ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 - Separation Saturday (and Friday, too)

ReturnOfTheGate

All-Conference
Mar 13, 2018
The D1 and D2 playoff pictures are clearing up at the top, but the bottom half remains to be seen.

Middletown goes to Florida on a good note after taking care of Sallies, who now have to play a good Westminster MD team and a cornered/wounded Smyrna in back to back weeks.

Sussex Central did what I thought was impossible - keep the Quake from quakin. As a former lineman in the Wing T, that offense gives me nightmares (mainly because I wasn't an athlete), but Central runs that bad boy to perfection. With that defense they could be a surprise come late November.

Hodgson and Dover continue to roll along and Hodgson has a couple more conference cupcakes before the season finale vs. Middletown at home. Could they steal Flight A and homefield advantage in the postseason? Time will tell. Dover has Smyrna this week and if the Senators win, it's time to take them seriously.

Archmere gets a big win over DMA and St. Mark's could not hang with Howard, setting up a big game between the Spartans and Seahawks this coming Friday. The winner stays alive, the loser doesn't.

Howard has been on a roll since the second half collapse against Hodgson and now they face AI for the Flight B title at home on Saturday. Howard has Christiana/Mount/Glasgow left so they should be in at 8-2, but beating AI for the conference title and finishing 9-1 could put them in the top 3 seeding-wise.

Woodbridge is back on track and with three road games (Lake/IR/St. Mark's) before the season finale at home against Delmar, they must stay focused. Delmar...well they just keep rolling.

This week: 18-4
2018 overall: 103-31
Best pick: Howard over St. Mark's (Howard's athleticism and being slightly more disciplined than St. Mark's proved me right)
Worst Pick Smyrna over Central (I overrated Smyrna after seeing them put up 50 on CR. It happens)

Where is the numskull who said anyone could play QB for Smyrna and win because of the "system"? hogwash you need a good QB to run that system unless you want to run earthquake then you need a Knight

Jimmys and Joes trumps coaching every time

A stud will stand out in any situation or team. You need to stop making excuses for another overrated Sallies runnning back. Saquan Barkley is living proof that great players shine in horrible situations.

You just used Sallies RB and Saquan Barkley in the same sentence. Watkins does stand out even in a terrible offense.

QB play in H.S. football is way overvalued.

Reactions: FootballguyDE
Honestly how many good QB’s do you see in High School? Not many.

If you have a home run hitter in the backfield you’re good to go.

Smyrna has a freshman who is better then current starter and they refuse to play him. Current kid is not doing what they need, maybe time to make a swap

Honestly how many good QB’s do you see in High School? Not many.

If you have a home run hitter in the backfield you’re good to go.
Oh yeah? How's that working out for Smyrna? (and a few other teams)
Dover has arguably the best back in the state and SC blanked them 21-0. So maybe if you are talking D2 football, yeah. But not D1.

Oh yeah? How's that working out for Smyrna? (and a few other teams)
Dover has arguably the best back in the state and SC blanked them 21-0. So maybe if you are talking D2 football, yeah. But not D1.

God every single person on the board is hung up on The difference in your tiny states two division. Shut the Fuk up about it. It’s not like you have 6 different classifications man. Your talking about nothing. The sad thing is you all actually believe it like really believe it

God every single person on the board is hung up on The difference in your tiny states two division. Shut the Fuk up about it. It’s not like you have 6 different classifications man. Your talking about nothing. The sad thing is you all actually believe it like really believe it
So are you saying there's no difference in talent/skill/size in a school with 1500-2000+ kids vs a school with 600-900?

why are you here? All you ever do is trash the people on this board and the level of play of Delaware FB in general. If you actually are a scout - I wouldn't recommend anyone from Delaware use your services. You clearly are not very professional, to say the least.

Smyrna won 3 state championships and basically had no QB for the last one. The 2nd one Henderson completed like 2 passes in the championship game.

Will Knight was reason why they won.

WP won in 2014 with not much at QB.
Sals won in 2013 and anyone could QB that team as long as you can hand off
MT in 2012 won with Wade he was good but that team was loaded.

I could keep going if you want but I won’t .

Besides Frye I don’t see any real good DI QB’s.

All those Newark teams that won had great RB’s. I remember a few of the QB’s but nobody that really stands out.

Delaware football is bad . Get a beast in the backfield and you’re set .

Smyrna won 3 state championships and basically had no QB for the last one. The 2nd one Henderson completed like 2 passes in the championship game.

Will Knight was reason why they won.

WP won in 2014 with not much at QB.
Sals won in 2013 and anyone could QB that team as long as you can hand off
MT in 2012 won with Wade he was good but that team was loaded.

I could keep going if you want but I won’t .

Besides Frye I don’t see any real good DI QB’s.
All you do is make reference to the championship game, forget the other 11 games that got them there huh?
Ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: youjustme
why are you here? All you ever do is trash the people on this board and the level of play of Delaware FB in general. If you actually are a scout - I wouldn't recommend anyone from Delaware use your services. You clearly are not very professional, to say the least.

I don’t trash the level of play in Delaware that is a lie

I trash some people on this board and media reporters

And I don’t have a paid service nor do I seek to have one.

Would it be Professional and politically correct to start a service and charge your kids to tell them what they want to here. And lie to their parents. If that’s what you want there are 100s of them around . Some on this board

However that’s not me . Honestly is professional

And the level of play in Delaware is fine

I referenced at least 5 different teams that won championships in DI without a big time QB because they really don’t exist in H.S. football in this state .

Smyrna wins without Henderson but not without Knight.

Sallies wins without (enter any QB name) but not without Reeder, Dominelli, Viscount.

MT could have won without Wade but not without Godwin or RB name I can’t remember

Newark had Pressey, Snow , Cotton and a few others . The kid who went to JMU was a good H.S. QB. He might have been the last real difference maker at QB.

Jamie Jarmon at IR.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Smyrna wins without Henderson but not without Knight.

Sallies wins without (enter any QB name) but not without Reeder, Dominelli, Viscount.

MT could have won without Wade but not without Godwin or RB name I can’t remember

Newark had Pressey, Snow , Cotton and a few others . The kid who went to JMU was a good H.S. QB. He might have been the last real difference maker at QB.

Jamie Jarmon at IR.
So THIS YEAR, you think the teams that are in the Championship will be there NOT because of their QB?

Yes on MT. I already said Frye is legit. But MT has a good running back and the best defense in the state

SC is a no. They run wing T.

Dover is a no.

Sals if they make playoffs is a no.

Smyrna has no QB.

And honestly with the level of competition I’ve seen MT could probably win without Frye.

I haven’t seen much of Hodgson so I can’t comment on them . They seem to be really good.

Smyrna has a freshman who is better then current starter and they refuse to play him. Current kid is not doing what they need, maybe time to make a swap
People said the same thing last year, and it was BULL then like it is now. Just because a kid shines in a freshmen game, or does well in a JV game, people want to promote them. Most of the time they are not ready, and the coaches can evaluate that much better than Dad or Uncle sitting in the stands.

So are you saying there's no difference in talent/skill/size in a school with 1500-2000+ kids vs a school with 600-900?

It depends but for the most part no. The mix of students is important. Could be 1800 girls in the school. Or the school could be known for the band so kids go there for that. So many factors. Also Coaching plays more of a role in HS then some of you believe. My main argument honestly is how this board more then any other believe that a super star player in a lower division could not be in a higher one. There are countless 4 and 5 star athletes that attend very small schools. They could ball on any roster, in any school. To say X running back could not do so in a higher division is dumb. Considering that if X running back was playing in a higher division they also would be playing at a school with more kids.

It honestly depends nowadays because of school choice and different options. For example - Delcastle has close to 1500 kids and hasn't been good at football since the 80s.

Howard will never reach 1000 kids and is constantly in the conversation in the D2 playoffs. Both are Vo-Tech schools, Delcastle has the better location but Howard has built a rep as a good football school, thanks to Dan Ritter, who was a former Delcastle assistant, btw.

@prepfootballstars, math.....for example purposes only....if a school with a male population of 500 plays a school with a male population of 1000, the bigger school would obviously based on math have a bigger pool of players to choose from who are bigger, stronger and faster. Hopefully you understand where I’m coming from, so logically the comparison of a D1 vs D2 school in football comes fourth. It’s not about how many divisions and counties a state has its math, pure and simple.
Disclaimer, this is basic math it doesn’t take school of choice or any other data into account.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
You obviously haven't seen Middletown, Hodgson, or Dover play. They have more numbers, they are deeper in athletes, less kids go both ways, lineman are bigger, etc. No D2 team can stay within 20 points of any of tgest teams right now. Middletown puts 35-40+ on the top three D2 teams 10 games out of 10.

Honestly, I would be highly intrigued of a Middletown/Delmar game. I think it would be interesting. Delmar seems like they can score at will down in D2, much like Middletown can at D1. I think it would be a good game to watch, and both fan bases I think are top among the state as far as community involvement with the team.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would be highly intrigued of a Middletown/Delmar game. I think it would be interesting. Delmar seems like they can score at will down in D2, much like Middletown can at D1. I think it would be a good game to watch
I agree that it would be for a half. Middletown has to many weapons to keep up with. Line depth and rotation would eventually wear Delmar down in the second half. Middletown 40-14.

Honestly, I would be highly intrigued of a Middletown/Delmar game. I think it would be interesting. Delmar seems like they can score at will down in D2, much like Middletown can at D1. I think it would be a good game to watch, and both fan bases I think are top among the state as far as community involvement with the team.
Middletown would blow them out so easily.

Reactions: 8484ron
I seem to remember the 1998(?) D2 state title game between MT (coached by BDN) and Delmar. MT was D2 but still had probably more than twice the enrollment of Delmar. MT was a solid favorite. Delmar won 36-7.

A stud is a stud no matter you put them they will stand out in a group. The Sallies running backs just lack skill not strength. You have to posess a special vision, reflexes, and agility to get out of tight spaces.

You obviously haven't seen Middletown, Hodgson, or Dover play. They have more numbers, they are deeper in athletes, less kids go both ways, lineman are bigger, etc. No D2 team can stay within 20 points of any of tgest teams right now. Middletown puts 35-40+ on the top three D2 teams 10 games out of 10.

I have watched one Dover game in person and have watched every game this year complete game films of the following teams. Full disclosure we only are watching teams with prospects that have been on our radar. Some at the request of others like recently central.

Middletown
Dover
Smyrna
Delmar
AI DuPont

Hodgson only two games
Recently two games of central
Salesianum three games

I cannot speak on the other D2 games teams in the state considering I have only seen a limited number of Highlights of certain players. But the two I have watched every snap I believe I can give a honest breakdown.

Middletown I do believe is the deepest team in Delaware. But their strength is not in line play. They are sound in that area but the QB And skill positions WR is what sets them apart. Smith is a explosive athlete that is real fun to watch. Coaching and scheme also probably the best in Delaware.
They would probably blow out all D2 teams by 20 accept one. More on that later . But they probably could win by 14. Hopefully they come home healthy after the IMG game. I will be attending

Dover has some of the best athletes and top D1 talent in the state. The QB RB and LT plus they have a DE That could be special but is raw. But the difference between the top players and the bottom half of the roster is significant. This allows teams to scheme against those weaknesses I believe and it comes down to a coaching battle. I really liked the adjustments made during the game I watched Vs Woodbridge. More went into that then just wearing a smaller team down. Peace is special and kinda find it remarkable that he does not have a big time offer at this point. But as you know many things go into those evaluations. Hopefully his film gets in front of the right coach. Recruiting for RB is tuff. So deep accross the country. Could not beat the top d 2 teams 10/10 but I could see them winning half.

Smyrna I thought would be a little better then there record shows. I think they have the best offensive line in the state. Again the difference in my option between their top tier players and the bottom of the roster is wide. At times on defense they look a out of position or just play undisciplined. I know they are coached well and they have a stud LB. They need more consistent play on that side of the ball. Love the RB. They should be better just because well I love big physical and technically sound linemen. However your record is your record.

Delmar second best team in the Sate overall at this point in the season. They have two Backs Dennard and Trader that are special athletes. The QB who I do not remember last year is also very explosive. Shorter kid but can throw and run the option game to perfection. They also do not have linemen that go both ways with the exception of the Lilly kid. Who is a absolute monster. So the logic of wearing them down in the trenches does not apply. They are very deep. They also have a sophomore NT listed at 350 who has flashed multiple times on film. Looks like he could be a good one. Scheme and coaching is probably second in the state to Middletown. They also do not have a huge gaps in talent. Solid all Conference types at most positions. In a HU game I give the edge to MT because of the QB and WR matchups. But your not running against them and find it hard to believe you can stop a option team that has the horses they do. I give you 7 out of 10 Middletown. But never winning by more then 14.

AI DuPont is fun to watch. Chad jones has complete grasp of the offense and makes some unbelievable throws. They will throw it 100 times and throw it 100 more if need be. WR Match ups, speed passing concepts are their edge. Considering they pass block more then most the Line seems to hold up well enough. The timing of the offense and chads ability to get the ball out on time and in rytthem puts so much pressure on defenses. They can score on everyplay.
There offensive is so explosive and they have enough speed on defense to get enough stops.
I can’t say enough good things about their QB. Great kid from everything I hear. Middletown in a HU matchup would win about the same 7/10 MT However I believe they would be more vulnerable and could get blown out if the passing game is disrupted. With pressure or just matching athletes . Mt does have the athletes to match up.

Central I’m just getting into because of a prospect we are watching. They have state championship defense and coaching on that side of the ball is evident. Not much more to say right now on them but I plan to dig deeper next week when we look at Delaware schools again

Hodgson I rather not speak on due to my connection to the program. They will be a tuff out is all I’m going to say.

Reactions: DDBasketballCoach
I have watched one Dover game in person and have watched every game this year complete game films of the following teams. Full disclosure we only are watching teams with prospects that have been on our radar. Some at the request of others like recently central.

Middletown
Dover
Smyrna
Delmar
AI DuPont

Hodgson only two games
Recently two games of central
Salesianum three games

I cannot speak on the other D2 games teams in the state considering I have only seen a limited number of Highlights of certain players. But the two I have watched every snap I believe I can give a honest breakdown.

Middletown I do believe is the deepest team in Delaware. But their strength is not in line play. They are sound in that area but the QB And skill positions WR is what sets them apart. Smith is a explosive athlete that is real fun to watch. Coaching and scheme also probably the best in Delaware.
They would probably blow out all D2 teams by 20 accept one. More on that later . But they probably could win by 14. Hopefully they come home healthy after the IMG game. I will be attending

Dover has some of the best athletes and top D1 talent in the state. The QB RB and LT plus they have a DE That could be special but is raw. But the difference between the top players and the bottom half of the roster is significant. This allows teams to scheme against those weaknesses I believe and it comes down to a coaching battle. I really liked the adjustments made during the game I watched Vs Woodbridge. More went into that then just wearing a smaller team down. Peace is special and kinda find it remarkable that he does not have a big time offer at this point. But as you know many things go into those evaluations. Hopefully his film gets in front of the right coach. Recruiting for RB is tuff. So deep accross the country. Could not beat the top d 2 teams 10/10 but I could see them winning half.

Smyrna I thought would be a little better then there record shows. I think they have the best offensive line in the state. Again the difference in my option between their top tier players and the bottom of the roster is wide. At times on defense they look a out of position or just play undisciplined. I know they are coached well and they have a stud LB. They need more consistent play on that side of the ball. Love the RB. They should be better just because well I love big physical and technically sound linemen. However your record is your record.

Delmar second best team in the Sate overall at this point in the season. They have two Backs Dennard and Trader that are special athletes. The QB who I do not remember last year is also very explosive. Shorter kid but can throw and run the option game to perfection. They also do not have linemen that go both ways with the exception of the Lilly kid. Who is a absolute monster. So the logic of wearing them down in the trenches does not apply. They are very deep. They also have a sophomore NT listed at 350 who has flashed multiple times on film. Looks like he could be a good one. Scheme and coaching is probably second in the state to Middletown. They also do not have a huge gaps in talent. Solid all Conference types at most positions. In a HU game I give the edge to MT because of the QB and WR matchups. But your not running against them and find it hard to believe you can stop a option team that has the horses they do. I give you 7 out of 10 Middletown. But never winning by more then 14.

AI DuPont is fun to watch. Chad jones has complete grasp of the offense and makes some unbelievable throws. They will throw it 100 times and throw it 100 more if need be. WR Match ups, speed passing concepts are their edge. Considering they pass block more then most the Line seems to hold up well enough. The timing of the offense and chads ability to get the ball out on time and in rytthem puts so much pressure on defenses. They can score on everyplay.
There offensive is so explosive and they have enough speed on defense to get enough stops.
I can’t say enough good things about their QB. Great kid from everything I hear. Middletown in a HU matchup would win about the same 7/10 MT However I believe they would be more vulnerable and could get blown out if the passing game is disrupted. With pressure or just matching athletes . Mt does have the athletes to match up.

Central I’m just getting into because of a prospect we are watching. They have state championship defense and coaching on that side of the ball is evident. Not much more to say right now on them but I plan to dig deeper next week when we look at Delaware schools again

Hodgson I rather not speak on due to my connection to the program. They will be a tuff out is all I’m going to say.
What about sallies

I seem to remember the 1998(?) D2 state title game between MT (coached by BDN) and Delmar. MT was D2 but still had probably more than twice the enrollment of Delmar. MT was a solid favorite. Delmar won 36-7.

I'm thinking 2001 was the year the Delmar second half buzz saw sliced up the Cavs. Best hook and ladder execution I have ever seen live. Luigi wasn't happy that day.

2002 MT moved up to Div 1.

A little side note, the center in that game appeared to have broke his hand/wrist. One would have to ask current MT line coach if this be true.

Yes, Delmar beat Middletown in 2001. Beat St. E’s in 2000 and Howard in 2002. I believe in 98 Middletown crushed Delmar. In my opinion Delmar’s program is eerily similar to what it was in the early 2000s when they won 3 straight. Granted I haven’t seen many upstate teams but I think it’s going to be hard to stop Delmar this year. When Hearn and company have their horses they are hard to beat.

A stud is a stud no matter you put them they will stand out in a group. The Sallies running backs just lack skill not strength. You have to posess a special vision, reflexes, and agility to get out of tight spaces.
I couldn’t disagree more on this. Watkins is an undersized kid, but he possesses great field vision and agility.

Yes, Delmar beat Middletown in 2001. Beat St. E’s in 2000 and Howard in 2002. I believe in 98 Middletown crushed Delmar. In my opinion Delmar’s program is eerily similar to what it was in the early 2000s when they won 3 straight. Granted I haven’t seen many upstate teams but I think it’s going to be hard to stop Delmar this year. When Hearn and company have their horses they are hard to beat.
Sports fans

Any team that wins 35 games in a row / Delmar, 7 times State Champion Wildcats- 2000 thru 2002 / should be held in the highest regard by anyone that has an inkling of what it takes to achieve such a feat !!!

Historically Delmar is the smallest school in the State ( on average ) for the past 50 years. It has one of the top athletic programs in terms of overall competitiveness & is at the highest level in terms of CLASS.

David Hearn & the "all world" coaching staff that has been together for YEARS is without equal in Delaware at the High School level; PERIOD.

HOW IN THE WORLD DOES A PROGRAM WITH 285 Boys in grades
9-12 WIN 7 D-2 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS??? C O A C H I N G !!!!!!!!!

Obvious to even the most casual, I am indeed a Delmar "Homer" !!! However little old Delmar is indeed a football powerhouse & at times in the last 25 years has had teams that could play with ANY team the state / D-1 0r D-2. Just ask Dover in 2006- 2007.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the combination of: Horses / Schedule / Coaching / Injuries / Lady Luck / & Coaching.

Bring, don't Sing it, Nobody wants to come to the Cat Pound when the Wildcats are on a :Roll"

Whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Reactions: UD1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT