ADVERTISEMENT

States Saturday

Agree with some of that. Sportsmanship was iffy with some teams. The shushing was low class imo but maybe there’s some history we aren’t aware of. Schneider was impressive, little Nat beating Gray was a good one and with no disrespect to Hudson but felt Shirmer shoulda got a stall call in OT. Know it’s not a popular call but happens. What do I know tho ;) :(
I come to DEPreps periodically to read people’s comments on things, and I have always particularly appreciated your assessment of the general state of wrestling. 285 was reffed very inconsistently and Shirmer took one on the chin for it. Even though he still had a chance at the end, It should never go down the way that did. Latch was amazing, and showed a ton of poise at the right time. Good for him. Lots of good matches all around.
For four years I have watched Handlin get away with punching, jawing, deliberately trying to hurt other kids, and just being a general poor sport. I passed it of as him being a kid early on, but it has actually gotten worse now that he is an adult. Watching him have a tantrum because he was losing was an embarrassment that actually paled in comparison to getting booed out of your own gym. Davis showed good composure, and I feel bad his accomplishment got overshadowed by a repeat offender.
Also, can we start having states on neutral ground somewhere? Why not Del-State? Is there something I’m missing here (cost?) I mean don’t get me wrong, the beach has all the good beer, but it’s hardly the center of the state.

Agree with some of that. Sportsmanship was iffy with some teams. The shushing was low class imo but maybe there’s some history we aren’t aware of. Schneider was impressive, little Nat beating Gray was a good one and with no disrespect to Hudson but felt Shirmer shoulda got a stall call in OT. Know it’s not a popular call but happens. What do I know tho ;) :(
I was wondering about that too- if it could have been stalling but I went back and watched the match and timed each one- all less than 4 seconds (though it seemed much longer live!)

Finals were great. Give A Poore and Hall their due. Neither are flamboyant and get much talk but they both just go about their business and take care of it. Which they did and both are very humble and good kids. Disappointed Gray lost but have to give nod to Nat. Nat was well coached and knew what was coming and countered it well. Good learning experience for Gray. My guy Harry I always liked that kid. I knew he had the it factor. Fought through injuries and adversity but damn he blew the roof off the place. Well done sir well done. Before the Latch match I had Giampietro as the OW. That kid was aggressive even with a big lead he just kept coming. Like a gnat. Little peeved the cape crowd (student section) left after Caruso match and missed Harry’s big send off and they didn’t even stay to see Caruso get his medal?. Weird. Why were they even there then. To chant “we are here”? Lol ok. All that said it was very enjoyable. Can’t wait for next year. By the way as I type this I am beachfront listening to the waves crash with my Mrs. Life is good

Last edited:
Reactions: Eighthplace
I have been to alot of state championships including Hershey del state st marks dover central AC east rutherford jadwin and even albany once. Last night was one of best atmospheres. Wrestling and reffing were top notch and fans were really into it for not just their kids but all kids. My two cents

I have been to alot of state championships including Hershey del state st marks dover central AC east rutherford jadwin and even albany once. Last night was one of best atmospheres. Wrestling and reffing were top notch and fans were really into it for not just their kids but all kids. My two cents
I agree. I believe upstate/downstate were 7-7 in champions and the parity at most weights was fun to watch. Besides the cape/Cr match at 152 semi finals I can’t think of any other craziness.

I agree. I believe upstate/downstate were 7-7 in champions and the parity at most weights was fun to watch. Besides the cape/Cr match at 152 semi finals I can’t think of any other craziness.
Your kids had a good tournament.
Was happy to see. Called it at 120 lol The laurel/cr dad is certainly high strung but a good dude just loses his mind occasionally.Upstate has definitely closed the gap with henlopen , and totally agree with lots of toss up finals

I come to DEPreps periodically to read people’s comments on things, and I have always particularly appreciated your assessment of the general state of wrestling. 285 was reffed very inconsistently and Shirmer took one on the chin for it. Even though he still had a chance at the end, It should never go down the way that did. Latch was amazing, and showed a ton of poise at the right time. Good for him. Lots of good matches all around.
For four years I have watched Handlin get away with punching, jawing, deliberately trying to hurt other kids, and just being a general poor sport. I passed it of as him being a kid early on, but it has actually gotten worse now that he is an adult. Watching him have a tantrum because he was losing was an embarrassment that actually paled in comparison to getting booed out of your own gym. Davis showed good composure, and I feel bad his accomplishment got overshadowed by a repeat offender.
Also, can we start having states on neutral ground somewhere? Why not Del-State? Is there something I’m missing here (cost?) I mean don’t get me wrong, the beach has all the good beer, but it’s hardly the center of the state.
I’ll give my 2 cents...
At 285, as someone else said, knowing the ref as I do, it’s gotta be blantant running for him to decide a state championship on a stall call. As a wrestling fan I don’t wanna see it happen. Was close but in the end he had 30 seconds to get out and seemed to take the loss like a champ.

At 182 it’s impossible from the bleachers to know what happened or what was said. Hate to see a state final end in booing any kid. Again no clue what actually happened between them but Davis wrestled tough.

As for venue, Cape really does an amazing job hosting. Friday night was a little crazy and overcrowded, but a good problem for the sport. As an update coach, trust me I’d love a neutral site. There’s a definite advantage being able to sleep in your own bed without 100 other kids in the same hotel at times lol. I didn’t hate st marks but it’s not as big as cape. Del state doesn’t support the sport, so the sport stopped supporting Del state. We’ve also probably outgrown that venue. UD is only worried about the $, but DIAA manages to have the basketball tournaments there, so not really sure what is stopping them from having wrestling there too. I’m sure someone on here may know the answer. While they also don’t support our, states at the Bob would be awesome for the fans and kids!

With all of that said, well done to all of the kids this weekend. Was one of the best state tournaments I’ve watched in years. The finals were fun to watch and the crowd was great!

Was happy to see. Called it at 120 lol The laurel/cr dad is certainly high strung but a good dude just loses his mind occasionally.Upstate has definitely closed the gap with henlopen , and totally agree with lots of toss up finals
Thanks @Leverage1991. Kyle (120) is a great kid and works harder than anyone in the room. I really wanted this for him! He was 3-3 with ankrom when he got pinned. You did call it weeks ago! I was in the far corner when that all went down at 152 so wasn't even sure who all was involved.

I saw the whole thing first hand.. yea he’s absolutely a high strung and super competitive guy it seems but i was in the bleachers right there and despite what people say- he wasn’t the aggressor. He surprisingly took the CR kid and walked out of the gym as the cape parents attempted to go after them. I couldn’t tell you what happened to cause that incident other than a tight match and a few calls Cape didn’t like (I do agree with the calls though). It wasn’t a good look for cape though- from my perspective it looked like a grown man trying to attack a 17 year old but I’m sure there’s more to it that others can shed light on.

I saw the whole thing first hand.. yea he’s absolutely a high strung and super competitive guy it seems but i was in the bleachers right there and despite what people say- he wasn’t the aggressor. He surprisingly took the CR kid and walked out of the gym as the cape parents attempted to go after them. I couldn’t tell you what happened to cause that incident other than a tight match and a few calls Cape didn’t like (I do agree with the calls though). It wasn’t a good look for cape though- from my perspective it looked like a grown man trying to attack a 17 year old but I’m sure there’s more to it that others can shed light on.
Sallies had a good tournament. So did caravel, they were well coached. Nice to see jordan sianni getting after it as as coach. Always one of my favorite scrappers

man its crazy how young caravel is, if they get a little more up top they will be the very hard to beat. and competitors tend to migrate to talented teams so i won’t be surprised if some good kids end up there next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT