ADVERTISEMENT

Girls High School Basketball Pre- Pre- Season for 2016-2017

Helluva 2nd half rally for Conrad to win that game at the buzzer. Archmere should've won that game, but credit to Conrad for coming back.

Saw Howard-Hodgson tonight and that game had as many ups and downs as you'd expect between these two, but the guards won it for Hodgson. JPJ and KBY were outstanding in the third quarter that swung the momentum in Hodgson's favor. Howard rallied, but they couldn't tie in the final seconds. Howard's guards are still getting experience and it showed. The Blatch-Huggins sisters and Rouse spent much of the night in foul trouble too, so that didn't help, but Howard's going to be a tough out come tournament time, as will Hodgson.

Reactions: 84rider
I got a chance to check the game with Caravel and concord. I was really surprised as to how Concord fell apart from the beginning of the game. Caravel did nothing spectacular to win the game and yet concord was blown out of the gym at home. A couple of there players was visibly out of sorts during the game. and I had predicted them to make a nice run. not win it but make a nice run.. I was really not happy with the way that game turned out..

I also wanted to ask a serious question. how is Padua not getting some of the better talent than in past years? I hear some say its testing. I hear some say its coaching. I hear some say its because there not doing a better job of obtaining some of the better minority players to there school. I sat and watched and realized there not a bad school and they have a great education system. I seen ursuline destroy them in the first quarter. what has turned parents and kids off from that school? yet ursuline keeps reloading. and they have almost the same basketball pedigree.. just curious of what you guys think?

It's definitely a little bit of administration prioritizing what sports they support and recruiting. Padua excels in the other major girls sports (volleyball, field hockey, girls track) so it seems to be just basketball. Also, wouldn't stay it's the lack of minority players, Ursuline has some, but the big name players there are mostly non-minority.

IMHO, the major factor is that the coach is plug into to a good AAU program or have players who play on a decent AAU team. On most top teams in Delaware I can name 2 to 4 players on each team and what AAU programs they play for. I not downing any school but St. Marks from personal experience is not looking to bring in players that are even qualified and financially able, I guess like Pauda it's just not their thing.

School like Ursuline, St Elizabeth's and Caveral do take it serious just look at there roster the have players from all over MD, PA and southern Delaware.

im not surprised. Conrad surprised so many people last year. this year it will not be surprise..you lock the sisters up and you'll have a chance to win the game. the big girl doesn't have any post moves to draw double teams to open the shooters up. she is the key. the sisters are going to do what they do but the big girl has to improve for them to take the next step.. and unfortunately there are not too many girls that have back to the basket post moves to draw double teams. but they are young and have a chance to make some nice runs for the next couple of years..

I really tried to find another team that will challenge ursuline this year. I really thought wit the talent they had this year that it would of been St. Elizabeth. and the way ursuline running over everybody and how st. e's has not put it together yet. im not any team will pose a threat to them..

I still need to see Caravel, Sanford and CR before I pass my final judgement, but it really does look like Secretariat in '73 this year and it's not even that Ursuline is overpowering, they're just the smartest, most efficient team in the state.

gatekeeperrefuge- I agree.. I really thought that st. e has the most talent and the most balance. but they are not working together to get the wins they should.. if they can get together for the playoffs maybe.. Sanford has the best inside presence but there not deep enough. caravel could be, but there not tough enough. and if there point guard gets into foul trouble they struggle. there no other teams that will compete against ursuline.. but do you assessment..

yeah I was at the game. they picked them apart. I really wasn't impressed with that pa team. maybe they will fair better vs a more challenging team. Ursuline kind of ran away with the game in the second quarter

Coaching, Coaching, Coaching...That the biggest difference maker in DE. If you have a stud player and average supporting cast you will do extremely well in the state. But if you add a good coach to that mix its over. Right now there are three coaches in the state that proved to me they can coach, Noonan (he also has the horses), Thompson (again has the horses), and Kulesza (young team that follows his lead).

If I'm a parent to a young girl who is good at basketball and live up north those are the three schools I'm looking at to send them. If I live in Dover area its CR. Sussex area its Sussex Central. All quality coaches. I have seen it far to long some of these schools have good talent but can't coach out of a paper bag and make adjustments.

Coaching, Coaching, Coaching...That the biggest difference maker in DE. If you have a stud player and average supporting cast you will do extremely well in the state. But if you add a good coach to that mix its over. I have seen it far to long some of these schools have good talent but can't coach out of a paper bag and make adjustments.

Why is this so hard to comprehend by so many AD's and administrators? It not only in Delaware it's at the Middle School and HS level everywhere. People get upset when I tell them that there's only four or five teams playing for a state championship each year. Everyone else is playing for pride, local bragging rights that's it!

Last edited:
To me there are several issues: Again this is just my thoughts. Some parents are rebels. And sometimes I can get with this theory. Some parents are like you know what. If you’re the best. I want to play against you guys. As a kid playing a sport. I was the same way. I want to challenge myself to play against you. and if I do well against you, that what does that say about me? They have made that distinction with their kids. And they are under the assumption of thinking that if I’m good I can be found by a good institution after high school. And that philosophy will work. if you go to a school that has a good coach that just doesn’t have the horses at that moment and your child changes that program around. Example mount pleasant at this moment. Now the bad of this theory. You went to a school that has a bad coach. Or the good coach left leaving a bad coach to take over. Now as a player you have to fight coaching and the other teams in order to make a name for yourself. And I won’t name any coaches for this example. Because there are so many on both girls and the boys side. The other is that some of coaches that doesn’t do a good job of promoting these kids for the next level, or any level to get into school. And there are some good coaches that don’t do that either. That’s why AAU has so much of a difference because they can see play in a good system with better talent playing a against better talent. And the evaluation is a little cleaner and cut throat as to who is the better player. Now here is the tricky part. Some of these great schools just have good horses that make the coach look good. My advice. Do your homework on the coaches. And talk to past players. And see where or if they’re going to college after high school. And what schools are they going to. Majority of the times the parents are doing all the work. the school gets the credit of that kid going to that school. There are some good coaches in lower level schools that just can’t get the talent. and will do right by your child because they care about the kid's success more then than there wins and loses at times. and this is the same issue with some of the AAU programs.And there are some, ok, coaches in high school and AAU that continue to get good talent that continue to have success based on the talent they get. Those players make the coach look really good. I would love to see some of the so called top coaches coach with substandard facilities and low amenities to have the success they are having now. lets see how they coach then. you'll then see who can coach on the fly and push there kids to the limit of wins.

Underground good coaches that will never get talent to match:
The tower hill's boys team coach
Wilmington charter's girls coach
Glasgow's boys coach
A.I. Girls coach
these are the only ones I can think of at the moment

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmonj4618
Add Lake Forest girls coach Trenita Shields to that list, she does more with less just doesn't have the horses.

Last edited:
Add Lake Forest girls coach Trenita Shields to that list, she does more with less just don't have the horses.

If Tre had the resources, she'd definitely be someone everybody knows. That's my buddy from when I was a student at DSU covering the women's basketball team for the school paper, so I'm always glad to see her prospering.

It's definitely a little bit of administration prioritizing what sports they support and recruiting. Padua excels in the other major girls sports (volleyball, field hockey, girls track) so it seems to be just basketball. Also, wouldn't stay it's the lack of minority players, Ursuline has some, but the big name players there are mostly non-minority.

IMHO, the major factor is that the coach is plug into to a good AAU program or have players who play on a decent AAU team. On most top teams in Delaware I can name 2 to 4 players on each team and what AAU programs they play for. I not downing any school but St. Marks from personal experience is not looking to bring in players that are even qualified and financially able, I guess like Pauda it's just not their thing.

School like Ursuline, St Elizabeth's and Caveral do take it serious just look at there roster the have players from all over MD, PA and southern Delaware.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT