ADVERTISEMENT

Rawls will not be DENIED

Denied, many times by Smyrna's size.

Yeah Smyrna's Nwankwo was not having anything down low...Smyrna holds yet another high-scoring team to their season low because of his presence down low. Smyrna is just too big.

Reactions: Patcomic
Big 33 has been the difference all year. They win it next year also with big 3 returning. DE can't compete with that 3 of Matthew, Garnett and big kid.

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
He controls the paint Garnett played well tonight

Garnett is a walking double-double...St. George's had nobody to guard him & when they came out in man defense they had Rawls guarding him. I would have taken the focus off of getting Matthews the ball & dumped it down low to him every time.

Denied, many times by Smyrna's size.

I also thought that Rawls was used to drawing fouls throughout the year & relying heavily on the many free throws that he would shoot but tonight Smyrna's bigs were just meeting him at the basket going straight up & when he was falling in attempts to draw the fouls they were not getting called vs other games when it seemed like refs would automatically blow the whistle when he sold the fouls. Rough night for Rawls but I really think he will bounce back & could play somewhere w/ his high basketball IQ...interested in seeing where he ends up playing in college or if he has any offers.

Reactions: theWILL2WIN
Ha! Only thing worse than Rawls is his old man.
You just exposed yourself and the biggest issue people had with Rawls which isn't the player himself it's his father. The only person the father yelled at tonight was a ref. Which is probably what you are.

Rawls ability as a player has nothing to do with his father. His father is passionate and coaches him in every other league he plays in. Tonight was a rough game, but over all what this kid has done in terms of leadership and ability is outstanding.

Matthews didn't have a great game either and the difference tonight was coaching. St. George's coach didn't get his team to adjust, #5 took too many shots and the game was lost. PLAYER OF THE YEAR. Is about the season correct? Not just the playoffs. Smyrna has a great team but the blatant hate against a OUTSTANDING point guard is ridiculous and clearly shows that your biased because you have an issue with the father.

I have been reading your boards for a while and enjoy the exchanges and generally believe in them being from people who love the sport. Not petty, wannabe commentators that try to tear down a great player because of one game lost.

This kid gets a 3.0 gpa, and doesn't get into trouble. And somehow the minute he loses a game he's no longer good? Has he not been deep into the playoffs 3/4 years? Has he not basically carries a team CONSISTENTLY? What the heck do you people look for in a POY? A highlight reel?

Kyson Rawls is still one of the best three to five players in this state, just had a rough night at the worst possible time. Credit should go to Coach Mears and his game plan of making Hyland try and beat them by himself because Lord knows St. G wasn't getting offense from anyone other than Kyson/Nah'Shon.

As far as POY...you can go with Rawls/Matthews/Parker/Davis and not have any controversy about it. Anybody outside those four is a surprise.

MVP of the game was probably the kid who shutdown Rawls?

He did a great job harassing Rawls all night & it helps that you can play so aggressive on defensive knowing that you have a rim protector as well if you get beat. Hinson-Purnell usually draws the other team's best guard on defense when Smyrna plays man & does a great job but you just don't hear his name much because of the other big names on the team & the fact that he doesn't score much. Smyrn just happens to have all the pieces to the puzzle w/ that team.

Last edited:
Rawls is still one of the best players in DE. Kid is a hooper, everyone has an off game and it was just at the worst time. As mentioned he was used to getting foul calls and didn't get any last night. Kid is still very solid and a great player. Does it hurt him for P.O.Y? possibly. Think he still gets the nod over Matthews and let him have it next year but we will see

Reactions: IDCARE
Rawls is still one of the best players in DE. Kid is a hooper, everyone has an off game and it was just at the worst time. As mentioned he was used to getting foul calls and didn't get any last night. Kid is still very solid and a great player. Does it hurt him for P.O.Y? possibly. Think he still gets the nod over Matthews and let him have it next year but we will see

I'm not sure who will get POY this year but I would think that the voters will lean towards Rawls or Matthews.

You mentioned letting Matthews have it next year but I'll say this now...Nwankwo (assuming he sticks around at Smyrna) would be my early favorite along w/ Sanford's Davis. I think Nwankwo has the attention of DE now, would assume he will begin getting offers this summer during the AAU circuit & after another year of working on some offensive skills to go along w/ his defensive presence & rebounding he is sure to dominate next year. Davis should also continue to put up numbers for what will be a much improved Sanford team next year too, so those two would be my frontrunners for POY next year.

St. G's coach clearly has zero control of that team. Did not recognize any in game adjustments made by coach offensively or defensively. They ran the same high ball screen every time down on offense. #5 did whatever he wanted last night and it is the reason they lost that game. He came out hot but than went cold and continued to stay cold while Smyrna was heating up and he would not pass the ball, just continued to jack shots up. scored 16 on what 30 shots?? Rawls needed the ball earlier to get in the flow #5 did not allow him to touch the ball he wanted the show to be about him. Seems like a super selfish player. Super surprised St. G's made it that far in the tourney.. Did anyone see other games by them, was last night their usual showing??

I think Caravel has a shot to compete. Their #4 for Caravel is a workhorse with tons of heart he will find a way to disrupt on the boards. Parker and Alderman will rise to the occasion should be a good game.

St. G's coach clearly has zero control of that team. Did not recognize any in game adjustments made by coach offensively or defensively. They ran the same high ball screen every time down on offense. #5 did whatever he wanted last night and it is the reason they lost that game. He came out hot but than went cold and continued to stay cold while Smyrna was heating up and he would not pass the ball, just continued to jack shots up. scored 16 on what 30 shots?? Rawls needed the ball earlier to get in the flow #5 did not allow him to touch the ball he wanted the show to be about him. Seems like a super selfish player. Super surprised St. G's made it that far in the tourney.. Did anyone see other games by them, was last night their usual showing??

I think Caravel has a shot to compete. Their #4 for Caravel is a workhorse with tons of heart he will find a way to disrupt on the boards. Parker and Alderman will rise to the occasion should be a good game.

I couldn't agree with you more. I watched all their tournament games and the ball should have been controlled more by Rawls. Smyrna had a better coaching staff to me. They collapsed on Rawls because they knew #5 isn't polished and inconsistent. The coach should have switched it up.

I think #20 did a great job holding Matthews to only 16 points? They just had great team control. I think yesterday was a testimany to the team and not the player. Matthews is good and can create a good shot. But POY belongs to Rawls IMO.

Will be interested to see what parker does with Smyrna. I don't think Caravel will be able to stop them.

Hats off to St Georges program Coach could have easily had 2 championships in my opinion. There problem has always been selfish play towards each other .When u have parents telling there kids don't pass your just as good as him this is the outcome. Selfish play becomes a team cancer .Sometimes wanna be stars flop. Coach did his best.

Last edited:
Hats off to St Georges program Coach could have easily had 2 championships in my opinion. There problem has always been selfish play towards each other .When u have parents telling there kids don't pass your just as good as the him this is the outcome. Selfish play becomes a team cancer .Sometimes wanna be stars flop. Coach did his best.

I don't deny he's a good coach I just think he could have made better calls. And he's done that before. Especially in the big games. I do have to place fault in him. He had the capable team. They just couldn't pull it out.

Are you referring to #5? I think he's inconsistent honestly. And does get exposed when he tries to take control of the game which isn't his position.

underdog I disagree. He very well might be a good coach. But he never once talked to #5 or I thought should have sat him for a little to get him refocused. Coach just sat there and ran the same offense the entire game clearly was not working. Sitting some rows behind the bench of St. G's I actually noticed several times he would correct players for missing shots or taking bad shots. Never said a word to #5 who had several air balls and bad takes. That is all coaching be able to get your players refocused and to buy into a system. St. G's has talent they won 19 games but clearly last night they did not do what they did all year, and I think a clear difference was 5 with the ball more than 2.. They have lost twice now on the big stage for similar reasons...

Reactions: underdog247
underdog I disagree. He very well might be a good coach. But he never once talked to #5 or I thought should have sat him for a little to get him refocused. Coach just sat there and ran the same offense the entire game clearly was not working. Sitting some rows behind the bench of St. G's I actually noticed several times he would correct players for missing shots or taking bad shots. Never said a word to #5 who had several air balls and bad takes. That is all coaching be able to get your players refocused and to buy into a system. St. G's has talent they won 19 games but clearly last night they did not do what they did all year, and I think a clear difference was 5 with the ball more than 2.. They have lost twice now on the big stage for similar reasons...

In the games I have seen St. George's play their gameplan has been the same as last night mostly...the results just weren't there last night. Hyland usually takes shots in bunches early getting it going & then Rawls finishes it off late in the game being more aggressive & getting to the foul line. That's the way it went last night but Rawls just couldn't finish while Hyland also couldn't get anything to fall in the second half while he continued to hoist it up. But make no mistake about it this is how St. George's has lived or died all year long w/ these 2...last night they just couldn't find the bucket & that's a credit to Smyrna's defense. I left that game thinking that even if more shots fell for St. George's they would still have loss because Smyrna has the better overall team. If those 2 teams played 10 times I think that Smyrna would probably win 7-8 of those games.

His old man doesn't respect the game or other people around him. Like it or not that detracts from his son's development and how people perceive him. Last I checked there is a pledge to display sportsmanship and the father violates it repeatedly.

So:

1. Do you think the St. G coach likes that act?
2. How would a prospective college coach react to that act?

Last edited:
Wrong.

Subjective.

Wrong.
You got so much mouth behind this username. State who you really are ****ing coward. Probably a ****ing clown ref. The refs were terrible last night as they been all year. Rawls was getting fouled. The state got what they wanted. A down state team a chance to win a chip. They haven't won one in over 20 years. ****ing bums.

@Tru_basketballfan. Wow must have watched a different game. Give respect when it's due. Smyrna was the better team last night. Rawls is an exceptional player. Don't go all conspiracy theory "the state got what they wanted". So they haven't wanted a downstate Champion since Seaford 97'. Why all of the sudden?

'****ing bums......come on have some class. WB, STM, SMYRNA, CAPE were all in the hunt this year.

His old man doesn't respect the game or other people around him. Like it or not that detracts from his son's development and how people perceive him. Last I checked there is a pledge to display sportsmanship and the father violates it repeatedly.

So:

1. Do you think the St. G coach likes that act?
2. How would a prospective college coach react to that act?

@jvm3, I personally dont have a problem with pop cheering and yelling for his son, i think its awesome that his pop is involved and shows that unconditional love for his son....he's supposed to fight for his son....as for the pledge to display sportsmanship, i believe his son has done that, at least the three times i saw him play this season....i think his sons development or basketball IQ is one of the best i've seen this season.....just my two cents

Reactions: IDCARE
@jvm3, I personally dont have a problem with pop cheering and yelling for his son, i think its awesome that his pop is involved and shows that unconditional love for his son....he's supposed to fight for his son....as for the pledge to display sportsmanship, i believe his son has done that, at least the three times i saw him play this season....i think his sons development or basketball IQ is one of the best i've seen.....just my two cents

@84rider respect your opinion. Always a solid poster. Nothing wrong with supporting players. As for sportsmanship I agree the young man has held up his end of the bargain.

@jvm3, i was kinda surprised by your post about pops, you are definitely a solid poster and contributor also...didnt want the beef with pops to get confused with the fact that imo Rawls will do good at the next level, i really like his smooth game. His basketball IQ is off the charts....knows how to keep his body between the ball and defender, nice form on the jumper, plays solid defense & seems to be in the right place at the right time on the court. sometimes when you are undermanned( due to size) guys try to do more and can play out of character because nobody else is stepping up their game. his body of work is still very good and i know you would agree, thanks & cheers

We all know Coaches don't and won't deal with parent Coaches. No harm just stating facts chill before he's in the stands beside you.

lol underdog247, i guarantee a D1 coach is not worried about pops and his yelling.....he aint the first one to do it and he wont be the last lol.....as for sitting next to or behind me, it really doesnt bother me...maybe its just me but i usually find it entertaining and crazy as it may seem, some of these pops know what they're talking about lmao...I get where you are coming from though i.e....time and place for everything....its all good though

lol underdog247, i guarantee a D1 coach is not worried about pops and his yelling.....he aint the first one to do it and he wont be the last lol.....as for sitting next to or behind me, it really doesnt bother me...maybe its just me but i usually find it entertaining and crazy as it may seem, some of these pops know what they're talking about lmao...I get where you are coming from though i.e....time and place for everything....its all good though

Yeah the Father has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. People can have their opinion of him but I would hope that professionals across the board know how to do their jobs whether that be a Receuiter, coach, a referree etc. If a recruiter needs to get talent they are only focused on the talent. Not the talents family. Rawls is a respectable kid on the court. And that's all that matters. A solid talent, great grades and a bright future.

Players..play. Coaches..coach. Parents..parent. Anytime those roles are clearly defined and boundaries are crossed....it is bad for the team. If a parent is a coach on a given staff, that is different. Parents yelling from stands a few times a week is a major NO-NO. They don't attend any practices and don't understand the coaches perspective. If a parent can do it...can a Mom? Uncle? Brother? Friends? That can of worms should not be opened. What if the coach and parent contradict each other? Which I am sure happens. Player then has to make decision. Not good, ever.

You got so much mouth behind this username. State who you really are ****ing coward. Probably a ****ing clown ref. The refs were terrible last night as they been all year. Rawls was getting fouled. The state got what they wanted. A down state team a chance to win a chip. They haven't won one in over 20 years. ****ing bums.

You do realize the title of this thread, right?

You do realize the title of this thread, right?

Its everyone and everything else's fault but not the players.. Sometimes it is possible the better team that night wins.. just saying... such a horrible message parents are teaching their kids these days.. TEAM means nothing, learning life lessons in a loss means nothing.. just blame others for you failings... great message..

Wait a min! Woodbridge didn't get the foul at all either. But who cares I know we could have won Not worrying. Henelopen had the best two teams in the state!! Not taking away from the other schools players. But dude Rawls isn't that player that's being honest. Good luck to both teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT