ADVERTISEMENT

Why do you guys even try anymore

umm NO.. why would it.. For as long as Sals takes no public funds they can do what they want ... and dont get me wrong I do think they use the same independent vetting services as to determining aide as all schools..but there is nothing to stop someone from sponsoring or paying a students tuition to go there.. That happens at all privates.. Whether it is systematic and known by the coaches or school thats a different story.. I dont think it is.. But yea parents of means will pay for their friends kids to go to a school with their kids.. Particularly if their kid is friends with another kid and they have played sports together growing up..

I would do it..If I had the means and friend of my kid wants to go to a good school but his parents cant afford it and I could yeah.. why not pay it forward
Once again you prove my point. Two school systems operating under different sets of academic rules, yet the less fortunate forced to attempt to compete on the same field athletically.

public doing fine against privates in DE.. Tech and Charters as well as school choice hell its a free for all.. well at least in football wrestling, track and basketball its pretty equal.. but the sports that take money to play as far as expensive travel teams, club teams etc.. Baseball, Lax, Soccer, Golf ,Tennis , Hockey well not so much equal

umm NO.. why would it.. For as long as Sals takes no public funds they can do what they want ... and dont get me wrong I do think they use the same independent vetting services as to determining aide as all schools..but there is nothing to stop someone from sponsoring or paying a students tuition to go there.. That happens at all privates.. Whether it is systematic and known by the coaches or school thats a different story.. I dont think it is.. But yea parents of means will pay for their friends kids to go to a school with their kids.. Particularly if their kid is friends with another kid and they have played sports together growing up..

I would do it..If I had the means and friend of my kid wants to go to a good school but his parents cant afford it and I could yeah.. why not pay it forward
Sponsoring happens way more than some would think. I was speaking with a student of mine and she told me her brother was being recruited by x, y, and z. Kids who played with my son were sponsored at Friends, Salesianum, and Archmere (believe it or not). The trick is tapping into alumni pockets. The most memorable was way back when Elena Delladonnes travel team all wound up at Ursaline.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
yup.. hell a real good AAU basketball team all ended up at Howard.. and all were carpenters.... yeah they got a ship ..its all good.. and baseball dont get me started lol Good travel teams all end up at same school.. I am not complaining but lets be real.. its what it is..

public doing fine against privates in DE.. Tech and Charters as well as school choice hell its a free for all.. well at least in football wrestling, track and basketball its pretty equal.. but the sports that take money to play as far as expensive travel teams, club teams etc.. Baseball, Lax, Soccer, Golf ,Tennis , Hockey well not so much equal
Its not about doing fine, it's about having a level playing field.Traditional public schools suffer distinct disadvantages when it comes to funding and admissions. It's not a secret, it's just the way it is. Just admit it.

Cape B and G lax and field hockey,, how level is that level down there? every kid that is good in those sports choice there.. how is that different?

Its not about doing fine, it's about having a level playing field.Traditional public schools suffer distinct disadvantages when it comes to funding and admissions. It's not a secret, it's just the way it is. Just admit it.

no they dont sans Sals with their numbers but other than that the publics have the numbers.. and school choice allows anyone to build a program.. tuition is becoming a problem for privates.. Caravel, St Marks, St E's all suffering declining enrollments and a decline in talent coming in.. People are taking the free options weather it be tech, charter or public..Hell even Padua and Ursuline not as dominate in girls sports anymore not by a long shot,,

Cape B and G lax and field hockey,, how level is that level down there? every kid that is good in those sports choice there.. how is that different?
Perfect example. The most wealthy public school district in the state per capita.Those parents spend thousands to hone their kids skills in their sports. But that is money parents are spending on their children. Not money schools are spending on other peoples children. It costs every child the same to go to Cape, Laurel, Delmar, Milford etc...
And if you live in that district you get to go, no matter what. That is the difference.

The last private to win a state football championship was Sals in 2013 D2 Caravel in 2012. Wresting D1 St Marks 2009 D2 Cravel 2011

Perfect example. The most wealthy public school district in the state per capita.Those parents spend thousands to hone their kids skills in their sports. But that is money parents are spending on their children. Not money schools are spending on other peoples children. It costs every child the same to go to Cape, Laurel, Delmar, Milford etc...
And if you live in that district you get to go, no matter what. That is the difference.

SO whats the difference?.. your just poor mouthing.. so you choice there or someone pays for you to go there whats the difference the program is still stocked with good players News flash there are many kids outside of Capes zone "choiceing" there for lax and field hockey just like there are kids to Mtowne for football and Smyrna for football and wrestling.. Privates dont have the strangle hold like you think they do

Notice how none of those sports are traveling like mentioned before with aau basketball, lax or baseball.

of course well but not basketball,,Privates and publics have been pretty split on ships lately.. AAU hoops is not expensive and in most cases sponsored.. the formula now is AAU coach gets coaching job and brings in his players.. private, tech or public doesnt matter,

Reactions: Rockem sockem
SO whats the difference?.. your just poor mouthing.. so you choice there or someone pays for you to go there whats the difference the program is still stocked with good players News flash there are many kids outside of Capes zone "choiceing" there for lax and field hockey just like there are kids to Mtowne for football and Smyrna for football and wrestling.. Privates dont have the strangle hold like you think they do
No, what I am saying is that traditional public schools MUST take everyone that lives within the district. While private/most charter and tech schools get to select who they want. In the case of privates, they can offer financial enticements up to and including full tuition.

yup.. hell a real good AAU basketball team all ended up at Howard.. and all were carpenters.... yeah they got a ship ..its all good.. and baseball dont get me started lol Good travel teams all end up at same school.. I am not complaining but lets be real.. its what it is..

Same thing with softball — CA a perfect example

No, what I am saying is that traditional public schools MUST take everyone that lives within the district. While private/most charter and tech schools get to select who they want. In the case of privates, they can offer financial enticements up to and including full tuition.

so? That also means they decline good players admission as well and they go back to their public ..what a burden to have to take a good player because he is in your zone lol.. what you talking about only matters in terms of academic achievement and matriculation rates... Privates dont have all the best athletes lining up and they hold some combine to get it in lol cmon man

Same thing with softball — CA a perfect example

I dont know the inner workings about CA softball but I can assume yes they have a feeder system going on and a rep to make girls want to play there..They still have to test in though and still have to pay tuition .. Their softball field rivals most minor league baseball teams field in terms of turf ,, well maintained,, like I have never seen..but I am not a softball fan so I dont know that whole dynamic and the whole softball community to know anything other than I can see why girls would want to come to school there and play softball,, but its no guarantee

last 11 years

Milford
Caravel
Poly
Laurel
Laurel
Tech
Caravel
Caravel
Milford
Central
Tech

So as much as folks like to say privates dominate they dont, Its just people get all disjointed when they do win

Last edited:
I dont know the inner workings about CA softball but I can assume yes they have a feeder system going on and a rep to make girls want to play there..They still have to test in though and still have to pay tuition .. Their softball field rivals most minor league baseball teams field in terms of turf ,, well maintained,, like I have never seen..but I am not a softball fan so I dont know that whole dynamic and the whole softball community to know anything other than I can see why girls would want to come to school there and play softball,, but its no guarantee

last 11 years

Milford
Caravel
Poly
Laurel
Laurel
Tech
Caravel
Caravel
Milford
Central
Tech

So as much as folks like to say privates dominate they dont, Its just people get all disjointed when they do win

CA has been in the championship game like 12 out of the last 15 years or something crazy — I say that’s dominating. Granted, they’ve only won a few but they’ve been in it. But I get what you’re saying — overall across all sports, private’s really don’t dominate like folks think they do.

Sallies has an all boys school. It’s a luxury no other school has in Delaware. They should be at the top every year.

Really? have you looked at the demographics of those 1000 boys? and by the way there are couple other schools who have just as many or more boys

de looks pretty balanced to me. in md in certain sports there are huge disparities like MSJ wrestling vs any public school or st frances football.

well SFA is no more MD football than IMG is FLA ,, that said wresting is not big in Md at all MSJ and McDonogh yeah but in public's its non existent,,, That said there is a clear difference in Md privates than public's,, they play by clear and different rules.. No school choice in Md .. Privates are not part of MPSSAA and dont play for state championships.. but they do recruit middle schoolers and have for awhile.. what SFA has done is recruit kids already enrolled in other high schools that is the beef. anyway none the less no public can compete with MIAA teams in Lax or many other blue blood sports.. but they also dont have to. MD is a basketball state(Baltimore and DC) and yes privates have squads but publics can get somewhat close at least in the DC area

Point is DE is not like this as all are DIAA members.. We saw what happened to red lion when they tried to branch out from DIAA,, DIAA and the community squashed them down... cant do that Take that nonsense to Maryland lol

Last edited:
This whole thread is mute with how the football coaches at SC get the middle school football players to go to SC and not IR. Just the same as IR gets the soccer players to them and not SC. They do it with all sports throughout the bird. They have been actively doing this for years now. So this whole private vs public is awash. Shouldn’t be surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT