ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Scott

The article is a little misleading regarding DIAA approved waiver percentages. In my 5 years of following the DIAA meeting minutes I have never seen them grant a 5th year waiver.. just doesnt happen

Transfer waivers or academic eligibility hardship waivers are a different animal then 5th year. The rules are pretty explicit.. you have 4 consecutive years to play once entering high school.. It doesn't matter if you play or not

What he could have done was get an academic ineligibility hardship waiver to play his Freshman year. That would have likely gotten approved

Last edited:
The article is a little misleading regarding DIAA approved waiver percentages. In my 5 years of following the DIAA meeting minutes I have never seen them grant a 5th year waiver.. just doesnt happen

Transfer waivers or academic eligibility hardship waivers are a different animal then 5th year. The rules are pretty explicit.. you have 4 consecutive years to play once entering high school.. It doesn't matter if you play or not

What he could have done was get an academic ineligibility hardship waiver to play his Freshman year. That would have likely gotten approved
Must not of seen it downstate they just granted one to a Newark football Player this past season

didn't see it.. you sure it was for a 5th year HS student to play? nevermind I found it.. August meeting..must of missed it or assumed it was a transfer waiver.. so yeah the proverbial Pandoras Box is open.. don't know what the hardship was though.. could have been sickness who knows?

Mr. Jeanne made a motion to grant Student’s request for an extra year and allow student to participate in all DIAA events based on the evidence of a hardship. The motion was seconded by Ms. Evans-Gunter and carried by a vote of 13 – yes (Waterman, Donovan, Williams, Eliassen, Cilento, Watson, Hart, Fitzgerald, Breeding, Evans-Gunter, Thompson, Bley, and Jeanne) and 1 – no (Layfield).

Last edited:
didn't see it.. you sure it was for a 5th year HS student to play? nevermind I found it.. August meeting..must of missed it or assumed it was a transfer waiver.. so yeah the proverbial Pandoras Box is open.. don't know what the hardship was though.. could have been sickness who knows?

Mr. Jeanne made a motion to grant Student’s request for an extra year and allow student to participate in all DIAA events based on the evidence of a hardship. The motion was seconded by Ms. Evans-Gunter and carried by a vote of 13 – yes (Waterman, Donovan, Williams, Eliassen, Cilento, Watson, Hart, Fitzgerald, Breeding, Evans-Gunter, Thompson, Bley, and Jeanne) and 1 – no (Layfield).
I Am Close to the situation and it was family hardship no death but tough times they had a right to grant it just like in this case they should let a young man who lost his father have that year back ! None of us know what he went through so we shouldn't try and understand we should let him play basketball , that is just a game at the end of the day shame on Diaa

Just a few facts.. The young man played freshman ball at Smyrna. The entire season...
He then failed the rest of year and decided to leave Smyrna an attend STM. He sat out his retake of 9th grade at STM. Then played 10th 11th and wants to play his 5th year as a senior.... Those are facts.

Just a few facts.. The young man played freshman ball at Smyrna. The entire season...
He then failed the rest of year and decided to leave Smyrna an attend STM. He sat out his retake of 9th grade at STM. Then played 10th 11th and wants to play his 5th year as a senior.... Those are facts.
What school did he play his 10th Grade Year At ?

I Am Close to the situation and it was family hardship no death but tough times they had a right to grant it just like in this case they should let a young man who lost his father have that year back ! None of us know what he went through so we shouldn't try and understand we should let him play basketball , that is just a game at the end of the day shame on Diaa
How old is he,??

He's only on Smyrna's roster for his first freshman year. I thought he left for St.Thomas More after his first year but I could be wrong.

I better question would be, how can a perennially weak STM team turn into a top 5-10 in one year. How were the transfers enticed into attending that little private school? Does DIAA ask any questions? Highly suspect activities in Magnolia, DE. Smells like Red Lion Football a few years back. Private schools.....different rules. Someone gave STM coach a nice hand of cards.

Do they relocate? Or do they drive in from their upstate homes? Parental rights signed over to someone? It happens.

It doesn't matter where your from for AAU purposes. It's a private school if parents can providence transportation for their kids than it's fine. I don't know in depth all their stories but I've heard that most of those boys play on the same AAU team with the same coach makes for them to play their high school with him as well.

Seen previous statements saying revelle played for Howard not sure how he ended up at stm but that's one heck of a drive for a decent school which means they must be helping with something ...

Seen previous statements saying revelle played for Howard not sure how he ended up at stm but that's one heck of a drive for a decent school which means they must be helping with something ...

You cannot make that statement without knowing the situation or the details. That does not mean that they "must" be helping with something...I see what you are doing here or what you are getting at with this.

Scott-Smyrna
Montanez-?
Bloodsworth--?
Revelle-Howard
West-?
Not sure who else they have.

Bloodsworth & West are both from Smyrna as well...they had a group of kids decide to attend STMA as a group a few years ago, some stuck it out & some left.

I also think DIAA should just let Scott play. The private schools play by different rules anyway (scholarships, limited divisional obligations/very open schedule, travel money, etc) why get tight on them now. If they can get him in time for back end of season they will eliminate 3-4 public schools in the tournament and end up at THE BOB, no problem.

Exactly they're group who basically all year long and decided to go to high school together. Kids do that all the time I can't believe people are surprised by that. I agree though they should Scott play he's a difference maker for their tournament run. Still hurts that they beat Dover last year.

Exactly they're group who basically all year long and decided to go to high school together. Kids do that all the time I can't believe people are surprised by that. I agree though they should Scott play he's a difference maker for their tournament run. Still hurts that they beat Dover last year.
Thought they declined Scott already..

They did decline him. I'm saying with the team they have now and adding Scott into that mix would make their chances of going to Bob pretty good.

Just remembered the situation with Ben Bentil and St. Andrews he was able to play against out of state opponents why hasn't Scott done the same ? That's key time missed to play with him if he does get the waiver granted although there aau time has been probably good enough

It’s a shame DIAA will not allow Aaron to play this year. It’s ironic, the reasons they are using to deny him are the same reasons we used to allow him to play football with us!

It’s a shame DIAA will not allow Aaron to play this year. It’s ironic, the reasons they are using to deny him are the same reasons we used to allow him to play football with us!
Can you explain why they deny him??. Then i will comment...

Just remembered the situation with Ben Bentil and St. Andrews he was able to play against out of state opponents why hasn't Scott done the same ? That's key time missed to play with him if he does get the waiver granted although there aau time has been probably good enough

Bentil played for an Independant Conference school. Indy conference schools allow 5th year players.. because of this the Indy schools are not full members of DIAA. They are associate members. They have a deal with the DIAA that the 5th year players can't play vs full DIAA schools or in the play-offs but they can play vs other Indy schools or schools out of state that are not state athletic associated schools. Bentil did play vs some PIAA schools but it was found out and St Andrews had to forfeit those wins STM is a full DIAA member so he can't play for them at all unless he wins the appeal which is a long shot

Last edited:
Reactions: Dropping 3's
Thats
a wa
Bentil played for an Independence Conference school. Indy conference schools allow 5th year players.. because of this the Indy schools are not full members of DIAA. They are associate members. They have a deal with the DIAA that the 5th year players can't play vs full DIAA schools or in the play-offs but they can play vs other Indy schools or schools out of state that are not state athletic associated schools. Bentil did play vs some PIAA schools but it was found out and St Andrews had to forfeit those wins STM is a full DIAA member so he can't play for them at all unless he wins the appeal which is a long shot
100% correct..

Reactions: Dropping 3's
While I will freely admit that I may not know all the facts, I can only go by what I know personally and what was reported. Beyond that it is not something I would discuss publicly. That said the reason I love sports and coaching is the opportunity it gives to young men like Aaron. I will always error on the side of trying to allow a kid to play, and then at least I know I will have the athlete’s ear and can hopefully influence them in a positive way. I worried about the alternatives and what an athlete may fill their time with if they are denied the opportunity to play. As I told Aaron on many occasions, I didn’t care if he played one down for us, in college, or professionally. I care about the man, husband and father that he will become some day...I pray for Aaron and his future! We really loved having him in our program this year, we grew to love him and we pray for and will be vested in his future as much as we can and he allows us to be. For me if a kid checks off all the blocks, why deny him/her the right to play 4 years of HS athletics?

Last edited:
FCA while I applaud and agree with much of what you said. I will disagree on the fact he is being denied any right.. First of all playing a sport for your school is a privilege not a right. Second he was not denied 4 years to play. He follows the same rules as every other kid who plays for a DIAA school in DE.. I understand there are mitigating circumstances but once you bend the rule for one then you must for all.. Who is to determine what hardships are more deserving than another to grant a waiver?.. It opens Pandora's Box for kids to fail a year get held back and still play.. I do agree a kid should get a second chance but in that case the rule itself should be changed.

Maybe like the rule in Maryland? You only get four years to play but it doesn't have to be consecutive once entering HS. In MD a kid can be academically ineligible one year get held back and play his 5th year of HS providing he/she doesn't turn 19 before Aug 1st

Reactions: 84rider
I agree with everything you said, I understand playing is not a right…opportunity would be a better word. For me, I guess I’ve seen so many decisions made here is this state (FYI I’m not from here) with athletics being the principal motive. For example, a kid gets reclassified when they transfer into the state or a kid gets a 5th year after transferring with a coach who he played for elsewhere. You say “Who is to determine what hardships are more deserving than another to grant a waiver… It opens Pandora's Box for kids to fail a year get held back and still play.” I would say that box has already been open and ask is Aaron less deserving? Aaron is not transferring in, he’s a homegrown kid, his story has unfolded right here in front of us. Aaron has a great testimony and has persevered through it all…pretty impressive for a teenager! Just hate to see it end on this note.

Last edited:

When you say those are the facts are you saying that he played 10th grade @ STMA & if so did he play Varsity? I only remember him playing there last year for some reason & wasn't sure if he played 2 years ago.

While I will freely admit that I may not know all the facts, I can only go by what I know personally and what was reported. Beyond that it is not something I would discuss publicly. That said the reason I love sports and coaching is the opportunity it gives to young men like Aaron. I will always error on the side of trying to allow a kid to play, and then at least I know I will have the athlete’s ear and can hopefully influence them in a positive way. I worried about the alternatives and what an athlete may fill their time with if they are denied the opportunity to play. As I told Aaron on many occasions, I didn’t care if he played one down for us, in college, or professionally. I care about the man, husband and father that he will become some day...I pray for Aaron and his future! We really loved having him in our program this year, we grew to love him and we pray for and we be vested in his future as much as we can and he allows us to be. For me if a kid checks off all the blocks, why deny him/her the right to play 4 years of HS athletics?
Its really pretty simple. In high school athletics you get 4 years to play 4 years. If you have an EXTRA-ordinary circumstance, that rule can be waived. Cancer treatment causes you to miss a year. Custody battle that has you moving between parents multiple times to different states. Failing a grade and repeating is not extra-ordinary. The 19 year old age limit is what it is. A regular course of education should be able to be completed and a student should graduate by that age. You can't be 19 before the start of your senior year. Not an extreme requirement.
You lost me when you said you didn't want to discuss it publicly, and then went on.. High school athletics isn't intended to keep kids from breaking moral codes or laws. It sounds like he has people around him who care about his welfare like yourself. High school athletics is a privilege, not a right. My hope for him is that he cares about himself as much as you seem too, and does the next right thing in front of him and not give in to wrong.

I understand that rules are rules but trust & believe we have had many kids slither through the loopholes to get that extra year & these are kids that have typically "reclassed" & are usually 19 years of age by the time that they graduate & it works to their advantage receiving full scholarships very often. I would like to have been able to see the young man play his senior year especially if he just turned 18 as the article said being that we have so many other athletes "reclassing" that are older than him for athletic purposes only.

I agree with everything you said, I understand playing is not a right…opportunity would be a better word. For me, I guess I’ve seen so many decisions made here is this state (FYI I’m not from here) with athletics being the principal motive. For example, a kid gets reclassified when they transfer into the state or a kid gets a 5th year after transferring with a coach who he played for elsewhere. You say “Who is to determine what hardships are more deserving than another to grant a waiver… It opens Pandora's Box for kids to fail a year get held back and still play.” I would say that box has already been open and ask is Aaron less deserving? Aaron is not transferring in, he’s a homegrown kid, his story has unfolded right here in front of us. Aaron has a great testimony and has persevered through it all…pretty impressive for a teenager! Just hate to see it end on this note. We wished we had known, we would have loved to have had him in our basketball program.
Wat i still cant understand is did he play 4 years of basketball... 9 ..10.. 11.. 12.... If he didnt DIAA is dead wrong but If he already played 4 years even If he played half a season in ibe of those years ... There is not nothing to talk about rules is rules...

Well said J12! As for discussing it publically, I was referring to Aaron's testimony. That is for him to tell, not me…sorry for the confusion.

Wat i still cant understand is did he play 4 years of basketball... 9 ..10.. 11.. 12.... If he didnt DIAA is dead wrong but If he already played 4 years even If he played half a season in ibe of those years ... There is not nothing to talk about rules is rules...

He has not played 4 years of basketball. I know he played a year at Smyrna & only remember him playing last year @ STMA but he may have played 2 years ago there as well which is why I asked cwt1964 earlier. At most he has played 3 years of high school basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT