ADVERTISEMENT

Competition Disparity

Delaxer

Mascot
Apr 7, 2019
Just took a look at a lot of the box scores - Is it just me or does it seem like this year, more than ever, Sallies and Cape are leaps and bounds better then everyone else.

Think in preseason there were talks of CR and Sanford being that next tier but so far it looks like both of them would be 10+ goals losses, wouldn't even be competitive imo.

Think this trend continues in the future and Cape is already following Sallies lead in playing more and more out of state competition. Can’t blame them either.

Maybe someone on this thread knows for sure but it would appear that Sallies had trouble scheduling out of state teams this season as only 3 are on the schedule. Usually the Sals play 4 or 5 top 25 teams but only have Culver and Malvern this year.

With the exception of Cape, the Sals playing Delaware teams is uncomfortable to watch. Against all three Delaware teams they've played the Sals could have scored 30 if they wanted to. I cant wait to see the Sals vs Cape game. Cape played Episcopal and Gillman tough.

Maybe someone on this thread knows for sure but it would appear that Sallies had trouble scheduling out of state teams this season as only 3 are on the schedule. Usually the Sals play 4 or 5 top 25 teams but only have Culver and Malvern this year.

With the exception of Cape, the Sals playing Delaware teams is uncomfortable to watch. Against all three Delaware teams they've played the Sals could have scored 30 if they wanted to. I cant wait to see the Sals vs Cape game. Cape played Episcopal and Gillman tough.
ANd it looks liek

I think it's unfair to completely count Sanford out -- unlike CR, they haven't shown a reason to be. CR recently lost to Salesianum 19-2 and took Smyrna to a late 4th quarter game (12-9). Sanford hasn't played anyone particularly merited, so I don't believe they deserve to be discredited just yet.
Depending on how Monday (4/19/21) proceeds, the newly scheduled IMG games will be interesting to compare before the state tournament.

The state required 10 instate games this year wasn't Sallies, Cape, etc choice. And it's a mistake, just look at the scores - those games are not fun for the winning team or losing team.

Thinking about I think they split football too far - 2 divisions was enough there - but if there is a sport that needs a D1 vs D2 I think it is lacrosse.

It couldn't be school size as that is not a driving factor into the competitiveness of lacrosse like it is for football.

Maybe use the same concepts as football though were there will be a review every two years and some team will be moved up and down, have two divisions and for criteria maybe roster size and on the field performance are used to build an index that rank orders the teams in the state and split them into two buckets 1 & 2 and then north vs south for scheduling purposes.

Then have two 10-12 team tournaments for each division - would be more competitive and would allow more access to the playoffs for some teams that will never see it in the current structure.

Just for fun how about these two divisions, would be a lot more competitive IMO and you could forget the North vs South and say you need to play at least 5 in state games and then no auto bids just rank order via the current point index for playoff seeding. Maybe put in a bonus point for teams in D2 playing up against D1 like football.

D1 - 18 Teams with 10 team playoffs
North
Salesianum
Newark Charter
Sanford
Tower Hill
Charter
Archmere
DMA
Wilm Friends
Tatnall

South
Sussex Academy
Cape Henlopen
Caesar Rodney
Middletown
Appoquinimink
Smyrna
Dover
Milford
St. Andrew's

D2 - 24 teams with a 12 team playoffs
North
William Penn
Wilm Christian
Conrad
Concord
Brandywine
Mt. Pleasant
St. Mark's
Delcastle
Newark
St. Elizabeth
AI duPont
Hodgson Vo-Tech

South
Red Lion
Caravel Academy
St. Georges
First State Military Academy
Lake Forest
Polytech
Sussex Tech
Indian River
Woodbridge
Sussex Central
MOT Charter
Delmar

Sals and Cape should be independent schools in lacrosse. Both programs have earned the right to make their own schedule without restrictions made by DIAA or Henlopen Conference.

Sals and Cape should play for the State Title next week. Waiting only stretches out the inevitable.

For the 5th week in a row US Lacrosse Magazine gives US Top 25 consideration to Salesianum.

For the 5th week in a row US Lacrosse Magazine gives US Top 25 consideration to Salesianum.
Not enough tough games to "prove" they are top 25. But this Saturday that changes with Malvern on the schedule. Going to be a tall order to beat Malvern is one of the best in the country just pounding good good teams right now. Win that and Salesianum probably deserves top 15 IMO

Yeah I think Malvern is an obstacle Sals must achieve to get to “Top 25” status. Malvern it seems always has their number.

Yeah I think Malvern is an obstacle Sals must achieve to get to “Top 25” status. Malvern it seems always has their number.
Agreed Tarzan, Slax is going to have executive in every facet of the game and not get caught up emotionally. It’s a game of runs and momentum. I thought they played well against Culver, but got caught up in the emotional side of the game. Win the percentages at X, keep it close, no stupid penalties especially 2 man down, and convert on man up. This team has no one superstar that everyone is watching, solid keeper and D and balance on O. Let’s see if they can break the cycle.

Agreed Tarzan, Slax is going to have executive in every facet of the game and not get caught up emotionally. It’s a game of runs and momentum. I thought they played well against Culver, but got caught up in the emotional side of the game. Win the percentages at X, keep it close, no stupid penalties especially 2 man down, and convert on man up. This team has no one superstar that everyone is watching, solid keeper and D and balance on O. Let’s see if they can break the cycle.
Nice effort by Slax for 3 qtrs; however, when your playing a Malvern you need to play mistake free lax for all 4qrts.The big difference that I saw was the Friars size and physicality. They just wore them down in the fourth when they pulled away. Not putting anything on the refs, but once again high school referring is inconsistent. Players making runs, players extending their arms, wrap checks that are just slashing. Slax has nothing to be ashamed about. Keep focused on the prize.

My apologies for writing Sanford off so easily earlier, solid win against Cape today.

I did watch the game on a live stream, thought it was more Cape having a bad game then Sanford being the better team. Cape looked flat all game with, like they overlooked Sanford and instead of stepping up thier game they just became annoyed they weren’t winning. This attitude was epitomized with Gabe Best, a D-1 commit, only had 1 late goal and roughly 10 sloppy turnovers. (No knock on the kid though, he’s dirty, just an example) Meanwhile this was Sanfords super bowl and had the game circled on the calendar all year.

Kudos for Sanford getting the job done especially thier 8th grade goalie who is gonna be really good. Thier FO guy was also a mismatch problem, looked big. Still think it’s (1) Sallies (2) Cape and (3) Sanford. This win will help Sanford in seeding big time cus they won’t have to face Sallies until the championship.

My apologies for writing Sanford off so easily earlier, solid win against Cape today.

I did watch the game on a live stream, thought it was more Cape having a bad game then Sanford being the better team. Cape looked flat all game with, like they overlooked Sanford and instead of stepping up thier game they just became annoyed they weren’t winning. This attitude was epitomized with Gabe Best, a D-1 commit, only had 1 late goal and roughly 10 sloppy turnovers. (No knock on the kid though, he’s dirty, just an example) Meanwhile this was Sanfords super bowl and had the game circled on the calendar all year.

Kudos for Sanford getting the job done especially thier 8th grade goalie who is gonna be really good. Thier FO guy was also a mismatch problem, looked big. Still think it’s (1) Sallies (2) Cape and (3) Sanford. This win will help Sanford in seeding big time cus they won’t have to face Sallies until the championship.
Got to see this one all the way through -- the refs made the difference (especially in the first half). Lots of questionable calls and lots of confusion between the two on-field referees. Sanford kids would just trip over themselves and there'd be a flag. I also completely agree that Cape was out of their mojo. After the game, Sanford did act as though they won the Superbowl.
It's also a shame that there is not a high standard for live streaming games, as I always need to put the audio on mute.

Got to see this one all the way through -- the refs made the difference (especially in the first half). Lots of questionable calls and lots of confusion between the two on-field referees. Sanford kids would just trip over themselves and there'd be a flag. I also completely agree that Cape was out of their mojo. After the game, Sanford did act as though they won the Superbowl.
It's also a shame that there is not a high standard for live streaming games, as I always need to put the audio on mute.
Saw the game. To say the refs made the difference is embarrassing. Minimal flags in second half, those thrown benefitted Cape. Sanford controlled possession because of face off domination. Cape had possession with 2 minutes remaining, chance to take the lead, and turned it over. Can say Best had a rough day, but have to give credit to Bauguess who shut him down and forced turnovers. Cape may have taken them lightly but Sanford was the better team today and earned the right to be in the conversation as a legitimate contender.

Reactions: RiskReward
Saw the game. To say the refs made the difference is embarrassing. Minimal flags in second half, those thrown benefitted Cape. Sanford controlled possession because of face off domination. Cape had possession with 2 minutes remaining, chance to take the lead, and turned it over. Can say Best had a rough day, but have to give credit to Bauguess who shut him down and forced turnovers. Cape may have taken them lightly but Sanford was the better team today and earned the right to be in the conversation as a legitimate contender.
Yea i thought officiating was bad but it’s highschool, not gonna be perfect and no valid excuse for a loss. Good teams overcome.

But after watching the game today, can’t say Sanford looked as talented/organized as Cape or Sallies but they showed they are talented enough to hang with both of them. Cape and Sallies can’t just play a mediocre game and win, as evident of today’s outcome.

We’ll see how seeding plays out, if Cape and Sallies play in the same bracket that may give Sanford the chance they need. My best is Sallies wins, they got the talent and hunger after losing back in 2019.

It is very interesting for you to say that all second-half flags supported Cape while, if my memory serves correctly, they had a fastbreak opportunity cut short and an objectively wrong offside call on them. Both interrupting some potentially game-altering momentum shifts. While that is not the sole reason Sanford won, you have to take it into account.

This is eerily similar to 2017 when Wilmington Friends was undefeated and beat Cape by 1 or 2, only to lose by 10 in the semifinals. Although Sanford played a relatively good game, it is still way too early to assume that they have a chance of competing come playoff time.

Its always been Salesianum, Cape and Sanford and it still is after today nothing really changed.

2 of those 3 will be playing Memorial Day weekend and seeding will play a huge part of which two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT