ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what I would do if I could do it all over again with my kids!

Simmonj4618

Getting reps on JV
Nov 17, 2011
Delaware
First, thanks to delawaresportsjunkie, this was his post from earlier this week. I wished I had your knowledge when we started, your one of the few speaking the truth, you can save parents and players a lot of hassle and money. I just thought your post is so important it needed its own tread.

1. Ignore the hype men selling rankings, camps, & and any exposure nonsense until high school and focus on development.

2. Limit travel basketball to 5-6 tournaments in the summer especially for levels below high school.

3. Learn about recruiting rules & eligibility early, don't get caught up in the reclass, results now hype.

4. Take development slowly, look for improvement year to year, u want kids to peak and be at their best at the high school level because that's when colleges seriously recruit.

5. Always do what’s best for your kid, put them in good situation that benefit them and ignore the chatter.

An from my own experience and observations I would add:

6. Get with a good AAU program, if your looking to play in college and your AAU team is not playing in April or July NCAA certified tournaments then your playing for fun.
7. If your only playing in HS and AAU games and going to practices and you don't do any personal training or skill development your not being fully developed.
8. Take the cost of one weekend tournament hotel, travel, food etc and pay for a gym membership and start working on your game and get stronger.
9. Don't believe everything you hear talk to people that have been through the process and have first hand knowledge.
10. Have a backup plan that includes a future without playing sports.

My kids are still young enough to take advantage of the above advice, but I wish I could have known this 2 or 3 years ago. You don't know how many parents and players who are clueless and sorry for some it's too late.

Finally, I can't say this enough it not up to DIAA, HS or AAU coaches . . . .
Always do what’s best for your kid, put them in good situation that benefit them . . .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT