ADVERTISEMENT

To the wrestling community

myrealname

In the weight room getting big
Sep 11, 2008
A few things to think on. As an old head persay, I've seen a lot on questionable things happen over the years, teams get slighted for state duals, refs unfairly treat one team differently than others, but what I've seen this past weekend has made question the sport that I love. I will not attend the state tournament this weekend and here's why.
1) The SWC has proven that who you know makes a difference.
2) they have shown that kids from small programs like Laurel and Mount Pleasant are not treated the same as kids from programs like Smyrna and CR
3) It's very obvious to all that talent is more important than being a good sport. When you reward kids that act like punks but slight kids who are by all accounts good kids, you show the younger wrestlers what's important.
4) if a coach told a kid to stay down, then let him wrestle later that day, those coaches need to be let go.
If they make things right I may change my mind but at this point you have lost a fan Delaware wrestling. I'll save myself the fifteen minute ride, $50 and hours in the bleachers. If you don't take a stand you will continue to be walked on.

A few things to think on. As an old head persay, I've seen a lot on questionable things happen over the years, teams get slighted for state duals, refs unfairly treat one team differently than others, but what I've seen this past weekend has made question the sport that I love. I will not attend the state tournament this weekend and here's why.
1) The SWC has proven that who you know makes a difference.
2) they have shown that kids from small programs like Laurel and Mount Pleasant are not treated the same as kids from programs like Smyrna and CR
3) It's very obvious to all that talent is more important than being a good sport. When you reward kids that act like punks but slight kids who are by all accounts good kids, you show the younger wrestlers what's important.
4) if a coach told a kid to stay down, then let him wrestle later that day, those coaches need to be let go.
If they make things right I may change my mind but at this point you have lost a fan Delaware wrestling. I'll save myself the fifteen minute ride, $50 and hours in the bleachers. If you don't take a stand you will continue to be walked on.
Just wondering........Would you feel better if all the wrestlers DQ’d were allowed back? Or would you rather the powers to be respect a referees decision and call a dq a dq and make all the wrestlers deal with the consequences of being dq’d?

There's a difference between being thrown out of a tourney and being DQd on an illegal move. So they should be treated differently obviously.

Reactions: myrealname
There's a difference between being thrown out of a tourney and being DQd on an illegal move. So they should be treated differently obviously.
The kid at 138 mayo isn't out because of the slam. That's apparently just why he wasn't top 4. The SWC could have still taken him. Sportsmanship is whats at question here.

Reactions: HandlinMyBiz
And I'll add. With the things that occurred it makes it tough for young new coaches to want to continue to work to build up these smaller programs. The deck is heavily stacked against them. They have been wrestlers themselves so it's nothing new, all things they have seen and lived over the years.
The DIAA and the SWC seem biased.
Another thought, move the State Wrestling Championships to the U of D. many other sports are held there. We should not except anything less. If it's a holdout by the DIAA to show the U of D for not having a wrestling program then there is another problem.
I've talked to Senator Coons about the venue. He said for someone to reach out to him for assistance to discuss the U of D as an option. With his son wrestling he seemed genuine in his effort to assist if someone would just ask.

And I'll add. With the things that occurred it makes it tough for young new coaches to want to continue to work to build up these smaller programs. The deck is heavily stacked against them. They have been wrestlers themselves so it's nothing new, all things they have seen and lived over the years.
The DIAA and the SWC seem biased.
Another thought, move the State Wrestling Championships to the U of D. many other sports are held there. We should not except anything less. If it's a holdout by the DIAA to show the U of D for not having a wrestling program then there is another problem.
I've talked to Senator Coons about the venue. He said for someone to reach out to him for assistance to discuss the U of D as an option. With his son wrestling he seemed genuine in his effort to assist if someone would just ask.
Venue is a totally different subject!! I don’t think ppl have any idea how much places like UD charge to hold something there. So ticket prices go up, the food is more expensive, the list goes on. It’s not just the facility. You have to use UD ppl for everything that would normally be done by boosters or just volunteers. It’s an entirely different subject and can of worms. Let’s stay on topic here

I've made my opinions as clear as I can about 138. If I say more it will only cause me problems. I will say it's discouraging for me to see a kid like Kyle left out. I don't think we have our best 16 kids at this weight. We made it about talent when the committee decided on the new qualifier system, yet in year one a top 6-7 kid was left out.
I won't comment on the 220 issue because I was not there and I've heard a few different versions of what happened.

Thank you Coach Mike whatever happens from here is out of our hands it’s just a shame to see how political this sport has became. This is a sport of integrity and honor and right now Delaware wrestling are lacking both! Good luck to all the teams, coaches and wrestlers this weekend and may the best kid win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT