ADVERTISEMENT

Tower Hill?????

@Yunforce Mckean, Bwine and Glasgow absolutely would be able to sustain the success because playing those teams would start the building of the program using the same model DMA did.

No way. What model? Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t DMA had 4 different ADs and 3 different head football coaches in the last 7 years? Kind of hard to come up with a grand scheme for football that way.

Also, DMA’s admissions work much different than registering in a public school. DMA is not restricted to a smaller feeder like the public’s mentioned.

Lastly, Public’s funding for athletics and DMA’s is not the same. DMA can take a donation for a new football stadium but if I went to Brandywine High school to donate a new stadium, it would be a no go unless I gave other Brandywine school district schools a piece.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
No way. What model? Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t DMA had 4 different ADs and 3 different head football coaches in the last 7 years? Kind of hard to come up with a grand scheme for football that way.

Also, DMA’s admissions work much different than registering in a public school. DMA is not restricted to a smaller feeder like the public’s mentioned.

Lastly, Public’s funding for athletics and DMA’s is not the same. DMA can take a donation for a new football stadium but if I went to Brandywine High school to donate a new stadium, it would be a no go unless I gave other Brandywine school district schools a piece.

@Yunforce Not sure about the 4 AD and 3 different coaches... But 1 AD and 1 coach was this year. Last coaching changing was 2014 with Ryan's hire who I believe a year or two later became the AD. And if the alleged incident didn't happen there would not have been a change this year; however, there definitely is a model and it coincides with Ryan's hire as coach, he then took over as AD and spearheaded the creation of DISC with intention to try and get an automatic bid into post season. So he scheduled Keeps Archmere, Conrad, Milford, St. E's, St. Marks and Tower Hill, and Laurel and Removes Dickinson, Sallies and Tatnall for Red Lion who was just putting a varsity team back on the field, Polytech and Charter two bad D1 teams so easy winnable 6pt games. The the next scheduling cycle comes with the new DISC removing Laurel for FSMA, Replacing Poly with another bad D1 team and adding Hodgson. D1 team with bonus point potential. If you don't think this was strategic you are mistaken.

Not sure what you are talking about with admission but if you'll be foolish if you don't think football kids were trying to get in and that was something admissions looked at. And with the donations apparently you did not read the news. How do you think Brandywine was the only team to get lights they were donated.

No question DMA is building something good.. DSC also a budding conference as RLCA continues to improve it could get better but no way DSC will get an autobid as long a D1 Charter is in the conference.. Charter needs to seperate from using Cab kids and having Cab enrollment count and get dropped to D2

@Yunforce Not sure about the 4 AD and 3 different coaches... But 1 AD and 1 coach was this year. Last coaching changing was 2014 with Ryan's hire who I believe a year or two later became the AD. And if the alleged incident didn't happen there would not have been a change this year; however, there definitely is a model and it coincides with Ryan's hire as coach, he then took over as AD and spearheaded the creation of DISC with intention to try and get an automatic bid into post season. So he scheduled Keeps Archmere, Conrad, Milford, St. E's, St. Marks and Tower Hill, and Laurel and Removes Dickinson, Sallies and Tatnall for Red Lion who was just putting a varsity team back on the field, Polytech and Charter two bad D1 teams so easy winnable 6pt games. The the next scheduling cycle comes with the new DISC removing Laurel for FSMA, Replacing Poly with another bad D1 team and adding Hodgson. D1 team with bonus point potential. If you don't think this was strategic you are mistaken.

Not sure what you are talking about with admission but if you'll be foolish if you don't think football kids were trying to get in and that was something admissions looked at. And with the donations apparently you did not read the news. How do you think Brandywine was the only team to get lights they were donated.

DSAC you mean. And if if you think Mike Ryan spearheaded the conference to 6 teams you are mistaken. Other ADs in the conference let that happen. DMA was in the playoffs before Ryan and played Sallies before he was AD and football coach. Which was actually the same year. Please spare me any story that tells me Mike Ryan has a winning formula. Haha

IMO, DMA and Conrad would be just fine if they stayed in flight B and st Marks and st Es should have jumped on getting into Diamond State but that’s for another thread down the line.

Last edited:
Jules or phjai didn't even show up this week before the game lol... Still steaming about losing to Friends "again" I suppose ..lol Chickenhawks

a014ae09598cdd8dafc1c67bc61ea09d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium Shadow
As an aside, the fan turnout for Tower Hill was kinda sad. The Caravel side was literally full (and I mean literally in the old school sense). There were people sitting coolers and the fence line was full. Ton of empty seats on the TH side.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
True story story Dr... CA fans got it rocking in 2nd half and fired them boys up... you could tell the boys were feeding on it... CA stands hit 3.2 on the richter scale.. :p.. Gonna need some busloads down in Greenwood Friday night..:D

Last edited:
We Will see what tower has week 10 when they play friends. Yes they do have a cupcake schedule but how can you count a team out based on there schedule. They have one of the best players in the state and will turn heads this year in the playofs imo. And if they dont I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

Not in a hurry to "be the first to admit" he was wrong lol

True story story Dr... CA fans got it rocking in 2nd half and fired them boys up... you could tell the boys were feeding on it... CA stands hit 3.2 on the richter scale.. :p.. Gonna need some busloads down in Greenwood Friday night..:D
Caravel fans always travel well. Greenwood is a test of that, but it could be worse...could be Delmar.

Tower Hill has had numerous calls from instate schools looking to schedule a regular season game - somehow they never return the calls. I do think in the future they might schedule st Edmonds and St. John’s so there’s that.

St John would beat them

St John would beat them

True Nole... They are better off getting George School back on the schedule.. :p

but it won't be next year. CHawks schedule for next year is already done.. exact same as this year well except home fields flipped...

FYI Friends has the same schedule as this year as well.. I don't know what Friends is losing as far as personnel exactly but my initial thought is that it will be a long shot Friends makes it in next year.. Even if they beat Tower going to have to take 3 of 5 from Delmar,WB, Lake, AI and ANC

Last edited:
Reactions: Throwbackjack
It is a shame that TH won't schedule quality opponents. Despite the extremely weak regular season schedule, they have been mostly competitive when they have played decent teams in the play-offs. This is due to some pretty good coaching and the unique single wing that they play. Not only is this a dis-service to their athletes but antics like this are also unfair to other deserving teams and cause the play-off process to change when one school chooses to game the system by playing powder puff schedule year in and year out, just for the sole purpose of saying "we made the play-offs again this year, so we must be pretty good!"

True Nole... They are better off getting George School back on the schedule.. :p

but it won't be next year. CHawks schedule for next year is already done.. exact same as this year well except home fields flipped... FY Friends has the same schedule as this year as well..

Same with Friends. They have one of the more difficult schedules again next year...only home fields flipped, yet Friends still seems to be competitive and make the playoffs most years.

It is a shame that TH won't schedule quality opponents. Despite the extremely weak regular season schedule, they have been mostly competitive when they have played decent teams in the play-offs. This is due to some pretty good coaching and the unique single wing that they play. Not only is this a dis-service to their athletes but antics like this are also unfair to other deserving teams and cause the play-off process to change when one school chooses to game the system by playing powder puff schedule year in and year out, just for the sole purpose of saying "we made the play-offs again this year, so we must be pretty good!"

It is also is a vote of no confidence to your players. Your telling them you don't believe in them enough to make the play-offs on their abilities or your own coaching ability for that matter so your going to stack the deck with cream puffs to help them. Then try and tell them teams in DE are afraid to schedule them lol (ok I made that last part up but it wouldn't surprise me if'n they do)..I would never let my kid play for a program like that.. ever..

Last edited:
Yes, I was wrong and I forgot to admit it. Tower Hill played tough though. Excuse my tardiness.

phjai.. yes they did play tough and please understand the disdain on here toward Tower Hill is not directed toward their players at all.. They don't make the damn schedule and I am sure if it were up to them they would would say schedule Sallies, Caravel, Delmar, Howard, St Marks we don't care... anyway you get the point

but it won't be next year. CHawks schedule for next year is already done.. exact same as this year well except home fields flipped...

FYI Friends has the same schedule as this year as well.. I don't know what Friends is losing as far as personnel exactly but my initial thought is that it will be a long shot Friends makes it in next year.. Even if they beat Tower going to have to take 3 of 5 from Delmar,WB, Lake, AI and ANC

You are right that they will be pressed on the tough schedule again next year. Only nine games might hurt them again. Off top of my head, Friends loses Nelson (nice quarterback) and Opderback (who filled in nicely with Nelson out). Adebi on the line (possibly 3rd team all State), Davis, Dixon, Littleton, Gise and Jaworski (probably best kicker/punter in the state) next year. But they seem to lose some key starters every year and find ways to compete and win some big games. Will have to see if the next group can continue the play-off streak.

I was bummed I didn't see any of the triple spin series from TH's single wing? If you ain't spinnin you ain't winnin. The wedge is deadly from that series.. I guess they just run some of the single wing O not all of it..

Good find BIB. Even in it's scaled down form, it is somewhat of an equalizer (for teams who don't have bigger lineman) because teams don't see it often and don't know how to defend it. Kind of like what the service Academys have done for years with the triple option

phjai.. yes they did play tough and please understand the disdain on here toward Tower Hill is not directed toward their players at all.. They don't make the damn schedule and I am sure if it were up to them they would would say schedule Sallies, Caravel, Delmar, Howard, St Marks we don't care... anyway you get the point

Agreed I know some of the kids and they are great kids. Its the schedule that is out of hand - hell if is ST Marks had thier schedule they are probably 3rd seed. But they over schedule and it kills them every eyar.

You are right that they will be pressed on the tough schedule again next year. Only nine games might hurt them again. Off top of my head, Friends loses Nelson (nice quarterback) and Opderback (who filled in nicely with Nelson out). Adebi on the line (possibly 3rd team all State), Davis, Dixon, Littleton, Gise and Jaworski (probably best kicker/punter in the state) next year. But they seem to lose some key starters every year and find ways to compete and win some big games. Will have to see if the next group can continue the play-off streak.

Good coaching for sure.

Good find BIB. Even in it's scaled down form, it is somewhat of an equalizer (for teams who don't have bigger lineman) because teams don't see it often and don't know how to defend it. Kind of like what the service Academys have done for years with the triple option

Exactly it allows teams that have smaller OL or lesser athletes compete due to lack of opponents seeing it and even when they do it requires significant discipline on D to stop it.

Not surprised it took Caravel a while to get rolling in that game. But they figured it out 2nd half.

tower hill has like 125 boys in the entire upper school and about half play football... these other schools have huge advantages with the number of kids they have

tower hill has like 125 boys in the entire upper school and about half play football... these other schools have huge advantages with the number of kids they have

yeah that doesn't hold up for the woe is us..

obviously roster size doesn't always tell what kind of program you have or don't have...anything over 40 in D2 and your doing real good in terms of number of players. Quality of players/coaches that is another story

Division 2 roster sizes V and JV

Tower Hill- 43
Friends-31
Caravel- 35
Howard- 36
AI-38
McKean- 45+
Brandywine 50+
Glasgow-38
Newark-45
St Marks- 65+
DMA- 80+
RLCA- 28
Archmere-70
Delmar- 65+
Woodbridge-60+
Lake-75+
Laurel- 45+
IR- 50+

Last edited:
yeah that doesn't hold up for the woe is us..

obviously roster size doesn't always tell what kind of program you have or don't have...anything over 40 in D2 and your doing real good in terms of number of players. Quality of players that is another story

Division 2 roster sizes V and JV

Tower Hill- 43
Friends-31
Caravel- 35
Howard- 36
AI-38
St Marks- 65+
DMA- 80+
RLCA- 28
Archmere-70
Delmar- 65+
Woodbridge-60+
Lake-75+
Laurel- 45+
IR- 50+
Pretty incredible that some of these teams (Caravel, Howard & Friends) are as competitive as they are/have been with the light numbers. Their better players have to play both ways plus on special teams. The teams with larger rosters have the luxury of having most guys only play one way and getting some rest.

Pretty incredible that some of these teams (Caravel, Howard & Friends) are as competitive as they are/have been with the light numbers. Their better players have to play both ways plus on special teams. The teams with larger rosters have the luxury of having most guys only play one way and getting some rest.

I factor in downstate high school football is a big part of the community and a bunch of those kids that come out for football do so because that is what boys do so some are pretty much there to be part of the team and maybe get a ring but don't contribute much on the field.. CA and TH get some of that but not much.

Numbers is a huge advantage when it comes to practicing though.. Teams like CA,TH, Friends etc.. really can't put a scout team on the field to give much resistance. so pretty much every play goes to the house lol.. Not good for working on things to correct..

DMA has a big number as well but I think boys are required to play a contact sport in the military type schools. I know to get into one of the Academies you have to have played a contact sport.

Last edited:

No one is disrespecting the kids who play for Tower Hill. They are a good program for the size of the school, but they are not one of the top 8 Division II schools in the state, much less the third best team.

What we are pointing out is that gaming the system to make your team look better than they are is a disservice not only to the players on Tower Hill, but also to those teams who are more deserving of a playoff spot.

Schedule Cape or Milford instead of Charter; Mt. Pleasant, William Penn, or Appo instead of Delcastle; St Mark's instead of St. Elizabeth; Delmar, Woodbridge, Lake, AI, Howard, Archmere, Caravel or DMA instead of Christiana and Tower Hill would get a lot more respect.

Last edited:
** another disclaimer to these roster numbers. That is what they started with some of these programs have a bunch of kids quit early or during the season..I think we know who those are**

Here is the latest Massy Ratings for D2. While you can quibble about a team being a spot too high or low, I think Tower Hill at 11th is fairly accurate.

1 Woodbridge
2 Howard
3 Delmar
4 Caravel Acad
5 Friends
6 Lake Forest
7 Archmere
8 AI DuPont
9 St Mark's
10 DMA
11 Tower Hill
12 Red Lion Chr
13 Laurel
14 St Andrew's
15 Glasgow
16 Conrad
17 Brandywine
18 Indian River
19 McKean
20 St Elizabeth
21 Tatnall
22 Christiana
23 First St Mil
24 Seaford
25 Dickinson

Personally I think after having watched them Tower Hill is a few spots better than 11th..Which brings us to the point of scheduling.. Part of the computer ratings is strength of schedule and that factors into them being rated where they are..My point being they are tier 2 and better than scheduling all tier 3 and 4 teams. Drop a couple tier 2 teams on the schedule to challenge your boys some and everyone is happy lol

I can see how Tower Hill could be considered better than AI, I think AI is rated more than a spot too high.

But Tower Hill only beat Red Lion 16-8, DMA beat Red Lion 42-14 and St. Mark's beat DMA 21-0. That would put Tower Hill 10th at best in my opinion.

Last edited:
Daisy chaining isn't so accurate all the time.. Match ups and all.. Also Tower Hill isn't going to beat a team by much so comparing their score vs RLCA against DMA vs RLCA doesn't give the whole picture.. If Tower Hill can beat a team 7-0 and possess the ball for 45 minutes that is what they will do. I am not going to say DMA would beat Tower Hill because they beat RLCA by more.. I have seen both teams play and how they play. I don't know who would win but I am sure it would be a low scoring one score difference. TH defense is way better than Red Lions. Red Lion just had a good idea how to stop Friends offense. I know where that comes from. Ken Anderson faced it for years coaching at MOT vs Perry Hall (his nemesis with Coach Moody) and some of the other Baltimore County teams that all ran single wing and those teams were loaded with athletes lol

Last edited:
Can’t speak for all teams but I would imagine their numbers should be looked at through the prism of Seniors through Freshman.... TH had 18 freshman and 15 sophomores..... it is hard to predict fairly how these young men will perform in any program unless they have played in an AAU environment.... Hard to schedule when you don’t know numbers. TH is also a program where all the boys, with a few exceptions, have to play a sport 9th and 10th grade because numbers are low in Upper School. About a third of the young men play football which neatly fits to the high 30’s low 40’s numbers. So in this environment, the program is still building from being in a perpetual abyss just a decade ago. Also, being a school where scholastics matters, the scholar athletes there, actually have to perform in the classroom where many of their true talents lie. So, TH doesn’t need the respect of those who suggest they have knowledge of how things work. I suspect the program produces young men who are well rounded and are better to have played the sport even if in most cases these are not football players. The future CEO’s and such that are being produced will benefit from the lessons of team sport, and getting their butts kicked from time to time. I can imagine that will upset some, who are football experts and know what they want to see is in fact what everyone else wants to see, but building productive young men who are productive in society is the goal. If TH never wins a championship, never win the respect of those who are the experts and talking heads, the program producing a winning culture and Men who play because they have heart and soul, not recruited for sole purpose of playing football and graduates over 99% with higher then 90% finishing college and getting a degree is all that programs needs to concern itself with. TH sucks is the rallying cry.... scheduling sucks and pretty much everything about program, well except the “kids”, who read and analyze this sites, sucks.
20-7 Caravel 2019
14-6 Friends 2018 - 22-14 AI, but we know now the undefeated AI team sucked and was overrated
14-6 Friends 2017
Missed playoffs 2016 6-3 record
30-16 Howard 2015 - eventual state champions

I believe that is a fairly accurate list above of previous 5 years. Every team loses their last game of the year except one. That doesn’t make every team a loser.

while TH is not seen as a top notch football program, it appears they at least put up a decent effort against teams readily approved by the experts as top notch programs, without recruiting and without the talent most really good programs have consistently...... building a program with high Scholastic young men and moms and dads who read and worry about CTE, has proved to be challenging i’m sure. But, I imagine there isn’t a member of the Program, who isn’t proud to have worn the TH across their chest and used the lessons learned on the field to propel them in future endeavors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT