ADVERTISEMENT

After first April live viewing peroid and state of girls BB in Delaware . . .

Simmonj4618

Getting reps on JV
Nov 17, 2011
Delaware
Got to see some of our kids games at the NJ Sparks Classic in Patterson, NJ, some of DE other kids went to Raleigh, NC Deep South Classic. Saw Team Takeover and Exodus Elite EYBL teams and here are my observation compare to local teams. We are at a size and development disadvantage that is hard to overcome if girls don't get the proper instructional development. I think that the talent level in Delaware is on the upswing but we have a lot of work to do still:

1) Our 4 and 5's are really the size of top teams 2 and 3's. So they need to learn how to play in space and how to attack the paint. Our kids try to use the same tactics that may work here in DE but will not against 6'2 to 6'4 posts who are very long and athletic and think that it would work consistently.

2) Our 1 and 2's need to understand that in DE you may get away with putting your head down and driving straight to the basket so you beat your man or get fouled but at the next level 5'3 to 5'6 guards are not going to finish consistently at that level no matter how quick or athletic your are! I noticed that their small quick guards were more facilitators and when they did drive in the post, 90% of the time they kicked the ball to an open shooter or dished to a big.

3) We need to be more fundamentally sound with shooting and our dribbling. I counted at least 3 straight processions were each player took one or no dribbles and advanced the ball up the court for a good shoot with 7-8 quick sharp passes.

4) We have to able to shoot better I'm talking form and shot selection. Again if your 5'6 or below you have to create space and be ready to shoot on the catch. If your a wing you better have a counter off the dribble drive and have a mid-range shot to be effective.

5) The biggest issue is that we need more coaches who have the knowledge and ability to identify and work with the kids to fix what they are doing wrong, which in may cases has to do more with body mechanics, balance, Basketball IQ and reaction speed rather spend their time doing just drills and not correcting issues or showing players how to do it right.

Next up is Boo Williams good luck all of our Delaware girls!

Last edited:
Reactions: big-picture
Simmonj4618,
I read that some of the NJ Sparks Classic games were on Facebook live. I wanted to peep some of the action but don't have a Facebook account. Do you know if there's a way to access the games without an account or maybe they're posted elsewhere? I didn't see anything yet on YouTube either when I checked. You hit the nail on the head with your post. Yes DE talent is on the rise. I don't believe we're that far away raw talent wise but our girls and coaches do need to take skill development more seriously especially during the high school off-season. Delaware is sandwiched between states which highly regard girls basketball so let's make recruiters of all college levels pay more attention to the 1st state and not jump from PA/NJ/MD.

The coaching and developmental part is huge. I think Noonan prepares his girls the best and there are very few on his level during high school season (correct me if I'm wrong).

@Nightrain44 I'll get back at
Simmonj4618,
I read that some of the NJ Sparks Classic games were on Facebook live. I wanted to peep some of the action but don't have a Facebook account. Do you know if there's a way to access the games without an account or maybe they're posted elsewhere? I didn't see anything yet on YouTube either when I checked. You hit the nail on the head with your post. Yes DE talent is on the rise. I don't believe we're that far away raw talent wise but our girls and coaches do need to take skill development more seriously especially during the high school off-season. Delaware is sandwiched between states which highly regard girls basketball so let's make recruiters of all college levels pay more attention to the 1st state and not jump from PA/NJ/MD.
Couldn't find it,but I know it was a Facebook livestream.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT