ADVERTISEMENT

Delmar Struggling to find games

The problem is the Henlopen Conference puts their scheduling out a fews week later than Blue Hen Conference. This is on the schools and AD's in the henney conference for putting out their conference schedules late and we run into these conflicts. If Delmar is this desperate they need do something about it instead of complain to the news. Also if they followed DIAA guidelines to offseason training and not Maryland's then maybe more schools would want to schedule them.

ECHS has a team, not sure if they're playing a varsity schedule this year but they have all grades at their school.
I wish they'd let us play some teams in DE...

looks like Arcadia is not playing football this year. They only had 16 players last year

The problem is the Henlopen Conference puts their scheduling out a fews week later than Blue Hen Conference. This is on the schools and AD's in the henney conference for putting out their conference schedules late and we run into these conflicts. If Delmar is this desperate they need do something about it instead of complain to the news. Also if they followed DIAA guidelines to offseason training and not Maryland's then maybe more schools would want to schedule them.
The article does not quote Delmar at all, just uses them as example of what the Henlopen conf is going through with the mixing up of teams. And offseason training? what are you talking about?

The article does not quote Delmar at all, just uses them as example of what the Henlopen conf is going through with the mixing up of teams. And offseason training? what are you talking about?
WBOC is using them as an example because Delmar has an issue of scheduling in states games. A little slow on the point I see. Well if you were a true “SouthDude” you would know that Delmar doesn’t have to follow DIAA guidelines on any training/ off-season workouts because the district is located in Delaware AND Maryland. They are allowed to do things that other Delaware schools can’t. You can’t be so ignorant like the DIAA!

WBOC is using them as an example because Delmar has an issue of scheduling in states games. A little slow on the point I see. Well if you were a true “SouthDude” you would know that Delmar doesn’t have to follow DIAA guidelines on any training/ off-season workouts because the district is located in Delaware AND Maryland. They are allowed to do things that other Delaware schools can’t. You can’t be so ignorant like the DIAA!
I'm betting that being a full member of DIAA puts you under complete control of DIAA. The Independents up north are "partial" members, and have some leeway in the rules, like playing overage kids. But when they get to tournament time they "should" follow all the rules.

soccer is correct.. Delmar has to follow all the DIAA rules.. Also true the Independent Conference schools are associate members only the overage kids cannot play in games vs full DIAA member schools nor can they play vs PIAA or MPSSAA member schools

This is a combination of things. Delmar's success, location and the playoff points system. Items 1&3 go hand in hand. There is no way on this planet that a D-1 school is going to schedule Delmar, too much to lose with very little to gain. Yeah given the choice between the 6 point layup against Charter or a loss to Delmar, most of those teams will be happy to take that game.
Geographically they are so far south very few D-II teams from up north want to come down there. On top of that I have sat in the stands and listened to some of the fans yap at these kids on the few times they did take the bus ride down. So I can understand why some teams never came back.

What guidelines does Delmar not follow? Or is this just something you assume? And the Delmar school district is located in Delaware.

Reactions: 84rider
Yeah I agree, that was a shot in the dark. They are in the Henlopen South and follow the DIAA rules. Geesh

What guidelines does Delmar not follow? Or is this just something you assume? And the Delmar school district is located in Delaware.
Yeah I agree, that was a shot in the dark. They are in the Henlopen South and follow the DIAA rules. Geesh

You both are clearly in the dark. Do a little research. Delmar is a unique district and is operated in both MD and DE. Hence the Delmar slogan the little town too big for one state. The athletes of Delmar do offseason training that is different than any public school in DE because it is a school district that is operated in 2 states! No shots in the dark, just facts based upon what Delmar athletics have been doing for years now.

The school district is operated in one state, the place where the school is located, Delmar, De. The only thing that is different is elementary school, that’s 5th grade and under fall under the Wicomico school board. 6th and above grades are all DIAA.

So you know for a fact that they follow DIAA offseason regulations? Come on man you are just going off of what you think.

Your confusing school board oversite with state athletic associations. Delmar are DIAA members and must follow DIAA rules period as it pertains to athletics. MPSSAA which is Maryland’s HS athetic association and has nothing to do with Delmar. Furthermore MPSSAA rules mirror DIAA as it pertains to out of season “practices”. Training and practicing are two different things so not sure what your saying. If Delmar is practicing out of season that is a violation in DE and MD. I think your talking out of your ass and I don’t have any love for Delmar or their fans. If your going to accuse a program of cheating then bring some facts and instances and don’t talk in circles with everyone knows or what not.

Last edited:
I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know what goes on down there. Would it surprise me if the were paracticing out of season? Probably not but I wouldn’t accuse them of it without solid proof. I’m sure many programs push the envelope and rules particularly in remote rural areas outside of the microscopes. But whatever I’m not going to fret over it

So you know for a fact that they follow DIAA offseason regulations? Come on man you are just going off of what you think.

look, I have a co-worker, that is one of those fired up Delmar fans because her son plays football there. So believe me I am pretty intune with the program. I follow Delmar because I like the small town sports atmosphere down there. Plain and simple. So imo I’m going off a little more than just throwing stuff out there. Can you same the same.

You both are clearly in the dark. Do a little research. Delmar is a unique district and is operated in both MD and DE. Hence the Delmar slogan the little town too big for one state. The athletes of Delmar do offseason training that is different than any public school in DE because it is a school district that is operated in 2 states! No shots in the dark, just facts based upon what Delmar athletics have been doing for years now.

Well since I’m from Delmar I think I have a pretty good idea. Do a quick “Delmar School District” google search. Yes, the elementary school is in Maryland and falls in the Wicomico County school district.

look, I have a co-worker, that is one of those fired up Delmar fans because her son plays football there. So believe me I am pretty intune with the program. I follow Delmar because I like the small town sports atmosphere down there. Plain and simple. So imo I’m going off a little more than just throwing stuff out there. Can you same the same.
I love what Delmar has done for all of these years. They are a great program. I wasn’t throwing any shade at their program. They are a great school with a lot of great athletic programs with sustainable success. I was simply stating what they do and why it’s hard for them to schedule games besides being located in the sticks of Delaware. The program can do this because of their unique location. I’m all about Delmar optimizing their athletic program they way they do. I give them a round of appalause for doing it. Keep up the great work public schools!

Ok cool, you weren’t throwing shade, I guess I need to work on my reading comprehension a little. It’s all good, my mistake not yours. My ignorance is showing lmao

Central struggling as well as Friends both still need two games. Tech needs 1 as well.. Both Central and Tech will end up with 2 OOS games. You have to think Friends and Delmar can get together. The only issue with Friends v Delmar is both need a home game so one of them would have to be willing to go with 6 away and 4 home. Friends probably wont schedule a 10th game being they have gone with a 9 game schedule 6 of the last 8 seasons. So for them it would be 5 away 4 home if they travel to Delmar. They already are traveling to DC for a game. I am guessing it looks unlikely Friends will take the game with Delmar unless it at home but we will see. 2 hrs from Friends to Delmar or visa versa.

Last edited:
Henlopen needs to start doing a rivalry with MD schools from the Bayside. Kind of like the Big 10/ACC Challenge. Some schools have played in years past like SC-Queen Anne’s, Delmar-Washington(probably some others), Woodbridge-Cambridge, Easton-CR(been a while I believe), and I know Lake used to scrimmage North Caroline. It’ll be tougher for Smyrna and Dover to face the Southern Bayside teams but they sure can play Queen Anne’s, Kent County, and Kent Island. Hell even North Caroline isn’t as far either. Problem is the Bayside schools start their season a week earlier and most of their schedules are full with conference games. I know Easton played 9 conference games last year with 1 OOC game. I don’t know all the rules of their conference but I would like to see a Henlopen-Bayside challenge where teams rotate every other year after a H&H.

Reactions: Rockem sockem
in the past 4 or 5 years the following statements have been made to me regarding Delmar's football situation; an assistant coach from a Southern Division school said, "nothing good ever comes from playing Delmar either on or off of the field. If we didn't have to play them we wouldn't play them." An administrator from a different Southern Division school said; "I used to like the extra gate ($$$) we got from playing Delmar at home. Now because of all the extra measures that we have to take due to the way their fans act it's not even worth it. I wish we didn't even have to play them." For me this kind of sums up the situation.

in the past 4 or 5 years the following statements have been made to me regarding Delmar's football situation; an assistant coach from a Southern Division school said, "nothing good ever comes from playing Delmar either on or off of the field. If we didn't have to play them we wouldn't play them." An administrator from a different Southern Division school said; "I used to like the extra gate ($$$) we got from playing Delmar at home. Now because of all the extra measures that we have to take due to the way their fans act it's not even worth it. I wish we didn't even have to play them." For me this kind of sums up the situation.

Troll Bait, please don’t response to this BS

If that school felt so strongly on losing to Delmar every year, then close the game off to the public. Get over your feelings about how good Delmar has been. Worry about making your school and program better.

Complete BS and 100% false

its called sour grapes, milford boy still bitter about going to the north......
Easy their champ. Milford is not upset about going to the north. In fact it was one of the questions posed to the AD by MIlfordlive.com this week in an interview he gave.

really, that same ad was trying his hardest to keep them in the south and he was bitter. I don't blame him, I would be to, especially since the school that bumped them up does not even have a football team.

My son plays for Delmar and I can say that they don't "do training that is different than any public school in DE".

Reactions: 84rider
really, that same ad was trying his hardest to keep them in the south and he was bitter. I don't blame him, I would be to, especially since the school that bumped them up does not even have a football team.
Since I wasn't in the room, I can't say how avidly he stated his case to stay in D-II but I am quite certain he did. However, it is not something they weren't expecting and they are not upset about it.

D-I is a numbers game for the most part and when you are the smallest fish in the pond you tend to get eaten. At the end of the day they will lace them up and see what happens. It's better than pulling a Charter and just pouting your way out of the conference.

Been saying it for years Delmar FANS Are the absolute worst. Zero sportsmanship winning or losing. They even lie about what’s in the concession stand.

Been saying it for years Delmar FANS Are the absolute worst. Zero sportsmanship winning or losing. They even lie about what’s in the concession stand.
Most Delmar fans are really great. There is a small group that casts the Wildcat fans with a bad wrap. However, as long as the few are allowed into the stadium, yap at visiting players, they have earned their rep. I still stand by my statement, Delmar is a great place to visit on a Friday night.

Reactions: sbb19940
Its the drunken fools who align on the endzone fence which is a couple yards off the the field.. I was there and visited the concession stand and heard them first hand. Not gonna repeat what I heard on here but lets just say what they were yelling to the opposing players was very inappropriate , Yes I agree a few give a bad rap. The folks away from that area were great fans

I still haven't had the chance to go down there for a Friday night game but I hear it's one hell of an experience and I've experienced some of the best and worst ones being from Mtown.

However, a Delmar game on Friday night is definitely something I wanna do at least once, mainly to see if it's up to par with what I see every Friday night at Cavalier Stadium. You're gonna have a few bad apples, that's at every stadium, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. As long as they aren't causing physical harm it's just words, toughen that skin up!

Reactions: sbb19940
I still haven't had the chance to go down there for a Friday night game but I hear it's one hell of an experience and I've experienced some of the best and worst ones being from Mtown.

However, a Delmar game on Friday night is definitely something I wanna do at least once, mainly to see if it's up to par with what I see every Friday night at Cavalier Stadium. You're gonna have a few bad apples, that's at every stadium, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. As long as they aren't causing physical harm it's just words, toughen that skin up!
Yes, you are correct drunk adults yelling inappropriate slurs is just words and teenagers need to toughen that skin up! Seriously dude, WTAF is wrong with you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT