ADVERTISEMENT

UD vs DelState---NOT

DENROCK

JV stand out
Feb 17, 2004
How many people out there that thought the Hornets were ready to face the Hens still feel that way?? State still has a few years before they are ready to face the better 1-AA teams in the country. They could have used a good showing against JMU but I think they were rudely shown just how far away that they are. Any thoughts??

Re: UD vs DelState

If UD would beat DelSate so bad then why not play? Both schools would make a lot of money from the crowds that would watch... In every state that I've ever lived in the major universities played in front of sell out crowds.

Instate university should play each other. Especially when they are both 1AA schools. The teams in Florida always play one another. Miami vs FSU now thats a major game but also Miami vs. FAMU come on or Florida Atlantic. FSU plays Central Florida and they are no where near the as good as FSU but they are instate. Could be a good recruiting tool too.

If UD is good, Albany must be freaking great!!! Lax2005, your correct this would be a great money maker and recruiting tool. But, UD is afraid of Del State! UD has 2 NFL players who were great. But, State has over 20 NFL players and I know of least 2 who have Super Bowl rings!
Fear is a factor for UD!!!!!

Happy camper 2

Just to let you know I have been a UD fan since 1963 and saw every home game from 1974 to the championship season.

One- money making and recruiting. Delaware makes a good deal of money every year no matter how good the team is and they generally are very very good.
Delaware sells out every game,that over 20000 tickets.Believe when I tell you every game is a sellout even if the seats are empty.Delaware does not need to play DSU to recruit.In my time they have been one of the top 1aa
or D2 programs since the 1940s.They have made the playoffs countless number of times and they have won two NCAA championships. They are considered a top 1aa program,period.

Two- Delaware has a history that proves they are not afraid of DSU and that is not the reason why they dont play them.They have taken on all comers
in their division and they have played them in some of the most extreme condition.Cold,rain and very very hostile crowds.Believe I have been there.
The play in THE TOUGHEST 1AA DIVISION BAR NONE.They have played Maryland,
Temple(when they were pretty good)and Navy.They have played in Montana and
the very tough confines of Younstown State University.Believe it or not they have lost to lower division teams like Albany in the past and they probably will again in the future. They might not be that great this season but one game does not make a season.And frankly how many "pro" players you
have in the NFL is no indication of how good your "college" team is .
So dream if you want but delaware is not scared of DSU.

JTK

Very good points, Delaware doesnt need the game for money purpose because like you said they sell out every game. They make close to a million dollars on every ( I know that sounds outrageous but its true..ticket cost, season tickets, parking, food, and venders it come out to that) So money isnt really a concern. And Delaware has a great tradition with always having solid teams however WHY won't they play???? If they don't lose anything by playing them whats the problem.

In Louisiana where I'm from LSU is one top five teams in the nation. However, they make sure to schedule the the cross town foes. 20,000 that number is joke. We have a student section almost as big as that. My high school stadium is bigger than U of D's.
I have no interest in either school. DSU or U of D, however playing West Chester might have history but does nothing for your school.

As an outsider, it boggles my mind why this game isn't played. And I can understand why the word "racism" is used because no one has given a GOOD reason why the game isn't played.

What if Michigan and Michigan State just never played each other? Do you know how much buzz is generated from in-state rivalries every year? (Well, obviously not if this game never gets done...)

Not being that familiar with I-AA football out East, I tried to come up with reasons why two teams who are 45 mins. away from each other never play each other:

I thought maybe the reason was because Del. State was a lower division than them (Div. II or III) -- but that wasn't the case. But even that shouldn't matter, because Temple is putting V'Nova back on the schedule... why? Because it would be good for the fans and the city.

Not that it should matter with an in-state rivalry, but maybe Del. State is REALLY awful -- like Temple a few years ago ...that's not the case either.

Someone I work with (who a UD alum, and a huge football supporter) keeps saying "the only thing UD and Del. State have in common is the name Delaware" -- which to me, is GREAT. That's what makes great rivalries. Hopefully your new president will help make this game happen, it would be good for the state, good for college football. (That comment also makes me think that maybe race IS an issue)

I've heard "it doesn't NEED to happen" -- well, true, sports don't really need to happen either, but in the world of sports, if two colleges are on the same level, and are 45 mins. apart...it DOES need to happen. It would be a win-win, and I'd love to hear someone argue otherwise.

I love the comment "we play them in 10 other sports, why do we need to add football" -- really? You can only get away with saying this if you don't know anything about American sports. Everyone knows that football is a big deal, especially in Delaware (I'm told), and since football is king in this country, why wouldn't you play in the biggest sport? Do you really think the average sports fan (or student) really cares that you play each other in (insert non-revenue sport here)?

The only reason I can come up with is Delaware is a national power in I-AA, so by playing Delaware State, they could lose their stranglehold on the state of Delaware, but to me...that's just being cowardly.

WOW...it's finally going to happen (because it's in the playoffs) and on ESPN too!

As an outsider....GO DELAWARE STATE.

Delaware won easily. Could have been 80 to 6 if they wanted to be. Maybe that's why they didn't want to play. Maybe they didn't want to embarrass a team from the same state.

Great job U of D! The score was bad. However, I think that the game was good for the state of Delaware. Did one else notice all of the school loyality and pride on both sides. The local papers and news actually covered and promoted their local schools. Even the community showed signs of life to acknowledge that the schools are part of the area.
Maybe all of these things sound basic but where I'm from it's harder to find a car without an LSU, Southern, Grambling, or Louisiana Tech bumper sticker.
I hope they continue to play for the communities of Delaware.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT