ADVERTISEMENT

Way to Early 2018 Predictions

SmallWonderSports

Tackles too high
Nov 17, 2012
A lot will change between now and August 15, 2018. Coaches, transfers, etc...What are your guys’ thoughts?

D1: Have to like Middletown with Fry back for his senior year. Hodgson should show continued growth as their young QB gains more experience. William Penn? What will Smyrna look like without Will Knight. Could Sussex Centeal regain the northern crown? My playoff predictions would be the following in no particular order:

Middletown, Sals, Sussex Central, Smyrna, Hodgson, William Penn. (I like Middletown and Sallies as 1 and 2).

D2: Friends is going to be a legit title contender. Nelson will only be a junior after a year in the system. Quentin McCabe is the real deal on the outsider. One would have to think Caravel will be a legit contender as well. AI had a high number of junior contributors, and Howard will be Howard although they are losing Bowman, John, and some nice lineman pieces. DMA returns Allene which is likely plenty to run through the DSC. Down south (Bowman is gone) you’ve gotta like Delmar and Woodbridge. Dennard and Trader will be back. Woodbridge loses Brewer out wide and that’s basically it. Playoffs in no order:

Woodbridge, Delmar, Friends, Caravel, Howard, AI, DMA, St. Marks/Archmere

(I like Woodbridge and Delmar as 1 and 2).

Reactions: FootballguyDE
A lot will change between now and August 15, 2018. Coaches, transfers, etc...What are your guys’ thoughts?

D1: Have to like Middletown with Fry back for his senior year. Hodgson should show continued growth as their young QB gains more experience. William Penn? What will Smyrna look like without Will Knight. Could Sussex Centeal regain the northern crown? My playoff predictions would be the following in no particular order:

Middletown, Sals, Sussex Central, Smyrna, Hodgson, William Penn. (I like Middletown and Sallies as 1 and 2).

D2: Friends is going to be a legit title contender. Nelson will only be a junior after a year in the system. Quentin McCabe is the real deal on the outsider. One would have to think Caravel will be a legit contender as well. AI had a high number of junior contributors, and Howard will be Howard although they are losing Bowman, John, and some nice lineman pieces. DMA returns Allene which is likely plenty to run through the DSC. Down south (Bowman is gone) you’ve gotta like Delmar and Woodbridge. Dennard and Trader will be back. Woodbridge loses Brewer out wide and that’s basically it. Playoffs in no order:

Woodbridge, Delmar, Friends, Caravel, Howard, AI, DMA, St. Marks/Archmere

(I like Woodbridge and Delmar as 1 and 2).
I’m not sure about all this friends talk. Good athletes but they lose a lot up front on both sides. Not sure if they’ll even win the SPL. I think they’re a good football team but they lose some talent. Caravel loses two studs but they return a lot. Archmere, AI, Tower, and woodbridge probably return the most starters but never doubt my spartans. St. Marks will do big things next year.

Bummy predicts the Sals will continue their downward spiral. What returning talent is coming back? The till is nil. If they play the same schedule as last year they will be sub .500.

Sorry, clones.

Caravel lost two of their big underclassmen lineman due to non athletic issues.. they would have been lost for the play-offs as well if they made it this year. They also lose Montgomery, Larkins and Laznik... Might be a tough year for CA next year but Deregis, Gray and Potter are names to keep an eye on

Won't name names but it is so ironic I have to tell the story.. The big boys got kicked out because they were steeling food from the cafeteria I don't know if that is sad or funny

Last edited:
St. E is going to be a team to watch in D2 next year - super competitive this year, only graduate a handful of seniors. I think Delmar repeats, though Woodbridge will have something to say about that.

St. E is going to be a team to watch in D2 next year - super competitive this year, only graduate a handful of seniors. I think Delmar repeats, though Woodbridge will have something to say about that.
St E's graduated 2 seniors, one of them was out this entire season with a knee injury

No brained Delmar is returning VonArx, Trader and both Dennard brothers.

Delmar does lose Parker and Phillips. Will be hard to replace their talent and leadership.

However, Delmar is in position to be a contender for at least the next 3 years. Personally, I think Hearn gets his 6th and maybe more in those 3 years.

I think Woodbridge could be scary good next year. They return Haynes, Wescott, Kane, Keeler, Massey and a handful of linemen.

Delmar loses Phillips, Parker and some linemen as well. Will be interesting to see who fills that FB void for them, because if they don't have a threat there, teams can key on Dennard and the QB (whoever it is) more. What people do not realize though, is had woodbridge beaten Delmar week 10, Delmar doesn't even make the playoffs. Could the same be true next year? I know they lost a game earlier in the year, but do they have to run the table again to even make the tournament?

Delmar could have lost to Woodbridge and still got in. Delmar would have still won the South as long as Woodbridge didn't win by 19.

I think Woodbridge could be scary good next year. They return Haynes, Wescott, Kane, Keeler, Massey and a handful of linemen.

Delmar loses Phillips, Parker and some linemen as well. Will be interesting to see who fills that FB void for them, because if they don't have a threat there, teams can key on Dennard and the QB (whoever it is) more. What people do not realize though, is had woodbridge beaten Delmar week 10, Delmar doesn't even make the playoffs. Could the same be true next year? I know they lost a game earlier in the year, but do they have to run the table again to even make the tournament?
The game they had to win was Milford, and it very well could be the same next year.

Playoff Predictions
1. Sals- young guys ready to contribute and seniors will step up and prove everyone wrong/excellent defense returning
2. Middletown- returning Fry and Johnston. Fry can make playoffs alone
3. Hodgson- Young team returning lots of stars including freshman standout Henry
4. Smyrna- Has some young talent coming back enough to make playoffs but barely even won with Knight
5. Sussex Central- Returning two twin brothers at qb and wide out as well as a few linemen
6.William Penn- Always in the mix not sure how many starters coming back but always good

Sals v Middletown in finals

Thoughts?

Reactions: FootballisFun123
Playoff Predictions
1. Sals- young guys ready to contribute and seniors will step up and prove everyone wrong/excellent defense returning
2. Middletown- returning Fry and Johnston. Fry can make playoffs alone
3. Hodgson- Young team returning lots of stars including freshman standout Henry
4. Smyrna- Has some young talent coming back enough to make playoffs but barely even won with Knight
5. Sussex Central- Returning two twin brothers at qb and wide out as well as a few linemen
6.William Penn- Always in the mix not sure how many starters coming back but always good

Sals v Middletown in finals

Thoughts?
Yeah, which year did you graduate from Salesianum?

Reactions: TheRandomGuy
1998, why does that matter?
It doesn't matter. However, most readers look for some objectivity when evaluating predictions...even the way early ones. You obviously went to Sallies, have respect for MT (probably as a historically worthy opponent), and still don't feel comfortable with the recent success of Smyrna. You just posted three times before trumpeting Sals and making a sideways dig at Smyrna. My profile based on your post, based on several clues, put you as a 1990-1995 graduate. Do you live in the Newark area and will have a son playing varsity football in the next five years? Just checking my deductions? Btw, I have no problem being way off.

It doesn't matter. However, most readers look for some objectivity when evaluating predictions...even the way early ones. You obviously went to Sallies, have respect for MT (probably as a historically worthy opponent), and still don't feel comfortable with the recent success of Smyrna. You just posted three times before trumpeting Sals and making a sideways dig at Smyrna. My profile based on your post, based on several clues, put you as a 1990-1995 graduate. Do you live in the Newark area and will have a son playing varsity football in the next five years? Just checking my deductions? Btw, I have no problem being way off.
I have nothing against Smyrna and think they've been a great team past few years but also think Knight is the type of player who completely changes a team. Just don't think they will be nearly as good without him and questions at QB. I don't think Sallies will be number one because I went there, I've seen the talent at Sallies and think them and Middletown are clear favorites right now.

Honestly, until someone can learn how to stop the Earthquake, Smyrna will be favorites again. Yeah, they lose Knight, but from what I've seen from Whaley, he's more than capable for keeping that train going.

I'll quote a friend of mine from earlier today...."Until a coach can learn how to stop that formation, Smyrna will do what Newark did in the 90s".

And I'm not a Smyrna fan. But I give respect to whom deserves it. And Smyrna deserves it.

I Now know how most people felt back when we had Darius Wade and Chris Godwin. Not many could touch us then, and Smyrna is at that level now.

Ok. I will have had varsity players on Smyrna from 2011 to 2020 and even I know they will have challenges moving forward. They will have around 17 starters graduating this year. But MT has a boat load leaving as well and contrary to what you predicted, Fry will not be able to do it alone. Just be clear, I don't expect Smyrna to win again but I certainly don't expect MT to make the finals. I see Sallies and Hodgson/Central as finalists. Anyway, good luck next year.

Youjustme....idk if I can take your word for it. This year you've been pumping the brakes on them saying they haven't been what you expected, and other than their first two games, they trolled everyone.......or maybe that was Pickle, one of you two were trying to stay level but anyone could tell they got better as the season started.

Youjustme....idk if I can take your word for it. This year you've been pumping the brakes on them saying they haven't been what you expected, and other than their first two games, they trolled everyone.......or maybe that was Pickle, one of you two were trying to stay level but anyone could tell they got better as the season started.
I was saying that they were improving but I was cautious because they had too many self inflicted! They can be a good team next year but I don't think it's reasonable to think four-peat. And how did I end up in the same sentence as Pickle?!

“Won't name names but it is so ironic I have to tell the story.. The big boys got kicked out because they were stealing food from the cafeteria I don't know if that is sad or funny.”

Guess they were on Dean Wormer’s double secret probation and didn’t know it. Begs the question whether the cashiers that occasionally let kids eat free the last year or so were also canned?

I have a feeling that DII will be a lot more fun to watch than DI football next year. DI loses a lot of the stars from this season. Fry should be able to handle almost everyone and finally run away with a championship. DII returns a lot of studs who are going to be fun to watch.

I have a feeling that DII will be a lot more fun to watch than DI football next year. DI loses a lot of the stars from this season. Fry should be able to handle almost everyone and finally run away with a championship. DII returns a lot of studs who are going to be fun to watch.

D2 is always a lot of fun to watch. It’s like watching the 6 year old mitey mites play.

It’s really cute watching the D2 players running around not knowing what to do, falling over, picking daisies from the field, etc etc. So yeah I totally agree with you, it’s fun to watch for a good laugh but you have to stick to D1 to watch real football.

D2 is always a lot of fun to watch. It’s like watching the 6 year old mitey mites play.

It’s really cute watching the D2 players running around not knowing what to do, falling over, picking daisies from the field, etc etc. So yeah I totally agree with you, it’s fun to watch for a good laugh but you have to stick to D1 to watch real football.

Come on man... this is all subjective... D1 may be better with a larger pool to choose from, but when big bad Sallies went to NJ in October 2009 and faces a D2 level school Delsea Regional (>600 students), and Delsea blew Sallies out 34-12... then sallies went on to win the state D1 title... so to rag on D2 teams because of a small enrollment isn't fair... will the talent pool be better? maybe..it should be... but HVT from a few years back when they steamrolled D2, would have prob won D1 that year as well.
Point is, DE football as a whole would have a hard time competing for a state title in NJ, PA, MD. Just enjoy it for what it is... HS kids playing hard and hopefully having fun.

Reactions: GateKeeperRefugee
the D2 haters just need to shut up! Pretty sure a few D2 teams beat D1 this year.

WB over Dover
Milford over Cape and Sussex Tech
I'm sure I'm missing others, but you some of you act like every D1 team would beat a D2 team. That is far from the truth. Yes, Smryna, Sallies, and Middletown could have handled D2 this year, but that is it. All of 3 teams! If D1 was so good, how come AI didn't run through D2 this year (Their first year in D2?) Instead Delmar droped 56 on them? haha You're right, daisy pickers?

D2 player just named Defensive Player of the year too.

Bowman was the best overall player in the state Of Delaware. MVP. He was asked to do more for his team then anyone. Special young man. Your states best player in 2019 , and 2020 will also be from D2
2021 it will be from D1. Unless a unknown steps up. Or these kids transfer out of the state like I’m hearing might happen. A point I think that is hilariously is the fact the 2020 kid will probably transfer unnoticed by everyone except his conference and team. That’s what makes evaluating talent in HS football so great. People just don’t know what the don’t know. One point I will make about 2019 is that #77 from Smyrna will have an opportunity to be the best overall player. It all depends on his progress in the off season. And yes a offensive lineman can and should be recognized.

Bowman was the best overall player in the state Of Delaware. MVP. He was asked to do more for his team then anyone. Special young man. Your states best player in 2019 , and 2020 will also be from D2
2021 it will be from D1. Unless a unknown steps up. Or these kids transfer out of the state like I’m hearing might happen. A point I think that is hilariously is the fact the 2020 kid will probably transfer unnoticed by everyone except his conference and team. That’s what makes evaluating talent in HS football so great. People just don’t know what the don’t know. One point I will make about 2019 is that #77 from Smyrna will have an opportunity to be the best overall player. It all depends on his progress in the off season. And yes a offensive lineman can and should be recognized.

Prep when you are calling Bowman the best overall player in the state are you talking true talent or on the field performance?

Prep when you are calling Bowman the best overall player in the state are you talking true talent or on the field performance?
Production and on the field performance. Kid had to do everything. There could be an argument made that he has the most talent, but most would put knight at the top. Myself included. However Bowman had to play every single snap. At the next level he will be able to concentrate on one aspect of his game. Then you will see his full potential. He has that special trait you can’t teach. He will also be overlooked by a lot of programs because of size, and unfortunately where he played. What ever program brings him in will realize in a short time they are getting a special young man.

Production and on the field performance. Kid had to do everything. There could be an argument made that he has the most talent, but most would put knight at the top. Myself included. However Bowman had to play every single snap. At the next level he will be able to concentrate on one aspect of his game. Then you will see his full potential. He has that special trait you can’t teach. He will also be overlooked by a lot of programs because of size, and unfortunately where he played. What ever program brings him in will realize in a short time they are getting a special young man.
Agree, but not sure what you meant by "and unfortunately where he played". Are you referring to position, team, conference, division...........?

Agree, but not sure what you meant by "and unfortunately where he played". Are you referring to position, team, conference, division...........?
Unfortunately just the State / division. Some schools don’t even recruit the state. It has nothing to do with him or his school. Just a sad fact. It’s one of the things that are out of the kids hands.

Bowman traveled to a few camps, so he has had some looks. I think the real issue holding him back would be his size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT