ADVERTISEMENT

2014 Championship Game

Congratulations to Cape on an outstanding win Saturday night. Their game plan was outstanding and executed perfectly. The Cape coaches clearly saw the weaknesses on the Sals team and exploited them. Unfortunately, the Sals didn't make the adjustments necessary to counter these moves.

One thing for sure, both teams will be back on the field again next year and both will be motivated. A young Sals team will be older, certainly wiser and with a big chip. Cape will be defending their championship, the team to knock off and next years target. I'm already looking forward to their next game. Can we fast forward to March 1st and the kick off to the 2015 season??!!

This post was edited on 6/2 2:48 PM by WoodenStick

If you had a team full of Tommy Otts', you'd be in pretty good shape.

As a parent of a rival school, I'm glad to see him move on. I didn't know he was going to the USNA as a Marine option, but that seems perfect. The kid has been through a lot and deserves the success he has earned.

I guess I'll now have to say if you had a landing craft full of Tommy Otts', you'd be in really good shape.

One game does not define a season. The cape goalie was the MVP Saturday Night no doubt. But, is anyone really going to argue that Ryan Kern of Sallies is second best? That would be absurd. Equally absurd would be to argue Ott is better than Friebot from sallies. Ott had a great game Saturday but i saw Kelly from sallies score 3 goals against him. I saw Friebot shut down First Team all state and all american Benson to no goals and no assists. It is fine that Ott is "your first pick every time" but when you base "the best" on one game you lose perspective of a full season.

all those guys you mentioned are great players. the perspective of the season is seen through the lens of who won the last game. what other measure is there? cape won. they won with kids who have attended their schools since elementary. sals is a great program without a doubt as evidenced by the number of kids who go on to play at the next level. nobody gave cape a chance except cape.

Hard to believe that some of you guys haven't figured out yet that the plan of both teams was for Benson to not be a factor. Cape rarely tried to get him the ball, and the few times he touched it he quickly passed it on. Cape's obvious strategy was to start the offense from the midfield and have the other two attackmen and midfielders move off-ball for the feed and shot away from Benson as long as Sallies would let them do it. What's surprising is that the Sals either didn't recognize it or couldn't make the adjustment in time. Cape offensive coaches are to be commended for a very effective game plan, and the players for its disciplined execution.

Absolutely right, Close D - working lanes from the midfield with relentless dodges, spread the D and look for the Sals middies to cover - which they didn't - leaving the D to make slides that were often too late. Equally problematic was virtually 0 ground balls in the Sals offensive zone - one and done with shots and no sustained offense. It was painfully obvious and even more disappointing that adjustments weren't made at the half. I could go on and on about this - woulda, coulda, shoulda... But, in the end, Cape won, executed a perfect plan, Sals learned a lesson and, hopefully, the Cape win will at least temporarily end some of the constant chatter about divisions and all of the other stuff that clogs these discussion boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT