3 3 St. Georges Tech (7-5)
4 N/A Caesar Rodney (8-2)
5 7 Caravel (5-3)
6 N/A Glasgow (8-2)
7 4 Mt. Pleasant (8-2)
8 N/A Salesianum (6-3)
9 5 Newark (7-3)
10 N/A St. Mark's (7-2)

Dover at 11-0 should be #1, Stan and the Sanford team have a lot to prove this season after being picked preseason #1 the last 4 out of 5 years with no hardware to show. I’m definitely not hating on Sanford but with pipeline of players Stan has something’s gotta give.

Dover at 11-0 should be #1, Stan and the Sanford team have a lot to prove this season after being picked preseason #1 the last 4 out of 5 years with no hardware to show. I’m definitely not hating on Sanford but with pipeline of players Stan has something’s gotta give.
What are you talking about? The juniors that are on this team won the State Chip as 8th graders.

What are you talking about? The juniors that are on this team won the State Chip as 8th graders.

You’re correct, they have 1 ship in the last 5 yrs...they have been preseason #1 4 out of the last 5 years....as I said, I played against Stan and have nothing but the utmost respect for him and the Sanford team but a private school that gets that much talent and basketball is the only competitive sport the school really has, they should be winning a greater clip imo....no downstate upstate water drinking here but you may wanna check yourself.

With all of the talent that Sanford has including 2 BIG TIME nationally ranked underclassmen w/ multiple big time D1 offers Sanford has to be your #1 team until someone in DE knocks them off. I don't think you should base your current rankings off of years past...Dover itself has had some very talented teams in recent years past and have not made it to the quarterfinals. And don't let those 2 losses of Sanford fool you...they catch a couple Ls early on in the season often to out-of-state top notch competition that would run through DE teams.

I would have Salesianum up at #5 right behind CR who they loss to in OT, then Caravel at #6. Glasgow will surely fall after losing at home by 10 to an average 5-5 AI duPont team last night.

I agree with 84 they get the talent but talent needs coaching. I think Stan’s prowess as a coach is accumulating talent and not so much coaching ability. Personally I think he is overrated as a coach. He should have won 3 of the last 5 with the talent he has JMHO

You’re correct, they have 1 ship in the last 5 yrs...they have been preseason #1 4 out of the last 5 years....as I said, I played against Stan and have nothing but the utmost respect for him and the Sanford team but a private school that gets that much talent and basketball is the only competitive sport the school really has, they should be winning a greater clip imo....no downstate upstate water drinking here but you may wanna check yourself.
So you expected Jyaire, and the Perkins boys to win it all as starting freshman? If I remember correctly they lost to heavy upperclassman dominated teams their FR/SO year. You act like they were out there losing to teams they had no business losing to....... You are hating, whether directly or indirectly.

Reactions: jvm3
So you expected Jyaire, and the Perkins boys to win it all as starting freshman? If I remember correctly they lost to heavy upperclassman dominated teams their FR/SO year. You act like they were out there losing to teams they had no business losing to....... You are hating, whether directly or indirectly.

So swag, because we have a difference in opinion, I’m hating....up your game and understand that our differences make us who we are not haters, that’s a kids game I don’t play...state your case or your opinion and I will read, if I don’t like your opinion I will not accuse you of hating, we will simply agree to disagree.

@J12, I agree with not basing the rankings based on past seasons but when a team is 11-0 and played some good teams, I believe they are #1 until someone beats them. I don’t care if that team is from New Castle, Kent or Sussex. Sanford definitely plays a tough out of state schedule and maybe the best man for man team but 11-0 speaks volumes to me.

Reactions: Chill44
I don’t think Stan is overrated at all, yes he has talent but it’s young talent. With 2 Nationally ranked players, I just expected more championships. Remember that young talent plays basketball year round, they don’t play football or baseball just basketball, club and travel, AAU....they are young in age not talent. I would say those guys play bb more than 75% of the rest of the state. Which is why there is so much expectation.

In the past nine years Sanford has been in the Chip 5 times and won it 4. The only other teams to get there more than once was Sallies and Smyrna (twice).
Who are the "nationally ranked players" in those 9yrs?

@J12, I agree with not basing the rankings based on past seasons but when a team is 11-0 and played some good teams, I believe they are #1 until someone beats them. I don’t care if that team is from New Castle, Kent or Sussex. Sanford definitely plays a tough out of state schedule and maybe the best man for man team but 11-0 speaks volumes to me.

84rider, these are the state of DE rankings, if you are #1 preseason in DE & do not lose to any DE teams then how could you possibly slip in the rankings? Sanford loss to Monsignor Bonner who is the #8 team in all of PA & Imhotep who is the #2 team in all of PA. Add that on to the fact that Sanford also has the best in-state win of the two having beat #3 St. George's then I just don't see the logic of how you rank Dover ahead of them. I'm not predicting who would win the head-to-head matchup but for ranking purposes there is no way would it make sense to have Dover ranked ahead of Sanford. Sanford was #1 preseason "in DE", so just like you said you are #1 until someone "in DE" beats you...that just makes sense to me.

Delmarva Christian is currently 9-1, the best overall record in the state behind Dover so I ask you how much volume does that speak??? Why not have them ranked??? Sidenote...Delmarva Christian will be soaking up one of those 24 playoff spots this year because of their schedule (and that 1 loss came to 4-9 Indian River by 18 points...talk about working the system).

I’m not arguing with your logic and I not opposed to Sanford being ranked #1, as I said before, Sanford’s out of state schedule is awesome but Dover imo is still #1 until they lose. Delmarva Christian lost to a 4-9 IR team by 18 and beat a 4-5 Christiana team by 6, we both know exactly what they are, surprised you would even go there, comparing their 9-1 record to Dover’s 11-0 record. You’re reaching to explain your position. It’s all good though, just one mans opinion...a CR guy standing up for Dover lol times have changed my friend. Way different from Friday nights at William Henry fighting each other while the Tizer, TPC & the Westside crew battled on the tables lmao

I’m not arguing with your logic and I not opposed to Sanford being ranked #1, as I said before, Sanford’s out of state schedule is awesome but Dover imo is still #1 until they lose. Delmarva Christian lost to a 4-9 IR team by 18 and beat a 4-5 Christiana team by 6, we both know exactly what they are, surprised you would even go there, comparing their 9-1 record to Dover’s 11-0 record. You’re reaching to explain your position. It’s all good though, just one mans opinion...a CR guy standing up for Dover lol times have changed my friend. Way different from Friday nights at William Henry fighting each other while the Tizer, TPC & the Westside crew battled on the tables lmao

I am not reaching at all, I am just proving the point going off of you basing things on overall record alone. I am sure anybody with basketball knowledge had Sanford ranked preseason #1 in Delaware, they have not lost to a DE team so how Dover would be your #1 makes no sense to me. Let me ask you this...Idk where you may have had Dover ranked at preseason but I'm pretty sure it wasn't #1 so at what point or after what game would you have had them leapfrog Sanford? I think that is basically what I am wondering. AND Sanford has the best win of the 2 teams beating St. George's. Woooww...YES times have definitely changed!!!

Just curious to know what preseason rankings are based upon??? They’re definitely not based upon preseason play right? So Sanford being ranked #1 was based off a prediction of returning talent. However, records should speak for themselves when you have played quality teams right? I agree with 84, Dover should be ranked #1 if they haven’t been beaten by any team in Delaware and because they still sit undefeated as a team program, not to mention they have played more games as well. 1st place should not be based off of a preseason prediction where no one performed, but a regular season performance of playing quality teams.
(Also, if Bones makes those foul shots, that game doesn’t go into overtime, and St. George’s wins against Sanford.)

Just curious to know what preseason rankings are based upon??? They’re definitely not based upon preseason play right? So Sanford being ranked #1 was based off a prediction of returning talent. However, records should speak for themselves when you have played quality teams right? I agree with 84, Dover should be ranked #1 if they haven’t been beaten by any team in Delaware and because they still sit undefeated as a team program, not to mention they have played more games as well. 1st place should not be based off of a preseason prediction where no one performed, but a regular season performance of playing quality teams.
(Also, if Bones makes those foul shots, that game doesn’t go into overtime, and St. George’s wins against Sanford.)

Of course you would agree w/ Dover being #1 (no surprise there...LoL). Preseason rankings are usually based off of a combination of the previous year’s finish along w/ the players returning. Both teams returned just about everybody & Sanford was a Final 4 team last year. I am a downstate guy myself & want to see Dover win it all but ranking-wise I just don’t see how Dover would leapfrog them.

And let’s not ever speak on IFs...because let’s be honest...Smyrna led Dover by 1 w/ under a minute left in the game w/ the ball before their starting point guard Hampton went down w/ that knee injury. He was carried off the floor & Smyrna turned the ball over 3 straight times so if we are going to talk about ifs then what IF their starting point guard didn’t get hurt...works both ways.

Good points made by both of you...time will tell us all, while I believe Dover should be ranked #1, I think Sanford has the best chance to win it all. Glad to see people voicing their opinions without name calling, geesh...good luck to both teams, Go Riders, haha

Lol.. You really believe Dover should be 1.. Bringing up Sanford vs St.Georges to make a piont Dover should be 1.. Smh.. That's real weak..

Lol.. You really believe Dover should be 1.. Bringing up Sanford vs St.Georges to make a piont Dover should be 1.. Smh.. That's real weak..

I thought it was a very strong point- being coupled with the other points that I made with it. However, I think trying to explain why Dover shouldn’t be #1 would be a harder and weaker argument than trying to explain why they should be #1. I’m curious to know your reasons for thinking they shouldn’t be number 1 and why Sanford should.

Reactions: J12 and 84rider
Sanford/Dover no contest. Saw Dover at the Christmas tournament at STG’s. They are not ready for that big boy work either.
ijs

Scrappy Small ball wins games now in this league too! Those guards might be small but they play big every game! To say Dover is not ready for Sanford is hilarious. You don’t get to be 12-0 not being ready for any team that steps on the court.

Last edited:
Stan is a solid coach. His team is still young. It is my hope they get to play against each other in the semis or the finals.

I see that 7 out of the remaining 8 games on Dover's schedule are at home. That could be a lot of pressure rolling into the tournament...undefeated...

I am looking forward to seeing them play..

I see Dover rolling through the rest of their schedule. They certainly seem like the best team in the state and can’t understand why they wouldn’t be ranked number 1 in the state.

I think they split with CR
I could see that too, They also play Smyrna tonight which Smyrna had them beat the first time they met up. Dover is a great team of all juniors, should go deep in the playoffs this year. I can’t wait to see how the seedings will fall this year! Should be interesting.

Reactions: 84rider
I think they split with CR

@84rider, is that wishful thinking or you really think CR has what it takes to beat Dover this time around?...LoL It’s hard to run the table no matter who is on your schedule but I thought Tech or CR had the best shot the second time around & Dover ran through Tech again. As for CR they have looked good to me but I can’t get over how they allowed Dover to come in their gym & take their hearts right out of their chest that first game...Dover was up about 30 & finished them off by 20. Clark was a nonfactor that game & will need to step up for them to have a shot.

Dover gets a scrappy Smyrna team tonight who gave them their biggest scare so far this season.

Let’s not forget, Dover missed about 20 foul shots and had a ton of turnovers that first game against Smyrna. I don’t expect that this game.

Devils advocate....when a team has a lot of turnovers and they’re missing free throws, people say it was a bad game, which might be the case but imo it’s sometimes a disservice to the opposing team. Maybe the other teams defense caused some of those turnovers due to matchups and style of play.

Basketball is lame. Who cares

Basketball was cool when only a few special players could dunk or a few special shooters could hit 3s now everyone can even middle school kids can dunk and hit 3s. It’s not that special anymore maybe they should move the rim up a foot and move the 3pt line back a couple feet Then I might get interested again. Hell im over 50 and can hit a 3 pt shot and could dunk at 38. Just saying all you have to do is watch the last 3 minutes of a basketball game the rest is a waste of time

Last edited:
Basketball is lame. Who cares

Basketball was cool when only a few special players could dunk or a few special shooters could hit 3s now everyone can even middle school kids can dunk and hit 3s. It’s not that special anymore maybe they should move the rim up a foot and move the 3pt line back a couple feet Then I might get interested again. Hell im over 50 and can hit a 3 pt shot and could dunk at 38. Just saying all you have to do is watch the last 3 minutes of a basketball game the rest is a waste of time

Lmao, BiB86 = set shot Buford, the fish that saved Pittsburgh...the greatest basketball movie of all time next to Hoosiers

Devils advocate....when a team has a lot of turnovers and they’re missing free throws, people say it was a bad game, which might be the case but imo it’s sometimes a disservice to the opposing team. Maybe the other teams defense caused some of those turnovers due to matchups and style of play.

Agreed...lots of turnovers usually = good defense by the other team. I don't think Smyrna will win this game but let's not act like they didn't play a hell of a game last game & make excuses for the game being so close. Smyrna has 2 junior guards of their own in Sylvester & Smith that are aggressive & will come to play though.

Sidenote for tonight's Smyrna/Dover game...LLHoops just posted their midseason Top 25 player rankings & there will be 4 of them playing tonight & they are all juniors.

#6 Elijah Allen (Dover)
#8 Eden Davis (Dover)
#15 Nah'shon Sylvester (Smyrna)
#21 Jaheim Spencer (Dover)

Glad to see that Spencer has found a home at Dover & getting some recognition even though he may not score a lot of points he protects the rim better than anyone that I have seen this year.

Last edited:

That might be the argument for turnovers, but not foul shots or as many call them, “free” throws.

Actually it does contribute to free throws, fatigue is a shooters enemy in some cases especially when you have guards that pressure the ball on defense and then push the ball on offense. That’s why the best time to practice “foul shots” is at the end of practice when players are worn down. Every practice should end with suicides and then free throws.

Reactions: jvm3 and J12
Agreed...lots of turnovers usually = good defense by the other team. I don't think Smyrna will win this game but let's not act like they didn't play a hell of a game last game & make excuses for the game being so close. Smyrna has 2 junior guards of their own in Sylvester & Smith that are aggressive & will come to play though.

Sidenote for tonight's Smyrna/Dover game...LLHoops just posted their midseason Top 25 player rankings & there will be 4 of them playing tonight & they are all juniors.

#6 Elijah Allen (Dover)
#9 Eden Davis (Dover)
#15 Nah'shon Sylvester (Smyrna)
#21 Jaheim Spencer (Dover)

Glad to see that Spencer has found a home at Dover & getting some recognition even though he may not score a lot of points he protects the rim better than anyone that I have seen this year.

I would love to see someone else besides LLHOOPS put out a top 25 list.

Reactions: moneyballforme
Final
Dover: 69
Smyrna: 49

Dover minimized their turnovers and created a lot for Smyrna. Dover also made their foul shots tonight as expected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT