ADVERTISEMENT

Caravel vs. Conrad - Somebody's going to be a first time champ!

GateKeeperRefugee

All-State
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, the girls get to finish off the season on a Monday night. Awesome, right?

The best two teams in the state meet for the 2nd time this year and somebody will be winning their first state title.

Caravel earned the top seed with a ton of two-point opponents and taking care of business against many an in-state team. The transfer of Kendra Warren from Sanford to Del Laws Road gave them a scoring post presence to go along with Kaylee Otlowski and the three-headed guard monster of Sasha Marvel, Maia Bryson and Karli Cauley have won games at different times for them this year. Caravel is of course coached by Bucs alum and of the greatest scorers in state history, Kristin (Mills) Caldwell. This isn't even her most talented team, but it is her deepest and I feel her best coaching job. They took care of business all the way through and are in the Final for the 2nd straight year.

Conrad is the team of the future - if you're old enough to remember the '86 Rockets punching the Lakers in the mouth and giving the 67-win Celtics hell in the Finals, you understand where I'm going with the comparison. The Red Wolves have Stefanie and Julie Kulesza, two prodigies who will be the first pair of sisters maybe ever in Delaware to be first-team all-state. Ja'Nylah Whittlesey has turned into a bona fide post problem, scoring in bunches and protecting the lane/the glass for her team. Role players like Alyssa Faville, Jordan Rook and Alexis Oakley help keep teams honest. Conrad's coached by John Kulesza, who has the benefit of two outstanding daughters and was a key member of Sanford's first boys' hoops title way back when.

Conrad won their regular season meeting, but it was still up in the air until the final minutes. What Caravel must do different is try to make anybody but the Kulesza sisters beat you. Whittlesey's a dominant presence, but if she's in foul trouble, that opens things up for Warren/Otlowski. They need big games from their backcourt. Marvel/Bryson/Cauley have to show up and show out, no questions asked.

Momentum favors both teams coming in - Caravel took care of business in their bracket while Conrad should be coming on a high after dethroning three-time champ Ursuline.

I've gone with Conrad all season. I simply can't back away from that prediction now. It'll be close, but Caravel's experience could swing this game in their favor.

That said, I'll take Conrad to win their first (of possibly a few) state titles, 65-59.

Everytime I watch Conrad I keep an eye on Alyssa Faville. Often the shortest player on the court, she does so many things well. She rebounds, sets up the sisters, shoots from inside and outside. I think she could be a key tonight.

Reactions: Sports_Fan72
Everytime I watch Conrad I keep an eye on Alyssa Faville. Often the shortest player on the court, she does so many things well. She rebounds, sets up the sisters, shoots from inside and outside. I think she could be a key tonight.

You called it - Alyssa Faville has 10 first half points.

Conrad leads 21-17 at the half.

Nice call

Very good call

Crazy exciting game. Tough one for either team to lose. Neither team shot too well and credit both teams with there grind it out defense. Excellent game by both teams.

Reactions: DEGirlsBballFan
Conrad was the best team all year long and they definitely earned it. I feel horrible for the Caravel girls and Kristin Caldwell. You make 18 of 19 free throws and hold Julie Kulesza scoreless, you should be state champions. That's why role players are important and Alyssa Faville definitely made the difference last night.

Conrad was the best team all year long and they definitely earned it. I feel horrible for the Caravel girls and Kristin Caldwell. You make 18 of 19 free throws and hold Julie Kulesza scoreless, you should be state champions. That's why role players are important and Alyssa Faville definitely made the difference last night.

She's only a role player because she's on that team, she's REALLY GOOD in her own right.

They actually have 5 players capable of being a star on any given night.

I'm confused too, Rider. I was just talking about basketball, next thing you know I come back and it says I've been banned for rules violations. No e-mail or anything.

Crazy, I’ve never seen or read any inappropriate posts from gatekeeperrerugee ever...can’t even be sure it’s actually you, that’s how ridiculous this sounds. To my knowledge we haven’t had a mediator on this site in years. mmmmm, sounds suspicious to me

Last edited:
Reactions: big-picture
And all of them are back next year, right?
Yes. Two seniors are graduating, Alexis Oakley and Maddie Tiberi. Expect more from Erin Rangean next year, and perhaps Morgan McGovern. That would give the Red Wolves a bit more depth than they had this season, which is a scary thought.

Yes. Two seniors are graduating, Alexis Oakley and Maddie Tiberi. Expect more from Erin Rangean next year, and perhaps Morgan McGovern. That would give the Red Wolves a bit more depth than they had this season, which is a scary thought.

winning is attractive, be on the lookout for new faces too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT