ADVERTISEMENT

Which football programs do you enjoy watching the most?

DelaNewb

Tackles too high
Dec 6, 2021
Sure. We all have our hometown favorites and that should probably never change.

But what other programs do you really enjoy watching or being around? Maybe it’s the stadium? Or concessions? Or style of play? Or how classy a program might be? Or maybe you like the team because of the school itself?

List some schools (other than your own) and the reasons why you like them!

Atmosphere is the best. Its like traveling back in time with the whole town shutting down to attend the game and support the team. The stands, which will be packed, are basically on the field. You can hear sideline conversations. Concessions are great too.
shhhhh!
247920759_10159299906205743_1667659932330348313_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DelaNewb
Atmosphere is the best. Its like traveling back in time with the whole town shutting down to attend the game and support the team. The stands, which will be packed, are basically on the field. You can hear sideline conversations. Concessions are great too.

Sounds awesome. I gotta get down there.

Sure. We all have our hometown favorites and that should probably never change.

But what other programs do you really enjoy watching or being around? Maybe it’s the stadium? Or concessions? Or style of play? Or how classy a program might be? Or maybe you like the team because of the school itself?

List some schools (other than your own) and the reasons why you like them!
Middletown Sallies Smryna easily. Top 3 programs in the State.

Places I have enjoyed games and the surroundings.

Delmar (all the things nomorenonstop said)
Mt Pleasant (love the old school concession stand and the vibe and the shaded stands from trees)
Archmere
Old Baynard (haven't been to the new)
William Penn (when they were cooking with Dooley)
Glasgow (don't know why but enjoyed the couple games there when they were decent)
Caravel
HVT (when they are winning, fair weather fans lol)

Have not been to a game at Smyrna or Middletown as of yet

Smyrna has a great following every week and they set off fireworks after a win. (Don’t think anyone else does that….Cape Henlopen usually has a great crowd too and their announcer has a lot of fun calling the games. Worst place below the canal from the games I have been to is St George’s…don’t understand how a new school barely has visitor stands, no lights and not a bathroom in site….The students had to build a concession stand because they didn’t have one when it was built in 2008.

I've never been to a game at Delmar but it sounds great. I will have to make a trek down there soon.

I love the old Baynard Stadium. Abessinio is nice, but it's like the New Yankees stadium vs the old Yankees stadium. The house that Ruth built was so nostalgic!!!

HVT was electric a few years ago. It wasn't the same last year.

Appo is nice. But I hate the sound of that loud ass cannon. Lol

St Mark's Graveyard is interesting. The way it is set up below the school is kind of like being in a "Bowl".

The atmosphere is exciting at Cape. The stands appear bigger than most schools.

The worst has to be Friends. There's no visiting stands. Plus the field is in an open space (not enclosed by fences). But Tattersall and staff makes sure they field a competitive team almost every year. If the stands and field were set up in a more traditional manner. I could only imagine how it would impact close games.

Archmere is always a lot of fun. As far as scenery goes, it's hard to beat the Patio as a backdrop. Tatnall is fun despite the challenges the program has faced. And I second Mount Pleasant. There's something about watching a game there. Conrad is always fun. They have my favorite PA announcer.

BiB, get yourself to Abessinio. You'll quickly forget that a halftime bathroom visit cost you most of the third quarter.

Middletown Sallies Smryna easily. Top 3 programs in the State.

I’m not necessarily asking for top programs. I can see which teams win the most consistent by seeing who won recently.

What programs do you like (aside from your own)? And why do you like them?

Places I have enjoyed games and the surroundings.

Delmar (all the things nomorenonstop said)
Mt Pleasant (love the old school concession stand and the vibe and the shaded stands from trees)
Archmere
Old Baynard (haven't been to the new)
William Penn (when they were cooking with Dooley)
Glasgow (don't know why but enjoyed the couple games there when they were decent)
Caravel
HVT (when they are winning, fair weather fans lol)

Have not been to a game at Smyrna or Middletown as of yet

Agree about the Mt Pleasant concession stand. It’s like a throwback shack. I dig it too.

Howard was awesome to watch a few years back. Well coached. Dynamic. Good sportsmanship.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
I’m not necessarily asking for top programs. I can see which teams win the most consistent by seeing who won recently.

What programs do you like (aside from your own)? And why do you like them?
Those are my favorites just because of how big each fan base is around the state. You can go anywhere in Delaware and people will know what they are like. They each also have great game day experiences. I haven’t seen many 2a or 1a teams play but there are definitely still some really good programs around the state.

It's still fun to see but I thought it was much better at the old Dover high school, but it was always great to hear the band come from behind the school and as they got closer to the stadium and got louder and I thought it really helped bring the fans to their feet and it was a signal for the players that it was just about game time. Overall it was a very cool sight to witness. And when Dovers stadium is packed itcan be a rowdy time

It's still fun to see but I thought it was much better at the old Dover high school, but it was always great to hear the band come from behind the school and as they got closer to the stadium and got louder and I thought it really helped bring the fans to their feet and it was a signal for the players that it was just about game time. Overall it was a very cool sight to witness. And when Dovers stadium is packed itcan be a rowdy time

That sounds cool!! I hope little traditions like this hold on and continue.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
William Penn. Saturday afternoon games at William Penn especially later in the season. Been a few years since I've been to one but I always respected that place and their teams.

I miss the good old days of Newark football. Going to a Friday night game at the Hive was always exciting. They had a hell of a run.

I was never a fan of the old Baynard stadium unless it was packed. Nothing worse than going to a game at Baynard with a sparse crowd. Was like going to a library. Sallies vs St Marks was always great.

As far as atmosphere goes I would say Middletown on a Friday night is the best. I've never been to Delmar (I want to go) and the last time I went to a game at Smyrna they had a grass field with horrible lights.

A few years ago I went to a Tatnall homecoming game. It was a blast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT