ADVERTISEMENT

Caravel - Sallies

futbolplyr9

Mascot
Nov 10, 2006
Anyone have a final score? I had to leave in the bottom of the 6th when it was knotted at 3. Highlights would be great!

Thats was a nice High School Baseball Game. Either team could have one the game. But I am going to talk about another topic of the Game the Sallies Pitcher #21. The Coach should be ashamed of himself to leaving this poor kid on the mound I know he threw over a 100 pitches in 30 degree weather. I was at the game a 30 min delay because the lights went out then to bring this kid back out after that long wait. This is what tears up arms. I played baseball at a high leval and this is not a good thing. If this Coach thinks he is going to win anything this season with one pitcher then Sallies is in trouble. I have no idea what the coach was thinking but if I were the parents or a concern person for this kid I would be letting him know this cant happen again. We all want to win but at a cost of a kids career. Talking to people at the game. This youngman #21 has alot of option to play college baseball. With his effort last night I can see why. But with this Coach pitching him like last night he may not make it to college. Look after these kids Coaches.......

Originally posted by dovetail:

Guess what - college coaches do the same.
Doesn't make it right. Not sure when the lights went out but if it was around the 5th inning there should have been a pitching change.

Too many pitches for someone to throw in the beginning of the season when it is almost below freezing out!!!!

I don't think anyone publishes official pitch counts, but I have heard that this wasn't the only 100+ outing in this young (and cold) season. IMO, these coaches aren't going to police themselves, and the current innings limits don't go far enough to protect the players' arms.

Touchthemall....you said it perfectly. Coaches aren't going to police themselves. Sad but true.

Sad thing is that the coaches think getting paid to win games is more important than taking care of these kids, kills me to watch these boys throwing that much, even on a hot day in the summer I worry when pitch counts get high and have had many players beg me to stay in but they have to realize that the future is ahead of them.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of this kid's season goes. The combination of number of pitches, first start, and freezing temps, could be very detrimental.

Let me pose this question/idea...why not give them pitch counts? They do in LL, why not continue into hs and travel ball.

Believe it or not, no states use pitch count. The only reason I've heard is that it will produce too many disputes about the actual count. In LL tournament play, there's always an official scorekeeper. Not so in high school baseball.

Part of the problem is that UCLs rarely snap during a game. There are no records kept for innings lost due to soreness, pitchers moving to other positions due to strains or partial tears, or gradual ligament fraying that leads to surgery after high school. Until the rules catch up to the research, this will be left up to the player (with his parents) to look out for himself, and most kids are just too competitive to do that.

This post was edited on 3/31 10:05 AM by TouchThemAll

Bottom line is coaches need to be responsible adults. You can not sacrifice a kids high school career for a game. Kid is a junior in high school. He should not have come back into the game in the 6th inning first game of the season on a cold night after a 30 minute delay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT