ADVERTISEMENT

Pitch count

May 9, 2019
DE
New to this site, but not to following rules. Not sure if anyone has picked up on the fact that, even though STech beat Cape, Warrington throws 109 pitches in back to back starts. Heard the pitch count coach was on a trip out of country. Honest mistake or forfeit?

Last edited:
Glasgow coach didn't pull Adams when he went over against A.I. the other day either. A.I. coach told him and he left him in. Orsini hits a bomb to win the game anyway. Does a coach get penalized or does the Glasgow AD have to self report? Oh never mind, he's the basketball coach and AD who regularly cheats...

New to this site, but not to following rules. Not sure if anyone has picked up on the fact that, even though STech beat Cape, Warrington throws 109 pitches in back to back starts. Heard the pitch count coach was on a trip out of country. Honest mistake or forfeit?
A pitcher is allowed 205 pitches in a 7 day period. Warrington threw 218. He only had 96 pitches going into the game. So the last batter had to start on his 86th pitch, and had to be a 22 pitch at-bat.
That's appeal-able. Sussex Tech AD should self report. Cape could but shouldn't have to.

Reactions: CBE0713
Call the Tech AD and Tommie at DIAA. Once the AD is made aware, he has a duty to step up. Then Tommie will be up to speed too.
Nick Pegelow 302-854-2818 AD
Tommie Neubauer 1-302-857-3365 DIAA

A pitcher is allowed 205 pitches in a 7 day period. Warrington threw 218. He only had 96 pitches going into the game. So the last batter had to start on his 86th pitch, and had to be a 22 pitch at-bat.
That's appeal-able. Sussex Tech AD should self report. Cape could but shouldn't have to.
Could you elaborate? The websites4sports boxscore has him at 109 on 5/3 and 109 on 5/8. Seems pretty straightforward.

Reactions: 84rider
The DIAA Board of Directors has adopted the following pitch limits for both the regular season and state tournament play for High School. Pitches Thrown Rest Period 1-25 None (no days) 26-50 1 day 51-80 2 days 81-105 3 days  There is a one day limit of 105 pitches by the pitcher. However, the pitcher may finish the batter if the 105 pitch is reached during the at bat.  A maximum of 205 pitches may be thrown in a seven (7) period day.  There is a maximum of 85 pitches for the first six games of the season. All teams become eligible for the 105 pitch count after one team finished their sixth contest. This cannot occur before April 5, 2017.  Doubleheaders: A player is ineligible to pitch in the second game of the day if during the first game he/she throws 25-39 pitches in two consecutive innings and/or throws more than 40 pitches in any one inning. The pitcher starting the second game will be held to the 105 pitch limit. Any pitches thrown during the first game will be counted towards this 105 pitch limit for the day.

Could you elaborate? The websites4sports boxscore has him at 109 on 5/3 and 109 on 5/8. Seems pretty straightforward.
Total over two starts in 7 days 109+109=218.
Total allowed based on 1st start 205-109=96.
Total number of pitches over allowable 109-96=13.
Bad math, my bad. Had to have been an at-bat with a minimum of 14 pitches. If he began his last batter at 95 pitches.

Reactions: DEJUICE and 84rider
Not sure if ineligible player or illegal participation ......never clearly stated in pitch count rules

He was only ineligible to pitch so that makes it illegal participation or substitute ...same a reentering a player in different batting slot...he is eligible to participate just not in that role...up to other coach to call it to umpires or you get away with it

He was only ineligible to pitch so that makes it illegal participation or substitute ...same a reentering a player in different batting slot...he is eligible to participate just not in that role...up to other coach to call it to umpires or you get away with it
It is not the umpires responsibility to enforce pitch count rules. Coach have ignored the rule and lost the game. No harm, no foul. This one potential was a harm and foul. Not gonna make a difference in the conference championship, but could cause movement in the brackets.

Total over two starts in 7 days 109+109=218.
Total allowed based on 1st start 205-109=96.
Total number of pitches over allowable 109-96=13.
Bad math, my bad. Had to have been an at-bat with a minimum of 14 pitches. If he began his last batter at 95 pitches.
The rule doesn’t specifically say that the “finish the batter” part applies to the 7 day pitch limit. I assume that it doesn’t.

The rule doesn’t specifically say that the “finish the batter” part applies to the 7 day pitch limit. I assume that it doesn’t.
Warrington had 96 pitches. He would be allowed to finish the batter in similar fashion to a daily limit. Otherwise it would spell that out.

As it sits right now, the Cape coach and Sussex Tech people should be well aware of the issue( if it’s an issue). Now we see if anything comes from it.

Warrington had 96 pitches. He would be allowed to finish the batter in similar fashion to a daily limit. Otherwise it would spell that out.

As it sits right now, the Cape coach and Sussex Tech people should be well aware of the issue( if it’s an issue). Now we see if anything comes from it.
I guess we just disagree on the interpretation. The only mention of "finish the batter" in the entire rule is specifically for the one day limit.
"There is a one day limit of 105 pitches by the pitcher. However, the pitcher may finish the batter if the 105 pitch is reached during the at bat."

I guess we just disagree on the interpretation. The only mention of "finish the batter" in the entire rule is specifically for the one day limit.
"There is a one day limit of 105 pitches by the pitcher. However, the pitcher may finish the batter if the 105 pitch is reached during the at bat."
I get what your saying. I'm just going off the total allowable on the 2nd day, 96. You think it may be a drop dead 96? Maybe. Makes the violation and DQ that much more clear.

At the end of the day, what does the rule say the consequence is for going over the pitch count. If he was ineligible to pitch that day, yes he would be a ineligible player. But was was eligible to pitch, he just went over his pitch count. sound like something that should of been picked up during the game like in the past. Just as if a player bats out of order. I have see games in the past stopped by the opposing team because of pitch count. They notified the umpire and the pitcher was replaced. sometimes its by mistake and other times it may be done on purpose.

if nothing was brought to the attention of the umpire during the game, the umpire can't even invoke umpire discretion in their ruling. Umpires do not monitor pitch counts It is the responsibility of the opposing coaches to know the situation of who is available to pitch.

If you want this to be clear to everyone in the park then use a flip chart like in LL. Otherwise, have the coaches of each team come together at the end of each 1/2 inning and verify counts.

Clearly someone fell asleep on the job here and now looking for an excuse.

Reactions: soccer07
if nothing was brought to the attention of the umpire during the game, the umpire can't even invoke umpire discretion in their ruling. Umpires do not monitor pitch counts It is the responsibility of the opposing coaches to know the situation of who is available to pitch.

If you want this to be clear to everyone in the park then use a flip chart like in LL. Otherwise, have the coaches of each team come together at the end of each 1/2 inning and verify counts.

Clearly someone fell asleep on the job here and now looking for an excuse.
It's not even the coaches, its always some fan who probably wasn't even at the game.

I get what your saying. I'm just going off the total allowable on the 2nd day, 96. You think it may be a drop dead 96? Maybe. Makes the violation and DQ that much more clear.
In return, I do believe this makes Warrington ineligible for the game Tuesday for the Henlopen Conference Championship vs. Dover. Has not been verified, but sources have been leaked that the forfeit will not be called, instead a 1 game suspension for throwing an ineligible pitcher. Does tech stand a chance for the henlopen conference championship now against Dover on Tuesday? Dover has Velazquez lined up for the start, but if they don’t put up the run support it could be an interesting matchup. Heard there was a pitch count blunder last year during Dover vs Tech where STech parents kept the pitch count. Might explain this phenomenon of a mistake.

Regardless of the rule.. you all sound like a bunch of cry baby sore losers. The pitch count rule is soft. If you support something like that...go play soccer...thanks....
It’s not about winning or losing it’s about safety of the kids arm He’s a great player why abuse him Just for a high school win because dad’s like you can talk shit to each other

In return, I do believe this makes Warrington ineligible for the game Tuesday for the Henlopen Conference Championship vs. Dover. Has not been verified, but sources have been leaked that the forfeit will not be called, instead a 1 game suspension for throwing an ineligible pitcher. Does tech stand a chance for the henlopen conference championship now against Dover on Tuesday? Dover has Velazquez lined up for the start, but if they don’t put up the run support it could be an interesting matchup. Heard there was a pitch count blunder last year during Dover vs Tech where STech parents kept the pitch count. Might explain this phenomenon of a mistake.
A 1 game suspension for the coach or player? If the coach, Warrington should still be eligible to pitch. The Cape game was on Wednesday, the Dover game is Tuesday. According to the rule he would only be able to pitch. I personally wouldn't want my son throwing 300 pitches in a 10-15 day period.

Regardless of the rule.. you all sound like a bunch of cry baby sore losers. The pitch count rule is soft. If you support something like that...go play soccer...thanks....
Said someone who hasn’t seen high school players needing Tommy John surgery.... you and Wheeler from Brandywine should go to dinner together

“ pitch count rule is soft” What a clown. Nothing soft about keeping 14-17 year olds arm from throwing 205 pitches in a week. Welcome to 2019. Some people would like to watch their son play in college.

I am always amazed at how much debate comes out on this board about the topic of pitch counts.

I am always amazed at how much debate comes out on this board about the topic of pitch counts.
Seems like a lot amazes you Yaz. Been viewing your posts for quite some time now and all I see is nothing but favored nonsense. It’s remarkable how many opinions get posted on this site, but what would make this entertaining if we all agreed on the same topics. “ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?” I would love your input.

Ah yes, soccer07 wiping his face with my crying towel as he puts himself back together after throwing a temper tantrum and calling someone who thinks differently than him an “idiot”

How did kids survive before pitch counts?? How was college baseball even a thing?? And pro ball.. pro ball?!?! Little billy had to have 6 tommy John surgeries before he could drive..

“Some dads want to watch their sons play in college” is an all time statement. Maybe if those dads didn’t have poor little billy breaking off hammer time curve balls & sliders at the local little league to win a Wednesday afternoon athletics vs Indians 11-12 year old game.. all the poor little Billy’s who had Tommy John surgery in HS wouldn’t be as much of a factor..

These guys probably have their kids throwing weighted balls when they’re throwing in rubber spikes.. but big bad HS coach.. he’s the real idiot!

Spare me..stick to soccer..

Ah yes, soccer07 wiping his face with my crying towel as he puts himself back together after throwing a temper tantrum and calling someone who thinks differently than him an “idiot”

How did kids survive before pitch counts?? How was college baseball even a thing?? And pro ball.. pro ball?!?! Little billy had to have 6 tommy John surgeries before he could drive..

“Some dads want to watch their sons play in college” is an all time statement. Maybe if those dads didn’t have poor little billy breaking off hammer time curve balls & sliders at the local little league to win a Wednesday afternoon athletics vs Indians 11-12 year old game.. all the poor little Billy’s who had Tommy John surgery in HS wouldn’t be as much of a factor..

These guys probably have their kids throwing weighted balls when they’re throwing in rubber spikes.. but big bad HS coach.. he’s the real idiot!

Spare me..stick to soccer..

TJ is caused from curveballs?? Your obviously a hold school guy. You still wear your letterman jacket??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT