ADVERTISEMENT

Top Players?

Apr 23, 2018
From what I've seen/heard so far and based off last year's all state (I'm sure i missed some guys)....

Pitchers:
Silan (Caravel)
Erickson (Cape)
Holiday (Caravel)
Wooten (MTown)
Finchiaro (St G)

Catchers:
Savage (Cape)
Frechette (Sallies)
Sinko (St Marks)

1st Base:
Ludman (St Marks)
McClendon (MTown)

2nd Base:
Gioffre (Archmere)

3rd Base:
Maguire (Sallies)
Buglio (N. Charter)

Short Stop:
Gelof (Cape)
Collins (Central)
Megginson (Hodgson)

Outfielders:
Hardcastle (RLC)
Elliott (Cape)
Fields (Appo)
Willis (RLC)
Riley (St G)
Walls (MTown)
Greenly (Milford)

Utility:
Thomas (St E)
Silan (Caravel)
Valentine (Sanford)

From what I've seen/heard so far and based off last year's all state (I'm sure i missed some guys)....

Pitchers:
Silan (Caravel)
Erickson (Cape)
Holiday (Caravel)
Wooten (MTown)
Finchiaro (St G)

Catchers:
Savage (Cape)
Frechette (Sallies)
Sinko (St Marks)

1st Base:
Ludman (St Marks)
McClendon (MTown)

2nd Base:
Gioffre (Archmere)

3rd Base:
Maguire (Sallies)
Buglio (N. Charter)

Short Stop:
Gelof (Cape)
Collins (Central)
Megginson (Hodgson)

Outfielders:
Hardcastle (RLC)
Elliott (Cape)
Fields (Appo)
Willis (RLC)
Riley (St G)
Walls (MTown)
Greenly (Milford)

Utility:
Thomas (St E)
Silan (Caravel)
Valentine (Sanford)
It's getting late get to bed you got school tomorrow

Ok voice of reason Gelof is the best SS in State both defensively and offensively by a wide margin. Gialardi is a very good HS shortstop, not take anything away from him but people it’s not close by any measure.

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
Ok voice of reason Gelof is the best SS in State both defensively and offensively by a wide margin. Gialardi is a very good HS shortstop, not take anything away from him but people it’s not close by any measure.
Seen both of them play a lot Gialardi is no doubt A better defense of player

Seen both of them play a lot Gialardi is no doubt A better defense of player

Gelof hands down top SS in the state , prob even best all around player in the state. Hitting .550 with 5 HR’s 17 stolen bases ( hasn’t been caught stealing in 4 yrs varsity , once picked off ) 2-0 on the mound 12ip 3H 15K. Potentially player of the year. And Delaware doesn’t have a All Defensive team (that I know of ) nor do you make All State for defense but if they did , he’s your dude !!!

No one from CR ?

young "team", Hatch is a solid player and only a sophmore, Rall is another solid player that does it all, pomatto and atkinson are having really good years on the mound as is platt. comegys is also another guy that plays hard...rigby is only a sophmore and will be back next year. just a good group of guys that leave it all on the field.lavender and lust are also doing a fine job on the mound.

Ervin has a couple this year another solid player, forgot about him & friend

Just curious where Is Gialardi playing in college next year ? I haven’t seen his name associated with an announced college destination anywhere or on this site.

So not on stats ?

Yes CR is 9-2 really great job for those guys but

9 wins vs teams with combined 29-54-2 records
2 of those teams with a better than .500 record ( 3 If you count 5-5–1 Milford ) and you didn’t face Centrals #1 arm and beat the other .500 team Dover by 1 game by only 1 run
2 loses were to previous playoff teams

So again it’s who throwing against you and who are you throwing vs

Not taking anything from CR one bit I wish them luck but this is a top players thread and I see no TOP players

2 of those teams with a better than .500 record ( 3 If you count 5-5–1 Milford ) and you didn’t face Centrals #1 arm and beat the other .500 team Dover by 1 game by only 1 run

Not taking anything from CR one bit I wish them luck but this is a top players thread and I see no TOP players

I appreciate the effort you put into the research . But unless you are looking at each individual player , and the pitchers they hit against , you're just making educated guesses. Most teams playing CR have used their top tier pitchers .

I appreciate the effort you put into the research . But unless you are looking at each individual player , and the pitchers they hit against , you're just making educated guesses. Most teams playing CR have used their top tier pitchers .

“Most teams playing CR have used their best pitcher “ my point exactly! 5 of those teams have won 8 games combined. They might have used their top pitchers but that doesn’t make them quality pitchers

Reactions: baseballer46
Stats are overrated in HS sometimes, who are you pitching against , who’s pitching against you , who’s getting pitched to and so on. Not saying they don’t matter but ........

Then tough to say anyone from Cape should get POY you could possibly be playing in the easiest division as far as winning percentage goes ?

Reactions: baseballer46
Hey
Give the championship to Cape. POY to Gelof. Now let the real important "Travel" season begin!!
Relax

Then tough to say anyone from Cape should get POY you could possibly be playing in the easiest division as far as winning percentage goes ?

True the Henlopen is down but Cape plays the toughest out of conference schedule of any of those teams Riverdale , Appo , Middletown, Sallies and ST Marks

My comments are geared towards Top Players as the thread reads

Gelof hands down top SS in the state , prob even best all around player in the state. Hitting .550 with 5 HR’s 17 stolen bases ( hasn’t been caught stealing in 4 yrs varsity , once picked off ) 2-0 on the mound 12ip 3H 15K. Potentially player of the year. And Delaware doesn’t have a All Defensive team (that I know of ) nor do you make All State for defense but if they did , he’s your dude !!!

Here you say Gelof is top player in state and show his stats , which don't get me wrong hes one of the best hitters in the state but how can you use his stats then in your next comments says stats are overrated

Stats are overrated in HS sometimes, who are you pitching against , who’s pitching against you , who’s getting pitched to and so on. Not saying they don’t matter but ........

From who you have played not sure you can say you've played the toughest yet when you haven't played Riverdale or St marks

Doesn't seem like your using the methodology of bad stats don't count ??

Cape is going to get every teams #1 pitcher
Therefore Gelofs’ hitting stats are against the best Pitchers in the state. CR, until recently haven’t faced the #1 Pitchers and if they have, some of the teams they’ve played against #1 Pitcher May only be a #2 or #3 if they pitched on better teams. Any of you guys that played baseball understand this and if you never played but live vicariously through your son hopefully this explains what urbaseballdaddy is trying to convey. It is what it is. I’m a CR guy through and through but I absolutely agree with what he’s saying. Just keeping it real

Last edited:
Reactions: Notthistimebuddy
Cape going to get every teams #1 pitcher
Therefore Gelofs’ hitting stats are against the best Pitchers in the state. CR, until recently haven’t faced the #1 Pitchers and if they have, some of the teams they’ve played against #1 Pitcher May only be a #2 or #3 if they pitched on better teams. Any of you guys that played baseball understand this and if you never played but live vicariously through your son hopefully this explains what urbaseballdaddy is trying to convey. It is what it is. I’m a CR guy through and through but I absolutely agree with what he’s saying. Just keeping it real

Somebody gets it !!!

Reactions: Notthistimebuddy
Here you say Gelof is top player in state and show his stats , which don't get me wrong hes one of the best hitters in the state but how can you use his stats then in your next comments says stats are overrated

From who you have played not sure you can say you've played the toughest yet when you haven't played Riverdale or St marks

Doesn't seem like your using the methodology of bad stats don't count ??

Because Gelof also has been doing it all as a 4 year varsity starter not the first 10 games of this year

I am glad my son doesn’t look at this DEPreps stuff, (now that I’ve checked in again I want to avoid it too) he would NOT like all the chest pounding on his behalf or knocking any other player or team. Not his style at all. He has nothing but respect for all the teams and players mentioned (very much including CR what they’ve done, Gialardi and his abilities.) We play CR, St Marks in season (heck IR is gonna be tough Thurs) and someone is gonna settle all these things by the time a final out is called at Frawley. I know all for fun but can we back off all this banter a bit till then? Guess I need to just stick to the Oldskol posts otherwise. All this seems way too early there is so much talent this year just on Cape let alone the State.

Your sons are very good ball players. This is a high school sports forum, where high school baseball is discussed. I don’t think people stating their opinions is chest beating. I also don’t think discussing a teams S.O.S is a bad thing. Being humble is a great way and a great lesson for your sons. Teams and their players will always be compared in sports and stats will always be the comparison tool.

I am glad my son doesn’t look at this DEPreps stuff, (now that I’ve checked in again I want to avoid it too) he would NOT like all the chest pounding on his behalf or knocking any other player or team. Not his style at all. He has nothing but respect for all the teams and players mentioned (very much including CR what they’ve done, Gialardi and his abilities.) We play CR, St Marks in season (heck IR is gonna be tough Thurs) and someone is gonna settle all these things by the time a final out is called at Frawley. I know all for fun but can we back off all this banter a bit till then? Guess I need to just stick to the Oldskol posts otherwise. All this seems way too early there is so much talent this year just on Cape let alone the State.

I don't believe anyone here is disrespecting any of the players on any of the teams, just simply stating facts about who everyone views as some of the "Top Players" in the state. Hence the name of the thread. And yes, this will all be settled when the final out is recorded at Frawley, but just like all the sports pundits on ESPN, there will be debates and disagreements and arguments until then, and after then.

Also, had an account for a long time, finally making a post.

Also, Also, Gelof, Player of the Year.

Trust me I'm not beating my chest nor did I intend any disrespect to anyone's kid .I just don't understand how someone posts someone's stats and couple statements later says .other kids stats are overrated , which is how I read it .Capes stats matter and everyone else not so much , just didn't understand reasoning .FYI I didn't throw any kids name out there !

I would hope agelof knows who urbaseballdaddy is lol since their sons play on the same team. Maybe you guys should reintroduce yourselves lol.

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT