ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Analysis

Jun 7, 2019
Now that 24 hours has gone by and everyone has calmed down, what’s the post game analysis? Here are my thoughts in case anyone cares. First tale of two halves. Slax takes first half, fast start, solid d, wins face %, keeper is dialed in. Cape seems a little shell shocked, but d is swarming, keeper hasn’t yet settled in. Possession game goes to Slax, but Cape is right there. 2nd Half is all Cape right up until the last minute. Face offs are neutral, possession game goes to Cape, Slax shooters ice cold, Cape keeper steps up, Slax turns the ball over too many times, but Cape can’t seem to capitalize. Last minute of play belongs to Slax as they retain possession again and keeper stands tall. I’ll take that lax game anytime instead of either team beating up on in-state opponents. Like to see the Sanford program rise up and play Slax next year to see where they stand as a program.

Now that 24 hours has gone by and everyone has calmed down, what’s the post game analysis? Here are my thoughts in case anyone cares. First tale of two halves. Slax takes first half, fast start, solid d, wins face %, keeper is dialed in. Cape seems a little shell shocked, but d is swarming, keeper hasn’t yet settled in. Possession game goes to Slax, but Cape is right there. 2nd Half is all Cape right up until the last minute. Face offs are neutral, possession game goes to Cape, Slax shooters ice cold, Cape keeper steps up, Slax turns the ball over too many times, but Cape can’t seem to capitalize. Last minute of play belongs to Slax as they retain possession again and keeper stands tall. I’ll take that lax game anytime instead of either team beating up on in-state opponents. Like to see the Sanford program rise up and play Slax next year to see where they stand as a program.
I don't think a tale of two halves, but 4 quarters. Sals was up 6-1 w/ 8 mins left in the 2nd quarter largely to possession, good defense and solid goalie play. Cape then scored 3 goals to Sals' 1 in the last 8 mins of first half, taking the 2nd Qtr. Possessions seemed to factor in as Sals was 10 for 13 on faceoffs in the first half. Cape definitely took the 3rd Quarter as they scored 3 goals to Sals' goose egg, finishing 3rd Qtr all tied up at 7-7. However, I must say that Sals really did control the 4th Qtr. After both teams scored to start 4th Qtr for a 8-8 tie, Sals then scored 4 straight after winning multiple faceoffs in a row to lead 12-8. Sals then gave up 2 "late" scores as they may have begun celebrating too early, not taking anything away from Cape. Guy from the press box said Sals won 8 of the 13 on faceoffs in the 2nd half (which makes 18 out of 26 for the game). I think both keepers played well but I would guess Sals had many more shots on goal. Great game. Nice to see the stands full again regardless of who won!

Honestly the difference maker was Riley at FOGO. Being able to play make-it-take-it, especially when your shooters get hot, that’s hard to beat. Capes attack was pretty damn good, just couldn’t get the possessions consistently. Think Sanford also controlled them in faceoffs as well but pretty sure that Lucky kid is graduating, Anyone know if Riley is a senior or junior?

Honestly the difference maker was Riley at FOGO. Being able to play make-it-take-it, especially when your shooters get hot, that’s hard to beat. Capes attack was pretty damn good, just couldn’t get the possessions consistently. Think Sanford also controlled them in faceoffs as well but pretty sure that Lucky kid is graduating, Anyone know if Riley is a senior or junior?
Just told that Riley is going to Georgetown next year. Although Sals definitely controlled the faceoffs last night for the majority of the game, this kid from Cape is still pretty good. If you watch CJ's interview on CapeGazette.com following the Sanford game earlier in the week, Lucky may have beat him pretty good in the regular season game this year, but it sounds like CJ more or less had the advantage over Lucky in Tuesday's Semifinal playoff game, especially in the 2nd half. Wasn't able to make Tuesday's Cape game, but the interview is consistent with what I was told regarding CJ controlling faceoffs in the 2nd half.

Riley is the best in the state but the CJ kid hung with him as good as the guy from IMG, Culver, Malvern, etc.

Was a good game with two good teams.

Not knocking Fritchman from Cape, kids real good. But he’s a wrestler by trade going up against a D1 commit, give him credit for not making it easy.

Sanford as a program seems to definitely be on the rise, but they did just lose their #1 pole and FOGO as well as a few other seniors who got solid playing time.
Sallies lose a solid chunk of Seniors; Absolutely game-changing FOGO, multiple attackmen, and midfielders that received a bulk of playing time.
Cape, similar to Sallies, lose in bulk; Most of the defense, multiple solid midfielders, and an integral attackman.

Overall lots of losses after this year for these bigger Delaware programs, but that's just the way it goes.

The Sals roster shows only 9 seniors out of 46 squad total. Even if those 9 are all seniors the rest of the squad must have had a lot of playing time judging from some of the scores in state opposition. They will be back. I'm beginning to think that is long as DiNardo hangs around Lax will become the in sport at 18th and Broom.

The Sals roster shows only 9 seniors out of 46 squad total. Even if those 9 are all seniors the rest of the squad must have had a lot of playing time judging from some of the scores in state opposition. They will be back. I'm beginning to think that is long as DiNardo hangs around Lax will become the in sport at 18th and Broom.
Lacrosse and Soccer are the go too at Sallies. When was last time Sallies won state championship in football?

I think CJ puts Cape in position to win a lot of game over the next two years. I hope he works his tail off during the off season perfecting his skills because he has the potential to be great. Cant wait to see how he does against some out of state FOGO's next year.

Completely agree on the Cape Fogo winning the 3rd qtr against Riley. As they say, “ the cream always rises to the top” with Riley answering in the 4th when it mattered. My guess is Georgetown would agree with that. Is the Cape fogo getting any looks right now in either D1,2, or 3? What does Slax have behind Riley? Anyone that can help?

Completely agree on the Cape Fogo winning the 3rd qtr against Riley. As they say, “ the cream always rises to the top” with Riley answering in the 4th when it mattered. My guess is Georgetown would agree with that. Is the Cape fogo getting any looks right now in either D1,2, or 3? What does Slax have behind Riley? Anyone that can help?
This was his first starting year at FO so idk how much attention he’s gotten just from 1 year.

And let me preface this by saying i don’t know the kid at all - However, i think he’s more of a wrestler, placed 2nd in the state at 152. Wrestling definitely seemed to translate to FO so we’ll what he decides to pursue.

Riley is a stud and will kill it at GTown. Great kid too.

CJ should feel good for how he hung with him.

Sallies had two other kids that took face offs during the year. #15 Conner Riley took a few face offs in every game I watched except for the final Cape game.

Sallies again receives Top 25 consideration in the June 8th USA Lacrosse/Nike National rankings.

Also saw they released the 2021 boys' all-americans and the player of the year. Still waiting on girls all-americans to be released. Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT