ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Scott

I understand that rules are rules but trust & believe we have had many kids slither through the loopholes to get that extra year & these are kids that have typically "reclassed" & are usually 19 years of age by the time that they graduate & it works to their advantage receiving full scholarships very often. I would like to have been able to see the young man play his senior year especially if he just turned 18 as the article said being that we have so many other athletes "reclassing" that are older than him for athletic purposes only.[/QUKETHe Reclassing is a joke. That rules should be thrown out period...

Reactions: ShowTalent40
When you say those are the facts are you saying that he played 10th grade @ STMA & if so did he play Varsity? I only remember him playing there last year for some reason & wasn't sure if he played 2 years ago.
he only played there last year

He has not played 4 years of basketball. I know he played a year at Smyrna & only remember him playing last year @ STMA but he may have played 2 years ago there as well which is why I asked cwt1964 earlier. At most he has played 3 years of high school basketball.
Ok .. When he transfered to ST. Moore. Did he come too late to playbasketball.. He might sit out 1 year that would be 4 years..

Wat i still cant understand is did he play 4 years of basketball... 9 ..10.. 11.. 12.... If he didnt DIAA is dead wrong but If he already played 4 years even If he played half a season in ibe of those years ... There is not nothing to talk about rules is rules...

The point is per rule it doesn't matter if he played or not. A kid could go to HS for 4 years and not play any sports. If said kid has to come back for a 5th year he is not eligible to play any sport even if they have never played one in his fist 4 years

I understand that rules are rules but trust & believe we have had many kids slither through the loopholes to get that extra year & these are kids that have typically "reclassed" & are usually 19 years of age by the time that they graduate & it works to their advantage receiving full scholarships very often. I would like to have been able to see the young man play his senior year especially if he just turned 18 as the article said being that we have so many other athletes "reclassing" that are older than him for athletic purposes only.
Kinda of what I was trying to say, thanks for saying it a little better than I did!

Kinda of what I was trying to say, thanks for saying it a little better than I did!
Gotta be more to the story.. DIAA simply says 4 years.. So why would ST.Moore file for 5 year.. One side or the other just sound strange .. DIAA gave there reason.. Like to know wats said to ST.Moore.. My opinion he had 4 years somewhere for them to file for another year..

Curious To See How This Plays Out. Wish Nothing But The Best For That Young Man Hopefully He Gets To Play Talented Kid

Personally I think the DIAA needs to dump some of these stupid rules. I understand they came about because of school choice but in my opinion if a kid is legally enrolled in a school, in good academic standing and not over the age limit they should be able to participate in all after school activities the school has to offer including sports..period

The point is per rule it doesn't matter if he played or not. A kid could go to HS for 4 years and not play any sports. If said kid has to come back for a 5th year he is not eligible to play any sport even if they have never played one in his fist 4 years
Unless they are granted a waiver correct?

"2.7.1 No student shall represent a school in an interscholastic athletic contest or scrimmage after (4) consecutive years from the date of the student’s first entrance into the ninth grade unless a waiver is granted for hardship reason."

Unless they are granted a waiver correct?

"2.7.1 No student shall represent a school in an interscholastic athletic contest or scrimmage after (4) consecutive years from the date of the student’s first entrance into the ninth grade unless a waiver is granted for hardship reason."

Correct but 5th year waivers are rare. Usually involves a hardship that cost the student significant class time.. like what was mentioned previously.. major surgery, illness etc.. They don't look at it as missing playing a sport as much as missing class time causing them to have to repeat

Last edited:
Correct but 5th year waivers are rare. Usually involves a hardship that cost the student significant class time.. like what was mentioned previously.. major surgery, illness etc.. They don't look at it as missing playing a sport as much as missing class time causing them to have to repeat

As they should…sports can be a great incentive for kids to do well in school. I understand (not sure why they would want to) kids might fail on purpose to try and get another year. But if there’s no hardship I can understand not giving the waiver when they fail. In Aaron case there is one and it’s my understanding he meets all the other criteria.

DIAA is antiquated, i know from persanal experience, athletics can be used as tool to help kids stay focused on life and grades. when faced with different situations i would ask myself, if i do this and get in trouble i might not be able to play this week, so in my case it dictated my actions. not saying this is the case with Aaron but some kids need that support system (team) to help stay focused or to occupy that empty space. lets face it, unfortunately academics are not for everyone so if we can use athletics to inspire kids to do well in school then why not use it as a tool instead of handcuffs, especially if the kid meets the age requirements. i'm not rallying for men playing high school sports and in this case i believe the age requirement has been met. an idle mind is the devils playground. jus my 2 cents

People, high school is 4 years. Everyone is supposed to graduate in 4 years. As a tax payer, I have no real interest in funding additional years for athletic purposes. We are already on the hook for kids who don't do their work, and others who come sporadically to keep a government check coming in.
Simple, if you want 5 years to get 4 years of playing time, go to Maryland(if I understand what was said earlier).

@soccer07, nice to know that you and your family have never faced any hardships. life is good for you and yours, congrats but for me and mine, if we can help a kid we are all in, especially if that kid is putting forth the effort to succeed....todays decisions effect your tomorrow...not a knock on you, you have the right to your own beliefs, just stating mine, all good

Trust me, hardship is not foreign me nor my family. Of note would be going through the process everyone is talking about here with my son for medical reasons, which were beyond his control, that I would not wish upon anyone. I can tell you the work I do is ripe with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances. Accountability and responsibility continues to be pushed aside for the very arguments being presented. "We don't want him to get into bad stuff etc..". Honestly, that's not DIAA's job. It is to regulate and maintain the integrity of high school sanctioned athletics. We all know they really don't do to good a job with the school swapping, recruiting and such. The 20'ish volunteers who sit for the hearing are coaches, AD's, community members and do follow the rules set before them and bring compassion to the vote when needed.
Not playing basketball doesn't destine a kid to life failure or mediocrity. What does, is what one does with the consequences and opportunities placed before them. If this young man is that good, people know who he is. If the St.Thomas More coach lost one of his AAU players, then oh well and it should open a whole new can of worms with DIAA. Ya know the ones they don't really deal with.
84rider, not taking what you said as a knock, it just bothers me when others bend when someone screws up.

Reactions: jvm3
You are correct it is not the DIAA job to hold Aaron accountable and keep him out of “bad stuff”. Nor is it their job to prevent him from being held responsible and accountable from coaches who care about him!

Surely you are not referring to the death of his father as Aaron’s “screw up”

Reactions: 84rider
unfortunately when "someone screws up" there is something called collateral damage. when referring to our kids it's certainly plausible to think some circumstances are beyond there control. i'm not sure if this is the situation with this young man and without all the facts, i believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. you are correct its not the DIAA's job to keep our kids from "getting into bad stuff" but as adults dont we have a moral obligation to help our kids succeed without compromising the need for accoutability especially when as minors "we" adults make the decisions for them. what happens when there is no adult around to help make good choices for these kids. do we just say oh well these are the rules, that seems like a pretty uneven playing field and the kid ends up losing. nothing worse than starting out a young life filled with disillusion in the system, just saying of course

Montanez is from Chester he was suppose to arrive with the 2017 Chester girls but chose to play local at Chichester,who played a weak schedule and could never make the Del Val playoff so he and his family decided to make the change, which I thought was great. Wish it could have happen sooner...And yes about the AAU situation.

You are correct it is not the DIAA job to hold Aaron accountable and keep him out of “bad stuff”. Nor is it their job to prevent him from being held responsible and accountable from coaches who care about him!

Surely you are not referring to the death of his father as Aaron’s “screw up”

Don't know Aaron or that his father passed. I was speaking generally. I do know my father died of a heart attack my junior year during the state soccer tournament. I dropped out of school my senior year as soon as soccer was over and went back the next year(2nd senior year). It was not even considered back then.

Just curious, DIAA denied the appeal correct? Is there a re-appeal happening?

Don't know Aaron or that his father passed. I was speaking generally. I do know my father died of a heart attack my junior year during the state soccer tournament. I dropped out of school my senior year as soon as soccer was over and went back the next year(2nd senior year). It was not even considered back then.
Very sorry for your loss...I take it you didn't read the article?

No. The News Journal doesn't really doesn't cover high school sports very well. I just thought this was a continuation on the thread from before. Thank you for the sympathy. Pushing 35 yrs. ago.

No. The News Journal doesn't really doesn't cover high school sports very well. I just thought this was a continuation on the thread from before. Thank you for the sympathy. Pushing 35 yrs. ago.
Your welcome, lost my dad when I was two. Losing a father is a tough deal for any young man no matter the age. The article is from Andy Walter from the Del State News.

You guys bring up serious debate on the issue.. I don't want to sound callas but a family member dying is not the same as a debilitating illness or injury on the kid. Its mental.. either you handle the situation and do what your supposed to do or not.. life situations that sports are supposed to help you handle or not?

Point being a kid who physically cant attend school is completely different than a kid who has been dealt a bad hand and decides to use it as an accuse not to do the work.. yeah I get losing a parent is an issue but even that lost parent would expect the kid to move on.. I would go as far as saying most kids in this situation would use the tragedy as motivation to do well in the deceased honor.. If I die I would expect my Sons to use my death as motivation to make me proud and do well.. The world is full of kids who overcome the death of a parent

STM will be ok and they had to know this was coming and why they added the montenez kid from Chester. Think he played for Chester or Chichester last year and was good. Chichester coach mad he lost best player and was recruited to go there. They are still a top 5 team and can win it. Delaware bball is up for grabs this year. Good luck to Aaron kid but I have seen many kids not get a chance from Wilmington that lost a parent or have hardships not get a fair shot.

LOL your talking like they signed him as a free agent the kid decided to go to school there I doubt they had much to intise him to go to stm that no other school had the gym they have is subpar at best

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT