ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching Rules

Aug 18, 2011
It is my understanding the pitching rules are new this year in regards to the first 6 games. The 85 pitch count limit only applies to the first 6 games;

Delaware State pitching limitations

--------------------------------------------------
One pitch constitutes an inning pitched
A pitcher who pitches 1-3 innings does not require a day's rest and may pitch the next day
A pitcher who pitches 4-6 innings requires two calendar days rest before pitching again
A pitcher who pitches 7 or more innings, requires three calendar days rest before pitching again
A pitcher is allowed 16 innings pitched in any seven day period.

Additionally for the first six games a team plays,
Pitchers are to be limited to 85 pitches in the first six game (if a pitcher reaches the 85th pitch with
a count on a batter, he may finish that batter's turn); after six games, there is no official limit.
Also during the first six games,
0-30 pitches thrown requires no rest
31-50 pitches thrown requires 1 day of rest
51-80 pitches thrown requires 2 days of rest
If a doubleheader is played, the following restrictions are in place for the doubleheader for a pitcher,
pitched 3 or more innings, throws more than 30 pitches in any two innings or throws more than
40 pitches in any one inning, the pitcher is ineligible to pitch in the 2nd game but may play in the
field or DH in the 2nd game.

This is a good thing except I would just increase the pitch counts after the first 6 games and add days to the rest period. Go up to 100. Make it at least 3 days rest. Forget the inning stuff. Too many variables.

Hate it, any pitch count they give is going to be an arbitrary number. It holds no weight. Some guys may be helped with limiting them at 85 early on, however, not everyone fits into that mold. For some it could be less and for some it could be more. Pitch counts need to be on a player to player basis. This isn't a one size fits all type of limitation. The DIAA isn't someone I'd want deciding my player or son's arm health anyway.

Hate it, any pitch count they give is going to be an arbitrary number. It holds no weight. Some guys may be helped with limiting them at 85 early on, however, not everyone fits into that mold. For some it could be less and for some it could be more. Pitch counts need to be on a player to player basis. This isn't a one size fits all type of limitation. The DIAA isn't someone I'd want deciding my player or son's arm health anyway.

This wasn't DIAA deciding this... This was a meeting with baseball coaches association, doctors, and and DIAA. All had input into appropriate numbers.

Downstate...i agree with you that all kids aren't created equal...but as was mentioned before, i don't trust some of the coaches and the parents certainly don't get it either. So i think making a number like 85 protects all the kids just in case people aren't doing whats right. I say error on the side of caution. Worst case, you pull a pitcher that was healthy enough to safely throw more. So maybe you lose the game??? Small price to pay in my opinion if you protected an arm.

Downstate...i agree with you that all kids aren't created equal...but as was mentioned before, i don't trust some of the coaches and the parents certainly don't get it either. So i think making a number like 85 protects all the kids just in case people aren't doing whats right. I say error on the side of caution. Worst case, you pull a pitcher that was healthy enough to safely throw more. So maybe you lose the game??? Small price to pay in my opinion if you protected an arm.

My problem is, if you think your kid is throwing too many pitches, tell the coach. It's your kid, he has no right to do anything to your child that you don't deem fit. Each parent of any pitcher that has a real future should be invested in safety above anything else. No one is holding a gun to the kids head saying throw. Most times it's more so the parents lack of knowledge and wanting to live through their kid to see them win the big games that causes the injury. The coach isn't off the hook, but the parents aren't angels either. Let's be realistic here.

Dsc, Unfortunately, in today's age of hovering parents, most coaches would bristle at a micromanaging parent. I think that the best coaches would have the best interest of the kids in mind. If I thought otherwise, I'd pull my kid. In other words, I'd trust the coaches judgment, while letting my kid know to be honest with coach about how he is feeling. But, I don't have any golden armed pitchers with college scholarships and new houses invested in each pitch so what do I know!

Do you guys think it puts teams at a disadvantage if team with 5 games is playing a team with 8 games? How could this get fixed if you think it should?

No, advantage or disadvantage in 5 vs 8 games unless maybe 1 team is playing a 3rd/4th game in a week vs. a fresh team with all their pitching

It is my understanding the pitching rules are new this year in regards to the first 6 games. The 85 pitch count limit only applies to the first 6 games;

Delaware State pitching limitations

--------------------------------------------------
One pitch constitutes an inning pitched
A pitcher who pitches 1-3 innings does not require a day's rest and may pitch the next day
A pitcher who pitches 4-6 innings requires two calendar days rest before pitching again
A pitcher who pitches 7 or more innings, requires three calendar days rest before pitching again
A pitcher is allowed 16 innings pitched in any seven day period.

Additionally for the first six games a team plays,
Pitchers are to be limited to 85 pitches in the first six game (if a pitcher reaches the 85th pitch with
a count on a batter, he may finish that batter's turn); after six games, there is no official limit.
Also during the first six games,
0-30 pitches thrown requires no rest
31-50 pitches thrown requires 1 day of rest
51-80 pitches thrown requires 2 days of rest
If a doubleheader is played, the following restrictions are in place for the doubleheader for a pitcher,
pitched 3 or more innings, throws more than 30 pitches in any two innings or throws more than
40 pitches in any one inning, the pitcher is ineligible to pitch in the 2nd game but may play in the
field or DH in the 2nd game.
How many days rest do you need if you throw over 80 pitches.

It's a definite disadvantage, are you nuts? It's a literal math disadvantage. No way around it.

The DIAA aren't baseball people and this rule shows it. Their hearts are in the right place but this is a huge proverbial "swing and a miss". The fact that the days of rest are still under innings pitched should show you how well thought out this rule is. I can throw 2 innings after this grace period and throw 150 pitches and only have to rest a couple days. However, I could throw 79 pitches in 7 innings and have to rest the full amount. They put a shiny new sticker on an old rule and the sticker didn't even cover up the part that needed to be. Back to the drawing board guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT