ADVERTISEMENT

D-1 Thoughts for next weekend?

youjustme

All-Conference
Sep 10, 2008
I'll start..While Smyrna's Defense was only really exposed in the Sallies game, their slip has been showing all season. Pass defense and penalty reduction should dominate practice this week. Offense needs to either casually review and refresh, or even more boldly, start working on some defensive assignments as well. Going one way is most effective if a high tempo is maintained to tire out opponents. Oh, maybe best strategy might be to speed up pace of play.... and share some defensive assignments! I know that probably won't happen because you usually dance with who you "brung"...or stick with what brought you there, or shake what yo momma gave you, or whatever the saying is. It might come down to principle vs championship.... hope not.

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Whats been proven tonight is there is huge gap between Sals, Penn, MT and Smyrna and then the rest. The difference between Smyrna and the others is defense.. Smyrna only played Sals and was touched up for 70 plus. .. The Eagles may be in trouble next round with their studs only playing O and not both ways..

That said Smyrna is going to score 40 plus so the team that beats them has to score 40 plus plus

Last edited:
Reactions: DEFENSEREST
Agree with RR.

My early prediction is Smyrna is in the fast lane for a December 1st game, Penns offense has struggled scoring this season, that said, they still can put up points, its just not as flashy as last years. Mount had a subpar defense and I would like to see what that offense does or doesn't do against a defense like Penn.

As far as the Sals - Mt rematch, I'll leave a prediction out. But I don't see it being 20-7 again. Something like 24-21 or 28-21. Cavs defense is probably the best in the state and can keep them in ANY game. Their problem, like we all don't already know is penalties and turnovers. I felt like they cleaned up the penalties tonight, two or three turnovers tonight though and that has to get cleaned up because although Tech didn't capitalize on them, sallies will.

Well I was at the Smyrna game tonight and if they play like they did tonight they are in for a long day with Penn sorry but if Penn's defense can slow down Smyrna's offense Penn will win . Penn is going to dominate the line of scrimmage and run the ball right down the field all day . Smyrna played very sloppy tonight

Reactions: fanoffootball123
I don't know if people remember but St. Mark's had a pretty good passing game last year. Penn played man, pressed at the line, and those St. Mark's receivers could not get off the ball. I think that Penn will implement the same strategy this year and pound the rock on O. I have not seen either team play this year but Penn seems to never be lacking athletes on the outside. Should a good match up. Strength on strength.

If you want to beat Smyrna; do two things. Play 5 defensive backs and jam those receivers at the line. Holding up the pass sequence for even a few seconds disrupts the play and more importantly, it gets the QB running for time. Throws on the run can be off and frequently intercepted. Local H.S coaches seem afraid to do this. Penn won't.

Sallies will beat MT but I do expect a close game. Reeder is the x-factor. Kid hasn't been stopped all year.

Before last night I really thought Smyrna could beat Penn but after last night I'm not so sure. The Henlopen North was exposed last night as being really down. The Smyrna defense was just ok last night. Poor tackling and too much blitzing were the main issues. Smyrna theory is to outscore people . That might backfire on them next week.

Hard to jam slot receivers and when they go trips or quads it gets even tougher. William Penn has the speed to match up. Not taking anything away from Smyrna but most of their wins this year were against overmatched opponents. Look at what happened to ST last night.

Reactions: Jawnsky
Hard to jam slot receivers and when they go trips or quads it gets even tougher. William Penn has the speed to match up. Not taking anything away from Smyrna but most of their wins this year were against overmatched opponents. Look at what happened to ST last night.

Definitely don't want to man up vs trips.. You will get picked all day.. Have to do an umbrella zone and take the man that comes to you..but you also have to rally on the screens/slants and make the tackle.. Your best athletes have to defend the alley's

fof123...you said "Smyrna but most of their wins this year were against overmatched opponents." I don't know what this means since Smyrna was doing the "overmatching". I prefer to think that a) Smyrna wins when not playing their best, b) SOMEBODY on rhe team will decide to stop crapping on their teammates with penalties, and c) Smyrna is due for a great game or two...maybe they can put a couple in a row together. I'm not ready to sell the farm yet and I caution overreaction to one game. Poor tackling, poor pass defense, and PENALTIES are Smyrna's real opponents.

Last edited:
It means they beat up the stinky Henlopen north conference. After watching them against a decent Mount team last night I'm not so sure they're as good as I and many thought. The offense is great. That's it.

Yeah maybe I am overreacting but they won't win another game if they play like they did last night.

Went to the Smyrna game last night and was just what everyone expected. Explosive offense out of Smyrna and a shakey D. Didn't think Mount's offense would put up 32 on them. Penn will be a difficult task for Smyrna but like it was said on here Penn has to put up over 40 to beat them.

First try tackling in space...3-4 cover 4 is a good start.

Mm mm.
Nutting Iz a like better den a goooood spread eagle Smirna-off style!

Good input by all.......great discussion....
Smyrna @ WP is a game that I need to look at very closely still and is the matchup I wanted to see. At this point I am leaning towards WP and if that happens it will set the stage for what the Colonials want....a 2nd chance at the Sals on 12/5! More on the WP/Smyrna prediction later.

.....speaking of the Sals......M-Town fans are not gonna like this but my preseason #1 pick to win it all will start their title bid with a nice win over the Cavs and the "Cowbell Crew"
Sals have not allowed more than 14 pts since the greatest show on turf came to town way back in late September. Since then the Sals offense has cranked it up on everyone with 1 exception (FJ).
....Baynard can be a house of horrors for visiting opponents and the Sals are 18-3 at home in the past 4 years there and all 3 of those losses came last season vs 3 damn good teams.
...The Sals have now beat the Cavs 4 in a row dating back to the title loss to MT and on average have outscored them 25-11 and next week will be no different. Sals by 14 OR More! This does not mean it will not be a good game that may appear to be in question at times, and if MT implodes it could get ugly! But the only way Sals lose is if a certain RB misses the bus.

At least some people on here are finally getting to see what I have been talking about for the past few weeks about Smyrna. They are definitely a good team not taking anything away from that but they played nobody all year besides Sallies in a weak Henlopen Division they havent been tested week after week from good teams. Their big test will be next Saturday and we will see how they play after playing a decent Mount team and have to again play a good Penn team who is stronger and faster than Mount. So see not so much hype on Smyrna now after being a bit exposed last night . Should make for a great game at Bill Cole Stadium.

At least some people on here are finally getting to see what I have been talking about for the past few weeks about Smyrna. They are definitely a good team not taking anything away from that but they played nobody all year besides Sallies in a weak Henlopen Division they havent been tested week after week from good teams. Their big test will be next Saturday and we will see how they play after playing a decent Mount team and have to again play a good Penn team who is stronger and faster than Mount. So see not so much hype on Smyrna now after being a bit exposed last night . Should make for a great game at Bill Cole Stadium.
To beat Smyrna you need to stop Knight he is very good.

To beat Smyrna you need to stop Knight he is very good.

You have to be able to do that without allocating extra men in the box to do it.. otherwise they will pick you apart through the air... WP should be able to do what MP did hitting some big plays over the top if DJ is on target..plus Penn has a better rushing game then MP.. Penn is going to be difficult to stop for Smyrna... I expect a high scoring affair

I love this match-up and can't wait to see the game

Last edited:
You have to be able to do that without allocating extra men in the box to do it.. otherwise they will pick you apart through the air... WP should be able to do what MP did hitting some big play over the top if DJ is on target..plus Penn has a better rushing game then MP.. Penn is going to be difficult to stop for Smyrna... I expect a high scoring affair

I love this match-up and can't wait to see the game
Should be a good one.

Good input by all.......great discussion....
Smyrna @ WP is a game that I need to look at very closely still and is the matchup I wanted to see. At this point I am leaning towards WP and if that happens it will set the stage for what the Colonials want....a 2nd chance at the Sals on 12/5! More on the WP/Smyrna prediction later.

.....speaking of the Sals......M-Town fans are not gonna like this but my preseason #1 pick to win it all will start their title bid with a nice win over the Cavs and the "Cowbell Crew"
Sals have not allowed more than 14 pts since the greatest show on turf came to town way back in late September. Since then the Sals offense has cranked it up on everyone with 1 exception (FJ).
....Baynard can be a house of horrors for visiting opponents and the Sals are 18-3 at home in the past 4 years there and all 3 of those losses came last season vs 3 damn good teams.
...The Sals have now beat the Cavs 4 in a row dating back to the title loss to MT and on average have outscored them 25-11 and next week will be no different. Sals by 14 OR More! This does not mean it will not be a good game that may appear to be in question at times, and if MT implodes it could get ugly! But the only way Sals lose is if a certain RB misses the bus.

Jawnsky, MDT D basically held the Sals to 7 points. Cavs had like 6 turnovers giving the Slowskys the ball on their 6 and on their 21. Neither O did much in the game.
Cavs were the best D Sals faced all year. The Slowskys will need a perfect night to win.
Home field advantage at Baynard?? The clones have played much better on the road in state over last 3 games. Dover and MDT held their offense in check at

I look for the Cavs to win! ...and maybe win big!

Jawnsky, MDT D basically held the Sals to 7 points. Cavs had like 6 turnovers giving the Slowskys the ball on their 6 and on their 21. Neither O did much in the game.
Cavs were the best D Sals faced all year. The Slowskys will need a perfect night to win.
Home field advantage at Baynard?? The clones have played much better on the road in state over last 3 games. Dover and MDT held their offense in check at

Interesting for sure. There was this guy that always picked them to lose when they had to get on a bus.

Got me on that one, Eagle. But the Slowskys are like 2-5 the last 7 games where they have had to travel more than 1 hour. Maybe it is the Broom Street version of jet lag.

Is there a better defense than MDT in Delaware?

Smyrna laid 56 on Sallies. WP hasn't seen an offense like that before, I think Smyrna will win going away

Penn will score on Smyrna almost at will like Sallies did.. the difference is Penn cannot turn the ball over and make mistakes.. Sals won by virtue of being plus 4 on the turnover margin and all 4 resulted in TD's... If Penn turns it over Smyrna will smoke them.. if not it will be who has the ball last wins.. IMO ..another key will be scoring just before half and getting the ball first in the 2nd creating a 2 score lead

Last edited:

I was thinking to self....."Self, who will Bummy Pick to win this matchup?" LOL
And its poss btw that FJ was best D Sals faced....

Got me on that one, Eagle. But the Slowskys are like 2-5 the last 7 games where they have had to travel more than 1 hour. Maybe it is the Broom Street version of jet lag.

Is there a better defense than MDT in Delaware?
Oh I wasn't implying it was you however he did look like you. Middletown defense is great, just read all the comments here. Think Sallies plays defense? Did penn score a bunch on them? Middletown? Oh the turnovers-forgot

I was thinking to self....."Self, who will Bummy Pick to win this matchup?" LOL
And its poss btw that FJ was best D Sals faced....

Bummy said MDT was best D that the Slowskys faced in DE.
BTW, Ravens latest piece of analysis was great. Maybe he has hired a ghostwriter.

Reactions: eagle control
Just a reminder you dont think Penn has a chip on their shoulder? If memory serves me correct and I was at the scrimmage when Smyrna beat a half and half Penn team when half the starters didnt even make the trip to Smyrna and you might have thought they won the state title . Just saying don't think Penn isnt treating this as revenge . My.opinion I think Smyrna's fairy tale season ends next week on Basin Rd. I think Penn will take the high power offense of Smyrna and if they do Penn wins, just saying.

Reactions: eagle control
Just a reminder you dont think Penn has a chip on their shoulder? If memory serves me correct and I was at the scrimmage when Smyrna beat a half and half Penn team when half the starters didnt even make the trip to Smyrna and you might have thought they won the state title . Just saying don't think Penn isnt treating this as revenge . My.opinion I think Smyrna's fairy tale season ends next week on Basin Rd. I think Penn will take the high power offense of Smyrna and if they do Penn wins, just saying.

Well they better deploy a better defensive scheme than they did or it wont matter how many kids played or didnt... Smryna will score 40 plus.. WP needs 50 to win this game.. IMO

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
You guys are still talking about that scrimmage. Next year I'm going to have to make it to a few more scrimmages.

Smyrna won't get out of the 30's next weekend .

You guys are still talking about that scrimmage. Next year I'm going to have to make it to a few more scrimmages.

Smyrna won't get out of the 30's next weekend .

Why because Penns' D is so much better than Sallies? I'll take that bet..Penn doesn't have any idea how to stop that O no more than Sallies or any other team in DE has.. This isn't about players but about coaching and scheming.. Go ahead WP trot out your 5-3 and 4-4 lets see what happens LOL

fyi its not like Penn is the epitome of disciplined and mistake free football... They very well could be the team the calls go against and they turn it over.. of course the faithfull will be on here claiming the refs were biased haters and what not.. lol

Last edited:
Penn will win. Psych will get to the Eagles. Dooley will have this hi power thing figured out. Big team-Solid coach and close game- both

Penn will win. Psych will get to the Eagles. Dooley will have this hi power thing figured out. Big team-Solid coach and close game- both

Dooley is going to employ the same D he has all year jlust like all the stubborn old school coaches do.. The mindset were bigger and more physical will win.. Trust me Smyrna drops 45 on them.. whether they top that is to be seen.. FYI there is nothing special about WP's D .. they are undisciplined.. Sallies ran basically two plays and put 30 on them.. You really think they have the discipline to defend Smyrna's O? I dont think so

Last edited:
Dooley is going to employ the same D he has all year jlust like all the stubborn old school coaches do.. The mindset were bigger and more physical will win.. Trust me Smyrna drops 45 on them.. whether they top that is to be seen.. FYI there is nothing special about WP's D .. they are undisciplined.. Sallies ran basically two plays and put 30 on them.. You really think they have the discipline to defend Smyrna's O? I dont think so
You are discounting the "bus ride" rooster. I have an insider that tells me a long bus ride kills the bus riding team each and every time

Penn will be ready they are very well coached. If Penn can win time of possession and come up with some long offensive drives it could make for a long day for Smyrna .

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
No one mentions the scrimmage between Smyrna and WP except the poster who keeps harping about how little it mattered. It's really getting comical how the irrelevant scrimmage has stuck in the craw of someone who just shared that they were there. Now the anti-Smyrna vitriol all season makes a bit more sense.

Last edited:
Scrimmages don't matter. It's basically a practice.

If I was a William Penn guy I might be sick of hearing about Smyrna too. Penn is the champ ( for now ) and Smyrna is the challenger. The champion doesn't like to be threatened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT