ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders this year?

upstatewrestlingfan

Getting reps on JV
Feb 21, 2017
there are the favorites every year, but how about the sleepers who could make a big run? I like dma, good solid team, good coaches, people always sleep on dma, dma will be a good team this year

With the scrimmages DMA has this year in Smyrna, Dover, St Georges and Caravel, they will see pretty early how they stack up

Although playing Archmere, Conrad, Wilmington Christian, and Newark Charter twice each stinks for DMA

DMA is very good with solid pitching. Tough opener vs. Middletown who has beaten them 3 times in 2 years. Both games last year DMA had big leads and lost. The last coming on a walk off win in the tournament. Danz is a one of the better pitchers in the state. Can't wait for the season to start. First scrimmage for MHS is Tuesday.

DMA will be in the mix. They have a good program. Young coaches with college experience (WilmU guys and 1 GA Southern) and they work them boys. Head Coach will enjoy his fruits this season with the class he started with when they were freshman. Good years to come. Several returning players. Newark Charter will be very tough and Conrad will battle. Very good programs also. Those 3 schools are catching up with the every year powerhouses in Delaware. St. Marks is still the team to beat with Caravel, Appo, Middletown, Poly, Dover, and Smyrna.

Not sure how you don't have Cape as a contender? Lost absolutely nothing and have all the depth in the world for pitching. I think the North is between Cape and Poly. Polytech can hit very well, lost their starting CF but can move people around to make things work. Best offense vs best pitching should be a good year.

Really do like Conrad. Watched them last year and should be strong again this year. Also looking for archmere to be a sleeper this year.

Conrad lost Kramedas and Brock Nowell, but they had a ton of juniors who should be back this season. They were fun to watch and should be a contender.

Brock Nowell is currently a senior at Conrad. Should be a standout both hitting and catching.

Top 4 in my opinion:

1) Saint Marks - great coaching, returning a lot of talent. always contenders
2) Cape - one of the best pitching staffs the state has seen in recent history
3) Appo - another solid pitching staff with a lot of other talent surrounding them
4) Sals - been hearing rumors that the broom street kids are super excited about their chances, always have a talented roster, maybe this year could be their year

I like St. Marks to make a run because of the amount of senior talent. Conrad, DMA, and cape should be major factors as well. My sleeper team would have to be St. Elizabeth's. Underrated coach really develops his players, not to mention Nate Thomas is a pure slugger.

I like St. Marks to make a run because of the amount of senior talent. Conrad, DMA, and cape should be major factors as well. My sleeper team would have to be St. Elizabeth's. Underrated coach really develops his players, not to mention Nate Thomas is a pure slugger.
we played travel ball with nate and by the end of fall he was absolutely killing the ball .

I don't know why everyone is sleeping on Middletown. (& APPO)
1) Cole Dunn RHP (Radford) is as much of a front line ace as any pitcher in the State. Period (works out with UD Chad Kuhl ..I predict 1st team AS)
Luke Wooten (Jr) would be a number one starter on 1/2 teams in State
Spencer Harbert (Kentucky commit) is in mix best 4 hitter in State
Brandon Rohrer (Liberty commit) is a D1 2 way player
Then should be able to fill a line up 1-9 able to field it and quality ABs. So 4 high level D1 commits in upperclasses.
APPO is no joke either with D1 talent ... a must see game when these cross town rivals match up.

Barker hit a homerun down the right field line it was a shot, Conrad scored 4 runs off silan in the 2 innings he pitched

Middletown and cape are gonna be hard to beat with pitching depth. Appo also has very good pitching depth steckline, garret,stamper and heard there is a very good sophomore that transferred from Newark but my guess would be cape is winning it all

Classic parent post.. It's my experience most the politics and drama come from the parents not the coaches.. just saying of course..
I'd like to agree, but politics does play a big role in high school baseball. I do think the parents add fuel to the fire, but I've seen way too many unjustified, questionable moves from head coaches over the years that lead back to politics. It's for sure a tricky game though

I'd like to agree, but politics does play a big role in high school baseball. I do think the parents add fuel to the fire, but I've seen way too many unjustified, questionable moves from head coaches over the years that lead back to politics. It's for sure a tricky game though

Politics as in being loyal to the kids who have been in the program giving them their shot before handing it over to a 9th or 10th grader? dues have to be paid and it would take an exceptional player to crack the line up at a good program as a 9th or 10th. I am pretty sure the CA HC knows how to run a program and win a state chip. I get many of the kids coming into CA have been rec stars and starters from 5th grade on but so have the kids ahead of them.. parents are just unrealistic and impatient somtimes.. Even if their 9th grader is slightly better than the 12th grader ahead of them a coach has to give the 12th grader his due ..just my humble opinion

Last edited:
Politics as in being loyal to the kids who have been in the program giving them their shot before handing it over to a 9th or 10th grader? dues have to be paid and it would take an exceptional player to crack the line up at a good program as a 9th or 10th. I am pretty sure the CA HC knows how to run a program and win a state chip and run a program..
Yeah I would agree I think CA runs a good program, I mean just look at their previous records and trophies. But I was referring to more programs across the state that I constantly hear have kids/coaches fighting, coaches/parents fighting and so forth. Not always the coaches fault but seems to be a lot of drama in the state outside of the lines.

Yeah I would agree I think CA runs a good program, I mean just look at their previous records and trophies. But I was referring to more programs across the state that I constantly hear have kids/coaches fighting, coaches/parents fighting and so forth. Not always the coaches fault but seems to be a lot of drama in the state outside of the lines.

Not just DE the whole east coast maybe the whole country.. I was involved in baseball all my life.. Playing, coaching, umpiring etc.. I checked out 5 years ago because of the drama.. I am just getting around to getting interested again but maybe I shouldn't

Reactions: ball4lyfe69
Caravel would be a state championship but too much politics there for them to be good. There is some young talent on that team that the coaching staff won't acknowledge.
Also Caravel started two eighth graders last season not sure how you mean they don't start young talent one started the state championship game !

Does any one know if that guy that posts all the baseball team previews and predictions is still on the forum

Obliviously politics happen in every sport. If people think Caravel is politics are completely wrong. One of the best programs around. My son played travel ball with Paul and Rob and those guys know baseball. No politics involved with them at all play the best kids that they have doesn't matter who you are.

Saw the Polytech and Dover scrimmage today. I know Dover lost a lot of starters but they should be solid again this year. Polytech looked really good. Impressed with the pitching Polytech had. Cape has the edge but Poly Cape is going to be interesting.

Message me and I'll give you the Reader's Digest version of the scrimmage.

Not just DE the whole east coast maybe the whole country.. I was involved in baseball all my life.. Playing, coaching, umpiring etc.. I checked out 5 years ago because of the drama.. I am just getting around to getting interested again but maybe I shouldn't

Don't let the nonsense deprive you of the joy of baseball. Come back to the game and tune out the trolls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT