ADVERTISEMENT

POY, All State

desports13

Mascot
Feb 17, 2018
There’s been no talk about this so far, any idea the players in running for poy and all state teams??

@Downstate4, I got these same 5 w/ Njoku added I’m thinking they may take 6 cuz I don’t think they will leave him off 1st Team. I got Hyland as the POY...I don’t think DE is gonna overlook what he has done this year. He was close last year.

Hyland (POY)
Davis (San)
Davis (Dover)
Clark (CR)
Someone other than Njoku or Ali but I don't know who

Looking at the list from all 3 teams last year only ones who are back are
1st team: Davis (Sanford) and Bones
Nobody from 2nd team
and 3rd team Ali(MP) and Clark(CR)

@Downstate4, I got these same 5 w/ Njoku added I’m thinking they may take 6 cuz I don’t think they will leave him off 1st Team. I got Hyland as the POY...I don’t think DE is gonna overlook what he has done this year. He was close last year.
I agree with 6 this year too.. Taking Davis POY though.. I like bones but all around game Davis all day... Only reason why Davis don't put same numbers as bones is because of Stan system don't allow him to show all his skills.. He has to differ to the Perkins boys and big fella way too much.. Stan should of changed this offense last year and he didn't and it cost him a title last year..

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
I agree with 6 this year too.. Taking Davis POY though.. I like bones but all around game Davis all day... Only reason why Davis don't put same numbers as bones is because of Stan system don't allow him to show all his skills.. He has to differ to the Perkins boys and big fella way too much.. Stan should of changed this offense last year and he didn't and it cost him a title last year..

In my opinion POY should go to the work that you put in on the court that year (not what you could have done in another system or potential at the next level or big time D1 offers) & w/ that being said I don't think voters can ignore what Hyland has done this year. He has the numbers & has put that team on his back, not to mention head-to-head versus Sanford he had his team in position to win that game up 7/8 w/ about a minute left before losing in OT against a loaded Davis/Sanford team. I totally understand that Davis' numbers won't always be eye-popping because of all of the talent around him, the ball gets spread around & Stan's system but you still can't ignore what Hyland is doing. Let me ask you this...Had you already given Davis POY before the year started? Because if not I'm not sure what more Hyland could have done this year to get your vote, what would he have had to do to get POY? He is probably averaging around 30 & only has 2 in-state losses (1 in OT to Sanford & another to Newark), so what he gotta go out & get 35/40 a night?

Last edited:
Hyland should be POY
Davis (Sanford)
Allen (Dover)
Ali (MP)
Jack Brown (Sallies)

If they go 6 would imagine have to put Clark
Hyland should be POY
Davis (Sanford)
Allen (Dover)
Ali (MP)
Jack Brown (Sallies)

If they go 6 would imagine have to put Clark

Some would argue that Brown isn’t even the best player on his Sallies team (Darnell Vaughan). Dover’s Davis, CR’s Clark & Sanford’s Njoku all day long over Brown.

Some would argue that Brown isn’t even the best player on his Sallies team (Darnell Vaughan). Dover’s Davis, CR’s Clark & Sanford’s Njoku all day long over Brown.

Don't disagree with any of those players or even the statement that Vaughan is the best player on that team. Just know alot of all state and all conference is based on name and everybody hears the name Jack Brown all the time.

Don't disagree with any of those players or even the statement that Vaughan is the best player on that team. Just know alot of all state and all conference is based on name and everybody hears the name Jack Brown all the time.

You are right about that...that's where the politics also kick in. I don't think Vaughan was on many voters radar before the year began. I think those other players mentioned all had a lot of pub as well as the productivity this year though. After St. Mark's recent win over Sallies and possibly finishing out around 15-5 the Ludman kid will be sure to get some votes as well, maybe not 1st Team but he'll be in the mix on one of maybe 2nd or 3rd.

In my opinion POY should go to the work that you put in on the court that year (not what you could have done in another system or potential at the next level or big time D1 offers) & w/ that being said I don't think voters can ignore what Hyland has done this year. He has the numbers & has put that team on his back, not to mention head-to-head versus Sanford he had his team in position to win that game up 7/8 w/ about a minute left before losing in OT against a loaded Davis/Sanford team. I totally understand that Davis' numbers won't always be eye-popping because of all of the talent around him, the ball gets spread around & Stan's system but you still can't ignore what Hyland is doing. Let me ask you this...Had you already given Davis POY before the year started? Because if not I'm not sure what more Hyland could have done this year to get your vote, what would he have had to do to get POY? He is probably averaging around 30 & only has 2 in-state losses (1 in OT to Sanford & another to Newark), so what he gotta go out & get 35/40 a night?
So if we’re basing this off body of work you have to mention the Ali kid he’s leadyhis team in every category and is putting up some nice numbers as we’ll

Who would you take on 1st team... Allen or Davis from Dover... both putting up great numbers, I don’t think both will make first team though....who is having the better year?

Who would you take on 1st team... Allen or Davis from Dover... both putting up great numbers, I don’t think both will make first team though....who is having the better year?
Very tough to say. They both have been putting on for Dover and both have had their games against quality opponents. I think that 30 piece Davis put up against CR might carry some extra weight. but both deserve it just sad there are only 5 spots.

Agree about that regarding the name bias. I'll certainly take Vaughn over him any day on Sallies.

Why you say "Someone other than Njoku or Ali but I don't know who?"
If you don't know who, why would you take either one of them out?
I haven't seen enough games to pick a fifth but I was looking for help with that 5th spot. I was hoping someone could come up with someone more deserving than Ali or Njoku. And please, don't give me Jack Brown. How about the kid from Glasgow? Anyone else from downstate? Maybe it is Ali or Njoku but thought maybe someone else out there.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
POY : Bones or Ali with Davis(Dover) getting a sniff

1st team all state
Bones
Ali
Clark
Davis (Sanford)
Davis (Dover)

2nd tean all state
Njoku
Allen
Brown or Vaughn (Sallies) one drops to 3rd team
Bradshaw
Ludman

3rd team all-state
Roach
Reynolds
Perkins H
Perkins C
Dantley or Efekodo

i'm sure i'm missing some really good players, help me out before you criticize, ijs

Last edited:
Iam ask you this question??. Bones had better numbers last year.. Did he win player of the year?? .. Voters look at more than just scoring .. That's why I pick Davis.. He could shoot 25 times a game score 30 or 40 a game too..

Agree about that regarding the name bias. I'll certainly take Vaughn over him any day on Sallies.
I think Caulk is the best all around player on Sallies. Saw him a couple of times, but vs the best team in the state (Sanford), he was the only one out there that didn't fold under pressure. Watch out for him his junior/senior year.

Reactions: Huskerman7
I haven't seen enough games to pick a fifth but I was looking for help with that 5th spot. I was hoping someone could come up with someone more deserving than Ali or Njoku. And please, don't give me Jack Brown. How about the kid from Glasgow? Anyone else from downstate? Maybe it is Ali or Njoku but thought maybe someone else out there.
I agree somewhat. J. Brown was an under achiever this year. Kid is usually a lights out shooter. Not sure if the system had something to do with it but I thought his numbers would have supported an All State bid.
I tried looking up Bradshaw's numbers but Glasgow on has 3 game's box score on their webpage.

POY : Bones or Ali with Davis(Dover) getting a sniff

1st team all state
Bones
Ali
Clark
Davis (Sanford)
Davis (Dover)

2nd tean all state
Njoku
Allen
Brown or Vaughn (Sallies) one drops to 3rd team
Bradshaw
Ludman

3rd team all-state
Roach
Reynolds
Perkins H
Perkins C
Dantley or Efekodo

i'm sure i'm missing some really good players, help me out before you criticize, ijs
I would put the sengphachanh kid from caravel in there over ludman, even brown and vaughn

Reactions: J12 and TruthSerum1
I think Caulk is the best all around player on Sallies. Saw him a couple of times, but vs the best team in the state (Sanford), he was the only one out there that didn't fold under pressure. Watch out for him his junior/senior year.

Excellent point.

So if we’re basing this off body of work you have to mention the Ali kid he’s leadyhis team in every category and is putting up some nice numbers as we’ll
I agree that can be "mentioned" & will probably be 1st Team but his body of work does not compare to Hyland's.

Iam ask you this question??. Bones had better numbers last year.. Did he win player of the year?? .. Voters look at more than just scoring .. That's why I pick Davis.. He could shoot 25 times a game score 30 or 40 a game too..
Can I ask you a question...Does Davis' numbers this year compare to Matthews' numbers last year? Davis is without a doubt a better player than Matthews but when your numbers jump out like that for a top team then the voters like to lean their way. You & many others may pick Davis but I don't think that the voters will this year is what I'm saying.

Jamon Kane is averaging 22 and 12 for Woodbridge but will get over looked because of the south...same with the big from Lake

Reactions: J12
Jamon Kane is averaging 22 and 12 for Woodbridge but will get over looked because of the south...same with the big from Lake
I didn’t know he averages 22 ppg but he is the most underrated player out there & I noticed that he never gets mentioned or listed on the Top 25 Player lists which I believe is because he plays down at Woodbridge. He may not get any style points but he bangs & gives you numbers. He plays like he is still on the football field & it works for him...LoL

Reactions: Chill44
I agree that can be "mentioned" & will probably be 1st Team but his body of work does not compare to Hyland's.
Bones hasn’t really done anything unexpected he had a better year last year and takes more shots then every kid mentioned and don’t give me that he has too POY is suppose to make everybody better and he fails to do that in my opinion if he trusted his teammates more St.G would be a much better squad

OK is this about Hyland or is it about Ali’s POY pub push? Much better squad...St. George’s only in-state losses are to Sanford in OT & to a scrappy Newark team so how much better did you expect them to be? Are you saying they should have ran the table in DE? I’m not sure what more yall expect the kid to do...yes he takes A LOT of shots but I have seen him distribute the ball as well & he is doing what he has to do for St. George’s to win games.

It’s about basketball period good basketball not a personal favorite All those mention are good players we can’t compare in state and out of state wins and losses if that’s the case Dover should be 1st in the state we’re talking about making everybody better and having your team competing if I took 60% of the shots I would put up big numbers too what happen to defense,rebounding,assists,steals and most of all being a good teammate the things that don’t show up on the scoreboard

Reactions: FootballguyDE
It’s about basketball period good basketball not a personal favorite All those mention are good players we can’t compare in state and out of state wins and losses if that’s the case Dover should be 1st in the state we’re talking about making everybody better and having your team competing if I took 60% of the shots I would put up big numbers too what happen to defense,rebounding,assists,steals and most of all being a good teammate the things that don’t show up on the scoreboard

Yes they are all good players...agreed. Delaware is so far behind in basketball as far as quality teams go which is why I say that you absolutely have to compare in-state & out-of-state losses. Some of the teams that our DE teams go & play outside of DE would be State Champs here in DE. Simply put our top teams rarely compete with the top teams from neighboring states which is why I always lean on the competition that teams play within DE. Sanford & Dover are both undefeated in DE & playing good basketball so put them in any order you like.

I agree that all statistics & all-around play should be considered. Once again this kid has his team competing at a very high level along w/ the statistics. You are bringing these things up as if to say these are things that he doesn’t do. Then your most of all was being a good teammate...is he a bad teammate? I mean it’s not like he got kicked out of a game this year & had to sit the next game resulting in his team losing to an inferior opponent.

Last edited:
Bones hasn’t really done anything unexpected he had a better year last year and takes more shots then every kid mentioned and don’t give me that he has too POY is suppose to make everybody better and he fails to do that in my opinion if he trusted his teammates more St.G would be a much better squad

Wow! I honestly couldn’t disagree more! I’m not sure how many SG games you have seen this year? I’ve seen about 8-10 games. Hyland is not a selfish player at all. He’s a more than willing passer. In fact, I’d go as far as to say he has to be top 10 in the state in assist! Does he force shots? Of course. But what great scorer doesn’t? But he also gets his teammates uncontested layups, multiple times each game. When taking into consideration his supporting cast, there’s no way they should have as good of a record as they do! No disrespect to the kids, there’s only 1 player on the SG roster that could start at 85% of the other high schools in DE. That’s just the truth. Let’s not forget. It’s only an assist if the person actually scores off of the pass!

Wow! I honestly couldn’t disagree more! I’m not sure how many SG games you have seen this year? I’ve seen about 8-10 games. Hyland is not a selfish player at all. He’s a more than willing passer. In fact, I’d go as far as to say he has to be top 10 in the state in assist! Does he force shots? Of course. But what great scorer doesn’t? But he also gets his teammates uncontested layups, multiple times each game. When taking into consideration his supporting cast, there’s no way they should have as good of a record as they do! No disrespect to the kids, there’s only 1 player on the SG roster that could start at 85% of the other high schools in DE. That’s just the truth. Let’s not forget. It’s only an assist if the person actually scores off of the pass!
You are 100% correct.
I just disregarded @Coach_Cheez 's post and didn't think it was worth my time replying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT