ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed changes to State Championship Tournaments

dovetail

All-State
Nov 13, 2003
I'm surprised that this did not come up sooner. Some politician from downstate has this up for consideration to separate the state tournaments between public and private. A number of states still do this, Texas for example. An alternative approach toward "leveling the playing field" is to apply a multiplication factor to a school's enrollment for purposes of tournament classification. For example , a private school with 600 students might be assigned a factor of 1.5 with an assumed enrollment of 900 for tournament classification purposes. Some states also do the calculation for public schools with "open enrollment". Will this work in a tiny state with less than 50 secondary schools? I doubt it. I don't know what is driving the pol's reasoning but it won't work in the First State.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I'm surprised that this did not come up sooner. Some politician from downstate has this up for consideration to separate the state tournaments between public and private. A number of states still do this, Texas for example. An alternative approach toward "leveling the playing field" is to apply a multiplication factor to a school's enrollment for purposes of tournament classification. For example , a private school with 600 students might be assigned a factor of 1.5 with an assumed enrollment of 900 for tournament classification purposes. Some states also do the calculation for public schools with "open enrollment". Will this work in a tiny state with less than 50 secondary schools? I doubt it. I don't know what is driving the pol's reasoning but it won't work in the First State.

For what it’s worth , this Rep. had a kid playing baseball for CR this year , who lost to Sallies in the Championship game 🤔

Reactions: ColonialGrad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT