ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinals

pksundevil

moving up to Varsity
Jan 11, 2006
St. G up 20-18 at half. Teams are a combined 4-16 on free throws. More practice at the line might have put one team in line to get to the title game! If I'm behind as a coach and I see that stat, I'm going to foul immediately every time the other team gets the ball.

Fundamentals the last 3 minutes, were awful. St G's should have cruised to victory but careless turnovers and dumb passes killed them. Foul shots were brutal, no one wanted to ball except for Rawls. Does anyone know St. G's coaches thought of no players on the foul lane?? Delcastle got sloppy and out of control St G's tried to give them the game. Both teams lose to either Mount or Sanford in my opinion.

Reactions: jvm3
This is surprisingly ugly basketball. 20-13 Sanford with about 2 minutes in the 3q. Both teams choosing a slow pace.

After all of the Mt. Pleasant talk they have just 13 pts or so after 3 qtrs? I didn't see them beating Sanford but I didn't expect this neither. Slowing the game down vs Sanford & getting a W would be tough because they are very well disciplined.

Sanford just has too much big time bball experience ..Mt P has some players but not the same thing,, Sanford wins.. and they will blow out St G.. and this is not really a great Sanford team.. just De is what it is

Reactions: jvm3 and Lomcfly
Did not expect Sanford to out rebound MP... Or Burnett to go 0-10 from the floor... And if you told me Sanford would have more turnovers and shoot under 50% from the FT line I would have predicted a loss. Weird game but a very disciplined effort from the Warriors.

hate to say it but Stan is just an amazing coach, he can get these guys to play all tempos of the game and rarely does he ever get outcoached, what do you all think of him stepping into Bruizer Flint from Drexel's shoes??

Reactions: handsdownmandown
Sorry, one more reply, may not be a great Sanford team as far a talent, but IMO it mat be one of the best Stan has put together as far as everyone understanding their roles and playing within a team concept. they all let Mikey do his thing and fill in the blanks. Reminds me of that 76ers team that went to finals with AI leading the way

Delcastle: Dorsey-4, Ward-14, Gray-Smith-5, Gould-17, Collins-6, Hussein-10, Cale-1
St Georges: Rawls-27, Brown-10, Harris-4, Hyland-7, Kent-4, Williams-2, Guild-4, McCants-2

Sanford: Dixon-21, Evans-7, Walsh-8, Ryle-2
Mt Pleasant: Burnett-3, Taylor-6, Myrick-2, Backus-4, Brown-5, Cramer-10

So what does this say about him? I was not that impressed with his game decisions or scoring prowess vs Newark, Sanford or in bhc chip game. Think he is still good but missing something. Could be coached better or highlighted better if he is a 1st teamer

hate to say it but Stan is just an amazing coach, he can get these guys to play all tempos of the game and rarely does he ever get outcoached, what do you all think of him stepping into Bruizer Flint from Drexel's shoes??

Stan is a great coach but that is quite a jump!

So what does this say about him?

To me it just says that he came up really small in two really big games. He's still a good player but I saw some mentions on this board of him as a possible player of the year candidate. I think we can lay that to rest.

Reactions: spartakos
To me neither team played well. Sanford just played better. Mount should of been came with the full court press and maybe a box and 1. Needed to be a little bit more aggressive with sanford. Dont know what happened after the first quarter.

I feel badly for Mount and for Burnett, but I've now seen him 5 times in the last 2 years - 3 playoff games and 2 regular season, and I have yet to see him do much of anything. I think he may have hit 1 or 2 total outside shots in those 5 games with very few assists and not much good ball handling. Never seen him score more than 5 points. Same for me with Jordan Allen. I've seen him 4 times and he really struggled in 3 of them. Mikey is my POY.

I thought defensively mount played well and did a good job on Mikey but Dixon is a great player I knew sooner or later he would find some offense. As for Mount all year depth was there strength and all year someone stepped up when they needed it but offensively tonight they didn't get it from anyone on the bench or a starter... I think the moment got the best of them tonight I feel for Burnett man going out like that but pick ya head up young hell of a 4 years! You accomplished a lot. When I seen you your freshman year I said this kid is gonna be the truth and led by you that program turned around. Don't let one game define you. You can let eat at you or use it as motivation. It's not the end until you say so, your best days are ahead of you! Congrats to Sanford Stan is a hell of a coach.

Reactions: spartakos and jvm3
Nobody expected St. Georges to go this far once they loss Lamar Hamrick. People keep writing this team off and not giving them respect. Respect is not given but they damn sure are earning every last bit of respect. Good game SG. Survive & Advance is the name of the game in March.

This was hard to watch...

Neither team played very well. It was as much Mount losing than Sanford winning.

All year Mounts depth was a benefit. Not sure about last night. The team was having problems finding a rhythm and then here comes two more subs. Another minute, another sub. I know that's how it was all season but last night it might have backfired. They never had any momentum. Got tight and then it looked nobody wanted the ball. Finally loosened up in last couple minutes but too late.

two odd things stood out to me last night. kyson rawls conditioning, and his poor free throw shooting. Both of those will cost st. georges a championship on saturday. I honestly don't know if they will even matter come fourth quarter.

Also last night was the third time I've seen burnett and all of those performances were the same. Mt. Had a good game plan but as well as they play defense sanford does the same but they have a horse they can lean on.

I probably saw Burnett play 6-8 times in his time at MTP. Only remember one of those games where he did much of anything. That was his freshman year when he single handedly took down Newark in Newark's gym. I left that game pretty impressed. But each time after that, other than a game winning shot I saw him make at Hodgson his sophomore year (in yet another game where he didn't do much of anything), I never saw what I saw that night in Newark. Having said that, I follow box scores and see that he has had some very productive games. He's been a HUGE part of MTPs success and I agree with what Briggs said above. Even though he was struggling offensively last night, maybe last night was the night to just leave the kid in there to see if he could find his game. It was his final game I think he deserved that. Dixon struggled early .You didn't see him go to the bench.

I probably saw Burnett play 6-8 times in his time at MTP. Only remember one of those games where he did much of anything. That was his freshman year when he single handedly took down Newark in Newark's gym. I left that game pretty impressed. But each time after that, other than a game winning shot I saw him make at Hodgson his sophomore year (in yet another game where he didn't do much of anything), I never saw what I saw that night in Newark. Having said that, I follow box scores and see that he has had some very productive games. He's been a HUGE part of MTPs success and I agree with what Briggs said above. Even though he was struggling offensively last night, maybe last night was the night to just leave the kid in there to see if he could find his game. It was his final game I think he deserved that. Dixon struggled early .You didn't see him go to the bench.

Talked to a friend who went last night. Only game he has seen all season. First thing he said: "Mount was playing great the first couple minutes. Why did they started taking guys out? When you got it going you don't mess with it." I said that's what they did all year. He shook his head and said he didn't get it.

Hard to argue with him...

two odd things stood out to me last night. kyson rawls conditioning, and his poor free throw shooting. Both of those will cost st. georges a championship on saturday. I honestly don't know if they will even matter come fourth quarter.

Also last night was the third time I've seen burnett and all of those performances were the same. Mt. Had a good game plan but as well as they play defense sanford does the same but they have a horse they can lean on.

I was saying same about Rawls. He makes a great play, makes 4-5 straight FTs. Then makes a play that makes you shake your head and misses both ends of clutch 2 shot FTs.

But I do agree that it has to have something to do with his minutes and how much he handles the ball. He carries the team. You have to give him credit. He has stepped up to fill Hamrick loss.

I was saying same about Rawls. He makes a great play, makes 4-5 straight FTs. Then makes a play that makes you shake your head and misses both ends of clutch 2 shot FTs.

But I do agree that it has to have something to do with his minutes and how much he handles the ball. He carries the team. You have to give him credit. He has stepped up to fill Hamrick loss.
St. G could use Maggie Connelly from Ursuline. She went to the line 3 times in the last 28 seconds tonight with her team up by one point and the whole Bob screaming. Nothing but net on 6 straight shots! Ice water! How can St. G shoot 11-30 at the line?!!

Reactions: Dropping 3's
St. G could use Maggie Connelly from Ursuline. She went to the line 3 times in the last 28 seconds tonight with her team up by one point and the whole Bob screaming. Nothing but net on 6 straight shots! Ice water! How can St. G shoot 11-30 at the line?!!

Funny. Mount had no shot in that game. Not saying it post facto (for the scholars on the board). I posted earlier that Sanford would roll and they did.

Funny. Mount had no shot in that game. Not saying it post facto (for the scholars on the board). I posted earlier that Sanford would roll and they did.

I was surprised by how many ppl were picking Mt. Pleasant. On another note...granted being from downstate I didn't get to see Mount as much as others but over the past 2 yrs I have made sure I checked Burnett & Mt. Pleasant out about 5-6 times or so cuz of the hype & I told a few people down this way that he had not stood out to me as I expected from the hype BUT that as a team Mt. Pleasant was very solid. I think those other guys on Mount deserve a lot of credit for their TEAM success these last couple of years...they have one of the most complete TEAMS that I have seen in a while that Burnett just happens to be the leader of. No Sanford = Mt. Pleasant State Champs...but the odds are against you when you are facing Sanford @ the Bob most of the time.

Mount certainly had a shot in this game. Come on. The team that played last night wasn't the team that played during the regular season. And give credit to Sanford. But Mount went almost 13 minutes without scoring and only lost by 8.

Mount certainly had a shot in this game. Come on. The team that played last night wasn't the team that played during the regular season. And give credit to Sanford. But Mount went almost 13 minutes without scoring and only lost by 8.

@BriggsBeall I understand what you are saying but that most certainly has to go both ways right? I mean was that Sanford team that played last night the team that played during the regular season? And I'd assume that Mount not scoring for 13 minutes would also have to say something about Sanford's D which is where their game planning usually starts.

Nobody expected St. Georges to go this far once they loss Lamar Hamrick. People keep writing this team off and not giving them respect. Respect is not given but they damn sure are earning every last bit of respect. Good game SG. Survive & Advance is the name of the game in March.

I expected them to go far. You are not a helpful influence to kids based on what you post.
You should go back to school and take the kids you care about with you.

@BriggsBeall I understand what you are saying but that most certainly has to go both ways right? I mean was that Sanford team that played last night the team that played during the regular season? And I'd assume that Mount not scoring for 13 minutes would also have to say something about Sanford's D which is where their game planning usually starts.

I absolutely give Sanford some credit. They are a good team and Stan a terrific coach.

But I've seen a lot of games over many years and could count on one hand teams getting shut out for a whole quarter. Let alone almost 13 minutes. Seen games where teams lose by 30 and not get shut out for a quarter. So you can credit Sanford sure. But it's more of a fluke to me. Probably never see it happen again.

Shame it happened in a tournament game...

I absolutely give Sanford some credit. They are a good team and Stan a terrific coach.

But I've seen a lot of games over many years and could count on one hand teams getting shut out for a whole quarter. Let alone almost 13 minutes. Seen games where teams lose by 30 and not get shut out for a quarter. So you can credit Sanford sure. But it's more of a fluke to me. Probably never see it happen again.

Shame it happened in a tournament game...

@BriggsBeall The irony of this statement literally is that I was on a team that got beat by 36 (record) in the State Championship & the score was 12-12 after the first qtr so we basically got beat by 36 n 3 qtrs but we did score in every qtr...LoL. Basketball was totally different back then though...totally different as in the team we loss to was loaded w/ talent vs having 1 kid that was D1.

Reactions: Chesdel and jvm3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT