ADVERTISEMENT

STATE TOURNAMENT Proposal

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
I think we should increase the number of teams that make the tourney this year.

I know some purists might say its already watered down with teams that arent exactly competitive. Others say we can't extend the season any longer.

My Proposal.

Add 8 teams, to make it 24 total teams with the top 8 teams getting a first round bye. This way no decent teams get left out and you make the first round a little more competitive.

Every year decent teams get left out of the playoffs because of the playoff points issues. Teams last year like Conrad (13-5), Sallies (10-8), Smyrna (13-5), Cape (11-7), St Georges (13-5), Mt Pleasant (13-5), Middletown (10-8), Glasgow (10-8). I'm not saying any of these teams would of won it all, and maybe some had easier schedules to obtain those records. But i think they did enough to make the tourney. Teams would have to be .500 or better though to make the tourney.

Some might say "watering down" the tourney will make the tourney worse. It could make for some pretty competitive games in the first round. Instead of the #16 team playing the #1 seed and the #2 seed playing the #15 seed for example in those non competitive games. I would much rather see the the top 8 teams get the bye. Then you have #9 playing #24, #10 playing #23 etc. I think it would be good to give these extra 8 teams a chance to taste the playoffs and it would make for some competitive first round games.

FORGET 2 DIVISIONS

why does basketball get 24??

baseball should also--adds 1 date-oops diaa might have to work 1 more day

I would agree with the .500 or better record. They should not limit the amount of teams either. Byes should be decided by the amount of teams that qualify. Should do it in basketball too. All it would do in basketball was change the amount of first round games year to year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT