ADVERTISEMENT

Head coaching openings.

Filmore00

Tackles too high
Jan 13, 2017
Hearing Sallies head coaching job will be open. Any others? I figured we have lots of possible coaching candidates on this board that will apply. Good luck fellas

They may want to take a look at the current JV coach.

He had those kids grooving.
He was out of control the two times I saw him. Broke a clipboard after a call. The kids scrambled to pick up the stuff off the court. Actually put himself in "timeout" at the end of the bench for 5 minutes... No way

Except for the Dante and O'Neill years, hasn't Sallys always been pretty much irrelevant in basketball?

Reactions: Dropping 3's
I think irrelevant might be a little overstated. They made a few Final Fours and title games before Donte/Brian came along. I think it was a surprise to casual observers when they did go back to back that those were the first two titles in school history considering they've won at literally everything else.

I think irrelevant might be a little overstated. They made a few Final Fours and title games before Donte/Brian came along. I think it was a surprise to casual observers when they did go back to back that those were the first two titles in school history considering they've won at literally everything else.
Yes, very successful in all sports, except basketball. The Dante/Brian years were an anomaly. Those two were so good, they won in spite of their head coach.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Irrelevant -- Stop the Salesianum hate and just look at Haley's record. Over the past 10 years, the best high school basketball program has been the Sanford recruiting factory (and I am in favor of families choosing what is seen as a better education for their children). After Sanford, Salesianum two titles lead the state. If you go back 20 years, you will capture the Middletown and William Penn teams. Dante and Brian O'Neil won, in part, because of their coach! Coaching involves showcasing your great players while teaching and motivating the non-All-State players to perform at a high level. Haley has done just that.
If the job really opens up, it will be a great destination -- athletes at all grade levels, great coaching peers, and the largest and best alumni network in DE.

Bummy is at a loss for words to describe the intense pattern or fraternity and loyalty among the Salesianum alumni. They even support their fellow alumni with whom they intensely disagree.

I will leave it at that.

Reactions: Chesdel
I'm still doing the research (thanks to my free week trial on NewspapersDotCom), but Sallies has the most state tournament appearances of anyone in the boys' tournament. Only Sanford I think has more wins, which is wild considering Sallies got about a 15-year head start.

Sallies has always been around and good in boys hoops, they just came up against some really good teams (Howard in '73, Wilmington in '83 immediately come to mind).

Reactions: Can_you_feel_me
Sallies always finds themselves somewhere between ranked 7 to 12 in the state. I think people are just used to Sallies being ranked top 3 in every sport that when they are ranked at the lower end of the top 10 they are described as not being good. In my 4 years (12 to 15 years ago) at Sallies they made the Final 4 twice and the championship once. They had players who were really good like Kyle Stem, Gene Delledonne, Rob Testa, etc. When they had Donte and Oneill, it was their best years but Sallies has always produced quality players and always make the tournament and have deep runs. It's just in years past they could never make it past the 8 or final four.

The Salesianum basketball position is officially open.

So who are candidates?

From the times (not many) I've seen him, I think they should think about Boyd from St Thomas More. Young guy, seems to know the game. Took St Thos More from nothing to 3 straight tourney appearances.

Others in the running?

So who are candidates?

From the times (not many) I've seen him, I think they should think about Boyd from St Thomas More. Young guy, seems to know the game. Took St Thos More from nothing to 3 straight tourney appearances.

Others in the running?
Won't be able to get his AAU team in as easily as he did at StTM...

I don't know if he'd leave St. E that quickly. Granted, he's already done something already that a few really good coaches over there weren't able to do previously (not much left to prove) but why not try to build something larger at St E? One trophy could lead to a couple more with the right players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT