ADVERTISEMENT

Smyrna vs Cape-Officiating BRUTAL

Jan 18, 2017
JT Davis freshman from Symrna at 138 vs V Diego Sr from Cape... Diego stalled for over 2 periods, backed off the mat 4x, no calls. End of the match it's 4-3 Diego and Davis shoots, takes down Diego with 2 seconds left. Lobozo calls 2 points take down, then waives if off as Diego was fleeing the mat and diving out of bounds. Absolute disgrace for an official to steal a match from a freshman.

Reactions: TrueBlue16
SuperG261
JT Davis freshman from Symrna at 138 vs V Diego Sr from Cape... Diego stalled for over 2 periods, backed off the mat 4x, no calls. End of the match it's 4-3 Diego and Davis shoots, takes down Diego with 2 seconds left. Lobozo calls 2 points take down, then waives if off as Diego was fleeing the mat and diving out of bounds. Absolute disgrace for an official to steal a match from a freshman.

Lobozzo made the correct call. Hopefully your freshmen will learn to shoot b4 the last 2 secs.

Reactions: myrealname
SuperG261

Lobozzo made the correct call. Hopefully your freshmen will learn to shoot b4 the last 2 secs.
.2 seconds still on the clock after thr take down. And at least Diego should have been called for stalling gor diving out of bounds...That combined with the other 4 times he backed off the mat...STALLING - horrible calls

I didn't see the match and don't care who won, La Bozo has always been below average! I remember him yelling at me to watch my mouth, cause he's "King"when he's on the mat... saw him at Sports Zone years later.. like a little puppy dog!

Reactions: SuperG261
Saw the match, agree with you 100%. It was 2 years ago but I still remember when my son was on the receiving end of his garbage calls as a freshman in a big match. It's disheartening for a kid.

Reactions: SuperG261
If that one call is going to define your sons career or not allow him to learn and grow as an athlete then he's not gonna be very good. Don't leave it in the officials hands is my best advice.
No one said anything about defining a career- on that inept officiating screwed a kid

I did not see the match, so I can not make an opinion on the call. With that being said, Labozzo is one of the best refs in the state IMO and has always done well. If he made the wrong call he was in rare form and mistakes happen: if it was close then more than likely it was the correct call considering his track record. I know you feel you have been robbed, but like I tell my wrestlers, when your my age and us washed up wrestlers speak, it is rare we speak about prior duel meets or tournaments, we talk about what happened in conferences and states where you truly leave your mark in the sport.

thumbnail_IMG_3328_zpsfpkqbncn.jpg

"My kid was robbed by a 5 foot tall Italian man in a striped shirt. I want my 2 points back."

Last edited:
No dog in the fight but here's the video:

Since DePreps won't let me post the link without turning it into embedded media and the media is not able to play embedded, go to the 59:00 mark.

Mommy or daddy take that crap back to Smyrna. Right call! The fact that no Smyrna kids were called for unsportsmanlike conduct is a miracle in itself. Joe L made correct calls and is a quality ref. Don't blame him for your kids loss!

Reactions: Brainski
You guys are crazy! Joe is one of the best officials we have in Delaware. The thing is, when a call is close, there's always going to be someone that doesn't agree. I've only been involved in wrestling for 32-33 years (28 as a coach) so granted I don't know much! I've had people ask if I'd ever want to officiate and posts like this are the exact reason I wouldn't want anything to do with it. I have nothing but respect for the guys that do. I'd strongly suggest that any of you that think you can do a better job, contact the DWOA. They are always looking for new blood in the organization! If you don't try it than can you really judge them? As for the match, I watched and the no takedown was correct. The young man from smyrnas knees hit outside of the circle from what I saw. That said, great match by Smyrna! They showed up with a chip on their shoulder and backed it up. We may see that match again in state duals.

Watch the video and you'll see the person with the best view of when the knees hit out of bounds was the official. He was in perfect position to make the call. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Bdaddy13
Knees come down out of bounds. Good call and I personally think the ref did a great job of officiating. It was a big match of high intensity wrestling out of Smyrna nobody is perfect, but in this situation by rule he made the correct call

Last edited:
Could not agree more 87. It's like these guys who claim that cops were wrong when they are over aggressive or God forbid shoot someone. Walk a mile in their shoes and then judge. I may not always agree with them but I appreciate what they do and how hard it can be to please everyone. Joe is a very good official.

Reactions: Bdaddy13
Bad call, no stalling calls equals bad officiating. And the referee himself told people that he didn't think Davis had the left ankle. So maybe he needs to get in better position or let the second official their help him since he's incompetent.

just watched it, it was the correct call. then the Smyrna kid did not want to shake hands, lose with class.... this video does not help your case.

Last edited:
You guys are crazy! Joe is one of the best officials we have in Delaware. The thing is, when a call is close, there's always going to be someone that doesn't agree. I've only been involved in wrestling for 32-33 years (28 as a coach) so granted I don't know much! I've had people ask if I'd ever want to officiate and posts like this are the exact reason I wouldn't want anything to do with it. I have nothing but respect for the guys that do. I'd strongly suggest that any of you that think you can do a better job, contact the DWOA. They are always looking for new blood in the organization! If you don't try it than can you really judge them? As for the match, I watched and the no takedown was correct. The young man from smyrnas knees hit outside of the circle from what I saw. That said, great match by Smyrna! They showed up with a chip on their shoulder and backed it up. We may see that match again in state duals.
Also, the far leg came out after just a beat so both legs may not have been secured long enough. But looking at video is different from the slit second decisions that have to be made out there. When you're right in front of Cape bench and a leg comes out, it's an easy wave off IMO.

IMO....Joe is probably the best official we have in the state. Officiating wrestling isn't as easy as it looks it's really not , I'm disputing a bad call or not but the fact is mistakes are made and will be made by but to just bad mouth a official like Joe like what Ive been reading here I think it's uncalled for. Just my opinion.

Reactions: wtc76 and concord87
Was able to get this screen grab and appears the ankle came out instantly. Bang bang call but looks like it was the right one. Best of luck to both young men the rest of the year. Guessing they wrestle a few more times!
33419xf.jpg
33419xf.jpg
[/IMG]

JL by far one our best officials. I was at the match and felt it was the right call. As close as it was it was the right call. At the college level may be different but in high school you must secure both legs with reaction time .

So if indeed both ankles were secure at the time of the period it would have been two. The leg came out .2 on clock Therefore no takedown.

As far as stalling goes pretty tough when your officiating and watching both wrestlers compete. There are a lot of factors that go into making that call.

There are appropriate ways to make your point. I tend not to vent my frustrations on this forum as it certainly does not change anything or make life any easier on the athletes In question.

Go back to practice watch the film make adjustments fo nextte . Keep working hard and tell all of your wrestlers if you are working your moves and earning points then we don't have to worry about a late stall point to tie a match.

Only thing you can do is stay center don't chase and keep attacking . Eventually you will earn the appropriate call. Go get em!!

I watched the match live and re watched the video on youtube several times.. I agree with the call. While both toes were in bounds initially- he quickly dropped to a knee which then becomes his supporting limb. This is the reason why the terminology "beyond reaction time" is included when scoring these kinds of things, not to mention the question of whether or not both ankles were secured in time.. As for JL, can't comment on that but have had a couple disagreements over the years... have with almost every ref. Part of the sport, can't leave it in their hands.

I always felt the ref's did not call stalling quick enough. I now watch my nephew wrestle in another state, the ref's here call it right away. Good luck to all in the coming weeks and months.
Damn Concorde, you have been coaching for 28 years, what are you about 30 or 31?

Reactions: concord87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT