ADVERTISEMENT

POY

May 12, 2015
Is there any precedent for joint players of the year ? Seems to me if Cape wins out and even if they are not the technical # 1 seed because of point system, their resume would make them the clear 1 team in State. Then, it seems hard to separate "brothers" Ian Robertson & Randy Rickards. Heck they even both hit the 1,000 point mark in the same 1/2 of Tech game. Smyrna's Mathews may have the edge in PPG but his performance in that 20 point loss v. Cape, would seem to put a little tarnish on his otherwise outstanding year, just for separating the best of the best. I suppose, Conference honors and CPY will be a bit of a tell. Not a basketball guy ... so thoughts to all of you who are ?

16 pts vs William Penn 13 pts vs Sanford 15 pts vs Delcastle let’s see how he does against cape and Smyrna before we hand the MVP over so easily. Matthews, Roberson, or Bones all have a legit shot at MVP it will be a close one Rickards is in the conversation also

Last edited:
Reactions: theWILL2WIN
Votes are expected to be handed in by March 7th, so basically the media will have a playoff game or two to go on when making their decisions.

16 pts vs William Penn 13 pts vs Sanford 15 pts vs Delcastle let’s see how he does against cape and Smyrna before we hand the MVP over so easily. Matthews, Roberson, or Bones all have a legit shot at MVP it will be a close one Rickards is in the conversation also
If I had to vote today I’d vote Hyland but I don’t it’s hands down as many others think. With St. George’s having games left vs Smyrna & Cape who also have POY candidates I think those games & production will carry some weight. I want to see Hyland put up the numbers against these top teams too.

Now this is the answer of a man that gets it.
I’m not so sure about that...I think both are deserving but when talking locks I see Hyland, Matthews, Davis & Robertson as the locks for those people whose votes actually count that I have heard from. I’d personally vote for Rickards as well but with Harding (William Penn) out there lurking vying for a spot on 1st Team & Parker (Caravel) having been 1st Team last year I wouldn’t be surprised if Rickards got snubbed. Me personally I would have to take 6 on 1st Team this year...

Hyland (St. George’s)
Matthews (Smyrna)
Roberts (Cape)
Davis (Sanford)
Harding (William Penn)
Rickards (Cape)

If I had to vote today I’d vote Hyland but I don’t it’s hands down as many others think. With St. George’s having games left vs Smyrna & Cape who also have POY candidates I think those games & production will carry some weight. I want to see Hyland put up the numbers against these top teams too.

I’m still in the wait and see camp. No doubt Bones put up big numbers but so have Rickards, Robertson and Matthews. I originally had Davis and Parker in the mix but these 4 have separated from the pack. If it’s pure stats ok Bones but if you consider the level of competition and how their teams have performed (St. G probably 13-7, Cape 18-2, Smyrna 18-2 or 17-3) it’s not as clear cut as some think. Credit to the downstate guys this year they are battling and putting up numbers most nights in the Henlopen North compared to the drought of good teams we have in the north this year. Factor in a playoff game or two in the mix it will be interesting. Cape and Smyrna should go deep not to sure about St. Gs. If Bones produces vs Cape and Smyrna and keeps the games competitive that will be telling.

Reactions: Doghead22 and J12
Rickards will not get snub... Long as Cape win out.. Robertson and Rickards will be first team... Both of them have same numbers and multiple 30 piont games.. Like said lock for both of them...

I’m still in the wait and see camp. No doubt Bones put up big numbers but so have Rickards, Robertson and Matthews. I originally had Davis and Parker in the mix but these 4 have separated from the pack. If it’s pure stats ok Bones but if you consider the level of competition and how their teams have performed (St. G probably 13-7, Cape 18-2, Smyrna 18-2 or 17-3) it’s not as clear cut as some think. Credit to the downstate guys this year they are battling and putting up numbers most nights in the Henlopen North compared to the drought of good teams we have in the north this year. Factor in a playoff game or two in the mix it will be interesting. Cape and Smyrna should go deep not to sure about St. Gs. If Bones produces vs Cape and Smyrna and keeps the games competitive that will be telling.
I agree 100%...St. George’s next couple games vs Smyrna & Cape should say a lot. Downstate should be well represented as far as all 3 All State teams go & I like Smyrna’s Bloodsworth & Garnett, Tech’s Burton & CR’s Clark to land on one of those 3 All State teams too.

Rickards will not get snub... Long as Cape win out.. Robertson and Rickards will be first team... Both of them have same numbers and multiple 30 piont games.. Like said lock for both of them...
That is wishful thinking but I have seen it happen especially with upstate usually dominating the All State teams...it shouldn’t but it’s possible w/ these voters.

I think Matthews get POY. Has had a solid year and been consistent, has the defending state champs in position to do it again, and I know its a horrible argument but I know people use it He's the senior so they might make Hyland wait until next year. Even though I don't agree with that.
Then with Rickards and Robertson, I couldn't agree more that both deserve 1st team all state, watched them all 4 years there aren't much better but I don't know if they will put 2 kids from the same team on the 1st team.

I think Matthews get POY. Has had a solid year and been consistent, has the defending state champs in position to do it again, and I know its a horrible argument but I know people use it He's the senior so they might make Hyland wait until next year. Even though I don't agree with that.
Then with Rickards and Robertson, I couldn't agree more that both deserve 1st team all state, watched them all 4 years there aren't much better but I don't know if they will put 2 kids from the same team on the 1st team.
Only way both Rickards and Robertson dont get first team is because of politics upstate.. Iam going be honest too.. Parker, Davis, Harding or Bloodsworth are not having better year than them..

Reactions: DDBasketballCoach
I can’t remember a year where the last few games featured so many key matchups when talking top teams & potential 1st Team All Staters/POY candidates...Smyrna/Matthews vs St. George’s/Hyland last night, St.George’s/Hyland @ Cape/Robertson & Rickards Friday night, Smyrna/Matthews @ William Penn/Harding next Tuesday then a possible Round 3 w/ Smyrna/Matthews vs Cape/Robertson & Rickards for the Henlopen North if Cape takes care of business against CR next Monday. I wanna see somebody step up & set themselves apart from the pack w/ a statement performance or even upset victory while doing so.

Reactions: Hoopsdownstate2
Only way both Rickards and Robertson dont get first team is because of politics upstate.. Iam going be honest too.. Parker, Davis, Harding or Bloodsworth are not having better year than them..
I expected a bigger year from Parker & a more dominant year from Davis but I also think that Davis’ #s weren’t as much as I had expected because of the additions of Njoku & H. Perkins this year.

Parker's had a solid year, it's just been off the radar because Caravel didn't get good and warm til just now. Without Alderman, he's likely to kick it up another notch.

Davis has been affected by the new guys, but a good tournament would help his case, I would think.

Parker's had a solid year, it's just been off the radar because Caravel didn't get good and warm til just now. Without Alderman, he's likely to kick it up another notch.

Davis has been affected by the new guys, but a good tournament would help his case, I would think.
I agree.. But numbers dont lie and record dont either.. Rickards and Robertson top 5 in scoring, rebounds and blocks...

Oh yeah, those two deserve first team, no questions asked. Just a question of who you're taking between Parker and Davis, providing Hyland and Matthews fill the other two spots.

imo Davis(phenomenal player) but down year and Parker who everyone had high expectations for just haven’t done enough this year...can’t win 2018 all state based off 2017 play, Parker played a relatively easier schedule also imo

As I asked and Gatekeeper answered, votes are due in March 7th so State Tourney won’t count for much. Just my two cents is that if the award was voted upon after the tourney there would be a different selection.

Reactions: 84rider
As I asked and Gatekeeper answered, votes are due in March 7th so State Tourney won’t count for much. Just my two cents is that if the award was voted upon after the tourney there would be a different selection.

I second that ! The 2nd round of the tournament is March 1st, quarter finals are March 3rd

I wouldn’t count Burton out from Sussex Tech imo
No room for Burton on 1st Team w/ 3 downstaters already ahead of him in Matthews, Robertson & Rickards not to mention all 4 of Tech’s losses come to those 2 teams. Factor in that you have Hyland, Davis & Parker (I’d vote for William Penn’s Harding ahead of Parker) upstate in the mix & I just don’t see voters giving him the nod. I got him 2nd Team easily though. IMO in a year where downstate clearly dominated the field I would like to believe that he has a shot but just can’t see it happening. I would like to see Smyrna’s Bloodsworth & Garnett along w/ CR’s Clark find a spot on 2nd & 3rd teams as well.

Reactions: _TK44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT