ADVERTISEMENT

Blue-Gold Game

ravensrooster2

Top 100 Prospect
Jun 30, 2010
Less than two weeks away.. Time for predictions and hot stove chatter.. Anyone know any big names not playing due to college commitments? Is Henderson playing?

2017 DFRC BLUE TEAM

• Oladaya Adeleke – Hodgson
  • David Balint – St. Mark’s
  • William Beaudet – Concord
  • Justin Beneck – Friends
  • Matthew Bowe – Caravel
  • Rajae Britt – Brandywine
  • Sean Carroll – Mount Pleasant
  • Mike Cicconi – Charter of Wilmington
  • Jashon Coleman – McKean
  • D’mir Copeland – William Penn
  • Kerry Galloway – A.I. duPont
  • Henry Gise – Friends
  • David Hazelton – Saint Elizabeth
  • Brennan Hazewski – DMA
  • Patrick Henry – Saint Elizabeth
  • Karl Holler – Tatnall
  • Charlie Hope – William Penn
  • Maverick Jackson – Caravel
  • Andrew Jaworski – Friends
  • Jashawn Johnson – Mount Pleasant
  • Korey Kent – Howard
  • Carter Lamey – Charter of Wilmington
  • Curtis Linton – Caravel
  • Darin Mathews – Howard
  • Matthew McCary – Delcastle
  • A.J. McGonigle – Saint Mark’s
  • Josh Patrick – Salesianum
  • Harry Quimby – Tower Hill
  • Sam Ragland – Tatnall
  • Jake Reed – Caravel
  • Randy Sinott – Salesianum
  • Duncan Stevens – Dickinson
  • Bill Stradley – Salesianum
  • Billy Sullivan – Saint Mark’s
  • Patrick Udovich – Archmere
  • Elijah Walton – Conrad
  • Zeb Wright – Salesianum
  • John Reed – Caravel – Head Coach
  • J.T. Laws – Caravel – Assistant Coach
  • Chris Moxley – Caravel – Assistant Coach
  • Rahsaan Matthews – Howard – Assistant Coach
  • Marvin Dooley – William Penn – Assistant Coach
2017 DFRC GOLD TEAM

• Emmanuel Kenion – Appoquinimink
  • Jackson Truitt – Appoquinimink
  • Kenyon Yellowdy – Appoquinimink
  • Najee Whitted – Caesar Rodney
  • Robert Mitchell – Cape Henlopen
  • Zakaria Barnes – Christiana
  • Jimmy Adkins – Delmar
  • John Castro – Dover
  • Michael Credle – Glasgow
  • Ja’saan Cunningham – Glasgow
  • Zion Howard – Indian River
  • Cameron Lewis – Lake Forest
  • Antonio Johnson – Laurel
  • Perez Nichols – Laurel
  • Anthony DelPercio – Middletown
  • Spencer Harbert – Middletown
  • Caleb Weatherford – Middletown
  • Shane Wilkins – Middletown
  • Greg Clark – Milford
  • Brion Murray – Milford
  • Andrew DelPercio – Newark
  • Hunter Poisson – Polytech
  • Daniel McNeil – Red Lion
  • Stephon Short – Seaford
  • Jerren Carter – Smyrna
  • Nolan Henderson – Smyrna
  • Josh Hutchinson – Smyrna
  • Jamier Smith – Smyrna
  • Douglas Phillips – St. Georges
  • Tim Jones – Sussex Central
  • Christian Moore – Sussex Central
  • Myles Vernet – Sussex Central
  • Jordan Marvel – Sussex Tech
  • Terrique Riddick – Woodbridge
  • Le’ah Styles – Woodbridge
  • Shymere Vessels – Woodbridge
  • Michael Judy – Smyrna – Head Coach
  • Mike Marks – Smyrna – Assistant Coach
  • Dan Wagner – Smyrna – Assistant Coach
  • Eston Ennis – Laurel – Assistant Coach
  • Mark DelPercio – Middletown – Assistant Coach

Henderson to Delpercio is an interesting combo... Other questions.. Is the Jaworski kid from Friends related?

Possible MVP other than Hendo... The Styles kid from WB this game lends itself to a player like him to dominate

Hate to say it but on paper it looks like Gold wins it easily.. Coach Reed and the Blue boys got their work cut out for them this year JMHO

Last edited:
Shouldn't Delpercio Sr. be in Texas

LOL

I would also lean towards the Gold but anything can happen in an all star game.

Reactions: spartakos
Henderson to Delpercio is an interesting combo... Other questions.. Is the Jaworski kid from Friends related?

Possible MVP other than Hendo... The Styles kid from WB this game lends itself to a player like him to dominate

Hate to say it but on paper it looks like Gold wins it easily.. Coach Reed and the Blue boys got their work cut out for them this year JMHO
Jaworski is not related.

Middle Linebacker from Middletown Spencer Harbert isn't playing. He's heading to the University of Kentucky for baseball in a couple of weeks.

Blue coaches will have to game plan very well for this game. Blue squad has a ton of Lineman, TEs and RBs. Very few DB/WR types. Mount's QB Jashawn Johnson probably will have to play WR & DB they are so thin.

Hearing Gold Line is huge and their DBs and WRs are skilled.. Benneck and Sullivan sharing reps for Blue at QB. Benneck looked very crisp at Blue scrimmage yesterday.

I'm surprised he's playing risking what could be a great career in the MLB. If the worst were to happen!

He had already committed to play prior to being drafted. So he is probably honoring that. He didn't he was getting drafted he god picked in like the 26th round or something like that. Now he has to decide if he is going Pro or going to play at UD

Henry from St.E not playing. UD staff suggested he not as he's recovering from injury.

Is Sullivan the same kid who was drafted by the Phillies this past week?
Sullivan is a very good all-around athlete. Great baseball pitcher, very solid and smart basketball player, good football player. Threw some really nice passes in the first half of the Blue-Gold game. Tight spirals, great touch. He could play for me anytime in any one of those sports.

Disgusting game for what it is supposed to be about... Worst I have seen in the last 5 years I have been attending.. Poorly officiated for one. Yes it was one sided Gold was clearly better in all facets. Players are the bigger disappointment to me on both sides Yeah your getting your ass beat but lose with dignity and show the cause its ok to lose if you try your best.. on the other hand win with dignity as well .. don't show up the opponents by acting like a ass and clapping in their face and what not..This game is not about you players its about something bigger something the kids in this game don't seem to grasp.. Its a shame .. and it is turning me off to this sport which is supposed to teach so much more than it is today..I think I am done

Disgusting game for what it is supposed to be about... Worst I have seen in the last 5 years I have been attending.. Poorly officiated for one. Yes it was one sided Gold was clearly better in all facets. Players are the bigger disappointment to me on both sides Yeah your getting your ass beat but lose with dignity and show the cause its ok to lose if you try your best.. on the other hand win with dignity as well .. don't show up the opponents by acting like a ass and clapping in their face and what not..This game is not about you players its about something bigger something the kids in this game don't seem to grasp.. Its a shame .. and it is turning me off to this sport which is supposed to teach so much more than it is today..I think I am done
Agreed. This was a disgraceful display from both sides. When the director of a charity game has to get involved in de-escalating the situation, something's wrong.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
What happened? Fight? Like 2004?????[/QUOTE

Kids are not coached to win and lose with dignity and respect anymore. It's not taught and corrected at home either. It's a damn shame that this crap seems to be getting worse in baseball as well. Parents and coaches need the to step up to there kids that are acting inappropriately and dish out some consequences for there unsportsmanlike actions. Some old school punishment would fix most of this nonsense. They need to sit and miss playing time first of all. Require them to do community services. That's just to start.

I was very proud of the South's victory. At one time Woodbridge had 3 of their awesome defensive front line. Vessels had 2 sacks 2 fumble recovers and Styles had 2 sacks and a Block punt that lead to a score. Big Brian Ireland play offense and Defense with some tackles. Downstate Rule this year in football. For the ones that thought Division 1 would be to big for Woodbridge, they man handle the Blue's Line. They had to double and triple team Vessels and Styles. Give the boys credit. They can flat out ball. Shut out to my man Coach E for the shut out!

I wasn't all that impressed with Styles.. All he did was run in off the edge and whiffed way more than he got home (which was a couple of times)..I expected him to be bigger as well..

Ugliest ending to a game since a Gold player and his father were led off the field in handcuffs.

The game itself was not pretty either..actually all team sports in general have morphed into something I can barely watch anymore... Rather my taxes not pay for them anymore if they are not teaching kids the values they supposed to... Its bad from HS to College to the Pro's just don't care anymore to watch self indulged, entitled look at me players of any team sport anymore. I'll stick with the History Channel or the Food Network from now on lol

Last edited:
I don't know, Gold's Dline (and OLine) looked pretty good to me. Styles and Vessels both had very good games...got sacks, forced quick throws, forced holding and chased down in the run game.

The game was sloppy in the beginning, but the Gold turned it around pretty quick--remember only 4 days of practices. Very impressed with Gold Offense and Nolan Henderson

I did not like the end of the game either, but I know kids and coaches on both sides and they are good people who demonstrated good sportsmanship all week. I would not make grand statements and change TV viewing options too soon.

Reactions: mmorris728
BigTru it wasn't a knee jerk reaction.. Truth be told I have barely watched any sports on TV the last few years(except NCAA lacrosse championships) the channels I mentioned are pretty much what I watch.. I guess I am just getting old lol

Blue's coaching staff was not prepared. Could get nothing going on offense. Defense was not prepared for the spread and never adjusted. Motion and slot receivers were open all night, running mostly uncovered. Gold had a better team but the coaching match up was bigger mismatch than the score.
Refs, I felt like they tried to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt to get a hold of the players, but then it got out of hand a bit. I felt like if they had tossed somebody early they could have gotten it under control but do they really feel like they should toss somebody out of an charity game. If it would have been a regular season game a couple of kids would have been sitting on the bus.

Blue's coaching staff was not prepared. Could get nothing going on offense. Defense was not prepared for the spread and never adjusted. Motion and slot receivers were open all night, running mostly uncovered. Gold had a better team but the coaching match up was bigger mismatch than the score.
Refs, I felt like they tried to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt to get a hold of the players, but then it got out of hand a bit. I felt like if they had tossed somebody early they could have gotten it under control but do they really feel like they should toss somebody out of an charity game. If it would have been a regular season game a couple of kids would have been sitting on the bus.

I couldn't make the game but knew a lot about the personnel. Was it Blue coaches being unprepared and outcoached or they didn't have the personnel to game play effectively in a 4-5 day span. Hard to cover 4-5 receivers when you don't even have 4 DBs or an exceptional pass rush.

I couldn't make the game but knew a lot about the personnel. Was it Blue coaches being unprepared and outcoached or they didn't have the personnel to game play effectively in a 4-5 day span. Hard to cover 4-5 receivers when you don't even have 4 DBs or an exceptional pass rush.
why would any team in a game like this have less DBs than the other? The coaches select the players beyond each teams 1.. Blue certainly knew what was coming they would select accordingly I would think..

raven.....I haven't seen a Blue - Gold game in 20 years. I am sure you saw last years game which I think was competitive and the Blue won by a couple of TD's. What was the difference between this year and last year in terms of the player behavior? I think having a person like Dooley as one of the coaches keeps player behavior in check. I don't remember any issues last year.

Quite frankly, although it is for a good cause and is a great tradition....maybe it is time to end the Blue-Gold game. By the time they pay the expenses.....how much to they contribute to the cause. Corporate sponsors will continue to be generous.

I agree with you about behavior. In the NBA finals there was constant chirping at the officials by everybody.....

Fyi. Dooley was one of the coaches this year.

The players have become so self centric and entitled these days mainly because parents are child worshipers.. There really is nothing coaches or officials can do about it..If I was a parent of a special needs kids I wouldn't want any of them to be a influence on my kid and certainly not a role model for them.. I don;t mean all as some or most are very good kids.. Maybe DFRC has to be more diligent in their vetting process as to who can participate

Last edited:
Fyi. Dooley was one of the coaches this year.

The players have become so self centric and entitled these days mainly because parents are child worshipers.. There really is nothing coaches or officials can do about it..If I was a parent of a special needs kids I wouldn't want any of them to be a influence on my kid and certainly not a role model for them.. I don;t mean all as some or most are very good kids.. Maybe DFRC has to be more diligent in their vetting process as to who can participate

While I agree with your 1st sentence a little bit, I 100% disagree about the parents of a special needs child not wanting to be a part of the program because of these kids. Blanket statements followed by, "I don't mean all..." is ridiculous. There are lots, and lots of great kids in HS and sometimes adults only pay attention to the few and then make ridiculous statements

Yes, one of those kids who played in the game last night is mine and I know he is great kid. But I also watched a lot of the other players over the years and there were a lot of great kids out there last night. DFRC does a great job of vetting the kids

Last edited:
Fair enough. I was just disappointed in the game and painting with to broad of a brush. Just a old man venting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT