ADVERTISEMENT

Title Game Predictions

SmallWonderSports

Tackles too high
Nov 17, 2012
D1: Truly a toss up for me. Smyrna has grown a great deal from the beginning of the year and their week 1 loss at Middletown. Will Knight is a man on a mission and Wilson seems to have gotten more comfortable since the early season struggles. Knight willed those guys last year as Henderson watched from the sideline for much of the second half and threw the ball very minimally. Middletown on the other hand is looking for redemption of bigger sorts after last year. Fry is the real deal and he’s surrounded by a great deal of talent. With that being said, I’m leaning the best player in Delaware since Sam Cotton. Give me Smyrna 34-28.

D2: Similar to D1, another rematch and the old saying “It’s hard to beat a good team twice” could apply, but I just think Delmar is flat out better. Their QB Von Arx played late vs. AI and could be used if needed. Trader has grown up on the fly and adds an interesting dynamic to their offense. As advertised, Parker and Dennard are the real deal. Stop one and the other will make you pay. Delmar has some glue guys too that don’t get nearly enough attention - Carson Phillips is an animal on both sides of the ball, 33 always seems to make a play when needed, and their lineman are a scrappy bunch. Milford is the one man Bowman show. While I think you can consider him the Will Knight of D2, he doesn’t have any many pieces around him. Delmar gets it done again vs Milford for their seventh state title: Delmar 35-14.

I believe Middletown will win as long as Whitehead is healthy. He played against Penn but he was limping and don’t think he played offense much at all. If he plays Middletown wins 28-22.

I have been extremely impressed with Delmar and think they will win by 2 possessions. Don’t think it will be a blowout but really never super close.

Reactions: 8484ron
The cowbells prevail. This year , MT has more play makers.
I was just talking to someone about Smyrna having more play makers. I only know Fry, Whitehead, Johnson, and speedy young guy (#20?) as game changers. I'll have to do more research, I guess. Or reevaluate my definition of playmakers.

New Avatar Challenge: If MT wins, I will rock this image (or cavalier of your choice) for three days:
17600889-romantic-cavalier-performing-serenade.jpg

If SMY wins, You will have this avatar for three days:
strong-eagle-cartoon-vector-1484086.jpg

Any Middletown takers?

I was just talking to someone about Smyrna having more play makers. I only know Fry, Whitehead, Johnson, and speedy young guy (#20?) as game changers. I'll have to do more research, I guess. Or reevaluate my definition of playmakers.
#10 for Mtown catches EVERYTHING! And they said the return man got like 10 punts/kickoff returns......

MT with numerous playmakers:
QB Fry
RB Whitehead
WR Johnston
WR Edelin
RB Smith
EJ Washington (returner)

The real wild card here is grades. Does the new Middletown coach give his players test answers like the old coach? If not will all those playmakers be eligible come Saturday? It will be very interesting to see how that develops over the week.

The real wild card here is grades. Does the new Middletown coach give his players test answers like the old coach? If not will all those playmakers be eligible come Saturday? It will be very interesting to see how that develops over the week.

Note: when I say old coach I mean the one who got suspended for helping players cheat. Not the one who’s name was stripped from the field for ummm other reasons.

They’ve had some ethically strong leaders at that school, I tell you what

[QUOTE="Bucsnot, post: 121124
FYI ... the grades / report cards are already out ... so they all good . Lost nobody due grades @ MHS . How about Smyrna since you brought it up

[QUOTE="Bucsnot, post: 121124
FYI ... the grades / report cards are already out ... so they all good . Lost nobody due grades @ MHS . How about Smyrna since you brought it up

They lost no one? So the new coach must help them cheat. The game will be very close then.

FYI ... the new coach isn’t even a teacher , so I seriously doubt helps them cheat. Maybe he holds them accountable for their studies / grades

FYI ... the new coach isn’t even a teacher , so I seriously doubt helps them cheat. Maybe he holds them accountable for their studies / grades

So you’re admitting their last coach helped them cheat?

It’s public knowledge at this point that he was a cheater but it’s interesting to hear a Middletown fan admit it. I commend you for that.

How cool is it that we have a pair of rematches for state title games? I might actually tolerate being in Newark all day for both games.

That said, I like Middletown in D1 and Delmar in D2. Middletown has the playmakers on both sides of the ball to keep up with Smyrna and Delmar's just been too hot to stop.

MT with numerous playmakers:
QB Fry
RB Whitehead
WR Johnston
WR Edelin
RB Smith
EJ Washington (returner)
Yeah, Edelin is legit. MT is a good team and hope it is a good game. Best health to all players. I hope both teams sign a treaty that there will be NO EXTRANEOUS TWISTING OF ANKLES on Whitehead or Knight at the bottom of the pile!

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
This game will be decided on Wilson arm.... If he make the throws and no dumb picks... Smryna will win... Knight going get his.. Delmar will easily beat Milfod to big and strong..... Milfords offensive play calling against Delmar the first time was horrible.... Got get Bowman on the outside... Not up the midde every play. .. Hope Milford at least fix that... Smh

Last edited:
Reactions: youjustme
Why bring up something that has nothing to do with this week's game. Find something noteworthy of discussing.

Reactions: Bucsnot
So you’re admitting their last coach helped them cheat?

It’s public knowledge at this point that he was a cheater but it’s interesting to hear a Middletown fan admit it. I commend you for that.
Your pretty poor at attempting to twist something around that wasn't said.

Smyrna will WIN. Knight is the Difference. Middletown will have nothing for him. I feel Wilson has improved. If they stack the box he will make them pay. Fry came up small in Wp Game. The lights will be bigger this week. He must be on his game or Smyrna will win running away. If he plays well. I think High Scoring Game. But a good running game berats a good passing game. Congrats to Both Teams.

I like Delmar in Div II.

Totally biased opinion here and I hate to sound cliche but this game will be decided up front. The team that can get to the QB with their front 4, without blitzing should have the edge. Middletown is the more complete team. But Will Knight has proven he can beat a team by himself! Middletown has the edge in the secondary. Of course Whitehead’s health is a huge factor on both sides of the ball! I think Smyrna’s lack of a pass rush from their defensive line will hurt them. Fry can beat you with the short or long passing game and I think Smyrna struggles in the secondary vs the pass.

Prediction Mtwn 28 Smyrna 26

X factor for Mtwn- Najair Smith
X factor for Smyrna- Emon Roberts

Totally biased opinion here and I hate to sound cliche but this game will be decided up front. The team that can get to the QB with their front 4, without blitzing should have the edge. Middletown is the more complete team. But Will Knight has proven he can beat a team by himself! Middletown has the edge in the secondary. Of course Whitehead’s health is a huge factor on both sides of the ball! I think Smyrna’s lack of a pass rush from their defensive line will hurt them. Fry can beat you with the short or long passing game and I think Smyrna struggles in the secondary vs the pass.

Prediction Mtwn 28 Smyrna 26

X factor for Mtwn- Najair Smith
X factor for Smyrna- Emon Roberts
Good analysis and points made. I have Smith as the X factor as well. Very fast and slick. I have Whaley as X factor for Smyrna. Will can't do it by himself, and as long as the qb has a clean game, I believe that Smyrna's two point conversions will spell the difference.

Whaley is a very good player as well. He was held in check when these teams met opening night but a lot had changed since then. The wild card of this game will be the Smyrna coaching staff. I can all but guarantee that they’ll have some looks that Mtwn has never seen before! You have to assume that Mtwn will make Wilson beat them. I expect to see Whaley in the backfield with Knight as a wrinkle in the playbook.

Reactions: youjustme
I think both of you hit the nail on the head. Knight can beat any team by himself however, I believe Middletown will have something to at least slow him down, he won't be stopped, cause he hasn't been all season. So someone else will have to step up. For me, that person has to be Whaley. He's shown that he's more than capable of doing so.

What you said about the trenches are right, Smyrna certainly has the size advantage, as they have practically all season, but Middletown defense flies to the ball. With Washington, Johnston, Wilson, and Green in the secondary it's going to be hard to pass downfield as Smyrnas QB has a tendency to give the ball up some times. I think he's grown as a better player since he's week one game however, I still don't think he's a good quarterback. Almost like an athlete trying to be one. The pass rush will certainly rattle him at times.

Smyrna has some all state talent on that defense as well. Carro, Moyer, Accoo, Agulair are just some that you have to account for. These are going to have to be quick off the ball and think even faster, as Fry very rarely holds the ball longer than 5 seconds. Its take the snap, 3 step drop back and throws, unless it's a designed run.

Defensively I have to give the edge to Middletown. Offensively, I think Middletown has more weapons to throw Smyrna, but Knight is a freak of an athlete so, any side of the ball he's on should have the advantage .

I think the X factor will be special teams. E.j. Washington is a threat at returning any punt or kickoff, like another poster said, he has at least 10 returned TDs. And someone else said Najair Smith, the kid can run the ball, and he's scrappy when he does. Hence why so many call him Scrappy.

I'm refraining from a prediction for now, I see a game similar to the first one this year. A one score game late, and the team with the ball last will win.

I think MT is much more disciplined this year versus last year.

I think whichever team avoids stupid penalties will prevail but it should be a great game

D1 is at 1 pm
The unified championship is right after
D2 is 5:30 but it could be later than that due to what times the others end.

Going with smyrna in a close game... you guys give Fry way too much credit sometimes. Kid is a good player but he throws a lot of picks as well. He was awful last year in the state championship game. FYI- Smyrna Qb has more passing yards than Fry and is the only QB in the state with D1 & D2 scholarship offers as a QB. Kid gets a lot of slack on the board... think he's done a solid job given what he was thrown into and having to learn that offense on the fly

Reactions: onejeron
Going with smyrna in a close game... you guys give Fry way too much credit sometimes. Kid is a good player but he throws a lot of picks as well. He was awful last year in the state championship game. FYI- Smyrna Qb has more passing yards than Fry and is the only QB in the state with D1 & D2 scholarship offers as a QB. Kid gets a lot of slack on the board... think he's done a solid job given what he was thrown into and having to learn that offense on the fly

Learn on the fly? He’s been at the school a while now right? And certainly through the summer when they probably worked on the offense daily. It’s not like the first time he saw the playbook was the first day of summer camp.

And yeah he’s got yards, he also leads the state by far in interceptions.

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
Not sure the by far statement is accurate.. His picks did come in two games though...and some of them weren't on him... but check the numbers frys up there as well. And I guess you skip over the college coaches offering him part... somebody must think he's talented if he has double digit scholarship offers.

But seriously what's your problem with the kid? Do you know him.. did he mess with your daughter or something?

Not sure the by far statement is accurate.. His picks did come in two games though...and some of them weren't on him... but check the numbers frys up there as well. And I guess you skip over the college coaches offering him part... somebody must think he's talented if he has double digit scholarship offers.

But seriously what's your problem with the kid? Do you know him.. did he mess with your daughter or something?
The talent level isn’t even close. Just watch pre-game when Drew is throwing perfect strikes like it’s nothing. The redshirt Senior Wilson is good but he had more picks than td’s in the regular season. Who cares if he threw for more yards. What’s his QBR compared to Fry? And as far as the offers go, Wilson spends all Summer camping and his Dad has a company that shops players for scholarships. If Drew spent every weekend in the Summer going to camps he would have multiple D1A offers. Please don’t tell me you think Wilson is even in the same argument talent wise. Didn’t even make honorable mention all-conference.

yeah coaches just give out full D1 scholarships to everybody lol.. especially to Qbs from Delaware.... that kid must really have messed with a lot of you guys' daughters

yeah coaches just give out full D1 scholarships to everybody lol.. especially to Qbs from Delaware.... that kid must really have messed with a lot of you guys' daughters
Take a breath. Not saying he doesn’t deserve the offers. Just saying the talent comparison is ridiculous. What’s the biggest school offering him? Most are hbcu low level D1 which is fine. Fry, btw, visited Syracuse. If you can get a free college education than you’ve won believe me. I have one in and one going next year. He’s a great kid. Enough with the bs about our daughters. Give your opinion and we can debate like mature adults...If you are one.

I think he seems like a great kid and he’s very talented. Has size. Speed. A sick arm. But you can’t come on here and say Fry isn’t all that and he gets too much credit in one sentence and then try and boost the kid who’s thrown the most interceptions in the state in the next.

I’m the one being objective. You seem like you are the one with an agenda

Reactions: CHS89
I never said Fry wasn't good.. I said the kid can play. Don't put words in my mouth...what I did say was that he played bad in last years title game and he also has just as many picks as wilson has. And that wilson had more yards than him. Those are all facts. The kid definitely is a ball player.. has things he can work on same way most talented high school kids do. Never said wilson was better either... they both have things they can do better

I never said Fry wasn't good.. I said the kid can play. Don't put words in my mouth...what I did say was that he played bad in last years title game and he also has just as many picks as wilson has. And that wilson had more yards than him. Those are all facts. The kid definitely is a ball player.. has things he can work on same way most talented high school kids do. Never said wilson was better either... they both have things they can do better

You said Fry gets too much credit and then said how Wilson leads the state in yards and is the only Qb in the state to have D1 offers. That’s literally what you said?

Agenda?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT