ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day men..and women FNL Scores Week 2

Headed to OVERTIME here at Newark HS. Concord and Newark tied at 3-3 as Newark’s Zach Coffing was short on 52-yard FG on final play

Newark wins it 9-3 over Concord in thrilling fashion in OT as ‘Jackets QB Joseph Hodges takes it up the middle 10 yards for TD on final play of the night.

St. Mary's County, actually. I lived and worked in St. Mary's County from 2007-2011.

...I don't like to talk about it. Lol.
No numbnuts St Mary's HS is in Annapolis not in St Mary's County which is where the Potomac meets Chesapeake Bay.. St Mary's College is there though and many of my older HS friends went there,, bonfire parties at St Mary's were legendary especially for a HS kid like me just saying of course

Last edited:
302 tried to get Dover/Woodbridge. But we're unable too. They were told they cant cover the game for some reason. They mentioned it on the 302 weekly show on Wednesday night.
When we were finalizing our schedule and securing dates Dover was in the midst of their AD search. So there was no AD at the time to approve our broadcast. Just bad timing.

Wow. Looks like their offense is for real.

Woodbridge had a chance for a knock out punch leading 21-7,could have been 28-7 after half time. Yes, Peace and Magee are their offense, but they have no passing game. Dover just wore Woodbridge out, Dover was just bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball.

Was impressed with both RB's for Dover and Woodbridge. The key for Dover is their defense! If they can hold other teams in the 14-21 points range they will do fine. I can see them beating Smyrna, but I think Middletown's offense is too balanced if they ever meet.

Bummy just rolled in from Baynard. My son in law is a slow driver.

Before I go on a rant of how strange the ST-SAL game was let me say that this is the youngest Salesianum team I can remember. I believe that they have 7 sophomore starters. (They look like they are finally playing 2 platoon...like 2 guys play both ways.)

I thought I was going to see a 2-0 game until #21 went off tackle for 91 yards with 2:19 left in the game. ST was bigger, stronger and faster. I swear the clones might end up 2-8. If DiNardo goes 5-5 with this bunch he should immediately go to the HOF.

This game was ungodly. The officials should have put on the running clock just as an act of kindness to the fans.

I think channel 6 was there to get the game highlights (ain't that funny) and they left before the #21 run.

In closing, both teams were playing with there second string QB's. The best pass of the night was thrown by the ST punter on a fake punt.

Father Judge will leave the clones in the dust next week.

Good bye.

Sussex Tech really missed Kane last night, if he was healthy, they probably win that game 21-7 or somewhere thereabouts. That said, I was really impressed with Sals' defense and Yelbert has the potential to be the next Kyle Cathers (who is assisting while red-shirting at UD this year) - big quick kid who has a knack for TFL.

Reactions: Chill44 and Chesdel
Sussex Tech really missed Kane last night, if he was healthy, they probably win that game 21-7 or somewhere thereabouts. That said, I was really impressed with Sals' defense and Yelbert has the potential to be the next Kyle Cathers (who is assisting while red-shirting at UD this year) - big quick kid who has a knack for TFL.

Gate, it would have been a different game. I am pretty sure the Big S is also playing with a back-up QB. Though the difference in talent may not be comparable.

Bummy is correct on the youth of the Sals' squad. The DE you are talking about is one of the 10th graders. It will be fun watching these guys develop over the next couple of seasons.

I don't recall a DE HS FB game where I saw so many punts....and one was for 5 yards.

...on a side note, I am glad I got there early and saw Sussex Tech's band...
They opened with Get Ready by the Temptations. What a show!

Reactions: Chill44
FRIDAY

• McKean 12, Glasgow 6, F (OT)
  • Suitland (Md.) 55, Cape Henlopen 13 F
  • Lake Forest 43, Tatnall 7 F
  • Polytech 42, Indian River 13 F
  • Delmar 35, St. Marys (Md.) 23 F
  • Mt. Pleasant 37, Dickinson 12 F
  • Newark 9, Concord 3 F(OT)
  • Middletown 42, William Penn 7 F
  • Franklin (Md.) 28, Smyrna 14 F
  • Dover 35, Woodbridge 21 F
  • Appoquinimink 35, Delcastle 0 F
  • Salesianum 9, Sussex Tech 0 F
  • Sussex Central 31, Queen Anne's (Md.) 3 F
  • St. Marks 49, Caravel 7 F
  • First State Military Academy 21, Seaford 14, F
  • Red Lion 18, St. Andrew's 13 F
  • Tower Hill, Perkiomen (Pa.), forfeit win for Tower Hill, F

Gate, it would have been a different game. I am pretty sure the Big S is also playing with a back-up QB. Though the difference in talent may not be comparable.

Bummy is correct on the youth of the Sals' squad. The DE you are talking about is one of the 10th graders. It will be fun watching these guys develop over the next couple of seasons.

I don't recall a DE HS FB game where I saw so many punts....and one was for 5 yards.

I wasn't at that game but I bet the Sals were looking at 8 or more in the box all game long. DiNardo probably obliged them by running 95% of the time. Tech can get some consolation in that the final was the closest they have come in three years.

...on a side note, I am glad I got there early and saw Sussex Tech's band...
They opened with Get Ready by the Temptations. What a show!

I'm a Delaware State alum and I swear their band director HAS to have some HBCU roots because they were jammin ALL night long. I missed most of their opening show because of course Baynard's crappy parking lot and one entrance only policy.

I wasn't at that game but I bet the Sals were looking at 8 or more in the box all game long. DiNardo probably obliged them by running 95% of the time. Tech can get some consolation in that the final was the closest they have come in three years.

You are correct Dove, I think Sals threw and completely one pass all night long. Tech didn't fare much better though, so it definitely won't be a game tape preserved for historical significance.

I wasn't at the game so I didn't get to see the hit but excessive contact to a defenseless receiver is a foul.

It wasnt that.. receiver went up with a chance to catch the ball defender hit him around the waist head up.. just looked hard because the wr toppled

you really think I dont know the defenseless receiver rule lol cmon man

Reactions: 8484ron
It wasnt that.. receiver went up with a chance to catch the ball defender hit him around the waist head up.. just looked hard because the wr toppled

I was there and a Middletown' guy. I didn't see anything illegal about. He was up in the air and the defender hit him in the legs. I'm not sure how you defend it otherwise. It's dangerous but you see it at all levels. Kid made a great catch and held on. Middletown was going to score penalty or not. No bearing on the outcome whatsoever.

RR

So tell us the definition of defenseless receiver in HS football?

You tell me? No one knows. Should the defender just stop and let the receiver jump up to catch the ball and wait to see if he does and get his feet before making a tackle? Not sure the defenseless receiver rule is even on the NFHS rule book. The receiver stopped turned and jumped and the defender made a tackle on time I guess defenseless needs more definition If you think about it all offensive players are defenseless sans the protection of the o line. Receivers are defenseless by nature of the position

ART. 16 . . . A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury. A player who initiates contact against a defenseless player is responsible for making legal contact. When in question, a player is defenseless.

Examples of defenseless players include, but are not limited to:

a. A passer;

b. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner;

You tell me? No one knows. Should the defender just stop and let the receiver jump up to catch the ball and wait to see if he does and get his feet before making a tackle? Not sure the defenseless receiver rule is even on the NFHS rule book. The receiver stopped turned and jumped and the defender made a tackle on time I guess defenseless needs more definition If you think about it all offensive players are defenseless sans the protection of the o line. Receivers are defenseless by nature of the position

That’s crazy FSG So essentially any hit on a receiver who has not caught the ball and has not made a step to advance it is a penalty? F it just put flags on the kids let’s play 7 on 7. No need to pay lineman or have them anymore

So what you posted the way to play DB is cover and try and defend the pass and try and make a play on the ball but if you can’t get to the ball sit back and let them catch it then attempt to tackle them

Well I guess that’s it.

Last edited:
[So you didn't know the rule - you only thought you did :(QUOTE="ravensrooster2, post: 135341, member: 978"]That’s crazy FSG So essentially any hit on a receiver who has not caught the ball and has not made a step to advance it is a penalty? F it just put flags on the kids let’s play 7 on 7. No need to pay lineman or have them anymore

So what you posted the way to play DB is cover and try and defend the pass but if not sit back and let them catch it then attempt to tackle them

Well I guess that’s it.[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT