ADVERTISEMENT

States

hoopsupstate

Tackles too high
Jan 27, 2017
Now that the regular season is coming to a close. What team do you think will win it all and what team do you think could be a sleeper.

From what I've seen, I think any of these teams could win it all. A lot will have to do with the seeds.

Smyrna
Mount Pleasant
Newark
St. Georges
Hodgson
St Tommy
Glasgow

From what I've seen, I think any of these teams could win it all. A lot will have to do with the seeds.

Smyrna
Mount Pleasant
Newark
St. Georges
Hodgson
St Tommy
Glasgow
Its all about the seedings..

Smyrna
Mount Pleasant
Newark
St. Georges
Hodgson
St Tommy
Glasgow

After tonight there may be a chance that you might want to add Woodbridge to that list if they can handle their business vs Glasgow. Most people upstate have not seen them but they can go.

After tonight there may be a chance that you might want to add Woodbridge to that list if they can handle their business vs Glasgow. Most people upstate have not seen them but they can go.
Like you said, maybe if they win tonight. I didn't include them because I don't really see a quality win on their resume this year.

If Sanford beats Hodgson.... Book it, Stan will win again.... Already has beaten Smyrna, Glasgow and Sals

I have said that I wouldn't count them out even on a down year like this year for them being led by a freshman. I think the chatter on the board about them not even making it to the Bob is more so wishful thinking because they don't want to see them win.

I heard Revelle from St Thomas more is gone.. failed off the team. If that is true.. they won't win in the playoffs

Who has St. Thomas More Beaten since loosing Revelle tho? McKean? Dickinson? D.A.P.P.S? LOL

St. Thomas More hasn't played many in-state opponents so their best win since losing Revelle was a win over a pretty good Penn Wood (PA) team that was coming off of a win over PA power Chester (Chester beat Newark this year). Penn Wood has not loss a game since the loss to STMA. Besides that I was in attendance to see them beat Milford handily without Revelle. They will be in position to get a first round bye looking at a top 4 seed & will only need to win a home game to reach the quarterfinals at The Bob.

Last edited:
St Thomas Is 11-0 In State.. the talent they have played in state is questionable but their out of state talent they played are legit

I have said that I wouldn't count them out even on a down year like this year for them being led by a freshman. I think the chatter on the board about them not even making it to the Bob is more so wishful thinking because they don't want to see them win.

That's exactly what it is. I think people are tired of seeing Sanford on top, but when there's not a dominant team in the field this year and you've got arguably the state's greatest coach and a POY candidate for a freshman, that can be enough to at least get to the Final Four.

Why don't they play tougher in state opponents? I agree playing out of state opponents. If scheduled right it can be a different level to judge teams on but I think it should be paired with the toughest Delaware has to offer.

St. Thomas More hasn't played many in-state opponents so their best win since losing Revelle was a win over a pretty good Penn Wood (PA) team that was coming off of a win over PA power Chester (Chester beat Newark this year). Penn Wood has not loss a game since the loss to STMA. Besides that I was in attendance to see them beat Milford handily without Revelle. They will be in position to get a first round bye looking at a top 4 seed & will only need to win a home game to reach the quarterfinals at The Bob.
Looks like Revelle played in the game vs Penn Wood

Sorry you a
Where does it look like that at? Revelle did not play & is not even in the box score vs Penn Wood.
you are correct. Was looking at the game before penn wood vs wildwood Catholic. Again don't see them beating top upstate teams without Scott and Revelle tho

Sorry you a

you are correct. Was looking at the game before penn wood vs wildwood Catholic. Again don't see them beating top upstate teams without Scott and Revelle tho

I wonder why you think so highly of the "good" upstate teams

Mount lost to Sallies
St. Georges lost to William Penn and crushed by an average philly team
Smyrna lost to Sanford and lost to horrible Baltimore team
Sanford crushed by terrible PA team
Hodgson lost to Appo and St.E's
Newark's performance vs Mount was deplorable

Moral of the story nobody is really "that good"

Mount lost to Sallies

Or is it that there are a lot of quality teams…

I think the chatter on the board about them not even making it to the Bob is more so wishful thinking because they don't want to see them win.
Or, maybe the chatter is based on seeing them play, and they don't look as good as some of the other top teams in the state. Example, I don't think they are as good as either of the teams I saw last night (Glasgow, Woodbridge).

@EducatedEye

The PA team Sanford lost to is 19-3 ranked #2 in PA and first place in the Philly Catholic League. Not terrible.
I agree Delaware high school basketball is very competitive this year but no one is really good.
Brackets will mean everything this year.

Mount lost to Sallies

Not thinking so highly but going off of history as YOU should know EE. Downstate teams usually don't win it vs good upstate teams at the Bob. Moral of the story is no Scott or Revelle spells trouble against st. G, hvt, Newark and other teams u mentioned regardless of what happened during regular season.

Not thinking so highly but going off of history as YOU should know EE. Downstate teams usually don't win it vs good upstate teams at the Bob. Moral of the story is no Scott or Revelle spells trouble against st. G, hvt, Newark and other teams u mentioned regardless of what happened during regular season.

But that doesn't mean Downstate won't have the best player. De teams 40 mins up road and swear you guys got 30 d1 players. Miles Cale I'll give respect he has good offer don't know how much clock he will get in college but it's a proud accomplishment. Ali Cramer they have 2 years after its sky's the limit. Money is also great player. If you guys don't stop hyping St George's players man. Where is a 6"0 guard going with there skill set fellows stop y'all bs. De is struggling now. It's embarrssing

Or, maybe the chatter is based on seeing them play, and they don't look as good as some of the other top teams in the state. Example, I don't think they are as good as either of the teams I saw last night (Glasgow, Woodbridge).

Newsflash...Sanford already beat Glasgow in a game that they were up by as many as 20. I'm willing to bet that you don't think that they look as good as Smyrna & Sallies too right? Yeah...beat both of those teams as well. I guess that "eye test" can be deceiving sometimes. Not crowning them champs or even the favorite but I like their chances against the other top teams this year.

Last edited:
But that doesn't mean Downstate won't have the best player. De teams 40 mins up road and swear you guys got 30 d1 players. Miles Cale I'll give respect he has good offer don't know how much clock he will get in college but it's a proud accomplishment. Ali Cramer they have 2 years after its sky's the limit. Money is also great player. If you guys don't stop hyping St George's players man. Where is a 6"0 guard going with there skill set fellows stop y'all bs. De is struggling now. It's embarrssing[
Lol.. Correct

Newsflash...Sanford already beat Glasgow in a game that they were up by as many as 20. I'm willing to bet that you don't think that they look as good as Smyrna & Sallies too right? Yeah...beat both of those teams as well. Not crowning them champs or even the favorite but I like their chances against the other top teams this year.

Sanford game plan and play can go at the state chip . They work

@EducatedEye

The PA team Sanford lost to is 19-3 ranked #2 in PA and first place in the Philly Catholic League. Not terrible.
I agree Delaware high school basketball is very competitive this year but no one is really good.
Brackets will mean everything this year.

Was referring to Hatboro-Horsham who's 12-10 (53ppg)

Side note(s): also lost to Friends
Episcopal team they lost to is 12-12 3-7 in their own conference
St. Vincent Palloti team they lost to is 11-13 2-5 in their own conference

Last edited:
Can I see Sanford winning 4 in a row? Not really. The problem is I can't see anyone easily winning 4 in a row... that's why this year looks so open. Some favorites are likely to find themselves behind in games- how do they respond? Mount has the experience of coming very close last year- that ought to give them a big edge.

Rufo and McCollum had 23 combined in the win over Glasgow and 24 combined in the win over Smyrna... if they can produce like that as the next two options after Davis, Sanford will be a tough out. But again- I think this is likely anyone's year.

For all we know, St. Mark's might be primed for a run- in their last 6 games, the only loss is by 2 to Sallies. Their defense is astonishing- in 6 of the last 20 quarters (5 games) they've held opponents to 2 points or less.... and it doesn't appear to be only from slowing it down as 5 of those 6 quarters they scored 10 points or more.

Newsflash...Sanford already beat Glasgow in a game that they were up by as many as 20. I'm willing to bet that you don't think that they look as good as Smyrna & Sallies too right? Yeah...beat both of those teams as well. I guess that "eye test" can be deceiving sometimes. Not crowning them champs or even the favorite but I like their chances against the other top teams this year.
They only beat Glasgow by 11. The first game of the season. Glasgow didn't start playing well until later in their season. I haven't seen Sallies so I can't comment on them. Sanford beat them 36-30. Doesn't sound like either team played that well that night. I've seen Sanford once this season. I saw one really good player surrounded by a bunch of average players and their guard play was downright weak. But that is a one game sample size.

If it was a wide open field last year, except for Sanford, it looks even more so this year. One correct statement I have seen is that "downstate" teams usually don't win at the BOB. True for 2 reasons, #1, the best teams tend to reside up north and then there are the privates that dwell north of the canal as well. But let me add this, #2 is a real issue. When fans of downstate teams literally have to stand in line, in the hopes of getting a ticket, that's Bull**it. The fact that they have made it a money grab for the DIAA is a shame. 500 tickets should be given to each participating team to sell to their own. Not this crap of trying to line up and hoping to get in.
I get it, it's a real bargain for those upstate fans that can sit there all day and have a 15 minute ride home. But to shut out fans of a participating team is BS>

That really isn't true. U can hustle on over to the Bob and sell your ticket if your team doesn't make it. Down here, that just isn't possible.

That really isn't true. U can hustle on over to the Bob and sell your ticket if your team doesn't make it. Down here, that just isn't possible.
Even living 15 miles away the cost of gas and the pain to sell them would not be worth it for $8.
The games at the Bob are the highlight of the basketball season. I buy all 3 sessions every year. Don't care who is playing.

Even living 15 miles away the cost of gas and the pain to sell them would not be worth it for $8.
The games at the Bob are the highlight of the basketball season. I buy all 3 sessions every year. Don't care who is playing.
I couldn't agree more one the best basketball of the year statement, and just as I drove from Smyrna to Cape everyday for slam dunk to the beach I'll watch every game at the Bob. There's going to be some great match ups

Yes, because you live there. That is kind of the point. I still come back to my original statement, why not give the teams that have to travel tickets to sell to their fans once they make it to the Bob? It's not that hard. IF they don't sell, they would be up at the box office before the opening tip of the first game.

Reactions: soccer07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT