ADVERTISEMENT

Their demise is greatly exaggerated....

They will struggle greatly w/o there 2 bigs. They need to get a few new recruits in for next year because other than Connelly & Mason there is a major drop off in talent. And both are D1 bound & graduate. Ursuline will get a good test with St. E’s next week. Should be a battle of Mayo & Connelly. See if any of the coaches in the state took notice of the box & 1 vs Connelly the other day where she struggled greatly and was limited single digit pts & lost to a below average Central Dauphian

Gotta say this for Maggie Connolly - the trust in your teammates to dish off to a freshman for a wing 3, which is NOT an easy shot under any circumstances for the dub is remarkable. That goes a long way in building team unity and confidence. Ursuline won't give up the chip easily.

Reactions: big-picture
Noonan should win with all of the talent he has had over the past 7-8 years. He has proven that he wins only if he has talent. How hard is that? He has 3 D1 players currently on his roster. Plus he has had over a dozen D1 players during his time there. He proved he couldn’t beat anyone this year woth some talented and athletic kids. Now he gets two D1 players back & he is back to being John Wooden? He should be thanking Sanford for handing them the game today. Sanford coach blew it in SO many ways.

Reactions: DEGirlsBballFan
Noonan should win with all of the talent he has had over the past 7-8 years. He has proven that he wins only if he has talent. How hard is that? He has 3 D1 players currently on his roster. Plus he has had over a dozen D1 players during his time there. He proved he couldn’t beat anyone this year woth some talented and athletic kids. Now he gets two D1 players back & he is back to being John Wooden? He should be thanking Sanford for handing them the game today. Sanford coach blew it in SO many ways.
Having D1 talent disqualifies you from being a great coach? This was supposed do be their down year yet here we are. They just knocked of a team many projected to win the title.

Talent matters, but when that talent isn't 100%, coaching matters. Noonan and his staff have those girls prepared for every conceivable situation and it shows.

Reactions: sals2011
Having D1 talent disqualifies you from being a great coach? This was supposed do be their down year yet here we are. They just knocked of a team many projected to win the title.

Meaning you should dominate If have multiple D1 players. Meaning he lost 9 games this season vs lesser talented teams this year. At least 3 games this year if he was that good of a coach his team wouldn’t have lost. Central Dauphin, Wm. Penn Charter, & St. E’s. They almost lost to Archbishop Spaulding. I’m sure he is a great guy and has the gift of gab from what I know. But average coach with WELL WELL above average talent that should win and should never have 9 loss seasons with the loads of talent he gets every year.

Filmore00- thank you so much for your candid info. I believe the coaches at some of these private schools benefit from having a safe educational environment allows them to get some of the top players in the state or sometimes the surrounding areas. Notice I said some of the top players. It doesn’t mean they get the best players but sometime they do in some years of coaching. Every year a lot of the top players test to get into these schools because of the educational background and how they can prepare you for college. Does this mean some of the public schools offer that no it doesn’t. Some public schools offer more. The difference is the environment for some of these kids dealing with as far as learning. Also it could be kids psych background. The point is the private schools at some point get a lot of these kids walking through their doors to come there in hopes for a chance at a better life. Basketball is also a big part of it. Really any sport. Some of these schools are getting marginally better coachable, system ready, and in most case athletically talented kids. Public schools get kids sometime just starting out ever. So public school coach may have to teach from scratch. Whereas a private school’s coach is teaching style of play, temper meant, skills, and team play. I’ve been to many of these schools practices. And the practices are vastly different. Some of the privates are teaching some skill work in the beginning and gradually moving to team play, and concepts of the plays there running versus and public school coach may not be able to begin to start running play until almost scrimmage time or the first game. Do I think john noon and or Stan waterman coach in that type of arena? I don’t know. But do I think they are the best coaches cause they don’t. No. I guess the question is. Should we base the best coaches on wins, loses, and championships? Should we base it on how may kids they get into college and move on to the pros? Or should we base it on how they impacts kids from the stars to the 15th player on the bench?

I don’t think there best. I think they do a good job with what they get from year to year. It’s just that what they get is better most in Delaware….

Reactions: Nightrain44
Come on man, you have to give Noonan his props, every year its the same,lost Adrianna still won,lost Allysa and Kailyn still won! Lost Alisha,Yanni, and Kryshell but they still winning,give that man and his staff some respect lol

Reactions: TeamTom5655
Filmore00- thank you so much for your candid info. I believe the coaches at some of these private schools benefit from having a safe educational environment allows them to get some of the top players in the state or sometimes the surrounding areas. Notice I said some of the top players. It doesn’t mean they get the best players but sometime they do in some years of coaching. Every year a lot of the top players test to get into these schools because of the educational background and how they can prepare you for college. Does this mean some of the public schools offer that no it doesn’t. Some public schools offer more. The difference is the environment for some of these kids dealing with as far as learning. Also it could be kids psych background. The point is the private schools at some point get a lot of these kids walking through their doors to come there in hopes for a chance at a better life. Basketball is also a big part of it. Really any sport. Some of these schools are getting marginally better coachable, system ready, and in most case athletically talented kids. Public schools get kids sometime just starting out ever. So public school coach may have to teach from scratch. Whereas a private school’s coach is teaching style of play, temper meant, skills, and team play. I’ve been to many of these schools practices. And the practices are vastly different. Some of the privates are teaching some skill work in the beginning and gradually moving to team play, and concepts of the plays there running versus and public school coach may not be able to begin to start running play until almost scrimmage time or the first game. Do I think john noon and or Stan waterman coach in that type of arena? I don’t know. But do I think they are the best coaches cause they don’t. No. I guess the question is. Should we base the best coaches on wins, loses, and championships? Should we base it on how may kids they get into college and move on to the pros? Or should we base it on how they impacts kids from the stars to the 15th player on the bench?

I don’t think there best. I think they do a good job with what they get from year to year. It’s just that what they get is better most in Delaware….

Great points. IMO it comes down to establishing a culture and getting players to buy into that culture which to me better coaches are able to set. This can be done whether private, public or charter. I've seen many teams with lesser talented players in school ball or AAU win games or be extremely competitive against "stronger" teams because the players just play hard on both sides of the floor. Not just the head coach but the entire coaching staff usually contributes at some capacity to this success. To have outside parents, players, analyst or just people watching the game afterwards (win or lose) say "Wow, your team plays hard" is worth 1000 words. It's not something that is created immediately out of thin air but over time for a program. Good coaches learn through trials and tribulations, work on their own development relentlessy studying the game, and become comfortable in their teachings which passes down through the staff and onto the players. Noonan for example has the experience/grit, and although he has had very talented players over the years, you can't deny the fact that his players play hard and for 4 quarters which is not seen a whole lot no matter where you go to watch a game throughout the country.

I was going to post this in a separate thread but i want to hear your take on CR's coach in the papers down here. I looks like coaches down here are throwing in the towel and have a defeatist attitude Is he being honest or just taking the easy way out?

The Riders took a 4-0 lead in the first two minutes before Sanford shut them out the rest of the quarter. The Warriors scored the next 20 points of the game.

“That run seemed like it never ended,” said CR coach Bill Victory.

Sanford center Sam Pollich led all scorers with 18 points. Point guard Lauren Park added 14 while Olivia Tucker chipped in 12 for the Warriors including a pair of three-points.

“They get the best of the best,” Victory said. “The big girl, we had no answer for her. We had no answer for Park. We had no answer for their shooter. We just had no answer.

“This is elite stuff we have to deal with and it’s never going to get right. Private schools can get what they can get and they’re going to be what they’re going to be. I don’t know what the answer is.”

Kylie Kornegay-Lucas was CR’s leading scorer with eight points.

Laynee Ford scored five points for CR while Alexis Reid and Alexia Jordan had four points each. Reid and Kornegay-Lucas were both in foul trouble as early as the first quarter with two fouls each.

Sanford was able to build a 29-8 lead at halftime and was up by as much as 50-17 at the end of the third quarter. Sanford was able to do this while missing Allie Kubek who was out with an injury she suffered midseason.

“My girls gave me their best shot,” Victory said. “But the stage was too big and the team was too good. It’s not going to get better next year because their best player didn’t even play.”

Caesar Rodney was attempting to make the quarterfinals for the second-straight year but fell one game short.

The Riders will graduate three seniors from this squad — Reid, Zoe Scott and Brionna Brooks.

“They did all the things they needed to do to be competitive,” Victory said. “They gave it their best shot. They knew going into it how things were going to be. I’m proud of them for keeping our tradition alive and battling to the end. We never gave up the fight.”

I was going to post this in a separate thread but i want to hear your take on CR's coach in the papers down here. I looks like coaches down here are throwing in the towel and have a defeatist attitude Is he being honest or just taking the easy way out?

Damn coach, you didn't even make your kids believe they could win! He has solid players too, just gotta be prepared then go out and compete.... smh

Reactions: Sports_Fan72
Great points. IMO it comes down to establishing a culture and getting players to buy into that culture which to me better coaches are able to set. This can be done whether private, public or charter. I've seen many teams with lesser talented players in school ball or AAU win games or be extremely competitive against "stronger" teams because the players just play hard on both sides of the floor. Not just the head coach but the entire coaching staff usually contributes at some capacity to this success. To have outside parents, players, analyst or just people watching the game afterwards (win or lose) say "Wow, your team plays hard" is worth 1000 words. It's not something that is created immediately out of thin air but over time for a program. Good coaches learn through trials and tribulations, work on their own development relentlessy studying the game, and become comfortable in their teachings which passes down through the staff and onto the players. Noonan for example has the experience/grit, and although he has had very talented players over the years, you can't deny the fact that his players play hard and for 4 quarters which is not seen a whole lot no matter where you go to watch a game throughout the country.

Night train i don't deny everything you said. But that culture was already there when Val Whiting was there. Culture is when the standard is set before you and you have to follow. Noonan just maintain and demanded what was already there. But he still continues to get talent. Ill give you an example. About 10 years ago Newark high's football team was unreal. they won 5 state chips and had several of it players possibly could been pro. Now simpson was always a good coach. he always demanded the most out of his players and they was competitive. but for a couple of years the culture changed that they was winning every year. Now when the talent left does the culture change or does the talent change the culture. Simpson is still a good coach but the talent changed on him. again i'm not saying noonan is not a bad coach. but i dont think he is the best coach. Ive sat in on some of his practices and there no different than most practices ive sat in on. The best says a lot to me and i dont think he gets that distinction from me at least.

Damn coach, you didn't even make your kids believe they could win! He has solid players too, just gotta be prepared then go out and compete.... smh
I know it doesn't sound good coming from a coach but he is right, they were overmatched. CR has 1 kid on their roster that could crack the starting line-up at Sanford. The remaining kids are decent players and some can of them shoot the ball a little bit but they lack ball skills and need to be wide open to have any chance at scoring. Teams like that, once you guard them they are done.

Come on man, you have to give Noonan his props, every year its the same,lost Adrianna still won,lost Allysa and Kailyn still won! Lost Alisha,Yanni, and Kryshell but they still winning,give that man and his staff some respect lol

Now come on big picture. they lost adrianna and had Alisha lewis and maggie right behind her. they really lost something there!?!? So at beast losing those players he wouldn't make it to the chip. or he wouldn't win the chip. yeah that's a big cancellation prize. for most teams that's the highlight of a five year career. And he still has talent on that team. talent that most teams would love to have start for them. Sorry he isnt the best to me. good coach but not the best. again in my eyes

Night train i don't deny everything you said. But that culture was already there when Val Whiting was there. Culture is when the standard is set before you and you have to follow. Noonan just maintain and demanded what was already there. But he still continues to get talent. Ill give you an example. About 10 years ago Newark high's football team was unreal. they won 5 state chips and had several of it players possibly could been pro. Now simpson was always a good coach. he always demanded the most out of his players and they was competitive. but for a couple of years the culture changed that they was winning every year. Now when the talent left does the culture change or does the talent change the culture. Simpson is still a good coach but the talent changed on him. again i'm not saying noonan is not a bad coach. but i dont think he is the best coach. Ive sat in on some of his practices and there no different than most practices ive sat in on. The best says a lot to me and i dont think he gets that distinction from me at least.

Enlightening. You know better than me when it comes to history. I've only been in DE for a little over 10yrs so I can only comment within that timeframe. Just goes to show you that although a good coach and program can automatically attract talent, one shouldn't strictly rely on that. I read people on here complaining about programs "recruiting". Call it what you want but at the end of the day a good coach and staff should continue year in & out to search for players who have the potential to keep the culture alive. Don't get me wrong I'm not buddy buddy with Noonan but can appreciate the way his girls play. There was a story out there about how he went to an AAU game to watch Connolly while in middle school I believe....this is just to say even after Val's time he still apparently made efforts to bring in quality players and develop them to a point. I'm far from an Ursuline homer but love good, high IQ basketball so he gets my respect and part admiration.

I guess I'm Pro Noonan!I used to badger my daughter after games because I felt she didn't do the things she trained on , One day she told me Dad my job is to get rebounds and play defense and I'm happy. She never made all-state or even honorable mention in high school, but that's okay because she won 3 Championships, free college D2. 4th highest rebounder in PSAC and and top 3 shooting percentage. And without a doubt Noonan and staff played a big part from the practices, individual time,as well as the private meetings they shared....Sometimes as adults we try to live our lives through children,without knowing how they feel.#positivitytrumpsall

Great insight, BP.

That's something else I've noticed - those girls LOVE playing for John Noonan. Not saying he's the only player's coach in the state, but anytime you have a walking wounded 9-10 team just a couple of steps away from a four-peat, that says a lot about the closeness of that team and the respect they have for their coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT