ADVERTISEMENT

Will the 8th grader be named 1st team all state

EducatedEye

D1A Prospect
Jan 22, 2004
She has the numbers, and her team is now in the Final4, did she do enough to stake her claim?

Thanks. They deserved it, and it shows there is a precedent. And I think that might be easier for girls than boys.

It'd be really hard to leave Kulesza off first team because while there have been some good players this year, IDK if there's been 5 or 6 standout players better than her this year.

I can't think of five players better. It's a short list -

Alston - does it all for Sanford, sacrificed her scoring punch to get other teammates going
Selby - also very versatile, looks for her shot more
Anderson - Marquette didn't pluck her from Bridgeville for no reason.

And that's the list. Julie Kulesza should be first team all-state. DelleDonne and Rushdan were when they were 8th graders, so why not her?

She should be, but I don't think she will be, majority of the votes are turned in before tournament even starts, and although she had terrific full season, I don't think her name was on the radar until recent

My criteria for All-State would be:

1. How did they and their team perform throughout the year.
2. How did they personally perform against the same or greater level of competition.
3. How much impact they had on their team’s overall success not just scoring but leadership, defense ability, composure in tight games etc...

I say just off the top of my head Alston, Selby, Anderson, Connelly, Kulesza and several other players meet that criteria. Grade should not matter, but some people like to see players put in the work or reward Jr or Sr's who have some name recognition, but IMHO age shouldn't matter.

in my opinion it should be:

alston - POY sanfrod

Anderson woodbridge

brown dickinson

Connolly Ursuline

Selby concord

second team:

Lewis ursuline

park-lane sanford

griffin ai

brown appo

haith ceaser rodney

third team:

Braxton- young hodgson

speaks st- Elizabeth

kulesza Conrad

handy laurel

Bryson caravel

Now the thought process should be. Could that team win the games they did without them? For lewis she is a big part but she was not a major part, that’s why she got second team. And if you compare her and park-lane. Park-lane did more this year than lewis for her team. Lewis was not consistent this year. But if we all know how the powers to be will act. They will believe to give most of the accolades to the hire grade player. Because the freshman will take those spots in the next coming years. That’s why selby will get first team over park-lane. Alston will get player because of her numbers and what she did this year and last year. Anderson gets it because she is signed with Marquette for next year. I know she can play but I’m sure other girls would have been more deserving of first team. But this is what the projected list could look like.

in my opinion it should be:

alston - POY sanfrod

Anderson woodbridge

brown dickinson

Connolly Ursuline

Selby concord

second team:

Lewis ursuline

park-lane sanford

griffin ai

brown appo

haith ceaser rodney

third team:

Braxton- young hodgson

speaks st- Elizabeth

kulesza Conrad

handy laurel

Bryson caravel

Now the thought process should be. Could that team win the games they did without them? For lewis she is a big part but she was not a major part, that’s why she got second team. And if you compare her and park-lane. Park-lane did more this year than lewis for her team. Lewis was not consistent this year. But if we all know how the powers to be will act. They will believe to give most of the accolades to the hire grade player. Because the freshman will take those spots in the next coming years. That’s why selby will get first team over park-lane. Alston will get player because of her numbers and what she did this year and last year. Anderson gets it because she is signed with Marquette for next year. I know she can play but I’m sure other girls would have been more deserving of first team. But this is what the projected list could look like.

The problem this year and I think in the future I think the talent is so spread out. This year Stanford and Ursuline where the two dominate teams the in state but there's not just two or there dominate players. Once you get past the first team and one or two spots on the second team there a lot of deserving girls to pick from. For example Brown from Dickerson even though her team was average she's definitely a first team talent and hard to keep her off put I think the powers to be will swap her with Lewis. I will throw Selby and Anderson in that category too just cant she how they are not first team. But for the rest of the girls you got to factor in other variables that you and I have stated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justabasketballfan
1st team -

Altia Anderson (POY)
Chrishyanah Alston
Maggie Connolly
Alisha Lewis
Aahliyah Selby

2nd team -

Kailyn Kampert
Julie Kulesza
Megan Mallon