ADVERTISEMENT

Snow & baseball don't mix

DE-Sussex

Good all around Player
May 14, 2008
Got about 6" of snow here in Milford area last night. That'll put a damper on the ball playing for a few days! How bout other areas?

Seems like Sussex County was 4-6 inches in most place. It won't take long for it to melt this time of year, but a lot of these fields have to be so saturated. Wonder how many will be ready by the weekend.

From what I've seen, most of the snow has already melted on fields that aren't shaded (in NCC). There are still 16 games on the schedule for tomorrow. I'm guessing that will change.

There were four games played yesterday, which was a bit surprising to me as it was snowing in NCCO at game time. Would love to hear from any fans who attended those games. Conditions had to be rough! Looking at record lows tonight.

The true fans watch games in all conditions. LOL. I was out watching the game in the snow at Hodgson. Snow coming down pretty hard during the game. Heard players had trouble seeing the ball. The game between Appo&Hodgson had close to 30 k's combined. Even if it was "snow aided", the pitchers from both teams looked really good (Walter & Silvestri).

I played a game when I was a kid and it started snowing. They stopped the game because it was dangerous. If you are having trouble seeing a ball coming out of a pitchers hand it is really dangerous. Almost as if they were throwing from closer than 60 feet. Think about a decent high school pitcher throwing from 55. The 84 mph fastball just became a 91 mph fastball based on reaction time.

Saw Silvestri pitch a complete game victory vs Caravel last year. Kid looked tough as nails that night. Apparently Walter had 17 K's for Hodgson. What's his deal? All those K's can't be attributed to the snow, can they?

Silvestri looked really good against Hodgson, his team just didn't hit for him.

Walter seemed to be ahead in the count with every appo batter. I don't recall him walking anyone. It seemed like he was throwing first pitch strikes every time, but Appo almost never swung. Then he had them off balance the rest of the at bats. I'm sure the snow didn't help, but it looked to me like a pitcher that was on fire, he was accurate and smart.

Both pitchers i thought were equally impressive this early in the season and especially considering the conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT