ADVERTISEMENT

CA vs Concord

Yes playoff system is flawed - but this is revolves around fairness. Not every team has the ability to just disregard their final opponent because it needs more points than that opponent is providing. I understand the desire from Concord from play a 10th game (should have addressed this earlier AD), but if Caravel is to do this, what is to stop teams all teams vying for a playoff spot to change their schedules last minute? I know Delmar, Howard, and Archmere all have conference opponents and cannot, but what if it was an out of conference game? Just quit the game because some D1 team has an opening or is willing (for other reasons) to change their schedules? Caravel should have scheduled Concord from the summer - If they are contractually obligated to Capitol Christian than oh well.

The real shame is that Caravel is a top-tier D2 team that could compete in the 2nd tier of D1 with their skill and defense. They should not be scheduling Silver Oak, Dickinson, Capital Christian. If just one of those teams was a D1 team, they would be in the playoffs. The Truth is as it stands, they are getting 3 points from Howard MD. Talk about luck of the draw. 3 Bonus points for getting spanked 41-0. That's the direction they should be going instead of complaining about lower level teams not scheduling them. Why would teams like Conrad and others do it? They get nothing out of it - props to St. Marks and Archmere for playing them every year, but they could easily talk Flight B into a game.

To fix Caravel's issue, they should schedule up ( a la Howard MD), go 6-4, possibly 5-5 and get in the playoffs with bonus points.

2 last things
a) I realize there is not incentive for many Delaware D1 teams to play them. I get it. Go out of state then. You have no conference restrictions.
b) The playoff system is a joke at the moment with Friends, Tower, (conference Tie breakers) etc... Get on it DIAA
If you want to talk about fairness let's explore this. Is it fair that the conferences get an auto bid into the playoffs and teams not in a conference don't? Is it fair that a team without enough points to get in ( Delmar with a loss to wb) gets in just because they win the conference and theoretically a team with more points could get bumped out (CA 2009)? Im not saying I have a problem with conference winners getting an auto bid, but if every team does not have an opportunity for one then what is fair about that?

Reactions: Lazertron
If Caravel didn't schedule Silver Oak, Dickinson or Capitol Christian they would have had a real short schedule. Probably 7 games. People are ducking them. I've never wanted to believe that but now I know it's true.

If you want to talk about fairness let's explore this. Is it fair that the conferences get an auto bid into the playoffs and teams not in a conference don't? Is it fair that a team without enough points to get in ( Delmar with a loss to wb) gets in just because they win the conference and theoretically a team with more points could get bumped out (CA 2009)? Im not saying I have a problem with conference winners getting an auto bid, but if every team does not have an opportunity for one then what is fair about that?

I agree 100%. Let privates and charters crown their champs and let the traditional public schools crown their champs. Now that, would be fair.

Caravel and Salesianum have scheduled each other as recently as last year (2016). Caravel is not afraid to schedule up.

Caravel has been a very good citizen. When teams have needed a place to play because of weather Caravel has always made their field available.

I like the point system because it is based on math and not 7 old guys older than me sitting in a room picking the non conference winners for the tournament.

As Salesianum is in all likelihood sitting this one out, who should I root for?

Plus Salesianum invites alums to the Thanksgiving morning practice.There won't be a practice. What am I going to do Thanksgiving morning?

vacation_large.jpg

Reactions: Ikeyfbst2
I agree 100%. Let privates and charters crown their champs and let the traditional public schools crown their champs. Now that, would be fair.

Doing that in a state this small is kind of worthless. Will those champs meet up in a championship game.

Sallies is the last private school to win in football and that was in 2013.

Reactions: Lazertron
Doing that in a state this small is kind of worthless. Will those champs meet up in a championship game.

I think it would be worth them meeting in a pair of championship games. Here is the deal, fairness has been brought up more than once. We can go back and forth about public/private, but at the end of the day you are talking about two very different student populations. I think it makes for two great bragging rights games each year.

Rumor is that the game was canceled.... what’s the word on that? Anybody know. (If i missed it in this thread, sorry. Lol)

I realize it’s a small state but just expand the teams that make the playoffs. Keep the same point system and let the kids who normally would not have a chance to get the experience of playoff football. One more week of the post season would fix a lot of unjust in teams missing the playoffs, and would eliminate a lot of the near misses.

I'm just arguing that every team should have a chance at an auto bid. It's not fair that a public school can not earn enough points but still get in by winning a conference. If every team was in a conference of some kind and had a chance to get an auto bid it would eliminate that particular issue.

There's already close to 40-45% of teams in each division that reaches playoffs.....to add more teams devalues what the post season is all about.

Too many people expecting "participation" trophies these days.

If one wants to reach it, they should better their craft at the sport and they will get to it.

I will also add that if a child chooses to go to a school for example (and I mean no disrespect to those schools because they are great schools) but schools such as, Dickinson, Charter, Polytech, Delcastle, seaford and etc, should know they probably will not win a state championship or make the playoffs in football.

Unless that school has an influx of student athletes, they will not get past the schools like Sallies, Middletown, William Penn, and Caravels of the state.

Look at Smyrna for one example, for years they never tasted the success they are having right now. They were mentioned with the schools like Appo, Mount Pleasant, Mckean, Seaford. They were getting blown out by Middletown, Caesar Rodney, Dover, Sussex Central and not once did they cry about missing the playoffs. They tightened their helmet straps and went up against anyone on their schedule. Population grew and the athletes started coming out for the team and now they are having one of the better stories this state has seen, and good for them, they've earned it! They did what they had to to have the success they are having.

And hopefully after this season is over, and some of that star talent is gone, they can keep up what they are building down there in duck creek, because I agree with most and say it is great for Delaware high school football to see some new and better competition.

So what I'm saying is.......MAKE THESE KIDS EARN the right to play a post season game, Dont hand it too him like babies. This generation is too soft as it is.

**Ill add to this post with, I do believe Caravel is a Top 5 team in D2 and should be in the post season, as much as I believe Sallies is the 3rd best team in D1 and should be in the playoffs as well. Sallies should know though, you can't lose 4 games and expect to reach the post season, so that's on them. Caravel however is being jumped over by unworthy teams by a flawed system**

Last edited:
haven't seen Caravel update on their buccaneerssports.com page yet so should I assume its on, I need plans friday night and heading up to Bear could move to number one on the list.

There's already close to 40-45% of teams in each division that reaches playoffs.....to add more teams devalues what the post season is all about.

Too many people expecting "participation" trophies these days.

If one wants to reach it, they should better their craft at the sport and they will get to it.

I will also add that if a child chooses to go to a school for example (and I mean no disrespect to those schools because they are great schools) but schools such as, Dickinson, Charter, Polytech, Delcastle, seaford and etc, should know they probably will not win a state championship or make the playoffs in football.

Unless that school has an influx of student athletes, they will not get past the schools like Sallies, Middletown, William Penn, and Caravels of the state.

Look at Smyrna for one example, for years they never tasted the success they are having right now. They were mentioned with the schools like Appo, Mount Pleasant, Mckean, Seaford. They were getting blown out by Middletown, Caesar Rodney, Dover, Sussex Central and not once did they cry about missing the playoffs. They tightened their helmet straps and went up against anyone on their schedule. Population grew and the athletes started coming out for the team and now they are having one of the better stories this state has seen, and good for them, they've earned it! They did what they had to to have the success they are having.

And hopefully after this season is over, and some of that star talent is gone, they can keep up what they are building down there in duck creek, because I agree with most and say it is great for Delaware high school football to see some new and better competition.

So what I'm saying is.......MAKE THESE KIDS EARN the right to play a post season game, Dont hand it too him like babies. This generation is too soft as it is.

**Ill add to this post with, I do believe Caravel is a Top 5 team in D2 and should be in the post season, as much as I believe Sallies is the 3rd best team in D1 and should be in the playoffs as well. Sallies should know though, you can't lose 4 games and expect to reach the post season, so that's on them. Caravel however is being jumped over by unworthy teams by a flawed system**
There are 30 teams in the NBA 16 teams make it to playoffs or 53 percent of them. Adding teams won’t devalue the playoffs in Delaware. It will make it better. And more interesting.

NBA playoffs is devalued! Half those teams that make it don't belong in it. That's why there are so many series sweeps lately.

Reactions: Chesdel
Those that thought the CA-Concord game was back on...where did you get your information?

Was just told game is on... Facts I know DIAA was at CA for meeting last night and deemed the game good to go and within the rules.CAP does not want to play citing player safety and they dont have a suitable field. Concord agreed to pull equipment back out and play. No one has been told any different since..

Last edited:
Those that thought the CA-Concord game was back on...where did you get your information?
From one of the AD's. As of this am @ 7:45, game on. Caravel sold DIAA that they couldn't make the tournament, so it was just a game to be played.

Was just told game is on... Facts I know DIAA was at CA for meeting last night and deemed the game good to go and within the rules.CAP does not want to play citing player safety and they dont have a suitable field. Conrad agreed to pull equipment back out and play. No one has been told any different since..
Conrad? Concord?

From one of the AD's. As of this am @ 7:45, game on. Caravel sold DIAA that they couldn't make the tournament, so it was just a game to be played.

CA was going to take the FFT and play Concord regardless of outcome of the meeting last night.. bottom line is CAP doesnt want the game citing player safey and has no suitable place to play. The only field they have available has no pressbox, no electricity, no water, no fence to keep fans off the sidelines and is not fit for a HS game

Reactions: DrDesigno
And the funny part is Caravel STILL needs some dominoes (namely Howard and Delmar) to fall to even be in the conversation for the 8th seed with a win. If Conrad beats DMA, God bless em, but if they don't and Howard and Delmar fall, then Caravel will be in and that's a team NOBODY wants to play.

A Caravel win puts them in a tie with Milford at 3.7. If they win and Glasgow beats Howard, Delmar beats Woodbridger and Tower Hill losses to Friends puts them tied with Woodbridge, Delmar and Tower Hill all at 3.8.

Howard or Glasgow winning Flight B never had any bearing on Caravel getting in whether they played CAP or Concord. Delmar winning would have hurt their chances if they play CAP but not playing Concord it levels things out. BUT if Conrad was to Win against DMA it throws a wrench into a a couple of teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT