ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Hamrick ????

HoopCulture13

Water boy
Nov 23, 2014
Word on the Street Lamar Hamrick Not eligible second half of the season due to grades ??????? Is this true

Dnell, support your message. This is something I never like to hear happen with kids. Hopefully he fights through this and perhaps leaving Delaware and getting away from people in this environment may be necessary for him to become successful long term.

Dnell, support your message. This is something I never like to hear happen with kids. Hopefully he fights through this and perhaps leaving Delaware and getting away from people in this environment may be necessary for him to become successful long term.
Biggest problem with a "Geographic Change" is you take you with you. Nothing will change as long as those around him continue to profit off him.... After all its all about AAU, no? If you cant get into a college the corner looms larger.
If true, nice job SG coach. Lets hope the freshmen it happened to goes someplace that will help him grow up.

Biggest problem with a "Geographic Change" is you take you with you. Nothing will change as long as those around him continue to profit off him.... After all its all about AAU, no? If you cant get into a college the corner looms larger.
If true, nice job SG coach. Lets hope the freshmen it happened to goes someplace that will help him grow up.
a freshman ??

Reactions: Dropping 3's
I REALLY hope this isn't true. Hamrick was playing at a first team all state, arguably POY level. If so, I hope he, his family and those who truly have his best interest at heart get him somewhere where he can improve his grades and play competitively at a good college like I think he has the talent to do.

I was told from a good source Lamar was cleared eligible as of yesterday by the skin of his teeth... A class that he needs to graduate... His gpa is still under 2.0 though like a 1.75 we have to do better Delaware as parents, teachers, and coaches. It's a shame a kid with that much talent and academics is holding him back. He can't play on the next level with that Gpa. As coaches the books should come before basketball you shouldn't be losing any kids to academics if you have to run study halls before practice and check with these teachers weekly and holding these kids accountable. it's no excuse for a kid failing off. Coaching is more then just Xs & Os these are these kids future we are talking about!

I was told from a good source Lamar was cleared eligible as of yesterday by the skin of his teeth... A class that he needs to graduate... His gpa is still under 2.0 though like a 1.75 we have to do better Delaware as parents, teachers, and coaches. It's a shame a kid with that much talent and academics is holding him back. He can't play on the next level with that Gpa. As coaches the books should come before basketball you shouldn't be losing any kids to academics if you have to run study halls before practice and check with these teachers weekly and holding these kids accountable. it's no excuse for a kid failing off. Coaching is more then just Xs & Os these are these kids future we are talking about!

Great message but I have a question as a community.. Would a kid without his BBall talent get as much focus to push through?...My point is athletic talent shouldn't matter ALL kids should be pushed and held accountable to succeed academically as all kids are the future not just athletes just a thought

So is the kid being pushed thru the system because of his status? Sounds like he's being set up for failure.

From what I was told it was a assignment or test he was given a deadline to complete... But if he was my son he wouldn't be playing with that Gpa anyway! And if I was coaching it would 2.5 gpa minimum to play for me and as a coach u put in the ground work and St up the environment to help these kids meet that criteria.

From what I was told it was a assignment or test he was given a deadline to complete... But if he was my son he wouldn't be playing with that Gpa anyway! And if I was coaching it would 2.5 gpa minimum to play for me and as a coach u put in the ground work and St up the environment to help these kids meet that criteria.
The coach is a clown

I REALLY hope this isn't true. Hamrick was playing at a first team all state, arguably POY level. If so, I hope he, his family and those who truly have his best interest at heart get him somewhere where he can improve his grades and play competitively at a good college like I think he has the talent to do.
What college is going to take someone with his (alleged) 1.75 GPA?

Reactions: spartakos
Word is now Lamar is considered INELGIBLE! His trichinometry class let him make up work but his Spanish class he needed to graduate she decided he missed to many assignments to give him a chance to make up. It's a shame how this kid ended his high school career he missed the 1st half of the season last year smh.

He is in goods hands if he is indeed there. A former Delaware resident and ball player is the coach there. Lets go Lamar its now or never. The state is behind you

Dnell, what I don't get about this situation is if a kid is high risk academically and u know this yearly. With the technology we have with online grades that basically outline every class and assignment. if u have a high risk kid you are aware immediately if you checking whether they missed an assignment. In the time it takes to type this message I could run through an entire teams grades. Yeah people can say its the kid and parental responsibility but young people don't develop that adult brain until 25 and sometimes your voice maybe the voice of change. So basically if I know u slack with academics I'm going to get you the first time you miss an assignment, sit your ass on the bench or demand u attend monitored study hall. I'm only giving u 2 choices do your work or off my team. This idea of kids being barely eligible to play and letting them play gets my blood boiling because its selfish and doesn't benefit the kid long term. But i'm glad he's in a better place and wish him all the best.

Prep school now may be a good look for him if he can get on track. I wonder how much elgibility he will have there though. I'm pretty sure that Polytech's Juwan Gray is doing a postgrad year there now.

should be eligible to play immediately if they actually want him to play immediately, and all of next year, assuming he stays/returns

It's crazy how grown folks can down talk a kid. Everybody make mistakes. Lamar will be fine. Everybody is speculating and don't even know what is really going on inside the walls of St. Georges. I know what's going on because I'm in these walls. It's way more than what y'all think. I'm the one who helped this kid get to prep school and I got his back 100%.

@Tru_basketballfan Im not defending peoples actions BUT I will say this. These things come with the territory when your an athlete. At this point its not about defending the kid he made a mistake he suffered for it and now it time for him to turn it around. If you care for him like you say you do simply help guide him in the way he should go and ignore the chatter. When he turns it around the same people will "Love" him again.........

@ true_basketballfan, We like and support the kid, we don't support the adults around him. My problem is as long as people benefiting personally then accountability doesn't become an issue. I have not read anyone's comment who want kids to fail. The reality is, kids do what adults allow them to get away with. If a kid not putting in the work in the classroom they shouldn't get to play period. Kids should not be allowed to play with 1.75 or 2.0 either unless they have a learning disability. Mandatory study hall, daily grade monitoring should be the norm. If u say u got his back why was he allowed to proceed and be a part of sports barely making the grade? Why was his grades not monitored daily, it only takes 2 minutes? Tell us what u did to help prevent this from happening since u in the walls and got his back 100%. If this was 10 years ago when u could only see grades when report cards came out that's one thing but grades are updated daily and only a key stroke away. I check grades on my phone sometimes twice a day because I don't trust what kids tell me. All you need is parental permission and a password, if u work at the school u already have access all day

Last edited:
@ true_basketballfan, We like and support the kid, we don't support the adults around him. My problem is as long as people benefiting personally then accountability doesn't become an issue. I have not read anyone's comment who want kids to fail. The reality is, kids do what adults allow them to get away with. If a kid not putting in the work in the classroom they shouldn't get to play period. Kids should not be allowed to play with 1.75 or 2.0 either unless they have a learning disability. Mandatory study hall, daily grade monitoring should be the norm. If u say u got his back why was he allowed to proceed and be a part of sports barely making the grade? Why was his grades not monitored daily, it only takes 2 minutes? Tell us what u did to help prevent this from happening since u in the walls and got his back 100%. If this was 10 years ago when u could only see grades when report cards came out that's one thing but grades are updated daily and only a key stroke away. I check grades on my phone sometimes twice a day because I don't trust what kids tell me. All you need is parental permission and a password, if u work at the school u already have access all day

Your right, no excuses you can check grades daily. Plus why was there no weekly checks by coach if you know a player is academically struggling? Also, I don't know if he played fall sports but he had a full quarter to concentrate on get his GPA up. This is a failure stop trying to say otherwise! So Tru_BasketballFan why are the adults in the school like yourself not held accountable?

Hey let's let the kid move on sometimes it lies at the feet of the kid. We can go around and around in circles all day pointing fingers. It wont change a thing.I wanted to see how St G with Hamrick faired in the playoffs. In my opionion no one could stop him .There are a lot of success stories that didn't go the traditional route so let's wish him the best. It's unfortunate that this happened but maybe it was meant to be.We have beat the kid up pretty bad putting up his alleged GPA by adults is pretty sad comantary. Until this year 2.0 was Division 1 eligible correct me if I'm wrong. If he was just another kid it would be crickets!!. So let's wish him the best. And please JUNKIE STOP it with your harshness it doest help one bit. You say u r a mentor and coach please conduct yourself as such we all make mistakes. Each One Teach One.Im sure no one is hurting more than the kid himself.

Last edited:
Also @Tru_basketballfan Be careful not to actually become a fan. Because what happens is people who are supposed to be mentoring the kid turn into their peer and sadly instead of being an actually male adult figure they become excited about being their buddy just so they can tell everybody they know the kid so they themselves can feel cool..........I see a whole lot of that happening these days

First off @jvm3 @delawaresportsjunkie They do have study hall and they do check grades. It start at home first. He not my child but he is young black male that is growing up in this ****ed up society. Nobody is perfect. Delaware schools are full of shit. I'm not a fan at all. If you ask Lamar himself he will let you know out of his own mouth that I told him he failed off because of himself. He put his self in that situation. So before he can move on in life you have to accept responsibilities for your own actions. I'm not a coach and my job is not to check no ****ing grades. But I was not going to see this kid be used anymore. So I made a phone call and got him out of Delaware. Point blank period. If you got a problem with that oh well.

@dnell I'm not a child. I'm not a fan at all. Anybody on st Georges team and coaching staff will tell you that I keep it with all of them no matter what. I'm not going to sugar coat it. He was wrong for failing off and he need to make better decisions period. He needed to get away from his peers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT