ADVERTISEMENT

Sallies Archmere

laxdeusa

moving up to Varsity
Apr 12, 2008
18 to 3 final. It got ugly early. Dillon Walker had 2 goals and 4 assists for 6 to 0 lead and all shots were from point blank range. Russell had no help at all. It was 8 to 0 after 1st. 13 to 1 at the half and 17 to 2 after 3

Thought it would be a much better game then it was. Seems like the Sals are in a league of their own

I have never seen such lopsided scores in games amongst Delaware top 7 competition. #2 CR +7, #3 Archmere +15, #4 TH +13, #5 Cape + 12, #6 Friends +10, # 7 St Marks +11. Scrimmaging their JV team may be the best competition they have seen in state this year.
This post was edited on 5/9 11:40 AM by oldlaxguy

It is clear the Sals are superior to all the top teams in Delaware. They would need to have catastrophic failures in multiple parts of their game to lose to anyone but CR. The CR game was much closer then the Sals blowouts against everyone else. The CR game was only 2 to 1 after the 1st and 8 to 4 after a scoreless 3rd. I remember back to 2008 when the Sals beat Cape in the season opener 10 to 2 and were undefeated going into the final that Cape won 8 to 7. Not saying that's going to happen again only that the Sals can't take anyone lightly. And from the way the Sals are playing I would not be surprised if every game they play in the tournament has a running clock by games end

Sallies may be the greatest team EVER...., but they still have to win the final. In both their championship losses to Cape and TH recently, they blew them both out during the regular season. That's why they play the game. Hopefully, it is a good final, whomever shows up.

The way Sallies has run through the competition this year is really similar to how the regular season went in 2008, so don't give them the title yet. Healey has lost the championship twice after undefeated regular seasons.
I still think CR played a Sallies that was still learning to play together after losing their tremendous seniors last year. TH and Arch ran into a Sals team clicking on all cylinders. But the CR Cape score really surprised me, props to CR on the big win. I thought the program there was on the downswing and that they would struggle this year, they've proved me wrong so far.
For any team to beat Sallies, it looks like they'll have to play their very best. Cape perfectly executed a fantastic game plan against the 2008 Sallies in the championship, and for the Sals to be upset this year, someone (probably CR, TH, or Arch) will probably have to play a perfect game.

Depending on tournament bracketing, the most interesting games will likely be the quarter and semi-finals. Any other Delaware team's perfect game will not beat the Sals this year, and likely for years to come. They simply have too much lax talent, depth, and athleticism. Their tournament upsets in recent years came during their building process. They are now built.

Thats bull, this year's Sallies team isn't any better than the '08, '09, or '10 teams. The level of top competition in the state has fallen, this year the state is definitely down from previous years. The quality of the top 4 or 5 teams (outside Sallies) is lower than previous years.
This post was edited on 5/9 8:12 PM by Alaxer46

Disagree - the difference in the Sallies team this year is they have 10 very strong starters - the previous teams each had a few weak spots (relatively speaking - not knocking any players) in the starting lineup. You see fewer balls dropped, fewer bad clears, fewer poor shots in 2012 than any of those previous years. That is why it will be so much harder to upset them in the playoffs -
This post was edited on 5/9 7:35 PM by DELax100

I think the midfield of this years Sallies team is better than past years, but the attack and close defense were a lot stronger. Manos was an absolute stud at goalie. I could see the debate over who is better between Rodgers and Barone.

I still go with Sallies has taken a step up. Tower-Archmere-Friends-Cape are about the same, with CR actually jumping up to that level (maybe higher) this year. In 2011 the T-A-F-C group did not lose to anyone else in the state other than Sallies and each other, including the playoffs. Same this year (with CR joining the group). - the gap between these 6 and the next level in the state is still very wide.

This may be the best team Sallies has ever had. If they run through the tournament like they have the last two weeks then it would be hard to vote against this team as the best Sals ever. I also think CR is better. The Auks TH and Cape appear to have taken a small step down.

The important improvement in Sallies game, and what separates them from the rest of Delaware is that they have no weak spot. Every player at every position (including all midfield lines) is a strong, confident true lax player (rather than just an off-season football or soccer player) who has learned to play at the top high school level. Perhaps more important is that they play like a team, rarely confused by man-ball decisions and feeding off of each other's triumphs. They covet the ball, expect to find it on the ground when they check an opponent, and are highly disciplined. Sideline coaching is minimal and instruction/correction intended to improve individual and team performance. It is fun to watch them play and it is obvious they are having fun playing. Finally, because they are battle-tested through playing (and losing to) higher calibre teams they will not unravel if they encounter difficulty or a new situation. I look for a continuous running clock for all or most of the second half even in the championship game. For perspective, against Delaware teams (except perhaps CR) they haven't even needed a goalie when their opponent only gets off 10 mediocre shots. I believe their only serious opponent from Delaware would be an all-star team from the entire rest of the state.

There is no way that sallies is having fun out there. Without there coaches they do not know what they have to do. Their coaches blow their whistles to instruct them exactly what they need to do in warmups. When they do not have their coaches blowing their whistle, all 50 varsity players watch giampeitro shoot. When they do not do what they are told in their game their assistant coach kicks their ass. Lots of fun out there.

laxerstud - successful players welcome and enjoy a disciplined practice and warm-up environment. Likewise, they expect to be held accountable by their coaches for their best effort and performance on and off the field. When capable, respected coaches hold ALL players continuously accountable it raises the performance bar for the entire team which results in elevated team morale. laxerstud, you've injested too much of that politically correct individuality, and self-esteem junk they feed you in public school (and liberal privates) to comprehend the value of conformity to achieve high standards. A few years in the military will do you a world of good.

Laxerstud...as a DMA player, I find it odd that you'd comment on the Salesianum approach. DMA doesn't even play Sallies. The Salesianum coaches must be doing something right - they had 100+ kids tryout for the program this year, including over 40 freshmen. The varsity team is loaded with freshmen and the winning tradition will continue.

I doubt that the Sallies LAX Coaches can here you...They got a couple of state championship Rings clogged up in their ears!
3dgrin.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT