ADVERTISEMENT

Best HS football player you have seen in person?

DEfootballFan6

Getting reps on JV
Dec 1, 2021
So many members here have been apart of the sport for many years…who is the best HS football player you have seen in person…OR who is someone from the past that should of been a big time college recruit if they played in the era of social media, trainers, travel ball etc.

The best player I played with was Johnny Johnson.. Early 80's Santa Cruz High. Dude was incredible. manchild even as a Sophomore in HS

51QxsJSJLeL._AC_SX342_.jpg

The best player I ever saw my son play with/against and there were a lot of great ones but the best in high school was probably Stefon Diggs Good Counsel

51wCEUT+1hS._AC_.jpg

The best player that could have benefitted from camps and social media and all that.. well besides me lol.. Mark Wentzel RB Manhattan High CO 85. Saw him rush for over 300 on a couple occasions. 100yds was a given. Incredible back with speed, power and unhuman balance. 2 time undefeated State Champion wrestler as well. He is a successful engineer/architect today.

60c3bd7e98761.image.jpg

— Mark Wentzel, a Parade All-American running back who led MHS to the state title game in 1984, running for 1,000 yards both as a senior and junior, and going undefeated to win two state wrestling championships.

Last edited:
The best player I played with was Johnny Johnson.. Early 80's Santa Cruz High. Dude was incredible. manchild even as a Sophomore in HS

51QxsJSJLeL._AC_SX342_.jpg

The best player I ever saw my son play with/against and there were a lot of great ones but the best in high school was probably Stefon Diggs Good Counsel

51wCEUT+1hS._AC_.jpg

The best player that could have benefitted from camps and social media and all that.. well besides me lol.. Mark Wentzel RB Manhattan High CO 84. Saw him rush for over 300 on a couple occasions. 100yds was a given. Incredible back with speed, power and unhuman balance. 2 time undefeated State Champion wrestler as well. He is a successful engineer/architect today.

60c3bd7e98761.image.jpg

— Mark Wentzel, a Parade All-American running back who led MHS to the state title game in 1984, running for 1,000 yards both as a senior and junior, and going undefeated to win two state wrestling championships.
Great stuff! Thank you

Local guys: Duron Harmon, Luke Petitgout & Lovett Purnell to name a few
This doesn’t really go with this thread but I just noticed Smyrna middle school has a RB named Wendell Smallwood….guess that name will make an reappearance in the near future.

I played against Kwame and Orion Harris from Newark. Kwame was the no.1 ranked high school player, went to Stanford and was a first round draft pick. Orion was the no. 1 ranked defensive player in high school, went to Miami and was a 4th round pick. Watched Duron Harmon, Troy Reeder, Brian O'Neal, and Chris Godwin play.

I played against Kwame and Orion Harris from Newark. Kwame was the no.1 ranked high school player, went to Stanford and was a first round draft pick. Orion was the no. 1 ranked defensive player in high school, went to Miami and was a 4th round pick. Watched Duron Harmon, Troy Reeder, Brian O'Neal, and Chris Godwin play.
Did you go up against them 1 on 1 or vs Newark? They “used” to say Kwame was a holding machine lol….or they just needed to make themselves feel better. Ha!

One on one against both...Kwame was grabby but it was like trying to run around a mountain lol...Orion was an absolute stud on defense, long arms strong hands, he would jam you, stand you up and then throw you off

Reactions: DEfootballFan6
Quadree Henderson at AI was insane in person. His speed and cutting ability was unmatched. No answer for his athleticism

Darnell Savage - the most violent player I’ve seen in person. Violent runner and violent tackler. Legit took the wind out of players on most of his hits

When I lived in San Antonio I got to see some great HS football. The player I always remember is Ty Detmer. His last high school game was insane, he threw for over 500 yards and 6 TD's. It came out later that his coach (who is his dad) let him call the plays.
As a coach the best player I've seen is Chris Godwin, ironically it was his defensive play that really impressed me. He turned our triple option offense into a double option.

Macadoo Harrison Dixon only because I played against him and never tackled him

Brian Fields because I coached against him and we never stopped him

Paul Dunkelberger . Most people won't know him unless you're old but he played RB at Sallies in the 60's. All state player who is also in the West Chester University hall of fame.

Macadoo Harrison Dixon only because I played against him and never tackled him

Brian Fields because I coached against him and we never stopped him

Paul Dunkelberger . Most people won't know him unless you're old but he played RB at Sallies in the 60's. All state player who is also in the West Chester University hall of fame.
I think Macadoo coaches Glasgow now.

Forgot about Sam Cotton from Newark. Played 02,03,04. Saw him at the 05 Blue/Gold game. Pretty sure he rushed for 250 yards or something like that. Blue/Gold game record (?). Untackle-able. Don't think he did much in college though

Someone I played with that I don't think even played in college was Pierre Bowers at Dover. His junior year he rushed for 1500 yards and probably 13 or 14 Touchdowns. His senior year he was offensive player of the year for Delaware and had over 2000 yards rushing and I think 33 TDs. Unfourtnante he didn't get to play at the next level though

All these guys were dominant HS players in the 1970’s who led their teams to state titles. I saw many of their games, Dover’s Mike Meade was dominating. He led his team to a state title almost single handedly. Butch Simpson still shakes his head. Sallies’ Mark McLane went on to captain ND…scoring the last TD in the Parseghian era. (full disclosure, I am a friend of the family and now a Sals fan.) I will still stay with Ben Williams of the Wilmington High School Red Devils. His talent was muted by the pro set offense but that was the era.

As much publicity that Salesianum gets…I’m surprised it’s not more well known that Vince Lombardi coached there….You would think that would be something you hear way more of.

Keandre Lambert- Maury High School 2020
He is currently at Penn State (WR)

Kani Kane- Sussex Tech High 2015
Graduated from UD (RB)
Was an even better LB

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT