ADVERTISEMENT

CA vs Concord

AI had a chance to play Concord and declined. So Caravel looked out for themselves and scheduled the game. Very smart of those coaches. Caravel struggled to get in state teams in D2 to play the last several years because they figured it would be a potential loss. They have to play several out of state teams every year which is ridiculous. Bye the way I'm not a Caravel fan at all. I just like what they did and hope they get in. If they do someone is in for a very difficult game.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
This whole thing is crap.

First of all, Caravel belongs in the playoffs no matter what. They're probably one of the top 3 teams in DII if not the best. You could make the same case for Sallies in DI but the case is much weaker as Sallies lost to both Smyrna and MT but they did beat WP.

Secondly I love what Charter did in football. Finally someone stood up to DIAA and more importantly the Blue Hen Conference and said see ya we don't need you. They put themselves in a better opportunity to play competitive football. DIAA should re-classify them as a DII school. Forget about the enrollment. How's that enrollment theory working for Delcastle? They can't even beat Dickinson, who can't even field a damn team. Seriously????

Thirdly, Football upstate sucks. I say get rid of all the conferences. Too many teams and too many awful teams. Blowouts and running clocks everywhere. It's a watered down crappy product with very few good teams and lots of bad football. Most games aren't worth attending and nobody goes anyway.
Classic tournament story. Caravel beats Sals in 2009 in 9th game. Sals still get in tournament....deservedly so. and win the D1 state title...Caravel bumped out as they lose to Red Lion the next week. They had the points but I believe Delmar replaced because they were HS champ. Caravel has been screwed by the system a few times....

To many crybabies blowing up phones.. which is silly because CA wasnt getting in even if they won... sucks for Concord really those kids deserve a 10th game

I love Delaware football but so many people here are disgraceful. Teams ducking good teams to get into the playoffs. Whining about every little thing just to inhibit a deserving team from getting into the playoffs. This is supposed to be about kids playing and having fun but adults feel the need to make it a political game. Are these people that egotistical that they will screw kids out of a game just to prevent themselves from having to potentially play a team better than them? The worst thing about youth sports is the adults that make it about themselves. It's honestly sad.

That's a shame. Two games were set up with more evenly matched opponents only for a bunch of whiners to mess it up. I don't really have in big interest in any of this stuff. It just seemed like a good thing to do based on my previous post. The schedules of many of the teams that will qualify is really jacked up with some fluffy teams that are really weak and wouldn't consider playing a D1 team or a Caravel. Look at what they did to in state teams. Smoked them by 30+
points. Teams should want to play the best not shy away to protect there record. There were way to many blow outs and running clock games this year. Good teams should not be forced to look outside the state to fill there schedules. It's a shame.

Reactions: 84rider
Unbelievable. How is it better for Delaware high school football to have Concord not have a 10th game, and Caravel play an out of state school? What a bunch of whiny bitches.

Not only that it kinda sucks for CA seniors also not really getting a 10th game. Starters will be pulled by halftime .

I'm curious to see what the reason for the cancellation is. its a win win for both teams if you ask me that they play. CA deserves a chance to get into the playoff and is prob the top 3 toughest D2 teams in the state. its ashamed they prob wont get in now.

Concord was taking too much grief from the crybabies so they decided not to play

Last edited:
Look at the bottom half of the probable playoff field and I think you have your answer.

Thats all I am allowed to say about but yes there were calls made to Concord AD but I am not allowed to say by whom. or was asked not to

It was a "screw 'em" move when Concord agreed to take the game in the 1st place & they must have known it would ruffle some feathers. Don't see why you go back on it just because the phone rings a couple of times.

There's probably 4 versions of what really went down here:
  • Concord's
  • Caravel's
  • Capitol Christian's
  • THE TRUTH

not sure what part of CA was not getting in even if they played and beat them folks aren't understanding.. the whole thing is stupid... It was just going to be a home game for CA and Concord gets a 10th game.. Now CA has to drive 2.5 hours to a cornfield in Bowie and play little sisters of the poor lol

Last edited:
This whole thing is crap.

First of all, Caravel belongs in the playoffs no matter what. They're probably one of the top 3 teams in DII if not the best. You could make the same case for Sallies in DI but the case is much weaker as Sallies lost to both Smyrna and MT but they did beat WP.

Secondly I love what Charter did in football. Finally someone stood up to DIAA and more importantly the Blue Hen Conference and said see ya we don't need you. They put themselves in a better opportunity to play competitive football. DIAA should re-classify them as a DII school. Forget about the enrollment. How's that enrollment theory working for Delcastle? They can't even beat Dickinson, who can't even field a damn team. Seriously????

Thirdly, Football upstate sucks. I say get rid of all the conferences. Too many teams and too many awful teams. Blowouts and running clocks everywhere. It's a watered down crappy product with very few good teams and lots of bad football. Most games aren't worth attending and nobody goes anyway.

%100 true - get rid of the damn broken system. Go to a performance based system like European soccer or put a qualifier on the points.

Any team, D1 or D2, has no more then 5 wins you get 4 points for win. D1 6 or more wins = 6 points. Simple adjustment for the new ages.

Otherwise go to a soccer style system like Europe were you drop bottom %10 every 2-3 years and bring the best of D2 up.

Think adjusting the points would be easier and make more sense.

Reactions: Jawnsky
It's a game that made sense on a lot of levels. Even if Caravel had played and beaten Concord they weren't going to get in the playoffs (barring a miracle). Concord gets the shaft only playing 9 games.

I've never been a Caravel guy but they got screwed this year. They're absolutely one of the top 8 teams in DII and they belong in the playoffs.

It was a "screw 'em" move when Concord agreed to take the game in the 1st place & they must have known it would ruffle some feathers. Don't see why you go back on it just because the phone rings a couple of times.

There's probably 4 versions of what really went down here:
  • Concord's
  • Caravel's
  • Capitol Christian's
  • THE TRUTH
Exactly who was getting screwed in this scenario?

not sure what part of CA was not getting in even if they played and beat them folks aren't understanding.. the whole thing is stupid... It was just going to be a home game for CA and Concord gets a 10th game.. Now CA has to drive 2.5 hours to a cornfield in Bowie and play little sisters of the poor lol
It's a legitimate question to wonder why this took until after 9 games to happen. If this was such a win-win, why wasn't it completed earlier?

It seems to be a mute point at this time but what ever happened to the best teams playing for the ship...damn the politics and procedures, let the kids settle this on the field....it’s a different mentality these days, we always wanted to play the best teams around, heart and no fear...parents and coaches used to preach, to be the best you have to beat the best...even if you didn’t make the playoffs we all understood how awesome it was to knock someone else out of contention, you know let them feel your pain and if the team you were playing was real good, it was a last ditch opportunity to show others what your team was all about

Reactions: 2retsoorlil
Your correct 84 its a moot point..

pssst There is remote chace Caravel can get in

scaredy-cat-2.jpg

WOW, this is just an unreal thread. It is so indicative of a playoff system that is totally flawed at this point. I have little doubt that the Concord phone was ringing off the hook, more likely the DIAA one as well. Here is my problem with that, where was the indignation about this, when AI and Concord were talking about the same exact thing a few weeks ago?

Something is not adding up on this one however. How can there be a scheduled game between a DIAA school and a non-DIAA school without a contract? Do you know what the penalty is for that? Why that's $50 sir!!!! That is fifty one dollar bills, payable on demand. But maybe the answer lies in the final part of this section of the rules regarding contracts:

1.4.2 Contracts between DIAA member schools and nonmember or associate member schools of comparable state associations are required.

1.4.2.1 A copy of the signed contract must be either received by the Executive Director or postmarked prior to the contest for which the agreement was drawn up. Failure to file a signed contract as prescribed shall result in the DIAA member school being assessed a $50.00 fine.

1.4.2.2 In the case of a dispute, a member school has no right of appeal to the Executive Director or the DIAA Board of Directors unless a signed individual contract is in place.

Could the DIAA have been threatening to rule the Cap Christian game a forfeit against CA? I honestly don't know, but if anyone had a problem with a scheduling switch, someone should have said this last year when St. Andrew's did it with Seaford. The DIAA had a chance to step in and take those teams to task, instead they did nothing. Now we are left with this.

It seems to be a mute point at this time but what ever happened to the best teams playing for the ship...damn the politics and procedures, let the kids settle this on the field....it’s a different mentality these days, we always wanted to play the best teams around, heart and no fear...parents and coaches used to preach, to be the best you have to beat the best...even if you didn’t make the playoffs we all understood how awesome it was to knock someone else out of contention, you know let them feel your pain and if the team you were playing was real good, it was a last ditch opportunity to show others what your team was all about
I agree. Maybe someday, more D2 schools in Delaware will stop ducking Caravel and they can have an in-state schedule.

In every other sport, DIAA locks in all schedules on the first day of competition. If a school fails to play that schedule (make-ups) or adds games, they must get approval from DIAA. Caravels schedule was locked. They were going to have to take the forfeit win or play it. Period. This is a baseball rule from back when schools wouldn't make up rain outs to save pitching.

Exactly who was getting screwed in this scenario?
Concord was saying screw 'em to anyone that didn't want their desire to add a 10th game to also give CA a chance to get 2 additional points that the other bubble teams who are "stuck" with a week 10 4 pt opponent didn't have.

Concord was saying screw 'em to anyone that didn't want their desire to add a 10th game to also give CA a chance to get 2 additional points that the other bubble teams who are "stuck" with a week 10 4 pt opponent didn't have.
Why shouldn't Concord get a 10th game?What is wrong with caravel getting another instate game. Shouldn't that be what we want? DE teams playing DE teams. Caravel also didn't play crap D1 teams unlike AI, DMA, WB, TH, Friends, Conrad, and Archmere. Would you really have these kids screwed out of a week 10 game and CA seniors screwed out of 1 last home game just to keep CA out of the playoffs? Is it all about the politics to you or do the kids matter at all?

Here's an idea...

Why don't they let week 10 be an open date for everybody. Then every team can "hand pick" the game they want to play in week 10 that will set them up best for the tournament.

True, DE teams should play DE teams as much as possible, but there are ways that rule changes could encourage that. The DE should play DE angle doesn't justify a last minute fix that would benefit 1 team this year.

Here's an idea...

Why don't they let week 10 be an open date for everybody. Then every team can "hand pick" the game they want to play in week 10 that will set them up best for the tournament.

True, DE teams should play DE teams as much as possible, but there are ways that rule changes could encourage that. The DE should play DE angle doesn't justify a last minute fix that would benefit 1 team this year.
I notice that you put hand pick in quotes. That's probably because you know that it is a gross mischaracterization of the situation. This is a legitimate situation that would benefit 2 teams and barely even at that. It's not like it increases CA's chances of getting in over anyone other than Archmere or Conrad. Your slippery slope argument doesn't hold up here as it hardly helps ca's tournament hopes in the first place.

Have you ever seen a dead horse get beaten ??
Yes. Now I am arguing the principle of the matter. It is rampant in Youth sports. Adults making youth sports a dick measuring contest and not caring about what's best for the kids. Screw kids out of a game who cares as long as ensures my team gets in or my team won't have to play them. Rider said it best honestly. What happened to teaching kids to not run from a challenge? Face obstacles head on? Not we cry and play politics to avoid them. And that is what we teach kids.

Last edited:
I tried to tell you that this would not happen. You cant just play who ever you want after you have set your schedule. Caravel tried to pull a fast one and got called out for it. move one

Yes. Now I am arguing the principle of the matter. It is rampant in Youth sports. Adults making youth sports a dick measuring contest and not caring about what's best for the kids. Screw kids out of a game who cares as long as ensures my team gets in or my team won't have to play them. Rider said it best honestly. What happened to teaching kids to not run from a challenge? Face obstacles had on? Not we cry and play politics to avoid them. And that is what we teach kids.

This has been an open date since week 5. Everyone new it, everyone had a chance to schedule Concord the second Dickinson dropped football for the season. CA already had a game scheduled for week 10 and seemed quite happy with it until Saturday night rolled around.

So I guess my question is, who exactly is getting screwed out of a game? Sounds like the only one in this scenario missing out on an actual game is Concord, just like 6 other teams that had Dickinson on their schedule.

Teaching our kids, let's look at that one for a second as well. How about the part where we teach them to honor their word, where does that fit into all this? After all, CA made a promise to play CAP, don't we want our children to stand by their promises?

Now, even having said all of that, nobody has said why CA was not allowed to change their schedule. I sure would like an answer, because despite my pontificating, I still believe they should have been able to schedule the game with Concord.

Ikey Concord received to much backlash so they decided not to go through with it..I get it, you still have to schedule teams next year and beyond. Concord wanted to play AI so they were waiting to see if AI would need the game and points.. I am sure their kids would have liked to play but it just wouldn't be worth it for them to cause that much bad blood in going forward nor do they want to get stuck with only 9 games next year..As for CAP they were more than willing to kill the game. They only have 13 players left and had no field for the game. So now the game is being played at some rickety ass park field.

I've moved on from it time to start worrying about the teams that wll be in the play-offs..
Personally I don't care who wins D2 just as long as it is not a DSC or SPL team lol

Last edited:
Ikey Concord received to much backlash so they decided not to go through with it..I get it, you still have to schedule teams next year and beyond. Concord wanted to play AI so they were waiting to see if AI would need the game and points.. I am sure their kids would have liked to play but it just wouldn't be worth it for them to cause that much bad blood in going forward nor do they want to get stuck with only 9 games next year..As for CAP they were more than willing to kill the game. They only have 13 players left and had no field for the game. So now the game is being played at some rickety ass park field.

I've moved on from it time to start worrying about the teams that wll be in the play-offs..
Personally I don't care who wins D2 just as long as it is not a DSC or SPL team lol
If CAP was willing to kill the game, then CA should have been allowed to move it, no questions asked. Honestly with a number like that, the game is a safety issue at this point.
The bad blood thing is kinda my point in all of this. It was always about CA possibly getting a break. But there was no voice of concern when it might have been benefiting a public school team. U know me, I have always had an issue with the private/public thing, but fair is fair.

The real problem is too many chicken sh*t teams ducking Caravel and playing their softie schedules. Then they use excuses like "Caravel recruits" or they cheat. The Caravel roster size is listed at 33 so they better ramp up those recruiting efforts.

A school that is located in Bear DE that has to schedule 4 out of state games is ridiculous. And yeah Sallies does it but they have an all boys school with probably a roster size near 100 (whole program).

Nobody in the silk panty league will step up and play anyone with maybe the exception of Tatnall, who is having a down year. No DMA? Delmar, Woodbridge, Milford?? Bad blood with St. E's? Howard? Conrad (weak schedule). AI?

Then people get upset when they want to save a 2 hour bus ride for what is basically a scrimmage to play someone with 13 or 14 players. Plus they could have provided an in state Delaware team with a 10th game. But hey let's not give a crap about that. Let's worry about a ridiculous chance that Caravel is just doing this to have a slim chance to get in the playoffs. When in reality they belong in the playoffs anyway!!!!!

And FYI I've never been a fan of Caravel.

Yes playoff system is flawed - but this is revolves around fairness. Not every team has the ability to just disregard their final opponent because it needs more points than that opponent is providing. I understand the desire from Concord from play a 10th game (should have addressed this earlier AD), but if Caravel is to do this, what is to stop teams all teams vying for a playoff spot to change their schedules last minute? I know Delmar, Howard, and Archmere all have conference opponents and cannot, but what if it was an out of conference game? Just quit the game because some D1 team has an opening or is willing (for other reasons) to change their schedules? Caravel should have scheduled Concord from the summer - If they are contractually obligated to Capitol Christian than oh well.

The real shame is that Caravel is a top-tier D2 team that could compete in the 2nd tier of D1 with their skill and defense. They should not be scheduling Silver Oak, Dickinson, Capital Christian. If just one of those teams was a D1 team, they would be in the playoffs. The Truth is as it stands, they are getting 3 points from Howard MD. Talk about luck of the draw. 3 Bonus points for getting spanked 41-0. That's the direction they should be going instead of complaining about lower level teams not scheduling them. Why would teams like Conrad and others do it? They get nothing out of it - props to St. Marks and Archmere for playing them every year, but they could easily talk Flight B into a game.

To fix Caravel's issue, they should schedule up ( a la Howard MD), go 6-4, possibly 5-5 and get in the playoffs with bonus points.

2 last things
a) I realize there is not incentive for many Delaware D1 teams to play them. I get it. Go out of state then. You have no conference restrictions.
b) The playoff system is a joke at the moment with Friends, Tower, (conference Tie breakers) etc... Get on it DIAA

Reactions: Lazertron
The real problem is too many chicken sh*t teams ducking Caravel and playing their softie schedules. Then they use excuses like "Caravel recruits" or they cheat. The Caravel roster size is listed at 33 so they better ramp up those recruiting efforts.

A school that is located in Bear DE that has to schedule 4 out of state games is ridiculous. And yeah Sallies does it but they have an all boys school with probably a roster size near 100 (whole program).

Nobody in the silk panty league will step up and play anyone with maybe the exception of Tatnall, who is having a down year. No DMA? Delmar, Woodbridge, Milford?? Bad blood with St. E's? Howard? Conrad (weak schedule). AI?

Then people get upset when they want to save a 2 hour bus ride for what is basically a scrimmage to play someone with 13 or 14 players. Plus they could have provided an in state Delaware team with a 10th game. But hey let's not give a crap about that. Let's worry about a ridiculous chance that Caravel is just doing this to have a slim chance to get in the playoffs. When in reality they belong in the playoffs anyway!!!!!

And FYI I've never been a fan of Caravel.

This right here. I'm not going to say I'm not a fan of Caravel, more so I like the way the play and in my professional travels, I've always found their athletes to be cordial young men. The fact that Conrad with two D1 weaklings on their schedule (and Charter should be dropped to D2 immediately) and the SPL squads can schedule Lil Sisters of the Delaware Valley and get in the tournament ahead of them is shameful. Period. Complaining about the Concord proposal is petty and cowardly. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT