ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches

myrealname

In the weight room getting big
Sep 11, 2008
Maybe this will start some conversation. This joint is dead! Nobody care anymore?

Here is my rankings of coaches. Sorry I don't knew everyone's name.

1 - Shultie - good staff and always a very good team even when they lose a lot of kids.

2 - Dooley - always seems to have his teams ready.

3 - Dan Rigby - took over Milford when they were down and made them a winner. Now he took over CR when that program could have easily fallen apart.

4 - Mattioni - very good coaches and while they never get respect they are always tough in the best conference in state.

5 - Parsley - been at it a long time and is always at the top or near. Great technician.

6 - R Rigby - coaches at a school that has a horrible football team and really no other good boys teams but they are always competitive with a few very good kids.

7a - Windish - loses kids to bigger programs but always tough. Seems to have a lot of kids with little or no experience.

7b - Layfield - not many stars but always very competitive.

8 - Howell - very good technical coach and only this low because those kids come in already tough and get a lot of help via transfer. He has carried on the winning traditions at Smyrna none the less.

9 - Sallies coach - dropped this low because they have the benefit of no boundaries. Can pull from NJ, PA, MD and DE so they should always be good. No recruiting competition from St Marks anymore.

That's all I got.

Thoughts? Know I'm going to get killed on at least one.

"8 - Howell - very good technical coach and only this low because those kids come in already tough and get a lot of help via transfer. He has carried on the winning traditions at Smyrna none the less."
This probably the one you expected feedback about. Kids do come in tough already. He does more polishing than chiseling from scratch. He had taken kids with NO experience and made them competitive, and in at least one case, a state champion. But I don't know if they get "a lot of help via transfer". Of the few kids that have transferred in, most have been associated with Smyrna as kids and have come back as opposed to just coming in cold. Also, no one ever talks about the good kids that Smyrna has lost over the years via transfer.

YJM, how many transfer ins do they have this year? Yes they have Smyrna roots but they were at different schools last year when they wouldn't crack the lineup and then came back. Of course they lose kids, but it's kids that while very good, wouldn't crack the lineup had they stayed. True?

YJM, how many transfer ins do they have this year? Yes they have Smyrna roots but they were at different schools last year when they wouldn't crack the lineup and then came back. Of course they lose kids, but it's kids that while very good, wouldn't crack the lineup had they stayed. True?
Well, Ian Moser, DJ Johnson, Andy Schmuser (sp?), Mark Mulnick, and some others were quality wrestlers. If a kid is a Smyrna kid that returns, I don't consider them transfers. Bottom line is that kids move around in several districts but it would be foolish to think that Smyrna success is due to transfers. And if Kurt was just an average coach, Smyrna would be a lesser team. To put a coach as accomplished in wrestling (high school, college, Olympic) so low on a list of current DE coaches seems incorrect based on objective criteria.

Last edited:
#8 for a guy that has won 4 straight Division I state titles because he gets transfers is kind of harsh. He also did a pretty fair job at IR where he cut his teeth in the coaching ranks. With the exception of IR and maybe Wm Penn all these teams have transfers on them. I know all of these guys personally, some are very close friends, most I've known for many years and one I am able to call coach. They are all good men with great passion for the sport.
Pretty good list an analysis. I would add Boone now at Hodgson, won a title at Polytech, Harris at Dover, did built a program in Florida time will tell what he can do at Dover, Gladen at Laurel, they may rattle the D2 cage this year, he has brought excitement back to Laurel. Not to slight anybody, but those are just off the top of my head.

@my..
Smyrna is the new St Marks.. haha

do you think Sanford will reel in any more ringers?
or will they end up in the 19977 zip code?
see what I did there YJM??
Have a nice Holiday ..
big games this weekend (warm up for 2 teams) then the Big Dance!!

Last edited:
@my..
Smyrna is the new St Marks.. haha

do you think Sanford will real in any more ringers?
or will they end up in the 19977 zip code?
see what I did there YJM??
Have a nice Holiday ..
big games this weekend (warm up for 2 teams) then the Big Dance!!
Anyone who volunteers to come to Smyrna wrestling must be a ringer to crack the line-up. We'll warm up the tractors and flatbeds for the moving party! You have a good holiday as well. Thanksgiving may be the last caloric hurrah for the wrestlers. As far as football is concerned, it's supposed to be very cold and windy Saturday night so I'll wait till Sunday to think about the Big Dance.

Reactions: spartakos
I'm sensing dislike for one program and an affiliation with another on the list. Lol. Just a guess! Hard to argue with success as hammer pointed out. 4 straight D1 titles in any sport is impressive and hard to argue with that success. Think you slight him but also think that was intentional. Overall good list. All great coaches and good guys. Can think of many others that could be mentioned.

You guys! @HammersWrestling so you tell me, if I put coach from DMA or the say coach from Delcastle in at Smyrna the last 4 years you don't think the win 4? I beg to differ but what does a dumb wrestling dad like me know.
Happy Thanksgiving fellas and I honestly appreciate all of the coaches that give their time to our kids. Peace love and polka dots!

Mighty quiet @HammersWrestling I think we both know that I'm right. The guy was an incredible wrestler and is a very good coach but please don't give credit for all of Smyrna High success to him. Those guys who run the youth program have them boys ready years before high school. No slight to the man. After Sheldon Thomas he's probably the most successful wrestler in Delaware history. I honestly didn't know he was at Indian Ruver previously.

No one in their right mind would ever give all the credit for Smyrna success to coach Howell. Everyone knows that the kid program plays a huge role in their success. But at the same time, he should not be penalized or get demerits because of it. When evaluating coaches, more comes into play then their ability to start kids from scratch to be successful. Teaching skills, motivation skills, expertise in the sport, management of student-athletes, staff, community, etc. I think you are putting far too great an emphasis on just one aspect of being a coach. In addition, since the kids come into the room pretty prepared, how can you know what he could do with under prepared kids? As I have mentioned , he has taken kids with no experience and turned them into state placers in a few years.

Reactions: myrealname
I said I'm not slighting him. When I did the list I took into account winning, how good of feeders they have and just what I see. I have no access to grades obviously. I see more henlopen teams but do get out to some tourneys with upstate teams. @youjustme would you agree that the competition in the room contribute to kids with no experience beings successful in addition to the coaching? That room had so much talent. My guess is it was a 106 or a big guy you're talking about right? I don't think saying a guy is the 8th best coach in my opinion is bad in a state that has a lot of quality coaches from what I see.

mrn, yes it is usually the littles and bigs that come in with no experience. My kids started at 5 & 6 years old. The talent in the room does go a long way to sharpening the kids. I'm not really campaigning for a higher ranking for Howell. Just pointing out that by most objective criteria, he would be ranked as one of the best coaches in DE. When you have a lot of talent in the room (often logjammed at certain wts), there is the addition needed skill of juggling egos and attitudes to keep everyone engaged in moving the team forward. I like the coaches on your list. All coaches have to deal with injuries, grades, behavior, Dads, "teenage hormonal distractions", high school admins, DIAA, and their personal lives to boot. Hats off to each and every one of them. And if starting from scratch to develop kids is big on your criteria list, Mike Datillo (Mikey Dat!) does a yeoman's job at Concord year in and year out (and Peters). :)

Reactions: concord87
Why thanks Youjustme. Appreciate that and now it's Peters (and datillo) since he's the man in charge now. Haha. I really don't think most get how much is involved as the head coach at the HS level which is the main reason I stepped down to assistant. Teaching in the room, tracking and entering weights, entering results for every event, submitting lineups with records for all tournaments, scouting other results, running wrestle offs every week, watching academics, dealing with parents and the kids, ect ect ect. The best head coaches surround themselves with great assistants! Look at the names on that list and all have very good long term assistants that help with the day to day.

You'll like one of "from scratch" kids this year. Great kid, strong as an ox, is picking up the sport quickly and loves it! Can't wait to watch him grow. One of our dedicated volunteer coaches, who also happens to be peters father has been working with him every day!

Why thanks Youjustme. Appreciate that and now it's Peters (and datillo) since he's the man in charge now. Haha. I really don't think most get how much is involved as the head coach at the HS level which is the main reason I stepped down to assistant. Teaching in the room, tracking and entering weights, entering results for every event, submitting lineups with records for all tournaments, scouting other results, running wrestle offs every week, watching academics, dealing with parents and the kids, ect ect ect. The best head coaches surround themselves with great assistants! Look at the names on that list and all have very good long term assistants that help with the day to day.
Haha, I saw the change when I went to your website to double check the spelling of your name! That's why I had to add Peters parenthetically, and sheepishly!

Mighty quiet @HammersWrestling I think we both know that I'm right. The guy was an incredible wrestler and is a very good coach but please don't give credit for all of Smyrna High success to him. Those guys who run the youth program have them boys ready years before high school. No slight to the man. After Sheldon Thomas he's probably the most successful wrestler in Delaware history. I honestly didn't know he was at Indian Ruver previously.
Dude it was Thanksgiving yesterday, depreps wasn't on my radar.

@YJM
egos , attitudes , and dads!!
that's some funny shetz!! just a couple years back you guys had one dad trying to derail the program because of a certain "ringer" that appeared out of nowhere... I told my Posse I would hate to be Coach Howell in that situation.... haaaaa
It all worked out , it always does and actually made the kid a better wrestler!!
As for the dad, well I'll just leave that alone..
2 more games than start hiding the sweets!!
See what I did there?

6 & 9 have no feeders programs and regardless of what some think no recruitment either. Both have admissions processses so not every kid gets in. I've personally had experience with a very good wrestler not being able to get into 9. Also for 9, while you are correct myrealname that they can get kids from other states, there is also a big 14k a year obstacle that steers MANY kids away. I personally know many coaches on your list and while I don't agree with your ranking it's not worth my time to rank myself. I think they are all great coaches who dedicate their time for the love of the sport & kids. They have built great programs and like someone else stated surround themselves with amazing assistants & volunteers. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Can't wait to go watch wrestling next weekend! Good luck to all Delaware wrestlers.

Last edited:
The only thing I'll say as for the having no feeders comment is that most of the kids coming into those programs have experience. They are getting it somewhere even if it's not an affiliated program. Up here we all get kids from middle schools and a lot from Bulldog wrestling club as of late. Our middle schools just aren't as competitive as downstate quite yet, but some are improving. Talley just got a team back last year after a year off and springer has a decent program.

Concord -- so I guess I need to explain, imo a true feeder program is a system dedicated to the future of a particular school. Smyrna, CR, Cape, Central, Penn and others have this. I'm not saying that 6, 9 ,or your school don't get kids with experience from HB, bulldogs, alpha dogs, tyrants, etc. I'm saying they aren't pulling in and having relationships with any particular program for many reasons. I'm sure every school gets first year wrestlers but as for coaches on myrealnames list I know these two battle with many inexperienced wrestlers every year (which is a good thing, keep growing the sport). Some posters on depreps think the upstate private/charter schools get handed their pick of experienced kids and I can tell you first hand that's not the case. I love the future of Delaware wrestling and hope more NCC schools start programs as you said Talley did recently.

Yeah looking at it like that none of us upstate in northern NCC have true feeders. Thankfully Talley's admin was open to starting back up last year when I contacted them in the summer. They said if I could help find coaches they would have a team and they followed through. Personally what Reese Rigby does at Charter is impressive to me. I'd put him up there with any coach in the state. All good guys who bust their asses year in and year out.

Hard not to put Mike Welch into this conversation. Has no feeder program. Excellent technician and has coached a beast champion, and coached two of the three wrestlers who have the most wins in state history. He also claimed the D2 title back in 2011. Solid resume.

@peoples...
trust me, the Beast Champ put time in a lot of wrestling rooms!!
just saying

Concord -- so I guess I need to explain, imo a true feeder program is a system dedicated to the future of a particular school. Smyrna, CR, Cape, Central, Penn and others have this. I'm not saying that 6, 9 ,or your school don't get kids with experience from HB, bulldogs, alpha dogs, tyrants, etc. I'm saying they aren't pulling in and having relationships with any particular program for many reasons. I'm sure every school gets first year wrestlers but as for coaches on myrealnames list I know these two battle with many inexperienced wrestlers every year (which is a good thing, keep growing the sport). Some posters on depreps think the upstate private/charter schools get handed their pick of experienced kids and I can tell you first hand that's not the case. I love the future of Delaware wrestling and hope more NCC schools start programs as you said Talley did recently.
Who is Penn's feeder program

Hard not to put Mike Welch into this conversation. Has no feeder program. Excellent technician and has coached a beast champion, and coached two of the three wrestlers who have the most wins in state history. He also claimed the D2 title back in 2011. Solid resume.
Doesn't caravel have a middle school program

Maybe this will start some conversation. This joint is dead! Nobody care anymore?

Here is my rankings of coaches. Sorry I don't knew everyone's name.

1 - Shultie - good staff and always a very good team even when they lose a lot of kids.

2 - Dooley - always seems to have his teams ready.

3 - Dan Rigby - took over Milford when they were down and made them a winner. Now he took over CR when that program could have easily fallen apart.

4 - Mattioni - very good coaches and while they never get respect they are always tough in the best conference in state.

5 - Parsley - been at it a long time and is always at the top or near. Great technician.

6 - R Rigby - coaches at a school that has a horrible football team and really no other good boys teams but they are always competitive with a few very good kids.

7a - Windish - loses kids to bigger programs but always tough. Seems to have a lot of kids with little or no experience.

7b - Layfield - not many stars but always very competitive.

8 - Howell - very good technical coach and only this low because those kids come in already tough and get a lot of help via transfer. He has carried on the winning traditions at Smyrna none the less.

9 - Sallies coach - dropped this low because they have the benefit of no boundaries. Can pull from NJ, PA, MD and DE so they should always be good. No recruiting competition from St Marks anymore.

That's all I got.

Thoughts? Know I'm going to get killed on at least one.

Let's all give props to ALL coaches....frankly each coach brings a unique aspect of coaching to their team. Most are in it for the right reasons. They should get awards for dealing with the crazy parents....personally I could never coach as I'm sure a parent or two would get throat punched. haha Also there is a fair amount of wrestlers not wrestling in their district across the boards but until someone ends that not much anyone can do. 4-5 just on Smyrna that should be in either Appo, Mtown, and I think Cr. Days of recruitment and tuition from private school is slim to none. This is no longer the era of St. Marks giving tuition. Trust me....privates don't sink money into wrestling almost all is devoted to football and I don't foresee that changing.

Reactions: wtc76
It's not let's give a trophy to everyone time. Jeezo! Caravel has a middle school team and draws from anywhere. Sure he's a good coach though just don't see them much. William Penn has a really really good middle school they feed from right? Name isn't coming to me but think I'm right. This wasn't meant to insult anyone. Most top teams have primarily kids that come in with experience prior to ninth grade. Glad it drummer up some talk.

Now for the crazy dads stuff. Good coaches handle that from the get go. They don't like it they can leave and go somewhere else. It really must be hell having to deal with too much talent on the team. The horror. Poor guy!

I don't see how you can rank Howell so low on this list, regardless of transfers and the feeder program he is one of the best coaches in the state. When it comes to dual meets, he knows what he's doing and always makes sure he puts his team in the best situation to win. I'm not going to point fingers but you have coaches ahead of Howell that have had just as many transfers if not more, think about that.

I don't see how you can rank Howell so low on this list, regardless of transfers and the feeder program he is one of the best coaches in the state. When it comes to dual meets, he knows what he's doing and always makes sure he puts his team in the best situation to win. I'm not going to point fingers but you have coaches ahead of Howell that have had just as many transfers if not more, think about that.
Please please sir tell me what coaches above him have had more notable transfers in the last 4 or 5 years. Central used to but that seems to have slowed down as of late.

Reactions: Dahammer23
The only thing I'll say as for the having no feeders comment is that most of the kids coming into those programs have experience. They are getting it somewhere even if it's not an affiliated program. Up here we all get kids from middle schools and a lot from Bulldog wrestling club as of late. Our middle schools just aren't as competitive as downstate quite yet, but some are improving. Talley just got a team back last year after a year off and springer has a decent program.
Concorde, I do not know if things have changed but I remember when #6 had 6 or 7 wrestlers on the team. IR came in one night and shut them out. Mr Rigby and some of the parents and kids have helped grow that program over the years.
I am not sure where Rigby would get feeders from. HB normally feeds AI, the wrestlers there that have parents who feel education is more important than wrestling try to push their children to Charter. I am pretty sure most parents in NCCo want their kids to go to Charter. It is a great stepping stone. My own son was not accepted there and you know how he made out in 3 HS Sports. Charter is not easy to get into no matter how much athletic talent a kid may have. I would think it is probably one of the most difficult programs in the state to grow.
I tried to talk a very talented QB into going there. He played CYA football with my son. His father thought it was a tuition paying school. I explained thaqt it wasn't and that it was one of the top ranked schools in the country. Unfortunately, this young man did not get in even though the coach at the time really wanted him.

Things have changed a little. They have a decent sized team now. They do get, but also lose, a transfer here and there just like a lot of teams. This year they did get a state qualifier from last year transferred in from another school. They do have kids coming in with experience, but also some with no experience like many of us. Not sure where the kids come from but charter does have some freshmen that come in and make an immediate impact. He's done a great job over there and I'm happy that I was able to present him with his Coach of the Year award 8-9 years back. He's a guy that built a program from scratch. It's not an easy thing to do! It's also great to see the support they get from their fans! Hope things are good with you and the family!

Reactions: HDST06
Things have changed a little. They have a decent sized team now. They do get, but also lose, a transfer here and there just like a lot of teams. This year they did get a state qualifier from last year transferred in from another school. They do have kids coming in with experience, but also some with no experience like many of us. Not sure where the kids come from but charter does have some freshmen that come in and make an immediate impact. He's done a great job over there and I'm happy that I was able to present him with his Coach of the Year award 8-9 years back. He's a guy that built a program from scratch. It's not an easy thing to do! It's also great to see the support they get from their fans! Hope things are good with you and the family!
Hey Concord. Technically not a transfer for the state qualifier. Just an 8th grader that could wrestle for his HS last year, then chose a different HS for 9th grade.

Gotcha and wasn't a knock at all. Know that happens with kids at schools like yours and caravel where 8th graders can wrestle on HS team. My point was that they have built a good program and kids that wrestle want to go there now. It's not an easy school to get into and they don't care how good of an athlete you are, that doesn't help you get in!

Thanks Concorde. Things are good. I am coming up hoping to get a Charter match in while I am there. The kids are alright, my oldest son is down south, got engaged last month. I am trying to encourage him to help the local HS by coaching, he says he is really busy. The younger son is still in college graduating in May.
Good luck to you and your team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT