ADVERTISEMENT

What schools have the best basketball coaches?

I feel that Ralph Flowers is one of the best basketball coaches that I have seen in Delaware. He has shared a lot of stories with me about his playing days at LaSalle, after graduating he enlisted in the Army and shares a lot of good things with me about that. He has produced a lot of outstanding players that are playing at the Small College Division III level in DeShawn Lowman who is doing well at Neumann. When he is on the court he is like a normal basketball coach and is very direct and disciplined at his players. I know that it is tough for Concord who has mades the semi final round and never reach the final round and I always feel for Ralph who is a great friend to everyone and everytime I'm talking to him he is a real friend and an influence to me but being in his military direct manor the kids really listen to him. His 3 sons are always with him and listen to everything that Dad says.

Charter has a good one in Matt Rubincam. Good guy, and he gets every ounce of talent out of his kids.

I am saying Bobby Spath-Milford....first championship in 26 years for school in his first year with team......kids love him....did not have the best talent pool to work with like other schools but got the most at of all his players...smart guy/nice guy....hands down Coach of the Year!!! Vegas has Polytech as a 9.5 point favorite.....I'm taking the points!!! Could be close!!
This post was edited on 2/24 7:37 PM by CapitalGuy

I say the schools that win on a consistent basis are where the good coaches are....good coaches find a way to win

It would be hard to give a coach Coach of the Year at 12-8...pretty good season on a very down year for the Henlopen South (they may only get 2 teams in the tournament w/ Milford & Laurel after Delmar doing nothing to earn a spot the second half of the season). It's nice to see Milford in the mix though. As for taking those 9.5 points...don't bet too much cuz I think that game vs Polytech could get very ugly for Milford Friday night...LoL.

Hands down Coach Steve Re of Cape nobody got more with less than he did this year , 9 wins and should have been 2 more , final four last year , and basketball aside just a great guy for kids to be around (yes im a cape guy )

Cape can't even get their best middle school players to stay because of Re he doesn't adapt his coaching style to the kind of players he has

My downstate source told me Milford coach won coach of the year. CapitalGuy has the inside track. Congrats to Milfords coach.

That's a joke! His team is more talented then you guys think in my eyes they underachieved they have 3 of the best shooters in the state with two of the best all-round athletes in the state

Yes ONLY 12-8 but do you how many games they won last year? How many of the 8 losses were closer than anyone expected. Look closer than win-loss record..was the victory over the top offensive team in the state to win the South weighed into the thought?? No inside track just saying who made the most difference as a coach in one year-this year...It wont get ugly Friday....in fact it will be very pretty...watch how defensively aggressive well coached players can keep a game close with an obvious difference in the innate skill level and height.

Sanford, Poly, Concord, Hodgson & Dover just look how many kids from those programs played at the next level (not even necessarily D1)...that's the true measure of a coach!!!

This post was edited on 2/25 7:43 PM by coachquil

Coachquil I think you're on to something!! Let's do some reasearch to see how many kids from each program goes to the next level to play ball. Any one willing to reasearch??

@CapitalGuy, Yes I do know how many games they won last year...12 just as they did this year...LoL. As for Delmar being the top offensive team in the state those numbers should not even count considering the teams they played to put up those numbers like Salisbury School (MD) twice, Salisbury Christian, the weak Bayside Conference schools & Henlopen South teams twice...which is why Delmar will probably not even make the tournament. Milford's biggest win this year was vs a good Dover team during a bad stretch but losses to teams like Cape, CR & Woodbridge who did not even make the tournament leads me to believe that the spread vs Polytech should be about 20.

In that dover game woodlin and Allen didn't play anymore with 4:35 left in the 3rd quarter Allen had just scored 6 in a row the coach gave Milford that win

And if you're going to look at how close some of Milford's losses were then I think that it's only fair to also look at how close some of their wins were as well...like beating a Lake Forest team that has 2 conference wins over the past 3 years by 5 points twice this year including once n OT & also beating a Sussex Central team by 5 that did not win a single conference game win this year...interesting.

This post was edited on 2/25 3:14 PM by J12

Sanford:
Todd Hughes - DSU
Ant Mosely - UD
Sabri Thompson - North Western St
Kyle Rose - Highland CC (KS)
Austin Ford - St Vincent's St Mary's (PA) (D3)
Khalid Hart - Marist
Trevor Cooney - Syracuse
Deon Jones - Monmouth
Samer Madaroni - UD
Azeez Elleegood - Goldey Beacom
Edwin Santiago - UD

PolyTech:
Antonio DePina - Kutztown
Eric Laster - Layola
Anthony Myles - Rider
Kendall Gray - DSU

Concord:
Joe Cooper - Wagner
Will Chapman - Immaculata
DeShaun Lowman - Neuman
J W Lawson - Wesley
Jordan Dupree - Chowan University
Brandon Tunnell - Hampton

Hogdson:
Matt Peel - Del-Tech CC
Nick Richards - Kirkwood CC (IA)
Anthony Bowers - Wesley
Parris Ridgeway-Higgs - Goldey Beacom
Nafis Richardson - Paul Quinn College

Dover:
Kendal Williams - DSU
Doc Walker - Brown
Corey Crawford - Saint Michael's
Pieter Prinsloo - Marist

Polytech:
Tim McGhee- Emerson
Alphonzo Wright- Wesley
Brandon Legree- DelTech CC
Isaiah Strand- DelTech CC
Quinton Thomas- DelTech CC
Harry Johnson- Bard
John Williams- Alvernia
Noah Adams- Norwich

Originally posted by polytechbasketball1:

Polytech:
Tim McGhee- Emerson
Alphonzo Wright- Wesley
Brandon Legree- DelTech CC
Isaiah Strand- DelTech CC
Quinton Thomas- DelTech CC
Harry Johnson- Bard
John Williams- Alvernia
Noah Adams- Norwich
There were a lot of fine young men left off Sanford and Dover's lists as well... Mr. Bball is proud of Pierce, Waterman, and Wilson and there success's helping boys grow into fine productive young men. It was a man just like one of them that I credit for helping me get out of the hood over 30 yrs ago. IMO there success is priceless...

Keep up the Good Works Fella's

Play At Own Risk

So, are we saying that the #1 determining factor of whether or not you are a good HS basketball coach is how many of your players go on to play basketball in college?

i don't agree with that. It's more to determine who's a good coach. Good players will make it seem like you're a good coach but then again you have to get the players to play together.

any discussion of such has to include Concord's Coach Flowers, year in and year out regardless of who's in uniform they are a contender.

Originally posted by EducatedEye:

any discussion of such has to include Concord's Coach Flowers, year in and year out regardless of who's in uniform they are a contender.
Won't argue that, but boy did he coach a bad game against Hodgson this year (although he eventually won that one 2-0).

@CapitalGuy...I hope that you bet it all on Milford to cover the 9.5...LoL. I couldn't make the game but heard Milford led the entire way until the 4th qtr.

I did bet it all....that swarming D had P-Tech rattled ...it was fun and a true David and Goliath game....the stone didn't quite prevail but Milford should be proud....remember J12 you gave me 20 points...not 9.5...so you were easy to cover..Thanks!!

Not buying that horse manure about coach of the year is directly proportional to collegiate scholarships/prowess...the person who invented that crock probably also thought that Phil Jackson was the best coach of all time...look what he started with...Jordan...Kobe..in their primes..not much positive affect on Knicks now who needed it.....a great coach improves the level of play and players over the season considerably and surprisingly .....not by babysitting existing talent. Milford coach did both of these on Friday night and for the season.....with class!!!

CapitalGuy I don't know about Poly being rattled I saw some bad play like they weren't interested in the game. I didn't see any adjustments Milford made when Poly pressed them. One thing I can say is Poly better bring their A game when they meet Howard on Friday.

Let's just face the facts, Poly is not as good as they have been made out to be. Some of these Tech school cronies, along with the press (especially the State News, who actually took a few minutes away from their constant CR coverage to jump on the Poly bandwagon), won't be happy until the Tech Schools dominate in all sports. But I don't see it ever happening because they have no hometown feel to them. In fact, I'll be surprised if they win more than one game in the tournament. This post originated under the premise of what schools have the best coaches and which have the bad coaches, well Poly's coach was way outcoached by Milford's Coach last night.

Wait I thought to be out coached your team has to win the game...to keep the convo on course I thought the measure of success as a coach in high school is to consistently win & groom boys into young men, I honesty think Coach Pierce does good job w/ his kids & running his program!!!

FBLAX23 Sounds like you have a bone to pick with tech schools?? I thought Poly coach did a good job. Out coached by Milfords coach I didn't see that. Milford cracked under pressure when poly went to a 2-2-1 press. Milfords coach called time out 2 times and still didn't make adjustments. I'm a Sanford fan but went to watch Poly to see what to expect for the tourney and they played a bad game. Different from the games I seen them play against Dover at Poly and Smryna at Poly. The Chip going back to Hockessin!!

Spath did a great job coaching. He definitely made adjustments to the press because after the second timeout they didn't turn the ball over they were blowing layups and missing shots. He spaced the floor the way they were supposed to be. Let's be honest, if milford had the size, talent and senior experience poly had last night we'd be talking totally different. It was a great coaching exhibition by spath, he's just a year or two too early. A team full of heart ran into a team with plenty of talent and LOTS of experience. Poly did what a team full of seniors is suppose to do, find a way to win when you're not necessarily playing your best game. Don't speak on poor coaching if milford talent and experience wise was no match yet they led the whole third and a lot of the 4th. That's coaching!

Also Dwight Tingle if he ever coaches again is one of the best coaches in all of Delaware

I will be there in section 8 I already have my tickets for every game at the Bob including the girls bball tourney

Too bad all state teams will be already picked before the tournament ends because jordan Allen will be everyones mvp

BTW if you haven't seen Milford play be there Wednesday yo see sharp shooting Nesmith and martinez and two of the hardest playing gaurd in th e state Mr do it all Kravitz and Murray

Fanpdthegame51 didn't say Milford coach was a poor coach just seem like he didn't make adjustments to the press. Calm down it not that serious!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT