ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the best teams in each Division?

3A Middletown/Smyrna
2A Howard/Friends
1A Laurel

It's a little pre mature to count out Middletown I mean they did beat Smyrna head to head.

This weeks game between Howard and Friends will give us a clear cut #1 in 2A. Maybe.

Right now Laurel looks to be a cut above the rest in 1A. Not sure how good St E is I haven't seen them at all.

3A Middletown/Smyrna
2A Howard/Friends
1A Laurel

It's a little pre mature to count out Middletown I mean they did beat Smyrna head to head.

This weeks game between Howard and Friends will give us a clear cut #1 in 2A. Maybe.

Right now Laurel looks to be a cut above the rest in 1A. Not sure how good St E is I haven't seen them at all.
I don’t think Middletown will do anything this year. The schedule was too hard and they just got dominated on Friday. Also they play Img and Central back to back. There’s a good chance they are 5-5 this year.

Head to head they beat Smyrna, you make a point about teams matching up against each other, then sit and bring up central who is a good team but pass defense is not their strength. Look at the Hodgson game. Also I know your a homer so you will note that Smyrna is 0 for last 5 years against Middletown.

I don’t think Middletown will do anything this year. The schedule was too hard and they just got dominated on Friday. Also they play Img and Central back to back. There’s a good chance they are 5-5 this year.
as far as playoffs (getting in) the only games that really matter are your district games.. Sallies did put a crimp on them getting a 1 or 2 seed though. Sallies just has to beat WPenn and Appo and they will be the 1 or 2 seed from 3AD1 then MT will be seeded by their point index. MT will have more bonus points than the others so even at 5-5 they will still be a top 4 seed and have a home game 1st round.

If I'm guessing the seeds right now I would go

1 seed will be determined week 8 when Sallies travels to Smyrna. I'll take Smyrna in their homecoming game.

1 Smyrna
2 Sallies
3 Middletown
4 Central
5 Dover
6 Appo
7 Cape
8 STG

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Head to head they beat Smyrna, you make a point about teams matching up against each other, then sit and bring up central who is a good team but pass defense is not their strength. Look at the Hodgson game. Also I know your a homer so you will note that Smyrna is 0 for last 5 years against Middletown.
Teams change throughout the season. Middletown lost some big pieces this year which is very unfortunate but part of the game. Ik this might sound biased but if Smyrna played Middletown again Smyrna would win. Also coming off Img I would not want to face that wing T offense from Central @ central

BiB I know it’s not that easy to abandon how you feel about Dover? True the had bad week last week but if they are how you were thinking, maybe they bounce back Saturday…..

Reactions: BackinBlack86
BiB I know it’s not that easy to abandon how you feel about Dover? True the had bad week last week but if they are how you were thinking, maybe they bounce back Saturday…..

Wasn't real thrilled with how the Dover bigs got pushed around by Central's smaller lines. I'll have jumped on a new bandwagon come Monday .Just haven't decided who yet...lol Actually I know who..

Last edited:
Feels like that 8th seed in 3A could come down to William Penn @ St.George’s in final game of season.
Possibly.. Top 3 in each district get in then two at large teams based on index.. (the 2 district champs are guaranteed the 1 or 2 seed)

So
District 1 top 3 Sallies, Middletown, Appo
District 2 top 3 Smyrna, Central, Dover

Going to go ahead and eliminate HVT and CR

Point index for last 2 spots between

Cape
STG
WPenn

Cape has the inside track on 1 of the spots so yeah probably come down to WP v STG for the last spot

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Nobody has mentioned the dark horse in all this. Sallies. Their defense is legit. If they score points they can beat anyone. I'm interested to see how they do against Smyrna.
Don't think Sallies is a dark horse anymore.. Looking like a 1 or 2 seed for them. Gonna come down to how the Freshman QB can perform in a big playoff game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerman7
A few weeks back, I felt that St. Georges outplayed Sallies. The Hawks scored 2 TD’s to Sallies 1. The Sals kicked 3 field goals & won the game 16-14.
Their kicker is a weapon in tight playoff games for sure. I am willing to bet he will win them a game in the playoffs. Delle Donne seems to be getting in stride calling the O as well. If they can pass and run effectively and with their kicking game along with a strong D. They certainly can win it all with that.

Their kicker is a weapon in tight playoff games for sure. I am willing to bet he will win them a game in the playoffs. Delle Donne seems to be getting in stride calling the O as well. If they can pass and run effectively and with their kicking game along with a strong D. They certainly can win it all with that.
Sallies is an interesting study. This was a school that lived and died for the run. Now it is the complete opposite. I noticed this with their line play. They are flat out bad running the ball but very good protecting the young QB. Delledonne is having a big effect on the program. They would be a lot more diverse if the QB ran a read option more.

Sallies is an interesting study. This was a school that lived and died for the run. Now it is the complete opposite. I noticed this with their line play. They are flat out bad running the ball but very good protecting the young QB. Delledonne is having a big effect on the program. They would be a lot more diverse if the QB ran a read option more.
dove, I don't agree with your statement about this year's team. For last year, your statement is 100% correct where Campbell the QB was the best runner. This year I think the 2 RB's have done some damage and there is a coherent offense.

Last year's Sallies' offense sent old grads into therapy. It truly caused an identity crisis. Quite frankly, it was incoherent. This year, I believe there is a running game.

Now, back to St. G's giving the Sals fits over the last 3 years.....

Last edited:
I have seen a few of these teams play this year and nobody seems to be who I thought they would be. Sallies is always loaded with talent but didn't play very against Central. Dover struggled all over the field. Smyrna was better then I expected. Great athletes as always. .....Can't wait to see Middletown play. I do not remember M town playing at Central. I could be wrong. Setting up to be a very competitive season.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
I have seen a few of these teams play this year and nobody seems to be who I thought they would be. Sallies is always loaded with talent but didn't play very against Central. Dover struggled all over the field. Smyrna was better then I expected. Great athletes as always. .....Can't wait to see Middletown play. I do not remember M town playing at Central. I could be wrong. Setting up to be a very competitive season.
Great point about Middletown. I went back as far as 2007 and can’t find one instance of MT playing @ SC

I remember in the past Sallies fans lamenting about Central would only scrimmage them but wouldn't play them. I guess they didn't want to play Middletown either.

2006 Middletown traveled down to Central in a semifinal game. Central won 26-0

Its all about the match ups. I do not think there is a clear cut in either 3 or 2A. Friends Howard game, tells me very little. Yes one team will go undefeated for the regular season, but I do not believe either wins the chip this year. I will get into this prior to play-offs.
3A - Middletown still stays @ 1 for me. but if you do remember I did say they will NOT win the chip this year. I will take the field. I said the same about Archmere. I will take the field. Matchups. 4 teams to win chip this year in 2A - Caravel, Howard, St. marks, Lake. Again, this all has to do with match ups.

Just some random thoughts for now.

Since you asked:

3A:
Middletown
Smyrna
Sallies
Sussex
Appo
Dover
Cape

2A:
Howard
Caravel
St. Marks
Friends
Lake
Archmere

Peace and Love

Trust me, nobody is running from Sallies.
I don't think SC ran away from the Big S. For years, they just didn't come North a lot to play OOC games. Why be subject to the bus ride curse?

If BDN and Wells weren't gumbahs, they wouldn't have been scrimmaging every year. Now, with realignment, we don't have to worry about that stuff.

One of the best parts of the realignment is that teams can't hide from playing certain teams anymore. 10-15 years ago it happened all the time. I witnessed it first hand when I was coaching. Teams would choose not to play other out of conference teams for all types of petty reasons.

How coincidental that you bring this topic up only after Middletown loses an in state game. You’re pathetic, and predictable. Where’s was this post after the Middletown vs Smyrna game? You know, when you conveniently went MIA for a few weeks! Such a fraud! LOL

Funny how that never gets mentioned, right?! FRAUD

They have definitely worked on their pass defense since that Hodgson game. Look at what they did to Dover. The one corner I believe #28, was playing very well

HVT was 12-17 for 159 and 2 int's QBR 60.3 vs Central
(8 of the 12 completions were to Davis on little screen passes)

HVT had 3 rushing TDs the other 2 scores were fumble return and int return

Actually Hodgson played their best game since Henry graduated against central. Give them a little credit, I’m just saying if you check the stats they passed the ball very well that game . Now as far as Dover goes, their passing game is based on the home run which depending on scheme could be easier to keep in check. JMO

HVT passing stats by game

Passing​

DATE
RESULT
OPPONENT
C
ATT
YDS
C%
AVG
TD
INT
LNG
QB RATE

9/1
W 31-0
Caesar Rodney (Camden, DE)

9/10
L 7-34
Dover (DE)

9/16
L 34-54
SCHS

9/24
L 14-20
William Penn (New Castle, DE)

9/30
L 0-21
Salesianum (Wilmington, DE)

10/6
L 18-44
Howard (Wilmington, DE)

10/15
L 21-27
SGTHS

SEASON TOTALS

I would argue they had their best game passing just this past game vs STG. Well unless you want to include their 1st game vs CR

I agree now that I see that, but watching them play in person 3 times , that was what I was thinking, either way point is central pass defense not their strong point.

Really HVT isn't all that terrible. I mean they look like they have some players and they make some nice plays. They just have way too many negative plays, false starts, illegal motions, illegal formation, bad snaps. etc... and they turn the ball over way too much. Other than that they aight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT