ADVERTISEMENT

Why ten games?

dovetail

All-State
Nov 13, 2003
I've wanted to post his for some time and now might be a good time. Years ago, the DSEAA grudingly expanded the H.S football season to ten games from nine. Maybe the time is ripe to add another game. PA has a eleven (as many as 14 in the playoffs) and it doesn't seen to hurt academics. The state is "leagued up" and schedules are boringly the same year after year. The state tournaments are merely replays of teams that have met during the season, especially at the D1 level. An 11th game would allow for more intrastate competition as well as having competition with other states. I'd love to see how Smyrna matches up to St. Joe's Prep or LaSalle wouldn't you? Another plus...the schools might like the added revenue.

Last edited:
PA and MD both start a week earlier than us.. Starting a week earlier and adding an 11th game during week 0 ould be great and easy to schedule OOS match-ups that week

Last edited:
There are a few schools who's athletic budget is pretty thin already. I don't think it is a bad idea, but would hate to see some schools that are already the have not's, suffer because of it.

You could make playing that week optional and only games week 1-10 count for p/o points.. That way teams could schedule d1 or d2 teams and not have it hurt them for points.. FLA does this

Delaware Starts later but ends earlier than most Pa teams. shouldn't be the case
Pa starts a week earlier and ends a week earlier for regular season games but allows teams that dont make the playoffs to play an extra game.. Like when St Marks played Oxford a couple years back... game was just a extra game for Oxford but counted for St Marks for pay-off points.. same concept but in reverse..

Md allows teams to start a week earlier but only allows 10 games...so if they play a week 0 game they would have to have a bye week 1-10 but that is only public's privates in Md can play 11 or more but only the league and conference games count for their championships or play-off points... Jersey is on the same schedule as us

In short if a we enacted the rule I suggested.. If a PA team played us week 0 the game would count for them in points but not us.. If a PA Inner-AC team played us it wouldn't matter as only Inner-AC games count for them.. If we played a MD public the game would count for their points not us but if we played a MD private it wouldn't matter.. Jersey teams play the same schedule as us so no change there.. Other OOS will be determined by their rule... If a team played intrastate then it would not count in points for either team but be a measuring stick and a chance for DE D1 and D2 to play each other without point conflict

Last edited:
Sports are an extracurricular activity and should be treated as such. 8 to 10 games of football without the totally unnecessary State Tournament is plenty! They should start 2 to 3 weeks after the first day of school and end on Thanksgiving weekend with their closest rival. Just my opinion!

Sports are an extracurricular activity and should be treated as such. 8 to 10 games of football without the totally unnecessary State Tournament is plenty! They should start 2 to 3 weeks after the first day of school and end on Thanksgiving weekend with their closest rival. Just my opinion!
huh.. your channeling your inner pickle right?

Reactions: 84rider
I've wanted to post his for some time and now might be a good time. Years ago, the DSEAA grudingly expanded the H.S football season to ten games from nine. Maybe the time is ripe to add another game. PA has a eleven (as many as 14 in the playoffs) and it doesn't seen to hurt academics. The state is "leagued up" and schedules are boringly the same year after year. The state tournaments are merely replays of teams that have met during the season, especially at the D1 level. An 11th game would allow for more intrastate competition as well as having competition with other states. I'd love to see how Smyrna matches up to St. Joe's Prep or LaSalle wouldn't you? Another plus...the schools might like the added revenue.

Couple of things to note:

Most PIAA teams play a 10 game schedule, a portion of them will schedule a "contingency" game for the 11th game if both teams are out of the playoffs. A lot of contingency games are played by one team who traditionally has a Thanksgiving Day game. Example: Avon Grove vs Chichester, is largely scheduled due to Chichester's traditional game with Sun Valley on Thanksgiving. That game would not be played if Avon Grove or Chichester were in the playoffs.

Most PIAA teams who make it to the state finals play 16 games. That state is much larger than DE and makes sense. PIAA did not shorten the distance to become a state champion, it just started the process a week earlier.

A lot of conferences closest to Delaware have 8 or even 9 league games. That includes the Ches-Mont and Central League. DE teams would have a lot of opportunity in the PCL with teams you mentioned such as SJP or LS, but you'd have to get on them early in the season. I am sure both teams would schedule Smyrna as their playoff system it is not difficult to make and usually find SJP and LS slugging it out to take on the Philly Pub team who they throttle.

You're also correct that in most of these school districts the education has not been jeopardized. In fact the first two weeks of the season are prior to the majority of schools even starting. So you are looking at two months (8 weeks) of academics that are juggled/time management skills for most teams. A negative in that respect is sometimes the crowds are tougher to draw as students/families are still using time down the beach/shore.

Cheers,

Busch

Pa starts a week earlier and ends a week earlier for regular season games but allows teams that dont make the playoffs to play an extra game.. Like when St Marks played Oxford a couple years back... game was just a extra game for Oxford but counted for St Marks for pay-off points.. same concept but in reverse..

Md allows teams to start a week earlier but only allows 10 games...so if they play a week 0 game they would have to have a bye week 1-10 but that is only public's privates in Md can play 11 or more but only the league and conference games count for their championships or play-off points... Jersey is on the same schedule as us

In short if a we enacted the rule I suggested.. If a PA team played us week 0 the game would count for them in points but not us.. If a PA Inner-AC team played us it wouldn't matter as only Inner-AC games count for them.. If we played a MD public the game would count for their points not us but if we played a MD private it wouldn't matter.. Jersey teams play the same schedule as us so no change there.. Other OOS will be determined by their rule... If a team played interstate then it would not count in points for either team but be a measuring stick and a chance for DE D1 and D2 to play each other without point conflict

Rooooooooost... I did not know that SMH got points from Oxford that year. Seems unfair as that game was not part of the regular season for Oxford. It should have been treated as a playoff contest. Rewarded them for just picking up a game that meant nothing to Oxford.

Screws teams like Sussex Central who would benefit from Interboro winning a playoff game this year and getting to 10 wins.

Doesn't pass the sniff test in my opinion.

Cheers,

Busch

Rooooooooost... I did not know that SMH got points from Oxford that year. Seems unfair as that game was not part of the regular season for Oxford. It should have been treated as a playoff contest. Rewarded them for just picking up a game that meant nothing to Oxford.

Screws teams like Sussex Central who would benefit from Interboro winning a playoff game this year and getting to 10 wins.

Doesn't pass the sniff test in my opinion.

Cheers,

Busch

They did.. would have backfired though if they lost.. only regular points... bonus points are only based on opponents first 10 games so would not have helped SC in your scenerio

Last edited:
They did.. would have backfired though if they lost.. only regular points... bonus points are only based on opponents first 10 games so would not have helped SC in your scenerio

So are you saying that Oxford only had 9 games scheduled at that point? If so, now I get your point. Basically that was not an 11th game for Oxford...

Cheers,

Busch

So are you saying that Oxford only had 9 games scheduled at that point? If so, now I get your point. Basically that was not an 11th game for Oxford...

Cheers,

Busch

No I am saying only the first 10 games for Oxford would have counted as far as "bonus" points for play-offs for DE team... Many MD privates play 11 or even 12 regular season games. If a DE team plays any of them only their first 10 games count for bonus pts.. They still get the regular points for playing the game

for example if Oxford was 7-3 when they played St M St M would have got the 7 opponent wins bonus.. if Oxford was 6-4 and then beat St M then St would not have gotten the 7 win bonus as only the first 10 games count for bonus pts but they still would get the pts for playing a D1 team

Last edited:
No I am saying only the first 10 games for Oxford would have counted as far as "bonus" points for play-offs for DE team... Many MD privates play 11 or even 12 regular season games. If a DE team plays any of them only their first 10 games count for bonus pts.. They still get the regular points for playing the game

for example if Oxford was 7-3 when they played St M St M would have got the 7 opponent wins bonus.. if Oxford was 6-4 and then beat St M then St would not have gotten the 7 win bonus as only the first 10 games count for bonus pts but they still would get the pts for playing a D1 team

I must be spinning wheels here. If Saint Mark's won the game, which I believe they did therefore it did not backfire on them I believed you meant they earned bonus points for it. So for them to earn bonus points it could not have been Oxford's 11th game of the season.

Cheers,

Busch

I'm an idiot. Disregard last post.

Oxford was 7-3 going in so StM only benefited by playing the game, winning, and getting the points based off the 7 previous wins.

Cheers,

Busch

By backfire I meant.. If St Marks didnt schedule them they would have divided their points by 9 for their index. If I remember correctly they would have had enough to get in but it was very close. By playing the 10th they then would divide by 10.. The gamble was if they lost they would have only gotten 2 pts and it would have lowered their point index.. As it turned out they won and got 7 pts... I think St M was just making sure their kids got 10 games and let the points end up where they end up

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT