ADVERTISEMENT

POY predictions??

sportsguy725

Towel boy
Jan 16, 2018
Delaware
Just trying to see who people think the Girls basketball player of the year will be. My prediction would be Ward-Mayo of St. E. Absolutely insane year she’s having only as sophomore. 41 points against CR and 30 the other night against a top team in Conrad, as well as having awesome numbers all year. Speaking of Conrad you can put both the Kulesza sisters in the running, also having unreal seasons as 9th and 10th graders. And of course Maggie Connolly, winning it last year but she’s had a pretty quiet year with a weaker team than previous years under Noonan, but good year nonetheless. Olivia Tucker has been doing great as well, leading her team to a top seed along with the stats to back it up. I’m sure missing some people and want to see what other people think???

This is a year I hope people understand that the folks who vote for All-State/POY have VERY tough jobs because there isn't a runaway POY in this year's field. The Kuleszas are outstanding, as is Connolly, but Ward-Mayo's definitely in the conversation, and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Olivia Tucker's teammate Lauren Park-Lane, she's the engine that makes that team go.

Reactions: sportsguy725
This is a year I hope people understand that the folks who vote for All-State/POY have VERY tough jobs because there isn't a runaway POY in this year's field. The Kuleszas are outstanding, as is Connolly, but Ward-Mayo's definitely in the conversation, and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Olivia Tucker's teammate Lauren Park-Lane, she's the engine that makes that team go.
I agree with that and I wanted to mention her but I only saw her play at the Diamond State Classic, but I haven’t heard much buzz around her name this year so much as Tucker. She has been one of the top girls point guards in the state the last couple years no doubt. I want to say she probably has been overshadowed because Tucker recently scored her 1000 points. Not a discredit to Tucker at all it’s just the things people see online and what not. But I do really hate the great players getting taken out of these conversations because they are a player that is a pass first player, great defensive player, or team motor (as you said Park-Lane is), etc.

The best I've seen up North (in no particular order) are:
Ber' Nyah Mayo (St. E's)
Kayla Braxton-Young (Hodgson)
Kulesza sisters (Conrad)
Kendra Warren (Caravel)

I do think Caravel has the best all around team if the starting 5 included their 3 bigs (forwards) instead of just the 2.

*****I have not seen UA, Sanford, and some of the other usual suspects play this year.

All great choices and great competitors. Let's see how far each team gets in the tournament. This should have a bearing on the decision.

The best I've seen up North (in no particular order) are:
Ber' Nyah Mayo (St. E's)
Kayla Braxton-Young (Hodgson)
Kulesza sisters (Conrad)
Kendra Warren (Caravel)

I do think Caravel has the best all around team if the starting 5 included their 3 bigs (forwards) instead of just the 2.

*****I have not seen UA, Sanford, and some of the other usual suspects play this year.
When you talk about Player of the Year you need to look at the true numbers of a player (PPG, FG%, 3P FG%, RPG, APG, SPG) and how much success has that players team had. Girls basketball in Delaware and across the country is notorious with kids who score points but shoot a very low FG% and don't play the right way. So as everyone throws these names out I hope you have more than a box score to base your opinion on. What are the true numbers for these kids? Do they play the right way? Do they make their teammates better? Are they on successful teams?

Reactions: DEGirlsBballFan
When you talk about Player of the Year you need to look at the true numbers of a player (PPG, FG%, 3P FG%, RPG, APG, SPG) and how much success has that players team had. Girls basketball in Delaware and across the country is notorious with kids who score points but shoot a very low FG% and don't play the right way. So as everyone throws these names out I hope you have more than a box score to base your opinion on. What are the true numbers for these kids? Do they play the right way? Do they make their teammates better? Are they on successful teams?
Ber’Nyah “Fatty” award-Mayo has led her team all year with points, a good percentage inside and out, and gets rebounds, steals, and blocks. She really does it all for the team. You can watch the film. Of course she’ll have some wild layups but she makes a pretty good number of them for a high school player... and sophomore.

Reactions: TeamTom5655
Agreed, I think she's the Real Deal, and a definite candidate for POY.

Now, if only coach could develop the other players and have a real offensive team, maybe they could play for the State Championship.

I would go with co-players of the year or which players team wins the title. Either Lauren Park-Lane or Julie Kulesza. Both can straight out ball.

I would go with co-players of the year or which players team wins the title. Either Lauren Park-Lane or Julie Kulesza. Both can straight out ball.

Julie has Stef as a running mate, who's arguably even better....

Lauren carries Sanford on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: Sports_Fan72
Ballots must be turned in before the semifinals, so winning the title has no bearing on the vote.

The word is Mayo is the front runner to get it at least Gatorade player of the year. She means more to that team with what she does. She rebound, passes, and she plays both ends of the floor and will guard the opposing teams best player. Not saying locks them down but she is playing them.

Maggie would get it but she needs another player to keep that double and triple teams off of her. she had normal numbers this year. She isn't the greatest of defenders.

If there is anybody on the Sanford team that would be considered for player of the year it would be Park-Lane. She doesn't have to show a lot of scoring depending on the team there playing but she can score. never comes out of the game because if she does the team seems to lose something on the floor. Not a great defender against other guards that will go at her.

The Kulesza sisters are good players, but if there was one of them that warrants being in the conversation for player of the year it would be the younger one Stephanie. She rebounds and scores from the wing area. needs to work on her ball handling to get her shot off. and struggles on defense with guards that can handle the ball.

other players that should be in the running- Lynnjay Brown, Zhane Snow, Kendra Warren, and Kayla Braxton-Young

**Now I'm going to be honest this honor should be done based on regular season. The reason is, some players with weaker teams will not make the play- offs but that doesn't mean that the player does not warrant to be considered for there play.

The word is Mayo is the front runner to get it at least Gatorade player of the year. She means more to that team with what she does. She rebound, passes, and she plays both ends of the floor and will guard the opposing teams best player. Not saying locks them down but she is playing them.

Maggie would get it but she needs another player to keep that double and triple teams off of her. she had normal numbers this year. She isn't the greatest of defenders.

If there is anybody on the Sanford team that would be considered for player of the year it would be Park-Lane. She doesn't have to show a lot of scoring depending on the team there playing but she can score. never comes out of the game because if she does the team seems to lose something on the floor. Not a great defender against other guards that will go at her.

The Kulesza sisters are good players, but if there was one of them that warrants being in the conversation for player of the year it would be the younger one Stephanie. She rebounds and scores from the wing area. needs to work on her ball handling to get her shot off. and struggles on defense with guards that can handle the ball.

other players that should be in the running- Lynnjay Brown, Zhane Snow, Kendra Warren, and Kayla Braxton-Young

**Now I'm going to be honest this honor should be done based on regular season. The reason is, some players with weaker teams will not make the play- offs but that doesn't mean that the player does not warrant to be considered for there play.
Mayo is a very good player for her team.
Maggie's number's are better this year than last year.
Park-Lane is the straw that stirs the drink for that team.
Julie has had a better year than Stefanie but Stefanie has more upside.
The other kids mentioned are very good players but are not in the running for POY.

Mayo is a very good player for her team.
Maggie's number's are better this year than last year.
Park-Lane is the straw that stirs the drink for that team.
Julie has had a better year than Stefanie but Stefanie has more upside.
The other kids mentioned are very good players but are not in the running for POY.

Totally agree on everything said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT